Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Official DF-03 Ra Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 02:54 PM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official DF-03 Ra Thread

Guys, for science... I decided to order only one set of the GPM titanium turnbuckles; I noticed one of my rear dogbones was a bit bent; I un-bent it but clearly the CVD's would be better provided they fit...
Old 03-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Raman
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Guys,

I just got back from a full day of fun with this chassis. At the moment, mine is fit with the Tamiya Ford F150 studium truck body and tyres. I had one lying around and thought what the hell. Harware, I'm running a Novak Havoc 8.5 sport system with slipper clutch. I adjusted the slipper to allow a lot of slip so it absorbs the power of the motor. I had read elsewhere that the main aluminium gear wears real easily.. although after todays events, it looked in excellent condition.

For battery, I decided to go with the Turnigy 4500 Mah LiFe. It's a tight fit, battery hatch bulges in centre.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=10309

Very impressed with the car overall, handled the speed of the 8.5 motor very well. Rear end was a little bouncy, I removed stock springs and put tamiyas red springs.. at least I think theyre softer. This chassis is definitely not shy about climbing, I had it going up steep inclines with ease!

Here are some picts.. a little mud got in, will need to hunt down the dark impact body to use as a cover... hard to come by as you all know.. has anyone used the keenhawk or avante mk2 as a chassis cover?

Old 03-13-2010, 04:02 AM
aflipz

Wow, very cool Raman, way to think outside the box!

Betcha that hands any 1/16th slash it's derrière all day long (without being that much bigger or heavier)

I read about the gear thing but honnestly I think it was in the dark impact threads and perhaps the part's been updated since then? Also the dark impact has larger heavier wheels so it has to be geared down and torque is multiplied. (though with those big wheels of yours and that monster of a power system I suppose your 'RA is going to be the ultimate guinea pig)

If you could get some video action of that beast I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say "we wanna see!"
Old 03-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Raman

ORIGINAL: aflipz

Wow, very cool Raman, way to think outside the box!

Betcha that hands any 1/16th slash it's derrière all day long (without being that much bigger or heavier)

I read about the gear thing but honnestly I think it was in the dark impact threads and perhaps the part's been updated since then? Also the dark impact has larger heavier wheels so it has to be geared down and torque is multiplied. (though with those big wheels of yours and that monster of a power system I suppose your 'RA is going to be the ultimate guinea pig)

If you could get some video action of that beast I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say ''we wanna see!''

With a powerful brushless system, you have to use the slipper and set it to slip a good bid, that way it will absorb the pressure. I also use lightning rapid in my gear boxes. They use it on road bicycles, its leaves a wax coat which minimises wear.

I need to get a vid camera.. anyone know of inexpensive brand?
Old 03-13-2010, 05:13 PM
aflipz

Yes I have a slipper on mine, I run a smaller brushless motor than yours but run higher voltages.

The vids I posted were shot with a nikon S2000HD which is really a still camera that shoots 720P 30fps video. (needed a still, wanted a video camera but couldn't afford both...)

I don't have a specific model to recommend but I'd say for action video look for something 1080P 60fps that has a 10x optical zoom, stay away from those pocket cams (flip for instance...) those have digital zooms, slow frame rates and you can get cellphones with better cameras built in nowadays...
Old 03-15-2010, 03:26 AM
Daholla77

What is a good brushless motor/ esc combo to use with this car? That is not to insane but will keep things fun on all surfaces.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:10 AM
nbla

There's still a lot of snow here in Sweden but it's starting to melt away. Drove my car on my parents front yard on the snow (it had a really hard crust) and it was really fun However I'm still waiting for my Ezrun 5,5T/60A combo and slipper clutch, Running it with a sliver can and crappy batteries are only fun so long :P

Having the Dark Impact inner body helped a lot, I got almost no water inside the car at all afterwards. I also got some velcro tape for it, works really well
Old 03-15-2010, 09:05 AM
MD6

Speaking of snow you might enjoy these pictures.<div>
</div><div>http://www.rc-tabor.com/Fotogalerie/Fotogalerie/2010/RcRallySvetla/TomasSena/index.html</div><div>
</div><div>
</div>
Old 03-15-2010, 09:52 AM
aflipz

Nice pictures! You guys are really dedicated to scale realism, it's very impressive!
Old 03-15-2010, 11:01 AM
MD6

