Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Edge 540 27.4% Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 01:50 PM
VincentJ

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Just finished the second wing. ( Actually both wings need a few things added to them plus SANDING!) It took me 43 days to build them...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2820.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	1940068   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2821.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	1940069   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2822.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	1940070   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2823.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	1940071   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2824.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	1940072   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2825.JPG
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	1940073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2827.JPG
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	1940074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2828.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	3.02 MB
ID:	1940075  

Old 11-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Very nice can you believe how strong and stiff they are. No flex at all and light they were the lightest I had ever built at that time. When I spoke to them I asked why the leading edge of the wing was so sharp when the prototype seemed to have a much more rounded leading edge. I was told that the sharp edge broke cleaner when you snapped the plane. I am really interested to see what he has done in redesigning the tail feathers. Keep up the good work and pictures.

Dennis
Old 11-17-2013, 03:20 PM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has it already been 43 days? Seems like you just started. Looking forward to seeing the fuse come to life.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:49 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be 43 days but works of art take time. And one can always count on Vincent posting a work of art.

Beautiful Brother!!!
Old 11-18-2013, 03:56 AM
VincentJ

Dennis, you are correct, these wings are very light and they absolutely do not have any flex in them. Even the ailerons can't be twisted...I didn't know about the wings leading edge, thanks for telling me about it, I was wondering why the sharp edge.

Thanks Steve and Robert. I didn't break any speed records here,but I'm in no hurry and working with such light stock I had to go through a learning curve. They were a lot of fun to build, but also a lot of work as well... This plane is getting larger by the day and I'm also running short on space. I may have bitten off more than I can chew!
Old 11-18-2013, 05:11 PM
VincentJ

Plans just fit on my build table, they hang off on each side by a couple of inches!

Name:	IMG_2832.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	1940420  
Old 11-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Propworn

Lots of room you can hang the spinner and cowl off the table gain about 14 inches.

I know its better to admire in all its glory though.

Dennis
Old 11-18-2013, 05:37 PM
stevegauth30

I know the feeling. I just recently started the giant scale corsair from top flite. That plan takes up every inch of a sheet of 4 x 8 plywood. Looks to be around the size of your plan.first time I ever HAD to cut up a set of plans.at least you don't have to do that.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:44 PM
acerc

Is it just me or is our build tables getting bigger. I thought one usually down sized as they got older......
Old 11-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Jim Branaum

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well your build caught my attention and I have been following for a while. I talked to Doug Lee last night and ordered mine and will probably start the build in January. However I do have some questions for you based on what I have seen in this thread.

Why did you go to a larger wing tube and why the carbon fiber? Doug reports no known problems.

In conversation with him, there was mention made of the rubber band method of retaining the wings. What bothered you about that enough to change it?

Which tail are you going to build and why that one?

Yes, I steal ideas wherever I find them.

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:09 PM
VincentJ

Welcome aboard Jim, I'm glad you found us... Your questions and or concerns are valid and I'll try to explain the things that I have done or am going to do.

This 540 Edge designed by D&L Designs is a top notch build. Careful consideration was given to strength and weight throughout. One only needs to build the wings to see how strong they are with very little weight. Doug is a super friendly guy that can always be reached by phone for questions or concerns involving his plane. He is genuinely excited about his design. Having said this, it is my opinion there are areas that can be tweaked slightly to make a good plane an even better one. These plans were drawn in 1998 and much has changed in ways of techniques and technology, which I hope will translate into a stronger better flying plane.

The plans call for an aluminum wing tube which I substituted with carbon fiber instead, why, in a nut shell less weight. As far as increasing the diameter, I chose the closest diameter to the stock aluminum that I could find made in carbon fiber. The increase in diameter was negligible at best...they don't make them in the same sizes.

As far as the rubber band method of holding the wings to the fuse, I'm sure that Doug's method if built that way will give trouble free service, however when was the last time you saw any good Edge, Extra or whatever held in that manor. I chose to use what virtually all good quality aircrafts use, a threaded wing bolt on the inside of the fuse.

I'm building the larger tail surface for this plane for better maneuverability. I am not an expert in this type of plane but I have some very good friends that are and I trust their judgment and opinions.

All I'm attempting to do here as I said is to make a good plane better and make this into a "Cutting Edge" plane. I hope that I have answered your questions and look forward to answering any others that you may have...Jim, you're going to love this build.

Last edited by VincentJ; 11-19-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:29 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

The wings look great VJ, can't wait to see the fuse go together.

I went today for a fresh set of x-rays today and I have an appointment scheduled for 12/16 with a surgeon. Looks like it is my last option to resole my back issues. Looks like I will be sidelined a while.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 11-19-2013, 05:11 PM
VincentJ

Thanks Anthony, I hope you can soon get relief for your back you've suffered enough.

After many hours of studying the fuselage plans, I have finally feel as though I can proceed with the build. It started with selecting two 3/16" x 4" x 48" sheeting that will make up a side portion of the fuselage. Measurements were transferred from the plans to the sheeting which are just barely visible in the photograph representing where formers and other braces will go. A length of 1/2" x 48 carbon fiber was epoxied to the top of one side for strength. The top of the opposite side sheet will receive the same treatment as well... Now I just need to wait for the epoxy to cure.

Name:	IMG_2834.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	1940690   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2835.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	3.10 MB
ID:	1940691   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2836.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	3.32 MB
ID:	1940692  

Last edited by VincentJ; 11-19-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:27 PM
Propworn

Vincent when I work directly over plans like that I put down a layer of wax paper. You can see through it and it protects the plans from glue and epoxy.

Dennis
Old 11-19-2013, 06:36 PM
Jim Branaum

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VincentJ
Having said this, it is my opinion there are areas that can be tweaked slightly to make a good plane an even better one. These plans were drawn in 1998 and much has changed in ways of techniques and technology, which I hope will translate into a stronger better flying plane.

