Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Stinson Reliant-Your Views

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Stinson Reliant-Your Views

Old 01-20-2002, 07:14 AM
FlyingPete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stinson Reliant-Your Views

Started to built Top Flite Stinson.. Would like to have the feedback of Members that have built one.. Any bugs in the plans? Does it fly good? and or any other members that might like to comment..Will fly it with Gas 41cc. (US Engines)..If ever I get it finish.
Old 01-20-2002, 02:16 PM
RC4RC

Default Stinson

You will love this airplane. It flies just great. I built mine according to plans but beefed up landing gear by adding and epoxying in some additional balsa blocks under ply landing gear area for extra strength. I flew mine with a Moki 1.20 2 stroke with more than ample power. I flew most of the time just a little over half throttle. The us41 is overkill IMHO. but that is what the throttle is for. Mine weighed 19.5# with interior kit. I am speaking in the past tense. Lost it in the sun and totaled. Im still not over it and it was 6 mo. ago. Gotta build another one someday. Ron
Old 01-20-2002, 05:21 PM
budcop
My Feedback: (23)

Default Top Flite Stinson

Hi flyingpete, I built two of these kits for other people, they are a very rewarding kit to build and time consuming, I agree with the gentleman abovr that a 41 gas is overkill, but, as you buils the kit take your time and check the Top-Flite web page every now and then, they will post any changes to the manual or address problems their, the top flite kits are a very high quaility kit in my opinion, I think you will be proud of the results.....Bud
Old 01-20-2002, 07:01 PM
FlyingPete

Default Reply

Ron, Sorry to hear about the lost plane, I would not sleep for a week if this would happen to me . Time consuming kit.. They suggested a 35cc. but burchase a 41cc. that was on sale.. Will surely hold back on that trottle.. Will also beef up the landing.. Thanks for the info..Pierre
Old 01-20-2002, 07:45 PM
FlyingPete

Default Reply to Bud

Thanks for the info.. Went to top-Flite... Got some info ..Thanks .Pierre
Old 01-20-2002, 09:13 PM
SteveD-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SR9

Im using a Saito 170 R3,a 3 cylinder radial engine in mine.Flys great with an 18x8 wood prop.Zero vibration from this jewel.You can see mine at
http://community.webshots.com/script...bumID=23853678
Weighs only 20lbs with a coverall and dope finish
Steve
Old 01-21-2002, 10:49 PM
FlyingPete

Default SteveD

Your address is not working... try again..
Old 01-21-2002, 11:20 PM
SteveD-RCU

Default webshots

not working? Did you click on the address? Its a shorter version than I copied from webshots.It works when I click on it..Steve
Old 01-22-2002, 01:52 PM
George in TX

Default Pic no good

Steve, I can't see the picture either. When I clickon your link a dialog box comes up with the following message:

Community Webshots Error

You must be logged in to use this feature.

Guess one has to know the secret handshake in order to view the pictures there!
Old 01-23-2002, 12:24 AM
SteveD-RCU

Default think I got it

http://community.webshots.com/user/sdaly100
try that it should work..Steve
Old 01-23-2002, 12:35 AM
budcop

Default Stinson Reliant

Hi Steve, After looking at your pictures I'm ready to get a kit and start on #3 , for myself, that plane of yours is super!!!! Bud..
Old 01-23-2002, 01:30 AM
George in TX

Default Too cool!

Wow Steve, you certainly did a fine job on that Stinson. That radial engine with the matching dummy cylinders is just too cool!
Old 01-24-2002, 12:46 PM
sleonard

Default TF Stinson

I have been building for over 40 years, have built full time for a living for over 15 years, have worked for a major kit manufacturer as a prototype builder, have built scale, jets, and pattern, as the builder came in 3rd at 2001 Top Gun in Team Scale, and I am currently finishing up a Top Flite Stinson kit for a customer.

