Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skygate/CARF Viperjet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skygate/CARF Viperjet

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 03:55 AM
snobird
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Skygate/CARF Viperjet

Thanks, very expense, you can buy then thru a guy in SC whose name I can't remember right now. Pilots are about 350..each. I did buy a panel for my CARF Snowbird that was very nice.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:57 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

LOL>>>>Ah!! What is another $1000 at this point!! I stopped counting at $10K......lol.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:35 AM
zeev barnes

Hi Dan
Thank you for all the information
best
Old 04-03-2013, 09:59 AM
RCFlyerDan

Hey Guys!

I did fly the Viper at my home field yesterday, and it performed flawless. Took off in 250 feet or there abouts on a 70 degree day! .....There was a little trimming to do after removing 1.5 oz(43 grams). I said earlier, this is a yank and bank field, due to the small airspace. The jet, of course, flew well, after adding a little down trim after take off, had a great flight. I didn't do inverted or a knifeedge, so couldn't tell how it was balanced after the removal of the weight. Right now, please remember, I don't have the balance jig provided, so I am hanging the jet from the wing tubes, and then also crawling under it on my cart to balance it on the belly with a dowl to figure the point. If you hang the jet from the wing tubes, (UAT full, 3 batteries installed, gear down, main tank empty), it is balancing tail heavy. This actually make sence, provided that you never run the jet out of fuel. When I crawl under it on a cart, it is balancing slightly behind the rear edge of the wing tube, from lifting it on the belly. I want to fill the main tank to see where the take off balance is located, but know that it will be in front of the wing tube. Please understand that I like a fully aerobatic sports jet that is capible of 3D manuevers, such as inverted flat spins, inverted snaps, the blender into a flat spin, besides the normal rolls, loops, humpty bumps, cuban 8's, etc. So, I like the balance back, or so that I don't have to use any mixes or minimal mixes. Until further flights, I don't want to go anymore tail heavy on this jet. I also am very aware of the timer, so as to not run out of fuel. If you are aware of this, it will always be nose heavy, due to not running out of fuel. I have my 44% Giles balanced so well, that it requires no mixes for knifedges, inverted flight, etc. My old Flash I had balanced about the same. With only 7 flights on this jet, it is quickly coming together on the trims. So, please, less experience jet pilots, please balance it nose heavy, when lifting it from the wing tube.
On another subject, snobird was asking about pilots. I did not choose to go with a full cock pit, due to this is not a scale jet, and amatuers like to look inside of the jet, plus, I truly like to see inside of the jet, while it is running too. I used the H9 helmet head pilots and painted them to my scheme. Here is the link to purchase them, and they are on sale!!
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...t-white-HAN366
This is an in expensive way to go, if you don't want to put a full cockpit into the jet. I airbrushed these pilot head to match the jet's scheme. See ya!

I have enclosed what the pilots look like painted and mounted on carbon fiber panels for cosmetics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34875.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	1869760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59666.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	1869761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17559.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1869762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89226.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	1869763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80780.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	1869764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38532.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	1869765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95534.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1869766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66531.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1869767  

Old 04-03-2013, 11:17 AM
snobird

Dan that looks real cool, I may change over to your idea . Thanks
Old 04-03-2013, 11:59 AM
RCFlyerDan

Well, it is a $100 instead of a $1000.........I love the H9 pilots and put them in all of my IMAC, F3A, and jet planes. To me, they just fit!!
Old 04-03-2013, 12:40 PM
RCFlyerDan

And when the jet is flying by at 125 mph plus, all you see is the siluette of the pilots. So, they look great!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:46 PM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just ordered a Comp Arf Viper Jet to go along with my Ultra Flash. Getting ready to order the Behotec electric gear, struts and electric brakes for the Viper. Can anyone tell me what size wheels I need to use?

Also, I have a Rhino on hand which is 36 lbs of thrust and will be flying at 1000 feet or so but pretty hot here in Oklahoma in the summer. Is the Rhino going to be enough or will I need something bigger. I don't need to fly like my hair is on fire I have the Cheetah powered Ultra Flash for the turn and burn stuff.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 738 Likes on 532 Posts

ORIGINAL: sailing1

Just ordered a Comp Arf Viper Jet to go along with my Ultra Flash. Getting ready to order the Behotec electric gear, struts and electric brakes for the Viper. Can anyone tell me what size wheels I need to use?

