Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 02:09 PM
J-MICHAEL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

ORIGINAL: evdreamer

Jeff,

After I read your link I found this website http://www.rcmheli.com/gyros.htm Then right under the gyro it says not for use with Digital JR servos. After I read that the 600 is grounded until I get the correct gyro. Too bad the Spartans are all sold out. A couple of days ago I found one place that had them in stock. I should have hit the buy button on it.

Nick

Nick ~

Yeah I hear ya partner.... That's a bummer to ground it. But its best to be safe huh ? I spent a good hour and a half last night between 2:00 A.M. and 3:30 A.M. reading a lot of info about the JR servos and the Futaba gyro's and much was said in various places in not doing so... Half of them it seems would fail in flight suddenly... I had to look this up, because I really wanted the JR 3500 for the 500... But the first person I thought of was you, and boy, oh boy, that JR servo on the rear of that 600 ESP of yours is like $140.00 not including tax and shipping...!...YIKES... Not to mention the damage to that ESP in a crash, and the safety concerns to yourself, as I know you fly somewhat close range to yourself and such...

The Spartans are superb gyros... Maybe in time I'll be able to afford one to try out... I know of a few guys who are running there JR 3400 tail servos with the 401 on the Rex 450... I need to warn them, as a possible malfunction could happen in time...

Man.... I'am still paranoid on the darn TT conversion ! I've spent the last 2 hours researching on Run-Ryder and Heli-Freak in regards to the TT and the belts... It seems they are fragile those TT crown gears... And intended for the more advanced fliers...? The belts are more forgiving, but the TT's are nice for better effeciency, no ESD/static electricity, small increase of power, extra bit of pop, they also auto-rotate better, and although they do have more moving parts than the belts they offer less friction and are smoother all around... But one tinsy touch in the grass could blow them out... Also the nice thing with the TT conversion is there is no differences in belt tension due to the temperature like belts can experience on a very cold day, or a very hot day...

I know I'am not looking forward to installing it, as its all new to me, and I get overwhelmed a bit because its unfamiliar territory... But at least your familar with them to say the least... And at least Glenn has to suffer along side also in the assembly aspects... I'am still going to install it, but on this Friday's order I'am going to order a bunch of spare parts for it I think, so it can help take the worry out of parts going south on it...

Anyway, catch ya guys later,

~ Jeff
Old 11-09-2008, 02:19 PM
rotarydoc

Nick, Jeff,

Nice find to both of you guys on the JR digital/GY401 issue...I guess the guys at Hobby Hangar are a pretty sharp bunch...glad I asked them about it!

Nick, sorry to hear that you are grounding the 600...but it's the right thing to do...no sense risking a major mid-flight failure on something that would cost that much to fix...not to mention possible personal or property damage...

Thanks for the good news on the frames, I am hoping, but by no means setting a time limit, on at least getting the heli together before the day is out, and maybe the electronics installed, but probably not set up.

At least I have next weekend free, no work. That also played into my decision to do the 500 now rather than later. I HATE working Saturdays, making for a 6 day workweek, leaves very little time or energy for the helis!!

Jeff, That was also one of my concerns...a minor tail blade strike can do the gears on the TT in really quick. I should have picked up some gears while I was at Hobby Hangar...darn it.

Just about caught up on the chores, time to build!!

Glenn
Old 11-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Carljw

Ya im on every day been retired 3 years. I am on to learn most of the time just been into helis since last Christmas. Have had a B400 for a few mounths and just got it to hover and a little foward flight since i took the head apart and put everything in the right order and got the swash leveled out in all 3 positions and Hiteh servos installed. Been waiting a long time to get the CP Pro up again waiting for the E-Flite Cp Pro2 DD tail setup. Took my G90 off it I got off Looky
and am useing it on the B400.
Carl
Old 11-09-2008, 02:30 PM
rotarydoc

Jeff,

Last night, you mentioned some fiberglass "practice" blades I'll call them for the 500 at Heli Direct....the cheapest ones I could find is some no name CF blades for like $49...might as well get Align blades for $10 more...

Can you steer me in the proper direction?? LOL!!