I can truthfully say, without any reservation, that this is the worst kit that I have ever built in my life. It is poorly engineered, the wood selection is horrible, and I have yet to find a part that actually fit.

Sam
Old 01-24-2002, 12:53 PM
Stuka Jon N
My Feedback: (33)

Default Stinson Kit

Sleonard You are absoluty right I am a scratch builder and I also felt this was a poorly designed kit. Too many laminations to make the parts If I wanted to scratch build thats what I should have done. The landing gear area is very poorly designed and does require beefing up John N :stupid:
Old 01-24-2002, 03:26 PM
SteveD-RCU

Default T/F kits

All Top Flite kits are CAD designs now ,thats why they are like jigsaw puzzles when you put em together.I agree that they are not designed well some areas,but all kits have some design variations, and flaws.No big deal.Everybody builds different.Everbody modifies or changes something on a kit or a scratchbuilt.No big deal..My 2 cents..Steve
Old 01-25-2002, 03:42 AM
FlyingPete

Default Stinson

Thanks Steve , I was able to see your Stinson, Love the color..Pierre
Old 01-28-2002, 03:40 AM
budcop

Default Stinson / Fiberglass ?

I wanted to ask you guy's that have or are building the Stinsons if you are using the plastic or the fiberglass replacement parts, was thinking of using the fiberglass replacement parts pkg from Stans fibertech this time....Bud
Old 01-28-2002, 04:54 AM
FlyingPete

Default Stinsom/Fiberglass

Saw the kit last Spring at dealer in Hemet, CA. Priced at $125.00..Very impressive, looked great. Most probably will be going fiberglass. Pierre
Old 01-28-2002, 05:03 PM
SteveD-RCU

Default Fiberglass parts

I went with the glass parts from Fiberglass Specialties.Theyare expensive but I think its worth it(especially the cowl cause of those blisters)...Steve..
Old 03-20-2002, 09:00 PM
hookemut
My Feedback: (3)

Definately NOt a kit which falls together! However, once built, it is a beauty and a snap to fly. All-up weight uncovered, with a YS-140=12pounds! Initial thinking was to use a Fox 2.4, would have been grossly nose heavy. YS-140 will swing the same prop easily, but more costly fuel.
Old 03-20-2002, 11:09 PM
FlyingPete

hookem,
Tell me how long have you being flying it. Did you make any major modifications. Did you built it with working flaps. I am more then half finish on the fuselage and allready it looks great.
Flyingpete
Old 03-20-2002, 11:36 PM
hookemut
My Feedback: (3)

Bonjour Flyingpete,
Yes, there were a few mods: I lengthened the wing tubes and the aluminum tubes by 3 inches each-felt that with no working struts we needed support further along the span;the plywood plate into which the gear halves are bolted was not secure enough at the forward end, so this area received beef-up;the cabin top area which mounts the wing tube was reinforced.
It is built with and will be actively flown with flaps. I fly a 105" Stinson L-5-the flaps are very effective on these big high-wing cabin models.
I am amazed by the number of these models being over-powered.
Keep on gluing!
Jim
Old 03-21-2002, 12:45 AM
RC4RC

Default Reliant

Having the remains from a HARD crash I observed the aluminum wing tube was bent at approx. a 15 deg. angle, however the wood structure in the wing and the fuse. that the wing tube slide into was completly intack. It appeared to me that these areas built per plans were adequate in strength. The landing gear area is a necessary strengthening area, sooner or later you will get that less than perfect landing.
Old 03-21-2002, 12:50 AM
FlyingPete

RC4RC,
Thanks for the added info.. I am beafing up the landing gear right now,, You are confirming what I tought. Flyingpete
Old 03-22-2002, 08:51 PM
planelazy

I bought one from a friend.It has a Brison 3.2 in it and it fly's great.It will fly lika a pylon racer if you throttle up,not that it should be flown like that.The flaps are very effective and really slow it down for landing Tim.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.