Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Civility in the threads, or lack thereof.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Civility in the threads, or lack thereof.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:26 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Civility in the threads, or lack thereof.

Why is it that some guys here feel COMPELLED to express their opinions here in the forums in a caustic manner that would cost them teeth if done face to face at the local field?

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that a handful of vultures are cruising the jet threads, just waiting to arrogantly pounce on a perceived vulnerability and call someone "stupid" in an effort to enhance their own self esteem? Does this not reflect poorly on our community?

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the Mods and their role. I'd like to see a more aggressive stance on the "Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass ..." front. (disclosure: I myself got "modded" a year ago. I had it coming to me and learned from it)

Say ANYTHING, as long a it's done in a respectful manner would be my wish............I think the hobby would benefit.

Thoughts?
Old 09-02-2008, 03:43 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Civility in the threads, or lack thereof.

Easy peezy lemon squeezy.

Afterburner1(Doug-E-Fresh) is a "special" kind of guy. He'll make you giggle your n***s off.

Just let it roll off yer back.

Others here (G.Kerr Jr., e.g.) are really mal-intentioned and just like to belittle to make you feel dumb.

I was just starting to think what a great job the mods are doing here, so lets not ruin this direction.

Doug wasn't insulting anyone (I know him, he's just funnin') just giving his opinion. Maybe he rubbed you and Andy the wrong way, don't take it personally, though (its just a hobby )

Raf
Old 09-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Gordon Mc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: highhorse
Why is it that some guys here feel COMPELLED to express their opinions here in the forums in a caustic manner that would cost them teeth if done face to face at the local field?

<snip>

Thoughts?
Thank goodness I don't have the kind of 'local field' suggested here.

If you don't like someone's opinion or attitude, why not ignore it (or ask him to be nicer) rather than resorting to violence and knocking his teeth out ???
Old 09-02-2008, 04:20 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will tell you the problem that your incurring highhorse that has been a problem since the internet was invented. It's PEOPLE!!! People are different, some people see one side and others see the other side of a person. Until you personally KNOW someone, you can't really take things too personal, especially across a forum on the internet. As Raffy stated our boy Dougy Doug Fresh is a unique guy which is exactly how we like him. Until you have spent time with him you really can't pass judgement. He rarely posts with true ill-content towards someone.

Also a very good point above to Gordo, who wants any of that garbage?
Old 09-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the Mods and their role. I'd like to see a more agressive stance

screw that noise

no thanks
Old 09-02-2008, 04:48 PM
smokin-gun
My Feedback: (18)

here you are again - the great ravinni - being the example of what this thread is trying to discourage.
oh ! and by the way show me a post where i have belittled anyone except your d__b_ss.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:19 PM
frothingslosh
My Feedback: (6)

My momma said . . .

"There are three rules you should follow if you're going to talk about someone else . . . your statements should be TRUE, KIND, and NECESSARY!!!"
Old 09-02-2008, 06:03 PM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Smokin-gun?? Is that you G. Kerr Jr.?

Howdy partner.

And in your PM you sent me, no I've never been married, so I've never been lucky enough to loose a wife!!!

I will acknowledge you this once. You are who you are, no one can help you. Remember that when you look around the poker table and don't see the idiot, that person would be you sir.

Like I've said before, I have no quams in letting anyone know my low opinion of you.

Good Day Sir,

Raf
Old 09-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: frothingslosh

My momma said . . .

"There are three rules you should follow if you're going to talk about someone else . . . your statements should be TRUE, KIND, and NECESSARY!!!"
Hmmm ... so what do you do when you join in on a discussion about e.g. Hitler ? What kind things can we say about people for whom kind words are inappropriate ?
Old 09-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Synthetic
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: ravill

Howdy partner.

And in your PM you sent me, no I've never been married, so I've never been lucky enough to loose a wife!!!

I will acknowledge you this once. You are who you are, no one can help you. Remember that when you look around the poker table and don't see the idiot, that person would be you sir.

Like I've said before, I have no quams in letting anyone know my low opinion of you.

Good Day Sir,

Raf

Do I smell popcorn?

Old 09-02-2008, 06:23 PM
highhorse

GEEEEEEEEEEEEZ LOUISE!!

I start a thread about civility and look what happens !?!?!?!?

I should start one titled "EFF YOU". Then maybe folks would play nice !
Old 09-02-2008, 06:25 PM
highhorse

ORIGINAL: Shok

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the Mods and their role. I'd like to see a more agressive stance

screw that noise

no thanks
Case in point.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:30 PM
highhorse

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

<snip>

Thoughts?
Thank goodness I don't have the kind of 'local field' suggested here.

If you don't like someone's opinion or attitude, why not ignore it (or ask him to be nicer) rather than resorting to violence and knocking his teeth out ???
You miss my point. No teeth are getting knocked out, cus no-one behaves at the field the way they do when hiding behind the internet. The teeth-knocking thing was just a metaphor anyway.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Patrick Frost
Banned
My Feedback: (88)

I have noticed at Jet Events that the people that make MOST noise on Forums are either:

A. Really small/short people (like me)

B. Cant fly a Jet

C. Dont fly a Jet but have one in the basement that's better than yours and gonna build it someday but currently dont have time to build.

