Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:30 PM
barak1001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

I have no complaints about my V4 with a 2900kv motor. It'll climb the same way he describes the BOL climbing with a 3000kv.

I'm just suggesting the 2000kv motor based on the fact that aircrash feels that the 3000kv is too high rpm. Perhaps getting a lower rpm motor with an 11t or 12t pinion would give him the most satisfactory flight performance.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:31 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: aircrash
PS. Peter those xtreme motors seem powerful. Imagine with bigger blades...
Hey again Spiros,

It was a long time ago - I don't want to think about it really

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 01-22-2010, 09:39 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: barak1001
I have no complaints about my V4 with a 2900kv motor. It'll climb the same way he describes the BOL climbing with a 3000kv.
I'm just suggesting the 2000kv motor based on the fact that aircrash feels that the 3000kv is too high rpm. Perhaps getting a lower rpm motor with an 11t or 12t pinion would give him the most satisfactory flight performance.
The [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9439359]C20 brushless Outrunner 2050kv motor[/link] which you posted has a 3mm shaft that is not long enough to push on a BOL pinion. In order to experiment a bit - I would have to have the same size shaft at the BOL 2mm (or 2.3mm for a BL motor) 'cause I don't wanna have to start my pinion collection all over again with a larger inside diameter

P.S. Could you search for an alternative rather than me having to disassemble & make my own motor shaft.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Ddaddy

Nice manual Simon, thank you!

Now what happened to my antenna!

LHS is out of blades and BOL is grounded : ( MSR aint! : )

Looked at the blade sr....seems pretty docile...be interesting side by side with HBFPV2

Now I'm thinking skipping a step and going to the belt...weird I can fly it better in clearview than the HFPV2.....And the MSR, IMO, fly quite different in clearview than in real flight....not as responsive in clearview.

Oh, what horn fits the BOL servos? The ones I got don't : (

Oh heli gods...please let my blades and camera be delivered tomorrow!

O2! I'm a noob to heli and only had 1 death dive...my take on what I saw was so much energy taken away from the 2 blades to rudder the heli basiclly eliminated lift from that set of blades. And being in a turn....nose down and heli down! Not unusual in my mind if half the lift is removed!

Calm skies,
Ken<br type="_moz" />
Old 01-22-2010, 10:22 PM
barak1001

You'd need to get some 3mm piano wire and have a section of it sized down to 2mm. Then you can cut two shafts out of that. A machine shop should be able to do it for under $5 in the U.S. Not sure about in Australia.

Another alternative would be to get bearings with 2mm ID holes and make yourself a bushing out of a piece of KSM11 aluminum tube. Then just use a longer set screw to hold the shaft to the can.

Here's an alternative, some of the guys flying lama v4 tried out RZ400 motors and said they had a massive power increase compared to the 2900kv c10's, but notice it's a higher KV motor than people are already using.

My guess would be that it would work in a BOL as well. They come with 2mm shafts, but are extremely expensive.

http://www.neumotors.com/Site/Razor_Motors.html
Old 01-22-2010, 10:24 PM
aircrash

I'd try something like this with various pinions:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6634

If I remember right a coaxial is supposed to have about 1.5x the lift capacity of a single rotor chopper. So it would stand to reason that two 2000kv motors would provide the same lift as a single 3000kv motor on a single rotor of the same weight.

Maybe my thinking is screwed up, but I'd go with a more efficient/lower kv motor initially. It doesn't make much sense that a 3000kv is the right size for the BOL when a 2900kv works so well in a Lama V4.
Hi again barak1001,

Yes, your consideration is true.
Even if I have not tested yet I`ve seen some videos and as per other`s calculations the ~3000KV has more rpm than a stock brushed motor.
It`s not a direct replacement.
But most people like the higher rpm, as they have the skill to fly it, while having the advantage of more speed.
Even some novice/ begginers buy a ready brushless BOL, which is more sensitive, so I suppose I won`t have problem either.
If they have no problem then I have no problem.