Also, I have a Rhino on hand which is 36 lbs of thrust and will be flying at 1000 feet or so but pretty hot here in Oklahoma in the summer. Is the Rhino going to be enough or will I need something bigger. I don't need to fly like my hair is on fire I have the Cheetah powered Ultra Flash for the turn and burn stuff.
Will the Behotec units fit the thin wing? Have they done a set for the Viper?

With 36lb of thrust you won't have endless vertical, but it will fly it well enough

Dave
Old 04-05-2013, 02:00 PM
snobird

Rcflyerdan, what's the festo fitting on the side near the canopy (air) ?
Old 04-05-2013, 04:51 PM
sailing1

HI Dave,
Peter at Altrecare has a new set listed that he says will fit the wing of the Viper and the Tomahawk 2.5 viper. They are listed as C36/C40 Behotec heavy duty all terrain struts with Swing arms. The specific listing for the viper is 188mm for C-ARF and Tomahawk Design 2.5m Viper NL188-VHE.

I talked to Peter today and he did say that the mounting base for the Behotec unit is smaller (not as wide as the Air Power units) and that a simple gear plate modification would need to be made to the wing mount. He did confirm that the strut and wheel would bit inside the wing and allow the gear cover to be installed correctly. We will see as I will be ordering the complete set on Monday.

Still would like to confirm what wheel size can be used on the Viper though.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:32 AM
RCFlyerDan

ORIGINAL: snobird

Rcflyerdan, what's the festo fitting on the side near the canopy (air) ?
Under the canopy, that is a 4 mm Festo check valve for the fuel. Then, on the inside, I also installed a 4 mm shut off valve. I love the check valves and started using them on my gas planes. First tried it on my Flash, but found that they don't hold up to the suction of fuel pump and fail about 50 flights, so the shut off valve is to keep the check valve from failing. I just like how it makes fueling it a clean procedure, verse a fuel dot, I always got jet fuel on my hands. At the wing root, I am using 3 mm Festo bulkhead, but they aren't check valves.

Tried to load a few pictures, but surprise, surprise, RCU isn't working properly again. Look at some of my earlier pictures.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:49 AM
RCFlyerDan

ORIGINAL: sailing1

Still would like to confirm what wheel size can be used on the Viper though.
Good Morning!
Congrades on your purchase!! The main wheels that came with the CARF air gear, are approx 3 3/4 and the nose is 2 3/4. They might be 3 1/2 and 2 1/2 respectively. They were hard to measure without extending them.

I was going to go with Bohetc air retracts, due to loving them in my Flash, but found that the 50's wouldn't fit, and even the 40's were too deep. I know Peter know's what he is talking about, so if he says the electrics will fit, I guess they will fit. Just make sure the motors are strong enough to lift a large wheel. Since I was originally going to go with the Bohetec retracts, I bought a NIB set of BVM T-33 wheels and brakes. I think the nose wheel is too big with the set, but also have a new 2 1/2 inch nose wheel. Make you a heck of a deal, if you would want them. Can provide pictures and do it formal through RCU sales process and PayPal for payment. Look at the BVM site to look at the wheels, since I can't up load pictures on here this morning.

I am using an EVO160VX with 36# here in Florida. During the summer, we have the heat and humidity, but our density altitude doesn't reach what you reach in OK. The Viper is considerably slower then the Flash, but the wing provides a lot of lift. So, far, I haven't run out of total steam on the up line, and have to pull the power back to come over the humpty bump with at least a 1500-2000 ft vertical climb. But, here again, I haven't flown it in the summer here.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:25 AM
Dave Wilshere

I know the C-36 will fit with packers to allow for the narrower units, personally I think they are a bit small for the Viper. I guess on a hard surface there is less "beating" on the yoke/pivot, but its a long leg, lots of leverage and weight. The yoke material is purposely a softer grade of aluminium on Behotec gear, its a failure point that is easy and cheap to replace.

I love Behotec gear, right up there with the very best, just think its a bridge too far for a C-36 unit, the frames might twist too.

