Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

No Room For UAT...

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

No Room For UAT...

Old 02-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Room For UAT...

Hey Guys,

I have an installation I'm doing on a Y/A F-16. This is the now out-of-production ARF version that has a very nice cockpit. The problem is that since I'm installing the cockpit, the regular-sized UAT will not fit anywhere in the plane with the Jet-Tech tanks installed. I've got a little header tank built from a 2-ounce DuBro tank (the hard plastic) with the pickup being a 3/16" brass tube that terminates in the center of the tank. No bag, no felt, just suspended where there shouldn't be any bubbles unless the main tanks run dry. Would you use it?

I know some guys won't fly without a genuine UAT, and other guys have thousands of trouble-free flights without ever having used one. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18072.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	1724643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13443.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	1724644  
Old 02-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: No Room For UAT...

Shaun, there is a mini UAT (2 oz) available that will replace your existing 2 oz header. Look at Dreamworks and do a search for "UAT".
Old 02-08-2012, 09:25 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I would definately check the 2 oz tank for bubbles/air after the first few flights but if the rest of your fuel system is tight, I think you will be just fine (and better than having no UAT at all).

Craig
Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 AM
ViperOneNL

Hi, I would say it depends on the total fuel setup.

1) 1 fuel tank and the clunck reaches all corners no uat needed
2) 2 parallel fuel tanks UAT mandatory
3) 2 fuel tanks in line, and cluck can reach all corners in the first tank seen from the pump no UAT needed.

Btw I always use a uat (and some times 2 in line) most of the time overkill but better save than sorry IF you have the space.

My 2 cents

Mick.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:17 AM
marc s

One of these should help, bubble trap and can be stood on end - Todd (Dreamworks) sells them

PM me if you need some advice on them.

marcs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82328.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1724669  
Old 02-08-2012, 10:41 AM
John H.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a felt clunk works great.

John
Old 02-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: John H.

John

I do that in my Kolibri powerd planes(funjet ultra and Baiojet), it does work well as those planes always flies with G-load.However on a slowflyer jet you will see zero G manovers where the clunk is at the back of the tank and the fuel in front and a flame out might occur.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Jame

I would also go with the GBR Jet CAT, had the same problem in our Flash, the install we wanted, didnt allow the use of a standard BVM UAT so we used one of Marc's Composite Air Traps, nothing wrong with any of the UAT's weve used before but you cant beat the quality, weight and cosmetics of the CAT's.

Kind Regards

Jame
Old 02-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: marc s

One of these should help, bubble trap and can be stood on end - Todd (Dreamworks) sells them

PM me if you need some advice on them.

marcs
I got the 750cc version of Marc's tank and it is very good quality! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 02-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Where are you guys getting the pleated paper filters from?
Old 02-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Xairflyer

No problem with a centre pickup tank works well, I dont believe UAT's are necessary with modern turbines, they were a fix for fuel problems in the past, modern turbines can cope much better with the odd air bubble.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Jgwright

Sean

I bought my last lot off US Ebay. They are not quite as common now as they used to be as the cars they were for are vintage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUv7j...4&feature=plcp

If you have a look at this video this plane has 2 tanks one drawing though the other and no UAT. The video ends before the plane runs out of fuel but you will get the idea that the pleated paper filter pickup will work until the tank is nearly empty. We have flown this glider till the tanks were empty several times and the engine does not stop however extreme the manoeuvres. Plenty of negative G manoeuvres, 10 G positive and -6 G negative.

I am about to make some pick ups for myself if you PM me I can make an extra one up for you.

John
Old 02-08-2012, 11:48 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can get them at "In line filters" in the UK, do a google search.