But that does not mean I won`t do the best for me.
So as you say a coaxial heli has more lift than a single rotor. That`s correct. ***That`s why I mentioned one such a motor can handle 3D. See the true helicopters there. Those who transport heavy loads are coaxial, to have lift power (and stability).
But consider that a coaxial BOL when it turns one rotor looses power, so the power per rotor should be adequate. Maybe 2000KV is not the one, but something close to 3000KV.

*** and imagine it can run on heavier and longer blades. In BOL that motor has not that much load so it can run with more available torque and at more rpm at a given throttle responce.

The reason I and Simon have chosen 3000KV to 3100KV is that this is the available in that size, price, and torque.
Don`t forget torgue, it must have some. Smaller size motors don`t have the same torque.
Especially needed when you carry load, like a camera, and other things.

I`d suggest going safe and try ~3000KV motors as Simon has listed. Except if you find one that seems good alternative and have the money to test it.

Spiros
Old 01-22-2010, 10:34 PM
barak1001

I've lifted over 472 grams AUW with a 2900kv motor on a Lama V4 with 10% throttle left using 6amp ESC to power them.

Using the 3mm tube that I listed above you can pretty much have your pick of motors, as most of your brushless motors come with a 3.17mm bore and some adapters made from the tubing would allow you to use 2mm shafts with any of them. Simply a matter of gluing the adapter inside the bearings.

That opens up a wide range of cheap motors from shops like http://www.hobbyking.com
Old 01-22-2010, 10:37 PM
aircrash

You test it, I`ll buy it.
I`m open minded and I don`t think that mine is better than others.
If something is better for me (for another it may be crap I don`t care) then I go for it.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:40 PM
barak1001

There's the unfortunate part, I don't have any 3mm bore motors on hand currently to test the theory with. Though I have two sets of 3.17mm bore motors coming in the mail for my T-rex 450.

I'll order some of the KSM11 tube and test fit it on my T-rex motors when they get here.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:03 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Ddaddy
Nice manual Simon, thank you!
Now what happened to my antenna!
LHS is out of blades and BOL is grounded : ( MSR aint! : )
Looked at the blade sr....seems pretty docile...be interesting side by side with HBFPV2
Now I'm thinking skipping a step and going to the belt...weird I can fly it better in clearview than the HFPV2.....And the MSR, IMO, fly quite different in clearview than in real flight....not as responsive in clearview.
Oh, what horn fits the BOL servos? The ones I got don't : (
Oh heli gods...please let my blades and camera be delivered tomorrow!
O2! I'm a noob to heli and only had 1 death dive...my take on what I saw was so much energy taken away from the 2 blades to rudder the heli basiclly eliminated lift from that set of blades. And being in a turn....nose down and heli down! Not unusual in my mind if half the lift is removed!
Calm skies,
Hey again Ken,

The Esky servo horns that fit are Esky 7g ([link=http://www.rc711.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1903]THESE[/link] - although out-of-stock here - maybe try ebay.

P.S. The HB King2 & the HBFP in Clearview are nothing like their respective models to fly, so I am assuming (although I have never flown a Belt model) that the file in Clearview is much easier to master than the actual......
P.P.S. IMHO going from a stable coaxial to a Belt for a newbie such as yourself would be a mistake!
Old 01-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Ddaddy

Thanks Peter,<div>
</div><div>And I agree on the noobie Belt answer....but I got a MSR quickly and boy was it a hand full! but now the coaxs are so easy....what I struggled with flying them thru differnt rooms of the house is now a piece of cake...and now I can do it with the MSR easily.</div><div>
</div><div>Peter, get an MSR.....it's more fun than the BOF because....many reasons....If you don't love it, I'll buy it from you.</div><div>
</div><div>Ditto clearview....nice and fun and APPROXIMATE!</div><div>
</div><div>Just don't want to get bored right away with the HBFPV2 and the Blade SR looks great....but did you see how much he was moving the controls and how little it responded? Although a noob, I think I'm well past that..... (try that with an MSR....it will be out of sight (or crashed) in a heartbeat!)</div><div>
</div><div>For everyone, I visit many forums both proffesional and personal hobbies, I have to say you Heli RC folks are the most respectful I've ever seen, I salute you.</div><div>
</div><div>Ken</div>
Old 01-22-2010, 11:19 PM
barak1001

For servo arms you can use Eflite servo horns on an Esky servo.

