Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

What planes are currently flying with an OS 1.60 FX?

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

What planes are currently flying with an OS 1.60 FX?

Old 01-18-2004, 03:41 AM
Langster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What planes are currently flying with an OS 1.60 FX?

Hi All,

Can anyone who is flying an OS 1.60 FX Ringed engine let me know what you are flying? I am quite intersted in this engine.

Cheers

Langfire
Old 01-18-2004, 04:45 AM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: What planes are currently flying with an OS 1.60 FX?

Langfire,
I am flying a Dave Patrick Extra 330L with an OS 160 Fx. Most of my flying is at or around 1/2 throttle, and I get between 18 and 21 minutes on a 25 oz tank of 15% fuel. The weight of the plane is around 14 pounds w/o fuel.
jef
Old 01-18-2004, 07:37 AM
Mike Bell
My Feedback: (6)

OMP GS540 profile
About 12# all up
The 1.60 FX is a perfect match.

Mike
Old 01-18-2004, 08:27 AM
Langster

Hi figueroa and Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. I was intersted in this engine due to its power, weight and reasobly low cost compared to engines of a similar class. I really like the style of planes that you are flying, I think that this is where I'm heading!!

Mike you state that winter stinks! How long does the winter put you out of action? In Australia we are challenged more by the sun. Its so easy to get dehydrated and sunburnt if you dont take suitable precautions.

Anyway, thanks for the information.

Langfire
Old 01-18-2004, 08:58 AM
Dazzler

I am flying

Hangar 9 1/4 Cap232 with OS160
World Models 1/4 Cap232 with OS160
Ultra Sport 1000 with OS160
Great planes 1/4 Giles 202 with OS160

All work great, run 10% wildcat fuel. No pumps!!!

Daz...
Old 01-18-2004, 12:42 PM
Mike Bell

ORIGINAL: Langfire

Mike you state that winter stinks! How long does the winter put you out of action? In Australia we are challenged more by the sun. Its so easy to get dehydrated and sunburnt if you dont take suitable precautions.

Anyway, thanks for the information.

Langfire
Winter seems to last forever. 5 months or so of mostly bad flying weather. Sneak a few days in and I do have a couple sets of snow skis when I get the jones really bad.
Have a front yard big enough for 40 size stuff so I don't have to go anywhere.
Sorry to hear about your trouble with the sun
When I first got married we thought about going to the land down under but kids, property, jobs and now grandkids put that out of our minds for good (unless my grandkids could come!)

Mike
Old 01-19-2004, 02:23 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

72"ws Extra from Creek Hobbies.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:49 PM
Dan767
My Feedback: (19)

Sig Extra 300XS
Perry Pump
18oz. Tank
Pro Zinger 18x6

Dan
Old 01-19-2004, 09:32 PM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

GSP Katana 140 72"
OS 1.60fx
BCM Pitts Muffler
Perry VP30 pump
Mejzlik 18x6 prop
16 oz tank mounted at CG

PERFECT!

-Tom
Old 01-19-2004, 11:45 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

I flew a buddies DP ultimate with the 160. Simply Awsome! It flew like a funfly! And boy would it ever torque roll! To fast to keep up with really!
Old 01-20-2004, 03:17 PM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DP Extra 14.0lb
18-8 Pro Zinger
5% Omega
24 oz tank
Bisson Muffler
Perry PV30 pump

Performance is just like I like it. Almost, but not quite, unlimited vertical. I think 14 pounds is about the high end for this engine.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:55 PM
nedyob

Sig Extra 300XS
24 oz tank
18-6 APC Prop

H9 Edge 540
18 oz tank
18-6 APC Prop

NEDYOB
Old 01-20-2004, 04:00 PM
nedyob

Sig Extra 300XS
24 oz tank
18-6 APC Prop
BCM Pitts muffler
15% Cool Power Fuel

H9 Edge 540
18 oz tank
18-6 APC Prop
BCM Pitts Muffler
15% Cool Power Fuel

NEDYOB
Old 01-20-2004, 09:57 PM
LeeL
My Feedback: (1)

I have a O.S. 160 fx in a Great Planes extra 300s Patty Wagstaff. a friend of mine has a H-9 edge 540 with one and another friend has a sig rascal 110 with one all three fly extreemely well
Old 01-21-2004, 03:11 AM
Langster

Thanks all,

I have recently purchased an OS 160 FX and with your feedback I am compiling a list of planes that this engine will suit. Many of the aircraft listed appear to be what i am looking for so i know that it will be a difficult choice.

I do have another question, however, did most of you step straight from (possibly) smaller size aircraft to the large scale models you have listed, or did you use another less expensive plane with the OS 160 FX to "get the hang" of larger scale and then purchase what looks like more upmarket planes?

Thanks for any responses.

Cheers

Langfire
Old 01-21-2004, 02:05 PM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

O.S. 160 FX in the G.P. Giles G-202 1/4 scale and the W.M. Giant P-51. Really fine engine. I have had several of these engines and no complaints. Needles can be a bit difficult to get just right, but once set the engine is very reliable, smooth and sounds great. Plenty of power for the size and weight. I only wish O.S. would come out with an engine as reliable and smooth in a 200+. If you get this engine just make sure you don't run it on the lean side. It likes a visible smoke trail behind it. Some pilots use pumps on their 160's. I have never used a pump and I'm very satisfied with the performance.