Glenn
Old 11-09-2008, 02:58 PM
J-MICHAEL

ORIGINAL: rotarydoc

Jeff,

Last night, you mentioned some fiberglass "practice" blades I'll call them for the 500 at Heli Direct....the cheapest ones I could find is some no name CF blades for like $49...might as well get Align blades for $10 more...

Can you steer me in the proper direction?? LOL!!

Glenn

Glenn ~

Here is some from Heli-Direct (Blades for the 500) :

Fiberglass jobber for $24.99 :

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=5457

CF blades...Oh... These are also the ones that came in my 500 CF kit also... They are $59.99 :

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=7069

Align 425D CF blades for $59.99 :

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=7787

Align 425F Blades $49.99 :

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=8144

425mm FRP blades $29.99 :

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=3164

425mm HQ CF blades $49.95 :

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=1856

& then you can also just look under the "blade section" in general, and there's more there also that isn't listed here... Remember for the 500 on Heli-Direct there is things listed in various places... Look under the general categories, and also under the regular parts list, and also under the upgrades list.... There is nicer quality ones like MS composites for $75.00 and such in the general categories...

Alright, I gotta go fly the Vapor outside for a bit and torture it some...LMAO...

~ Jeff

Old 11-09-2008, 03:04 PM
evdreamer

Jeff,

I understand what you are talking about with installing the TT because I felt the same way on the 600 and left it for last. But once I did it I thought it was easier than installing a belt. And it shouldn't be that hard to replace the gears on the 500. You could just take the 4 or 6 screws out holding the plastic assembly to the frame and pull the whole assembly out with the boom and tail gear box.

I just ordered a JR G770 gyro because I don't want to wait for the Spartan to be available. I think the quickest it would be available is in late December and I want to fly a lot in between now and then. And a review by someone on Readyheli said it was almost as good as the Spartan, so I was sold on it. I also got RDLohr's mount for the Gaui, so that should free up some room and help the balance on the Gaui.

Glenn,

Keep the pictures coming on the T500 even though that might slow you down on the build process. Good thing I read that link by Jeff because I was going to take the 600 out to the baseball field and fly my mild 3D routines.

Nick
Old 11-09-2008, 03:48 PM
evdreamer

I just got back from flying the 450 twice and it seems so small and it seems like I have so much room to fly in the backyard. I was doing funnels and circles better and I was doing faster backwards figure 8's in both directions. And the 450 sounds so quite and underpowered compared to the 600. I think flying the 600 in the backyard made me loose my intimidation of flying the 450 there and I started to do things I was afraid of.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:55 PM
rotarydoc

Jeff, Nick,

Thanks a ton for the links....I have a hard time navigating Helidirect sometimes...I didn't even see the blades you came up with...I am definately going to get the $29.99 ones, they got pretty good reviews..the 24.99 ones sound awlful!!

I will feel alot better with cheapies on there at first, just in case. I guess I should order some tail gears too...and a battery!!

Nick,

Good to hear that you went with the 770...I might have also, but Hobby Hangar was out of them.

That is very cool on the comparsion between the 450 and 600...I am hoping for similar results too!

I'll post some build pics, I didn't want to bore you guys too much..LOL!!

Glenn
Old 11-09-2008, 04:03 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Here are the frames, now completed. I move on to the landing gear next.

I sanded the edges, and leveled everything with the main shaft in place, as per the manual and Finless.

I took apart the bearing blocks to put green loctite on the races, but they were already done. I put blue on the bearing retainer plates to be sure.

Back to work!

Glenn
Old 11-09-2008, 04:04 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

The pics would help...LOL

Glenn
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn38025.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1068870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28901.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1068871  
Old 11-09-2008, 04:09 PM
J-MICHAEL

Nick ~

I'am really hoping to feel the same way, once I ween myself with the 500, and then backtracking and flying the 450... Because now the 450 won't be my baby, as it was before, and I should then be able to fly it like I stole it and beat it around more....LMAO... The 500 will be the big new baby, and I'll be sucking my thumb with that, after I stop crappin' my drawers from flying it because of the size diff though...

