Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Let's talk DX18 here!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 02:12 PM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

i just downloaded the new dx 18 update (1.05), installed the sd card, on startup, it does not do any update? ( i did save or export my models 1st) very strange, the TX is on my model and ready to go. any thoughts?
Old 02-28-2014, 02:15 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Answered in the other thread.

Andy
Old 02-28-2014, 02:34 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't find the other thread....

orthobird, make sure that your PC has "show file suffixes" turned on.

Having that off is a frequent cause of problems.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:39 PM
AndyKunz

He posted in another forum. It was answered over there, and he's up and running now.

Andy
Old 02-28-2014, 02:40 PM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

i got it downloaded. thank you Andy!
Old 03-01-2014, 04:58 PM
foundryratjim
My Feedback: (93)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a 108 QX HD quadcopter. It bound to my DX18 and it flies great. the problem I am having is with the camera. I have the push button switch (I) programmed to run the camera. Pushing and holding the switch will allow the camera to switch from still to video mode per the instruction manual. I can't get the switch to work with either taking a picture or starting a video. No matter how long I hold the button the camera just switches from still mode to video mode. there are switches on the camera to allow me to use it manually and the camera works fine. I don't know if the problem is the camera or the switch on my DX 18. Any suggestions?
Old 03-01-2014, 07:37 PM
AndyKunz

I think this is probably best handled by calling our PRoduct Support line. They can walk you through it step by step in real time.

Andy
Old 03-02-2014, 06:30 PM
foundryratjim

Thanks Andy. I found this web page and followed their setup and everything is working fine.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:33 PM
foundryratjim

Thanks Andy. I found this web page and followed their setup and every thing is working fine now.

http://www.rcproreviews.com/blade-18...nner-settings/
Old 03-03-2014, 01:49 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andy,
I just found this thread. I purchased a DX18 this weekend at the Southeast Model show. I am impressed with it and want to install it in the jet I am building. Ihave been using the 9503JR and this has a similar feel to me. I am using the Powerbox iGyro system with dual 6.6 LiFe batteries. I purchased two of the Spektrum 12 channel X-plus receivers this morning for the setup. My questions are.
1. Is there any known issues using the DX18 with the Powerbox iGyro system?
2. Using the 12 channel receivers will provide me with 12 true channels without using the expansion module, correct?
3. Is there any way to program the trainer switch at the top left of the radio to be used as a speed brake (want to activate an electronic two way air valve for speed brake deployment (normally off - push= on)?
4. How to I tell if my radio has the latest software update? where do I look?
Thanks for the help
Tommy
Old 03-03-2014, 02:22 PM
AndyKunz

Originally Posted by DocYates
1. Is there any known issues using the DX18 with the Powerbox iGyro system?
They work together. I know one of the jet jocks here has one in his plane. I don't know anything about it other than he doesn't complain about anything, so I guess it's all good. I don't know what could cause a problem, so I don't see anything that would make you unhappy.

2. Using the 12 channel receivers will provide me with 12 true channels without using the expansion module, correct?
Correct. You WILL need to enable X-Plus (Frame Rate screen) in order to be able to program channels X+1 and X+2, but once they are enabled and bound you can disable it again.

3. Is there any way to program the trainer switch at the top left of the radio to be used as a speed brake (want to activate an electronic two way air valve for speed brake deployment (normally off - push= on)?
Yes. On the Channel Assignment menu select NEXT to get to the Input screen. Just click on the channel you want it, then click the button, and that will put it on there.

4. How to I tell if my radio has the latest software update? where do I look?
Go to the System Settings screen. Select NEXT several times until you get to the Serial Number screen. The version is at the bottom. While you're on that screen, insert an SD card. Then highlight and click EXPORT.

Put the card into your PC. Open the file My_DX18.XML and copy the serial number. Paste that into the registration page at https://community.spektrumrc.com

This will allow you to see what the current version is (we just released an update last week). Download it and copy to your SD card. Be sure to download the two PDF files underneath the orange UPDATES button. Read the PDFs before continuing!

Boot the radio with the card inserted. Wait a couple minutes and it will give you a radio with a bunch more features than it had earlier.

Andy
Old 03-04-2014, 12:27 PM
DocYates

Andy,
Final question...for now.
My software is version 1.02. WHen I registered it shows the latest is 1.05, but it does not say I must install all other versions previous to this 1.05. I have no models programmed yet, so I am not worried about erasing anything. Can I go ahead and download 1.05 to my SD card and fire it up? or do I need to do the 1.04 then go back and upgrade to 1.05?
Tommy
Old 03-04-2014, 12:42 PM
AndyKunz

You only need to install the latest.

Be sure you export all before you upgrade!

Andy
Old 03-04-2014, 02:14 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice update! Me Like!!!

Last edited by opjose; 03-04-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:16 PM
AndyKunz

No need!

You power up the radio using the trainer cable, and that leaves the RF turned off.

