RCU Forums - View Single Post - Battery/ESC question
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2024, 05:57 AM
LLRCFlyer

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Which power type?

You say you are now considering electric, glow and gas for power options. A typical 1.60 size 2-stroke glow engine (as recommended by the kit) will produce anywhere from 3 HP for a Super Tigre S3000 to 3.7 HP for an OS or Moki engine. These big glow engines drink lots of expensive glow fuel ($25-30 per gallon) and you can plan on getting about 6 to 8 ten-minute flights per gallon (with lots of oil residue) when flown hard. I would suggest you consider electric or gas power for this size model. A 30cc gasoline engine will produce about 3.7 HP. DLE makes a nice 30cc single cylinder engine rated at 3.7 HP ($330). The RCGF Stinger 30cc twin cylinder engine ($390) is also rated at 3.7 HP and is very smooth due to the opposed piston configuration canceling out a lot of vibration. If you want something closer to the 3 HP Super Tigre S3000, consider the 3.1 HP RCGF Stinger 26cc single cylinder engine ($275) which is almost a direct drop-in replacement (mine turns an 18x8 prop at 7,560 rpm). The gas engines may seem expensive, but not when you consider the cost of big (6000+ mah capacity) 6S LiPo batteries. If you want to fly multiple flights at the rate of 2 flights per hour using 2 batteries per flight, you will need at least 2 (maybe 3) sets of batteries to do this. This means buying four (or 6) batteries at $100 each and then plan on replacing them every few years. Depending on the capacity (wattage) of your charger, it will take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half to recharge the batteries for the next flight. A high capacity charger like the Hitec RDX2 1000 AC/DC Dual Port Charger that can charge two 6S-6000 mah batteries simultaneously at a 1-C charge rate will cost about $280, but could also charge 4 batteries at once if a parallel balance board is used.

I generally don't use large 2-stroke engines or large electric motors. I usually find gasoline engines are more cost effective for my models weighing over 10-12 pounds when noise restrictions are not a prohibitive issue.

Last edited by LLRCFlyer; 03-26-2024 at 06:16 AM.