Dave
Old 04-06-2013, 06:56 AM
sailing1

Thanks RCFlyerDan and Dave,

I have a small amount of concern regarding the retracts as well but really do want to go completely electric so am willing to give it a try. My Behotec gear in the Classic and then Ultra flash have taken more punishment than one can imagine in my 150 or so flights off of our short 400 foot strip and only a couple of pins have ever given up the ghost - both from hard landings in the grass. The trailing links do help a bunch.

Dan, thanks for the input on the 160 size turbine. I still am having thoughts about changing to a Kero Start turbine as my Rhino is gas start and my other two Jet Central turbines are Kero start. Probably silly to change just for uniformity if the 160 will push it just fine. I have all the speed I can handle with my Cheetah powered Ultra Flash so am looking forward to the slower speed and easier to see airframe (for my older eyes).
Old 04-06-2013, 07:12 AM
RCFlyerDan

Sailing!

No problems!! You will love the jet, and it is truly easier to land then the classic Flash. I always hated the flaps on it, due to blocking out the elevator, if there was too much flap. I hated it if coming down final, and get the porpoising going on approach. Sometimes, the only way to quit it, before I reduced the flaps, was to go around. I kept a log on the Flash and had 225 with half them being firm landings out of a 450 foot strip. I bought the trailing link struts for it, after going through a couple pins with the straight gear that came with the classic. Sold the jet, and it is still going strong with the new owner. Here is a video of the place I flew the Flash, and have flown the Viper once. Note the hill on the approach end on taxi out and on the landing. On a windy day, it always created an up draft coming over the hill, and you had to be careful after getting hit with the up draft, that you didn't get a high sink rate after, to stay on the runway. This is the yank and bank field that I have been talking about for my home field. This isn't a public video, due to going out of bounds a couple times, just showing what both the Flash and the Viper will do. I was often told that I was crazy to fly the Flash out of there, but did it successfully for most of those 225 flights.

I hope you guys don't mind us talking about the Flash too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCwws7oFnq4

This video is at Cape Coral Gaithering of the Giants (GoG) If you notice in both video's there is a strong crosswind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUJWT...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-06-2013, 08:11 AM
sailing1

RCFlyerDan
That ia a great video. I am probably one of the few around who actually found the Classic Flash easier to land than the Ultra. The secret for me was CG and Crow. After I got all of that worked out it was a piece of cake. On days when there was little wind I also dialed in a small amount of brake to keep the bouncing down. The Ultra lands great also, just different as it is more of a floater.

Are you using any Crow on you Viper?

PS thanks for the offer on the wheels but the Behotec electric brakes apparently only work with Behotec wheels.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:16 AM
RCFlyerDan

Thanks on the video! I heard of guys using crow on the Flash for landing, but didn't set that up on mine. Mine was balanced perfect, due to no mixes for knife edges or inverted flight. As you can see, I like it very aerobatic. No crow on the Viper, and it truly doesn't need it....IMHO, but I only have 7 flights on it, with the 7th being at the field in the video.

LOL>>>figures on the wheels!! I don't know why I haven't listed them yet. Just love spares in the closet.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:50 PM
RCFlyerDan

OK Pilots and Owners!!
Old 04-09-2013, 02:30 AM
RCFlyerDan

Since there are too many issues on RCU of up loading pictures and frustrations of the site working. I am going to stop posting here, unless asked a question. But, I have moved my conversation to:

http://www.rcjetaddiction.com/forum/...new-carf-viper

Hope you will come and join me over there! Thanks for following! Dan
Old 04-12-2013, 07:28 AM
sailing1

Hey guys, have any of you added smoke systems to your Viper? If so, what size tank or tanks are you using and where are you placing the tanks.

Received my Viper yesterday and am getting everything all set out for the build.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:46 AM
snobird

Hi, carf has a smoke tank the sits above the turbine, I think it's from a different plane. Check their web site
Old 04-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Dave Wilshere

Probably a Flash wing tank, its CARF's usual option

Dave
Old 04-12-2013, 12:56 PM
snobird

Hey Dave, it's the Rookie tank
Old 04-14-2013, 08:14 AM
zeev barnes

Hi guy
Yesterday I my son Liad made maiden flight for my Viper
It was great

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.