Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

expresscraft Boat hulls

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

expresscraft Boat hulls

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 09:10 PM
JasonWalters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apache rc boat

Originally Posted by crapshooter
both power types would be awesome as long as you select the correct sizes for either electric or gas power. plus what do you prefere , electric or gas ? do you have the dollars needed for these power combos ? i feel gas power would work out cheaper to set up compared to electric power. Fads Trading have some great RCMK twins cheap plus pipes.
yea im leaning more towards gas and that's the route I'm going to go but do I do a single engine built motor or do I do a twin inline ? I'm hearing that the in-line can be a bit of a challenge. Can you get the same power out of a modified single as you can it in line twin?
Old 08-11-2017, 05:09 AM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No you can not,, on the twin you have 2 power cylinders turning 1 Crankshaft,!fly wheel and !drive line, So you have 2x the power turning 1 drive line with a bigger prop spinning the same RPM. You also have a drive line that needs to be set up and maintained to handle that extra power, A twin is simply more work to get the enjoyment they bring, My take after selling Helicopters for years, (great but lots of work) Is that if I can talk you out of a twin, then you are not the right person to sell a twin too. If you want one so bad, that when I run all the negatives of a twin past you. That you say Thanks for the information Tom, BUT I want a twin. Then we proceed, My next thought is if you get a twin but want to have it built by someone else, That is another red flag to me, Sure I want to sell. But I want happy customers even more, that is how and why I have repete customers. Remember paying for a boat and maintaining it are two different things .If you get a boat with the power of today's singles and do not like it. there is a high chance that boats just do not do it for you. Having a boat that you can not maintain will really not keep you in the hobby. Sure you will give up some speed, But your single powered boat will not be slow. You do not start drag racing with a top fueler. get experience, HAVE FUN BOATING. then move up to the next level of a twin. something else, Most boaters that want bigger boats want rougher water. Even real 180MPH full size offshore boats average 100MPH or less speeds when they race and the water is rough. I have been doing this since 1989, until you no longer need to ask these questions let me be your crew chief. Take my advice and come to terms with a single. When and if you get with a local club, and find a good boater, that you want to have help and teach you, Do not get pulled in 5 directions, I will tell you correctly, and so will he even if we disagree. Do not use half of my tips and advice and mix it with other peoples tips and advice. Half of 2 good set ups will probably not work, 1 Crew chief at a time. I will do all I can to get you to be your own Crew chief.. Jason I will do your build Thread right here On RCU. You can post your results here.I would not say this on a international hobby forum if I thought we would have bad results. Including your Happiness of your Gas boating Experience.

Last edited by expresscraft; 08-11-2017 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:15 AM
JasonWalters

Default Apache

yes Tom I agree and after our talks and all the info you have given me the single is the best to start at. I wanna have fun with the lest amount of work and worries
Old 08-12-2017, 06:52 AM
expresscraft

Just got the site back up. As we will also be doing RTR's for people we will be posting some good building activity Here in the RCU boat section. For all your r/c boating needs - Dock
Old 08-15-2017, 10:49 AM
expresscraft

Here is our big Sun Seeker boat. Many do not even know we make these, The one in the video is running on a stock Zenoha 231 with a Bonzi clutch, These boats are big, 58" Long 23" wide. They are 450.00 in fiberglass, these are considered criuser boats,. So we do not make these in carbon fiber, they are still very strong boats, They also have a swim platform that makes them longer. What a great boat, you can play with these on the water and in the garage modeling great details on them, These Boats also fit Barbie Dolls great. Of course what we make is white gel coated and not painted like this one is.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sun seeker1 001.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	2228046   Click image for larger version

Name:	sun seeker1 002.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	2228047   Click image for larger version

Name:	sun seeker1 005.jpg
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	2228048   Click image for larger version

Name:	sun seeker1 006.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	2228049  
Old 08-19-2017, 05:16 PM
expresscraft

Ok, the talking about we are back is over. This is Jason's Apache getting built. we will show you what it takes to build a Expresscraft boat. While the days of craftsmanship are over for some, My wife loves making awesome Boats out of raw materials, step 1 is clean and wax the molds, Inspect them as well and let wax sit for a few minutes then ise a clean rag and remove wax.

Name:	jasons apache build 001.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	2228571   Click image for larger version

Name:	jasons apache build 002.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	2228572   Click image for larger version

Name:	jasons apache build 003.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	2228573   Click image for larger version

Name:	jasons apache build 004.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	2228574  
Old 08-22-2017, 05:10 AM
expresscraft

We sprayed the gel coat last night and will be starting lay up tonight. In the 1st picture, Lisa is attaching the qt cup of already mixed gel coat to the gravity gun we spray with, we use 35lbs. The bottle with the measuring cup on it is 925 MEK. we use 20 units for 1 qt of 944 gel coat. The air mixer is for mixing before spraying. 1 qt cup holds acetone for tool cleaning, the other for hand cleaning. Paint brush for tool cleaning and brushing in gel coat in problem area's if needed. We use the rag mainly to wipe down the air hose when done with acetone. Keeping your work space clean pays off. Last picture is our supervisors sleeping on the job.