D. Dont have friends

E. Have a little pee pee (thats me too)

F. Wanna be a part of somethin but know Jack Squat

G. Cant get laid even if you paid a fat girl to have sex with the guy

H. Extremely intelligent but not very good people skills

I. Maybe all of the above
Old 09-02-2008, 07:03 PM
highhorse

Afterburner1(Doug-E-Fresh) is a "special" kind of guy. He'll make you giggle your n***s off.
As Raffy stated our boy Dougy Doug Fresh is a unique guy which is exactly how we like him
I assumed he's a decent guy and said as much when I addressed his post in another thread (assuming he's Afterburner??). But THIS thread is not specifically about any one person. It's just about people being rude in general here in the threads.

There's NO way we will all agree on anything. That's a given and inevitable. I just don't see why folks can't be NICE and CIVIL and RESPECTFUL when their opinion differs !

And to clarify my reference to the mods being more aggressive: I think they should be more aggressive toward TONE rather than TOPIC.

Ironically I had pro SHOK (vs TBM) posts in mind, which were apparently canned for subject matter as opposed to tone, as have been other threads. I understand totally where SHOK is coming from based on his history with the mods and am on his side in the big picture, but I think "screw that noise " is a perfect, albeit MINOR, example of which I speak. It's an unnessecarily crude, inflamatory and disrespectful phrase implying that my opinion is "noise", presumably because it differs from his. Never having met the man, I'd still wager that he is neither crude or disrespectful and that his post is not a true example of his character.

Which underscores my point all the more, no?
Old 09-02-2008, 07:06 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Wonder where I fit......... I thought I invented mouthing off in this forum....
Old 09-02-2008, 07:06 PM
highhorse

ORIGINAL: Patrick Frost

I have noticed at Jet Events that the people that make MOST noise on Forums are either:

A. Really small/short people (like me)

B. Cant fly a Jet

C. Dont fly a Jet but have one in the basement that's better than yours and gonna build it someday but currently dont have time to build.

D. Dont have friends

F. Wanna be a part of somethin but know Jack Squat

G. Cant get laid even if you paid a fat girl to have sex with the guy

H. Extremely intelligent but not very good people skills

I. Maybe all of the above

LMAO I resemble that remark!!
Old 09-02-2008, 07:09 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The best policy is "If you don't have something nice to say then shut the f*** up"
Old 09-02-2008, 07:13 PM
highhorse

ORIGINAL: seanreit

Wonder where I fit......... I thought I invented mouthing off in this forum....
Also funny Sean....they say that acceptance is the first step to recovery !!

As a reformed and recovering loud mouth myself, I think I'll start a 12 step program for thread hot heads. I will be the first to stand up in the meeting and proudly declare " Hi, my name is Highhorse. I have a loud mouth, a small pee-pee, a better jet, and I'm smarter than you."[8D]
Old 09-02-2008, 07:17 PM
ianober

ORIGINAL: ravill

Howdy partner.

Raf

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best policy is "If you don't have something nice to say then shut the f*** up"
I think this is good in general, but sometimes people just need to be woken up!!
Old 09-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

not trying to be crude, or rude to you at all, just saying, Im all against more moderation

this forum in the past has been subject to way too much / over moderation []
Old 09-02-2008, 07:22 PM
ianober

ORIGINAL: Shok

not trying to be crude, or rude to you at all, just saying, Im all against more moderation

this forum in the past has been subject to way too much / over moderation []

I feel you on that one Ronnie, LESS is more
Old 09-02-2008, 07:28 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (5)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that a handfull of vultures are cruising the jet threads, just waiting to arrogantly pounce on a percieved vulnerability and call someone "stupid" in an effort to enhance their own self esteem? Does this not reflect poorly on our community?

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the Mods and their role. I'd like to see a more agressive stance on the "Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass ..." front. (disclosure: I myself got "modded" a year ago. I had it coming to me and learned from it)

Say ANYTHING, as long a it's done in a respectfullmanner would be my wish............I think the hobby would benefit.

Thoughts?
I think that you made four spelling mistakes.....it should be handful, perceived, aggressive, and respectful. (OK, just kidding.)

I basically agree with what you are saying. There is no cost to being civil and a few recent threads have arguably crossed the line. Some folks seem to cross the line and we all know who they are. A little restraint goes a long way.

Regards,

Jim
Old 09-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Ron S

Received 206 Likes on 126 Posts

"Afterburner1(Doug-E-Fresh) is a "special" kind of guy. He'll make you giggle your n***s off."

I'm straining to figure out what body part n***s is...

I'm usually pretty good at Wheel Of Fortune...

Edit: Can I buy a vowel?
Old 09-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: Patrick Frost

<snip>

Umm … so you are telling me that at jet events, you go around checking the size of people's wedding tackle … ?

Odd. Very, VERY, odd.

You must be related to Dave Presta.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.