I'll post some build pics, I didn't want to bore you guys too much..LOL!!

Hek..... No way Glenn...! Not a bore at all... In fact your build is my guiding light for when I get to mine in about 8 or 9 days... The more info and pics you offer, the brighter the light for me to move ahead...

Winds picking up here... I've been waiting to fly the Vapor, but I'am not sure I can muster being brave when there's gusts present with the wind... It only weighs 12 grams, so it can be carried off pretty quick ! Over mountainous terrain, its not to good of an idea... But still.... I just may have to try... LMAO... It actually flies fine in 3-4 mphs, as it just floats and glides with the wind... A leaf with a prop is what I like to describe it as... The MCX you can't even fart, or its down in the dirt ! No more rotor wash, no more flight so to speak ! and the wind or even a hint of wind takes that effect away very quickly....

~ Jeff
Old 11-09-2008, 04:13 PM
J-MICHAEL

The one thing I hate about the Trex's is there ugly light blue bump stops on the skids ! How about grey or black or something that has a consistent color scheme ? Those things stick out like a booger on the wall ! I'll definately be ripping those off....LMAO... With my 450, I did right away !

Old 11-09-2008, 04:45 PM
rotarydoc

Jeff,

Yeah, you took the words right out of my mouth about now having a "beater" heli, in the B400's now...I used to be so afraid to crash it...but now, with having the 500 as my "real" heli, and after a pretty major rebuild, I'll be more likely to push it more...but NOT INVERTED for a little while...LOL!!

Got the skids and canopy mounts installed, pics on the way...

I was going to try to fly the B400 post rebuild today, but I'm quickly losing light, and I still haven't set the final blade pitch, tracking, etc...so it's going to have to wait...besides, I'm having too much fun building!! LOL

Nick,

The next step involves the servo install...I think I'm going to skip that for now...and move onto the tail assembly, while I know you're going to be around...LOL!! I can do the servos later on, if I have time..

Glenn
Old 11-09-2008, 04:50 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Here's the next round...added the landing gear, canopy mounts, battery tray.

Yep, those little blue things are pretty out of place there, Jeff!

Time to break out the tailbox and boom...and all that goes with it...LOL!

NO BFH, Jeff....LOL

Glenn
Old 11-09-2008, 04:51 PM
rotarydoc

Glenn

And....the PICS!! DUH!!

Glenn

Name:	Bz78717.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1068890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14826.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1068891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10397.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1068892  
Old 11-09-2008, 04:59 PM
rotarydoc

Guys,

Gotta love Align's attention to details...I am amazed by the quality of this kit!

Glenn

Name:	Wu60369.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1068898  
Old 11-09-2008, 05:38 PM
HeliStyle
My Feedback: (2)

im sure ill deff need some help with the dx6i and setup, I have been to busy to do any heli stuff today and its a shame, I luv how it has 10 model memory and you can mess around with settings while your orignal settings are set
Old 11-09-2008, 05:47 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Hey, what did you end up doing with the bearings in the tailboom mount on the 600? Mine came all loosley assembled, but it does not say anything about applying anything to hold the bearing races in place?

I am hesitant to use loctite, not good for plastic stuff...

The manual didn't say anything about it?

Looks like you are offline, I'll move onto something else for now...

Glenn
Old 11-09-2008, 06:07 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Sorry I was dozing off again. Finless uses shoe goop to keep the bearing from spinning in the plastic parts. I didn't do that since I don't have any, but I saw my LHS carries it so I should get some sometime soon.

Nice pics. I would think the new 500 ESP would come with black skid stops since the 600 does.

Nick
Old 11-09-2008, 06:24 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I am going out to eat, so I won't be able to help you for awhile if you needed it.

Nick
Old 11-09-2008, 06:36 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Nick,

Thanks on the info...that also came to my mind as I saw Finless do it on his main bearing blocks. I don't have any either, so I'm just going to assemble it as is. I did use green loctite on the tail box bearings to hold them in the side plates.

Thanks on the pics...

I'm good for a while yet...enjoy your dinner out!