As far as the move to larger scale airplanes, I started out on a trainer and then went to an Untrastick with an O.S. 46 FX. Really nice engine as well. I would only suggest that you honestly consider your flying skills and budget before going to say a larger 1/4-scale airplane with this engine. Once I made the jump from 40 sized airplanes the first thing I noticed was that the cost doubles from around 500.00/600.00 for a 40 sized airplane, complete with engine, servos, rx. etc. to over 1000.00 and up,up -----up. The Giles by G.P. is probably one of the best values overall, IMHO, though you can buy a better and more expensive airplane. The Giles has a bit of a history, both good and bad. The pilots who like it, really like it. The pilots who dislike it, hate it. The value though is hard to beat. Yes, there are simple mods. you have to make to this airplane, but they are simple to do. Much posting info on this airplane is available on RCU if interested. Likewise, the Giles will snap at slow speeds if you set the elevator throws too aggressive. Just don't do this and the airplane is fine. I really like mine.

You will also need to get a more powerful starter, more powerful battery and basically retool everything when you make the jump. Skills and budget should really be considered before you take this step. It may help to ask someone in your club, who has good experience and knowledge of your flying skills, for help on this. They can help you select the best airplane for your budget and skills. I hope this has helped.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:56 PM
ilikeplanes

For me, I have to go up in size incrementally. Otherwise, the expense and set-up can be a bit overwhelming. If you build confidence gradually, I believe you have a better chance of success. Before I had the DP Extra, my biggest airplane was a CGM Sukhoi. Even though the DP only has a few more inches of wing, it's much bigger, more expensive, and more intimidating than the Sukhoi. In other words, most 72" airplane will require less financial and psychological commitment than a 78" airplane. If you like the idea of the OS1.60 (it's a great engine) but don't want to put down $400-$500 on an airplane, you could try it on a Stick or Stinger. That could save you a little money and simplify building and set-up.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:47 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

The OS FX 1.60 is a good match for any 120-size airplane and is a good glow-fuel motor for most 1/4-scale aerobats. It will superpower the 12-pound airplane and provide a strong power plant for airplanes to 16 pounds. It's biggest value is its reliability and economy. Out of the box this engine will demonstrate 1-flip starting and sip fuel at the 1oz/minute rate.

I've installed a Moki 180 on my Aeroworks X300L Profile and am thinking seriously of pulling that motor and replacing it with the OS FX 1.60. I currently have one on a Creeks Hobby Sukhoi that I can't seem to be able to fly without ripping off the landing gear on 2 of my last 5 flights.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:50 PM
rfw1953

hilleyja is right. I forgot about the 120 size. A 120 stick would be a good choice for this engine. Plenty of power.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:09 PM
Langster

Thank you all for your feedback.

I was also thinking along the lines of purchasing something more simple (and an example was proved such as the Stick 120) and then working up to a more costly aerobatic model (e.g., G.P. Giles G-202, Great Planes extra 300s Patty Wagstaff or Sukhoi). It is useful to hear that people have actually done this as there is likely to be more success in following what other people have learnt from expanding their experience. However, in relation to my own skill level I would be confident with a .40 low winger before I went anywhere near the first 1.6 plane. Maybe this year, maybe the next, but it is useful to have ideas that you can develop and improve over time.

Cheers and thanks again.

Langfire
Old 01-30-2004, 05:53 PM
Frankenthumb

I will be putting mine in a Dave Patrick Ultimate, once they get around to shipping it to me.

I have to disagree with something that rfw1953 said about getting a bigger starter for this engine. If you prime it before you kick it over, it will start on the first flip every time (with the sometimes exception of the first start of the day)

I fly with mhawker alot, and he starts his 160 in the following manner:

1. Glow driver not attached, throttle wide open, plug either the carb or muffler with your thumb and turn the prop over several times until your finger gets wet with fuel.
2. Close the throttle to the starting position, and turn (not flip) the prop backwards twice.
3. Attach the glow driver, press the prop backwards against the compression and bump it backwards into the compression, but not all the way through. Actually, Mike just grabbs hold of the spinner and flips it backwards into the compression and it fires up, almost every single time.

There are lots more tips and threads about this engine here, just do a search.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:22 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Yup. I bought a Dynatron when I got this 160FX. I now have the world's largest starter for a .46 size motor.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:37 PM
rfw1953

Frankenthumb - I have to admit that I have never tried this one. I have always used a starter on the 160. Originally I had one of those starters you use with most trainers that cost around 17.00. It didn't have enough power to turn a 160 over. I use an APC prop, which as you know is very sharp. I wouldn't think about trying to flip start this engine with this prop. I cut my flip finger one time just attempting to turn the engine over since I hadn't flown it in a while. After I cut my finger I thought, gee, that was dumb. Now the DA, with a Menz, hey, I will flip start this one in anytime. I upgraded to a Magnum starter with an 18 am battery. This was the ticket, hot or cold start.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:25 PM
ilikeplanes

I got back into the hobby a couple years ago. I still haven't bought a starter. I flip everything from a Saito 72 to on OS 160. The bigger they are the easier they are to start. I would add that after I prime and attache the glow driver, I grab the prop FIRMLY and SLOWLY turn it through compression. If you feel a kick at TDC, you're ready to go. The spinner back flip works first or second try.

Although I use wood for my 160, I use APC on my other engines. I ALWAYS sand the sharp mold flash off. Otherwise, they're like knives.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:00 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ilikeplanes

I got back into the hobby a couple years ago. I still haven't bought a starter. I flip everything from a Saito 72 to on OS 160. The bigger they are the easier they are to start. I would add that after I prime and attache the glow driver, I grab the prop FIRMLY and SLOWLY turn it through compression. If you feel a kick at TDC, you're ready to go. The spinner back flip works first or second try.

Although I use wood for my 160, I use APC on my other engines. I ALWAYS sand the sharp mold flash off. Otherwise, they're like knives.

Grabbing the prop with the glow driver on can be extremely dangerdous.To any less experienced pilots reading this, may lead to some unsafe practices..and injuries.If hanstarting ( I still do ) please use a "chickenstick" I use a large wooden dowel wrapped with duct tape to prevent damaging the prop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.