Some of that I can buy - CF cap strips and fuselage stiffeners but I would be interested in your thoughts about other areas. Kits give me the chance to build what *I* want!

The plans call for an aluminum wing tube which I substituted with carbon fiber instead, why, in a nut shell less weight. As far as increasing the diameter, I chose the closest diameter to the stock aluminum that I could find made in carbon fiber. The increase in diameter was negligible at best...they don't make them in the same sizes.

Not sure that weight is significant, but my concerns have to do with the vibration wear at the wing/fuselage joint. *I* am probably going to just fill the aluminum tube with Polyurethane and call it done.

As far as the rubber band method of holding the wings to the fuse, I'm sure that Doug's method if built that way will give trouble free service, however when was the last time you saw any good Edge, Extra or whatever held in that manor. I chose to use what virtually all good quality aircrafts use, a threaded wing bolt on the inside of the fuse.

I'm building the larger tail surface for this plane for better maneuverability. I am not an expert in this type of plane but I have some very good friends that are and I trust their judgment and opinions.

Doug mentioned 3 different tail groups which is why I asked "which one". I am inclined to go with the larger flying surface version but was wondering where you got your plans for the larger surfaces. My friends always ask me to do things that turn out to be bleeding edge.

All I'm attempting to do here as I said is to make a good plane better and make this into a "Cutting Edge" plane. I hope that I have answered your questions and look forward to answering any others that you may have...Jim, you're going to love this build.
Thanks
Old 11-19-2013, 07:00 PM
acerc

Painters plastic!!! Nothing sticks to it, and I mean nothing!!! Just don't wipe it down with MEK...
Attached Images  

Last edited by acerc; 11-19-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had to laugh when VJ said he was running out of room, thats when I recalled the guys building on a dinning room table 1/5 th scale planes. I use a 2' x 8' of sheet rock for general building and I have two other large tables that are covered with plane parts, cutting board and the kit box on, "I thought I was running out of room with a large shop". Vincent I'm not sure if a guy ever has enough room espacially if you have several other planes all over the place. Your building surroundings always look so clean, not sure how you accomplish that, mine is helter skelter at times but I do clean it up so I have room to make another mess of it, ha ha

Your plane is looking great, fun watching you build.

Leroy
Old 11-20-2013, 10:38 AM
raptureboy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
Is it just me or is our build tables getting bigger. I thought one usually down sized as they got older......

Poorer eyesite= bigger planes. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it, and if you tell my wife differently I will deny it.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:14 PM
maekju

A work shop wow! I've always had a small room to buid in, lots of hanger rash from bumping into walls and doors. Now I have an oversize garage and have to step over lawnmowers, snow blowers, leaf blowers, etc. And everywhere I store my stuff my wife thinks there's room to store her stuff.
Gonna have to give that painters plastic a try.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by maekju
A work shop wow! I've always had a small room to buid in, lots of hanger rash from bumping into walls and doors. Now I have an oversize garage and have to step over lawnmowers, snow blowers, leaf blowers, etc. And everywhere I store my stuff my wife thinks there's room to store her stuff.
Gonna have to give that painters plastic a try.
Well the leaf blowers, lawn mower, hedge trimmer etc. that's all her stuff and she has a shed out back to store the stuff in including all the lawn furniture. Her indoor stuff is stored in the crawl space. When we bought the house the rules of engagement were set down first. The house and what she did to it inside was hers. The two car garage was mine for my shop and hobbies, no she cannot park her car inside its painted and has a remote starter its meant to be outside, what more could she ask for? There is no connecting door even though the house is attached. No winter crap no garbage cans or bags it's my man cave. There is no room for any of her stuff period. I have my planes two large building tables, CNC mill, lathe, tig welder, 10 inch table saw with extension and 3 hp router built into it, 36 inch copy machine and tons of other tools. I maintain 3 vehicles and any projects she who must be obeyed comes up with so she gives my space a wide berth if she wants her stuff to remain a priority. For over 30 years this arrangement has worked wonderfully.

Dennis
Old 11-20-2013, 04:36 PM
VincentJ

I'll toast to that Dennis, sounds like an equitable arraingment!

Maekju, my next house will have a much larger workshop for my planes. I hate bumping my planes and dinging them as well.

I ordered my landing gear today from Graph Tech http://www.graphtechrcshop.com/ I am having a carbon fiber gear set made for my Edge, again I am opting CF over the aluminum gear specified in the plans for weight savings and greater strength. The person that I spoke to (Mike) through e-mail was very prompt in responding and was very accommodating.

Last edited by VincentJ; 11-20-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:44 PM
acerc

One can't go wrong with CF Vincent.
Me and my wife came to an understanding many years ago, short version- I held her ring finger and told her nothing could cost as much as that has cost me. She has the house and I have my room, don't complain about my room and I won't complain about the house. Been great near 32 years now.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:16 PM
VincentJ

Damn, all the good ones are taken...LOL Sounds fair to me Robert!

Last edited by VincentJ; 11-21-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:14 AM
raptureboy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ROFLOL!! Glad I finished my coffe before I read this. I have the basement and she has the bedroom; and the living room, and the dinning room and ,..... almost 30 yrs myself Robert and if I ever get divorced I'm going to buy a pole barn and live in one corner and the rest will be my hanger
Originally Posted by acerc
One can't go wrong with CF Vincent.
Me and my wife came to an understanding many years ago, short version- I held her ring finger and told her nothing could cost as much as that has cost me. She has the house and I have my room, don't complain about my room and I won't complain about the house. Been great near 32 years now.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:54 AM
VincentJ

Cliff , I hope that day never comes for you...being alone isn't what it's cracked up to be!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.