RCU Forums - View Single Post - RCU vs RCTech.net?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2022, 04:43 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by suburban_hooligan
nitro fuel isn't as expensive as you think. i got a quart of 20% Morgan Sidewinder brand fuel from A Main a few months ago for a whapping $13.00
I mix my own fuel for all of my glow engines. I have for about 8? Years. Car fuel is $20 a gallon to make 20% nitro 12% oil castor/synthetic blend. That’s my most expensive blend. FAI fuel for break-in is just under $6 a gallon to make myself. Breaking in on cheap fuel saves a lot of money when you have as many engines as I have. About a third of my engine collection are new and unrun engines. I’ve had some of my spare engines for sale for awhile, but the nitro car market is pretty soft. I think I’m gonna do a mild mod job on my SH .28 to soften the bottom end a little bit so it won’t flip the Jato end over end the moment the throttle is blipped. I had grabbed a Picco sport .21 square stroke that was supposed to be a Paris Racing modified, but it was just in a Paris box. I grabbed a Comp .21 Piston/Liner and conrod for pennies which has better timing - this was what I had slated for the Jato originally, but a .21 isn’t much of an improvement over a 3.3 if breaking 65mph is the goal.

Yep. I’m crazy. Another little Frankenstein job I want to do is fitting a Duratrax ABC replacement piston/liner for an OS .15 car engine into an OS FP .10 that will basically turn it into a super light weight .12 that I want to convert to diesel for my little Norvel 1/2a trainer.

Maybe only mildly crazy?!.