Jeff,

I found a potential trouble spot on the build of the tail....the grips seemed pretty smooth, but I figured I'd better check anyways...so I took them apart...and there was NO GREASE at all on the thrust bearings!

There was plenty of extremely strong threadlock on the screws, however, and I thought they were going to snap off taking them out...

I lubed up the thrust bearings, and reassembled everything, and it all seems good now.

You MAY want to investigate that prior to your build, in case something turns to crap and you need parts....I really thought the screws were going to snap right off with whatever loctite they use! And be careful and get all the old loctite off of the screw threads before you put new loctite on them and install them, otherwise they bind up pretty bad...

Just a heads up! This is the first thing I have really seen so far that could potentially be a serious issue...

Glenn
Old 11-09-2008, 07:46 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

The thrust bearings on the 600 were just like that too. And they put loctite on all the threads of the screw, so that was interesting trying to get those apart. It would have been nice if they didn't put loctite on those and just made a comment in the manual saying to grease the thrust bearings and put loctite on the screws.

Nick
Old 11-09-2008, 08:02 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yeah, there for a minute I thought it was going to be a disaster, that is some strong loctite they use!

I got the torque tube together, it wasn't bad at all, I had to look at the instructions pretty closely, but I got it figured out...nice design, since you can take the tailbox off without worrying about a belt!

I should have taken more pics for Jeff, but I'm sure he'll be able to figure it out as well.

I've gotten pretty good at reading poor Japanese to English translations...or in this case, Taiwanese to English...it's very similar to the Japanese directions I get for stuff at work alot.

I'll post some pics.

Glenn
Old 11-09-2008, 08:03 PM
J-MICHAEL

Glenn ~

Thanks for the heads up.... I'll have to investigate... I'am anal about checking all the bearings for grease and lube anyway, so no worries... I still have to go and lube them all myself anyway for the satisfaction. I take all my heli's apart to much in just cleaning and re-lubing them very frequently... Last night, I even did the MCX again, and its the third time since I've only had it for just over a week...LMAO...! I told ya I'am anal ! My poor 450 has been apart more than you'd like to know... Yeah I always use acetone to clean the fasteners or screws before applying new loctite always... Kinda like painting anything, prepping is the most important thing...

I looked at the 500 all day today contemplating on whether I should put it together just really quick for a test-run to make sure everything is set good before I make that order for Friday.... Plus its easier for me to visualize on how or what pieces I want to do for it for a visual aspect... I'll be replacing the CF horizontal fins and the vertical fins with the glass fiber ones, as they look identical to the CF ones with the blotch of yellow even, but will offer the benefit of highlighting the tail better for visibility purposes because they have the silvery color instead of the black, in which I found on my 450 hard to see the "black tail end" so to speak when the 450 gets far away from me in flight...

The rear tail blade grips will also be upgraded to the all silver CNC to help for this reason also, and still offer the thrust bearings... Thrust bearings are going to be new to me also, as my Trex 450 has none throughout the craft... Visually I like the main bearing blocks better that you show above, but I may have to lean toward the Microheli ones, as they offer the thrust bearings in those main bearing blocks also, but the looks aren't all that great as they are just pure silver CNC, as you can see in the link below... They are only about $9.00 more than the stock 500's blocks also... We'll see...

I really would like to have it built in stock form as a Trex 500 CF version for picture purposes, as the craft is going to change quite drastically and very quick. I may just start ! Seriously... Boy, more research on those TT's makes me think they really are for more advanced fliers, as the performance is just killer, but just not the strongest things in the world those beveled gears... What gets me is if your tail rotor is spinning 4 to 5 times faster than your mains, then think how fast those bevel gears are spinning and them being made of plastic ! YIKES... Why didn't they use a better quality material like Karbonite or something ?! I'll tell ya why..... JOB SECURITY....LMAO... I may just even run the belt first, and so this way I can compare after a bit of test flights...

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=6594

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=9064

Cheers,

~ Jeff
Old 11-09-2008, 08:05 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

More pics of the build.

Jeff, don't sweat the TT, it's a piece of cake!

Glenn

Name:	Rp44480.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1069048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84479.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1069049  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.