Andy
Old 03-06-2014, 04:54 AM
DocYates

OK Andy.
The new unit is upgraded with 1.05 software with no issues. Here is my problem and perhaps you can help.
I am using the Powerbox Royal SRS system. The antennae plug into the Powerbox unit and the receiver(s) attach to the unit thru the bind plu.
I sucessfully hooked up the 9 channel receiver with the unit and it works fine. The 12 channel receivers (SPMAR12020 Spektrum) which I just purchased will not bind when attached to the unit. I can bind them outside of the unit with no issues, but when attached to the Powerbox and go thru the bind process the bind fails everytime. I have tried different frame rates and settings (DSMX and DSM2) and it will not bind. The sattellites blink like they are looking but then they go off and the radio says "Bind Failed".
What am I doing wrong? I have a significant investment here and am coming up on a deadline. The paperwork all says it should work, but I am about to pull my hair out. Perhaps I should have gone with the 9 channel receivers and the X-plus Expansion module, but am not sure that would work either.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:51 AM
AndyKunz

It's important to have 6' between transmitter and receiver during bind.

Are the remotes DSMX? The AR12020 won't bind using DSM2 remotes.

Andy
Old 03-06-2014, 06:53 AM
DocYates

The satellites are all DSMX, they came with the 12 channel receivers. The receivers will bind when not hooked up to the Powerbox, but will not bind when hooked up. I have tried binding it from many feet away, and there is still "bind Failed".
The 9 channel receiver works fine with the setup in DSMX.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:18 AM
AndyKunz

I suggest you contact PowerBox. Perhaps there is something about their bind that is different from our DSMX bind. Like, maybe it only tries a DSM2 bind.

Andy
Old 03-06-2014, 09:13 AM
DocYates

OK, here is what I have learned, just when you think you have it figured out....this technology is too confusing for an old man like myself.
Per the "expert" at Powerbox.
The Royal SRS with internal iGyro, is actually a 12 channel receiver. Though this is never made clear when you buy it or when you go thru the setup in the manual. The plug ins for the receiver (labeled RX1/RX2) at the bottom are not used for the receiver, and you only plug in the satellites. It is bound using the DSMX protocol.
I will try this again and see if it works. It is amazing that it will work with the 9 channel plugged in, but not the 12, go figure. In any case, I will report back my findings so that someone else will not look as dumb, nor spend the extra $400, that I did to learn this lesson.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

The satellites are all DSMX, they came with the 12 channel receivers. The receivers will bind when not hooked up to the Powerbox, but will not bind when hooked up. I have tried binding it from many feet away, and there is still "bind Failed".
The 9 channel receiver works fine with the setup in DSMX.
Okay I'm confused and part of it is that my PowerBox Royal SRS is in California with my builder so I cannot go look. But I did hit their website again and as far as I can tell, you only use the satellite rx's on that PE and I think you have to have four of them, with the rx ports being for Futaba stuff. So how did you get the thing to work with a 9 channel rx?

Did you try setting it up with just the satellites?
Old 03-06-2014, 09:22 AM
DocYates

Zeeb,
That is good question, I don't know how I got it to work. I setup the whole plane thinking I had to use the receivers, and set it up with two JR921s and the DSM2 satellites. I wanted to go to 12 channels so bought the 12 channel receivers, plugged in the DSMX antennaes and it would not bind. Kept the antennaes plugged in, and replaced the receivers with the Spektrum 9 channel DSMX receiver and ti bound with no problems, and works fine. Go figure. I wish the book / manual was more clear on this issue. When I purchased the Powerbox SRS I was told it did not include the receiver and would have to be plugged in, which is what I did with male to male plugs included in the unit.
I feel like a DA.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Zeeb,
That is good question, I don't know how I got it to work. I setup the whole plane thinking I had to use the receivers, and set it up with two JR921s and the DSM2 satellites. I wanted to go to 12 channels so bought the 12 channel receivers, plugged in the DSMX antennaes and it would not bind. Kept the antennaes plugged in, and replaced the receivers with the Spektrum 9 channel DSMX receiver and ti bound with no problems, and works fine. Go figure. I wish the book / manual was more clear on this issue. When I purchased the Powerbox SRS I was told it did not include the receiver and would have to be plugged in, which is what I did with male to male plugs included in the unit.
I feel like a DA.
Okay, question answered; you don't use anything but the satellites on that PE and you have to set it up for which system you are using before you power up the unit with the satellites plugged into it. In this case you got lucky as it's default is DSM2, othewise you might have cooked your satellites. It doesn't require four satellites but that is suggested. Here's the link to the PowerBox website and the Royal SRS unit, slide down the page and watch the videos, they are WELL WORTH YOUR TIME or at least they were mine...lol

https://www.powerbox-systems.com/pro...royal-srs.html

Last edited by Zeeb; 03-06-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:27 AM
DocYates

Well, I set it all back up, removed the receiver, plugged in the satellites and it booted up and bound perfectly. Don't know how I had been convinced that a receiver was needed, but it worked fine with the nine channel installed....haha
Next question. I am transitioning from the JR 10X and 9503, and loved the flap setting on that radio. Is it possible to program the left three position switch fro flap setting like the JR radio? I don't see it in the menu, and know it probably has to be done under flight modes, but do any of you have a quick and easy solution?
Old 03-07-2014, 05:33 AM
AndyKunz

You need to select a wing type (Aircraft Type screen) with flaps in the name. Then you get a new menu Flap System which you use to define the actions you want.

Flight modes aren't necessary. You can pick the activating switch.

If you're in glider mode then the Camber Presets allow you to define the operations.

Andy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.