Mike
Old 02-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

I have a L39 Wren 44 powered. It has two tanks in series and a small 2 oz header just as you described. I usually land with one tank half full and never have bubbles in the header providing there is no leaks etc.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:36 PM
tobba

CAT's are brilliant - I'm running 4. Best quality, robust, simple and compact.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

..just be aware that there is a documented situation with some felt clunks can cause restriction in the fuel line and will actually cause the fuel to cavitate and form bubbles - exactly what you do not want to happen. I've had this happen to me, and have seen it happen to other people, consequently I never ever use felt clunks... YMMV...
Old 02-08-2012, 02:25 PM
marc s

modern turbines can cope much better with the odd air bubble
Maybe but most still don't like bubbles, as far as I know Hawke Turbines are about the only bubble tolerant turbine in the market and that's due to the combustion system being totally different to almost all other turbines.

A UAT provides other functions as well, if you have a faulty fuel system with an air leak the UAT will show evidence of this, a tank may not and is often not visible at a quick glance. A UAT is also a fuel reserve, just about every fuel propelled vehicle and aircraft has one so why not an RC jet, and that extra fuel gives you a margin to play with too should you get delayed in your landing plans.

marcs
Old 02-08-2012, 03:43 PM
FenderBean

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey shawn what fittings are those on your main tanks? looks like your clunk line has the ability screw in. and whats the inner diameter of your vents you installed?
im considering making my own for my next projects since I need 4 and that adds up, plus i just like to build things.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:24 PM
FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

Hey shawn what fittings are those on your main tanks? looks like your clunk line has the ability screw in.

Those have been around a while.. Todd has them for the custom tank builder type guys.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:10 AM
Xairflyer

A UAT provides other functions as well, if you have a faulty fuel system with an air leak the UAT will show evidence of this, a tank may not and is often not visible at a quick glance. A UAT is also a fuel reserve, just about every fuel propelled vehicle and aircraft has one so why not an RC jet, and that extra fuel gives you a margin to play with too should you get delayed in your landing plans.

marcs
I agree Marc with the header/reserve idea, my point was you don't need the superdoper £60 UAT a standard fuel tank with a centre pickup (as shown in the Jetcat manual) is all that is needed.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:34 AM
marc s

Just to clarify mine are not £60 for the 'standard size' type unit, and more importantly many simple plastic bottles collapse under suction - which as I am sure you know is not the best condition to subject your fuel pump to when trying to deliver a constant fuel supply to a turbine.

I'm thinking by the time you have faffed around buying the container, adding the pipe/fittings and making sure it does not leak, then mounting it surely £30 something odd is not exactly a kings ransom..... oh and I forgot the cost of your time too.

marcs
Old 02-09-2012, 06:53 AM
kevinthoele

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Shaun

My Avonds F16 flew 742 flights with 2oz header tank with no issues before a midair ended its career.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Xairflyer

Just to clarify mine are not £60 for the 'standard size' type unit, and more importantly many simple plastic bottles collapse under suction - which as I am sure you know is not the best condition to subject your fuel pump to when trying to deliver a constant fuel supply to a turbine.

I'm thinking by the time you have faffed around buying the container, adding the pipe/fittings and making sure it does not leak, then mounting it surely £30 something odd is not exactly a kings ransom..... oh and I forgot the cost of your time too.

marcs
Although I was not referring to yours, actually Marc your CAT's do look the £60 in the way that they are made, where as the well know one I was referring to, should be half that.

UAT's dont need to be made as a copy of the purple one's chemical bottle, any standard fuel tank can be used so long as you say it is rigid enough. I have used the 4&6 oz Dubro ones plus have just sourced some nice square solid ones that would also be ideal.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:29 AM
schroedm

Stick with a CAT. Much cheaper than the 'famous' one, doesn't collapse, works perfectly and is only a couple of quid more than faffing around making your own that won't look anywhere near as nice
Old 02-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Gordon W

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

You can get them at ''In line filters'' in the UK, do a google search.

Mike
Thanks Mike. Whilst I already have a few Fram 3388 and 3389 filters, both in use and on the shelf, that I bought cheaply from overseas a couple of years ago, it's good to know of a UK supplier. Faffing about making things and maybe even saving a few quid is one of the parts of aeromodelling I've been enjoying for 50 years.

Gordon

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.