Unfortunately, they're not my pictures. I got them from another forum. But, the realistic detail is neat and the are some very cool paint jobs.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Raman

ORIGINAL: Daholla77

What is a good brushless motor/ esc combo to use with this car? That is not to insane but will keep things fun on all surfaces.
I think a 13.5 brushless combo would be a safe bet for this car. I'm presently running an 8.5 system and its a bit too much for the car and to protect the drive line I'm allowing a lot of slip with the slipper clutch.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:16 PM
aflipz

I am using a 9T brushless which is a 380 long can motor, along with a ezrun 60A esc; couldn't be happier with the results; on 2 cell lipos it's just perfect. And if I feel like letting all hell break loose and attempt to break the sound barrier; I can fit a 3 cell lipo in there, but then all bets are off...
Old 03-19-2010, 10:54 AM
nbla

Ok so I just got back inside from my first run with my new Brushless system.

Something is wrong, but I don't know what (even though I suspect the cheap radio, or could it be bad batteries? (running some nimh packs)). I could only drive the car for a few seconds, after that it became very jerky, almost as if I were pumping the throttle. Has anyone noticed this behaviour before? If I lift the car up in the air, it behaves normally again.

Thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 AM
aflipz

If you are using NIMH or NICD packs turn OFF the low voltage cutoff; your ESC is most likely detecting your pack as a 7.4V lipo and when loaded, voltage of your NIMH taps 6V or less and your ESC cuts power thinking it's protecting a lipo. You can live without any kind of protection on your NIMH/nicad; when power dips considerably stop and charge, that's it!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:38 AM
nbla

Hmmm, turned it off but it still behaves the same way. Also, I can not manage to get to the items 11 and 12 on my Hobbywing ESC, I want to change the motor spin direction...

Anyway I'm charging my batteries now too see if that makes any difference, I had them laying for quite some time :P
Old 03-19-2010, 12:11 PM
aflipz

generic program card; not all options on prog card are available for programming on all esc's...

check again, make sure when you change the value you press the "ok" (or is it set?) button, then disconnect it and re-connect it, let it read the setings, toggle through the numbers one by one it will give you the set values 100% sure you still have it on.

also, if you were able to drive why would you want to change motor direction? In any case to switch motor direction disconnect two motor leads and reverse them.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:22 PM
nbla

I'm pretty sure I have it off, but I'll double check again, thanks

Reason I want to change the direction is that I use the same radio for my TT-01E (which I haven't been able to run yet because of snow) and that one goes the other way, meaning I'll have to switch the throttle reverse switch on the radio

The two motor leads, that's going to confuse me, my 5,5t/60A EZRun has 3 O.o (use the same system on my TT-01E).

Anyway, first thing's first, charging battery and double check cutoff settings If I end up having to throttle reverse, I can live with it
Old 03-19-2010, 12:26 PM
aflipz

motor direction will not alter that; it's the way the ESC interprets the TX's signal that is at fault here some use rev throt some use normal.

In other words even if you alter the motor direction the TX will still have to be set to reverse so that the ESC can make sense of the recieved signal, the only difference will be which direction the car will travel when you push throttle.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:35 PM
nbla

Oh I see, thanks, I'm still a nub at all this
Old 03-19-2010, 12:56 PM
nbla

Ok just got in now after doublechecking the cutoff setting and taking her out with fresh batteries...

Holy ****! I don't know how I'm gonna be able to control this lol, was spinning out of control all the time. I guess putting a 5,5T in it might have been a bit overkill.

I can't find any way to configure the throttle control in the ESC, do I need an advanced transmitter for that? I've been eyeing the Spektrum DX3S for a while now and read somewhere that it's configurable. Anyone know if the DX3E will have the same feature?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 02:11 PM
iMOD

turn the punch and timing down.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:15 PM
aflipz

iMOD took the words right out of my mouth!

Throttle curve or expo on the transmitter would help a tad, but timing and punch control will go a longer way to fine tune driveability.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:17 PM
iMOD

is this with an ezrun?
Old 03-19-2010, 02:17 PM
nbla

Alright thanks a million guys, will check it out
Old 03-19-2010, 02:29 PM
nbla

Yeah, EZRun 5,5T/60A. The punch was already set all the way down to 1 and I set the timing to (1) which equals 0.00. It's just a shame I don't have time to try it until sunday... I will tell you guys then how it was Thanks again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.