Part number EFLRSA100. They fit both the 7g digital and 8g analog servos.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:30 PM
pgroom_68

Thanks Peter, And I agree on the noobie Belt answer....but I got a MSR quickly and boy was it a hand full! but now the coaxs are so easy....what I struggled with flying them thru differnt rooms of the house is now a piece of cake...and now I can do it with the MSR easily.
Peter, get an MSR.....it's more fun than the BOL because....many reasons....If you don't love it, I'll buy it from you.
Ditto clearview....nice and fun and APPROXIMATE!
Just don't want to get bored right away with the HBFPV2 and the Blade SR looks great....but did you see how much he was moving the controls and how little it responded? Although a noob, I think I'm well past that..... (try that with an MSR....it will be out of sight (or crashed) in a heartbeat!)

For everyone, I visit many forums both professional and personal hobbies, I have to say you Heli RC folks are the most respectful I've ever seen, I salute you.
Hey again Ken,

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zmtn4djmgnj/Blade MSR clearview.rar is a file in Clearview of a modified MSR. It is a model file - not a flying example Download & save to clearview/models. Enter via clearview and try flying one of them - is it like the real MSR model?

Enjoy

P.S. D@mn. Mediafire has removed it. I'll try to upload it again - I've tried four times, with no success[:@] - maybe another server? No luck there either[&:] I'm sure that I posted a link a while back, but I'm not sure as to which thread it is on.........
Old 01-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Ddaddy

Hi Peter,

Don't bother...thats the one I'm talking about (it was talked about earlier somewhere and I have it Dl'ed/installed)...and yes, it's much different.

Ken
Old 01-22-2010, 11:48 PM
pgroom_68

Hey again Tony,

While searching for the above Eflite servo horns, I came across [link=http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/E_flite_Jet_Ranger_Body_Set_Blue_Red_BCX_BCX2_p/eflh1263.htm]THIS[/link] Jet Ranger "Body set" in similar colours to the average BOL. You could join us with a similar-looking bird by adapting your Lama4 mechanics[sm=wink_smile.gif]
What do you mean "no?"

Old 01-22-2010, 11:50 PM
pgroom_68

Hi Peter,
Don't bother...thats the one I'm talking about...and yes, it's much different.
Thanks Ken - I was changing colour[&:][:@][&:][:@]

Old 01-23-2010, 12:25 AM
barak1001

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

Hey again Tony,

While searching for the above Eflite servo horns, I came across [link=http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/E_flite_Jet_Ranger_Body_Set_Blue_Red_BCX_BCX2_p/eflh1263.htm]THIS[/link] Jet Ranger ''Body set'' in similar colours to the average BOL. You could join us with a similar-looking bird by adapting your Lama4 mechanics[sm=wink_smile.gif]
What do you mean ''no?''

I can get a better looking jetranger body cheaper if I wanted to fly scale.

I think I'll just fly my HK450 when it comes in and retire the Lama to the shelf.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:04 AM
sgbfly

Hi Tony,

You may well have a point. I very nearly tried the 2600KV version of the ADH-300L motor, with perhaps 11T pinions (the calculations come out good and 11T meshes especially well with the main gear).

Instead I decided to compare brands (Esky EK5-0004 3100KV vs ADH-300L 3000KV) to see which is smoother. The result was the Esky but I think the ADH has the edge in terms of which flies the better.

I would love to try the lower KV motor but my canopy has been off far too many times of late &amp; I just want to fly it now

Simon

Old 01-23-2010, 04:17 AM
sgbfly

ORIGINAL: Buz

... I've just discovered that the "Death Dive" is still alive even with an extended shaft. I could not believe my eyes when I saw it start... I was in a fairly high speed turn, and when stopped the turn, the BOL went nose right....and down, and I could not recover in time. So, I shut the throttle down and let it land on it's side.
Hi Buzz,

Was it a left turn? If so my I suggest that the dive is caused by the flybar rpm slowing causing instability which really shows its hand at the point you end the turn (especially if you are a little late on the throttle). IMO they prefer fast right turns. Just a thought.

Simon

Old 01-23-2010, 05:41 AM
aircrash

Hi Simon,

When I was in search for the EK5-0004 and I couldn`t find them I had calculate that a EK5-0005 needs a 11T at 7.4V.
But I had read that the 3900KV does not work well with 7.4V
Now my calculations tell I need a 13T for the 3100KV@ 7.4V, I don`t have one but I can try with the 11T and see how it goes with 7.4V and if it goes well then I`ll buy some 13T pinions.

But first Imust see what`s going on with the 11.1V, the calculations are good for 9T, but that pinion size is too small and will wear out soon, and maybe it does a tight fit between the two gears.

Spiros
Old 01-23-2010, 11:00 AM
sgbfly

Hi Spiros,

^ Interesting but I am a little busy now. I will get back to you tomorrow with some thoughts.

Simon
Old 01-23-2010, 03:39 PM
rikybob

Hi all! I hope some of you got some flying in today...here in sunny Florida, I woke up to beautiful skys but 10kt winds [&o]

I just got confirmation from the good folks at RC711 that I have 4 DPHD5020CE inner shafts comming via Hong Kong express. I won't be modifying screwdrivers anytime soon, but its good to have that option!

Here is a question for the collective. In preparation for the maturing process of moving to my next bird, I would like to know more about the programable DX series of the Spektrum radio. Are any of you using it? Are there resources I can start utiliizing to teach myself?

Yours fraternally,

Rikybob
Old 01-23-2010, 04:10 PM
aircrash

Hi Rikybob,

Well here it is cold enough not to fly, about 6&deg;C or 43&deg;F. A bit rainy too and cloudy. No sun at the usually sunny Athens.
Some may say that this temperature is good, but I`m used to higher temps...

As for the Tx I won`t help much but I`ll give my point.
There was a time I wanted to buy a good Tx, but now I`m thinking I have spent much on R/C.
And a better Tx is good only if you go to CP, which I won`t go even if I`d like to 3D.
Once I had gone to a local shop and asked about a CP. He told me to forget about them. Ignore them like they don`t even exist. You fly one second you repair one day, he said. And he sells only CP heli, but he did not want to just sell me...
If you crash with a BOL and damage the inner shaft then imagine a CP what damage it gets. Tail boom (as the belt goes through), shafts, links, needs adjustment, etc...
Not to mention the cost, not only to buy the RTF, but to keep repairing it...
So my point is to think twice about it before you proceed.

I guess no 3D for me. I`m crazy but not that much.

Spiros

Old 01-23-2010, 04:24 PM
rikybob

Spiros,

I always enjoy your input! I think the Eflite Blade SR is the next logical step for me. I will master (looks like not too hard much like the BOL) that lil devil and move up to a good radio to take advantage of the machines full potential.

At least thats what I "think" I want to do. I will keep my VERY forgiving BOL for all the downtimes. I just want to advance to the next step. Check out the videos (there are only a few) of this neat little transitional bird!

Again, always appreciate your take!

R/B

PS. Do you sleep?
Old 01-23-2010, 04:27 PM
retired92

Rikybob,

You stated in your last entry that the folks at RC711 said that you have 4 DPHD5020CE inner shafts coming. The part number you reference on their web site indicates that is for the 'metal upgrade kit w/extended shaft'. Are you saying that they will ship only the extended shaft if requested? If so that is great...........................Don

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.