Name:	jasons gel coat 002.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	2228959   Click image for larger version

Name:	jasons gel coat 003.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	2228960   Click image for larger version

Name:	jasons gel coat 004.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	2228961   Click image for larger version

Name:	jasons gel coat 005.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	2228962   Click image for larger version

Name:	jasons gel coat 001.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	2228963  
Old 08-22-2017, 12:08 PM
JasonWalters

Originally Posted by expresscraft
We sprayed the gel coat last night and will be starting lay up tonight. In the 1st picture, Lisa is attaching the qt cup of already mixed gel coat to the gravity gun we spray with, we use 35lbs. The bottle with the measuring cup on it is 925 MEK. we use 20 units for 1 qt of 944 gel coat. The air mixer is for mixing before spraying. 1 qt cup holds acetone for tool cleaning, the other for hand cleaning. Paint brush for tool cleaning and brushing in gel coat in problem area's if needed. We use the rag mainly to wipe down the air hose when done with acetone. Keeping your work space clean pays off. Last picture is our supervisors sleeping on the job.
This is awsome I can't wait for This hull. Amazing craftsmanship
Old 08-22-2017, 03:27 PM
expresscraft

So now Lisa is Doing the Apache top hull ring, this make a inside ledge for the deck to attach to as well as keeps the hull very strong and straight . there will be putty put in the corner to insure great coverage. the putty is areosils and resin mixed to a thick pudding texture. then we wet out strips a few inches wide of 1.5oz matt. once in place we walk away from hull. Of course it does take some careful brush woirk to make sure the matt ledge is very nicely in place.

Name:	Apache ring mold 001.jpg
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	2229066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Apache ring mold 002.jpg
Size:	340.2 KB
ID:	2229067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Apache ring mold 003.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	2229068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Apache ring mold 004.jpg
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	2229069  
Old 08-22-2017, 04:35 PM
JasonWalters

So now Lisa is Doing the Apache top hull ring, this make a inside ledge for the deck to attach to as well as keeps the hull very strong and straight . there will be putty put in the corner to insure great coverage. the putty is areosils and resin mixed to a thick pudding texture. then we wet out strips a few inches wide of 1.5oz matt. once in place we walk away from hull. Of course it does take some careful brush woirk to make sure the matt ledge is very nicely in place.
I like that your wife is building my boat woman are perfectionist! Can't wait
Old 08-23-2017, 10:11 AM
expresscraft

She was a seamstress when we meet. So she was already very picky about the job she does, I taught her to fiberglass, Neither of us are experts on all fiberglass, But I am pretty good on model boat building. The experts are the worst, They know way to much and have built real boats. So they look down on me as a mere model boat builder and do not listen to anything. Of course I have not meet one yet in almost 30 years, that worked at Sea Ray, Bay liner, Boston whaler ect that are all local here and more. that can even lay up a Hatch like the one on your Apache. Lisa knew nothing just like me when I was taught and she is one of the best builders We have ever had including me. Of course now that she has learned this work she does her own finger nails, so that is what she likes the most about learning. glassing. sanding and shaping ect. We will be doing the lay up tonight was best to let that ring dry good over night before going forward.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:48 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWalters
I like that your wife is building my boat woman are perfectionist! Can't wait
Don't know if I would take it that far as I know some ladies that only do the bare minimum to get by. I work with some that, if I was the boss, would be fired. Reasons are simple:
1) show up just as their shift is supposed to start or late almost every shift they are scheduled for
2) do things in ways not sanctioned by company documentation
3) at least one puts herself into situations that could (and should) bring ethics into question
4) repeatedly call in sick when other things they would rather do come up
Now, the only problem is proving there is an issue. Most have gotten away with all of the above through a lack of supervision. Since we work on what amounts to the honor system, no one really checks up on who shows up when or who leaves early
Old 08-24-2017, 11:41 AM
expresscraft

Sorry the woman you know are scrubs. Every thing you said also fits a lot of so called men.My wife is a ASE certified mechanic, has worked in the automotive parts world for 30 years. She manages a Advanced auto Hub that supplies 27 stores, she works full time there, then comes home and fiberglass's, She out works so called young men all the time. We both think a 40 HR work week is a joke. LOL that's not even 2 days a week. She also was a great Pit woman when I road raced bikes all over the south east, she is well known in that crowd as well. She is probably the only woman in the world making boats out of raw materials. I would put her work ethic up Against any ones. when she feels bad she works it off. She never calls in sick. How many guys do you know that have pitted for a racer at Daytona speed way?

Last edited by expresscraft; 08-24-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:03 PM
expresscraft

the carbon needs to be sprayed with spray glue so it stays together when handling, also needs to be cut to fit, Her seamstress days come in handy here. then putty gets put in the 90s as glass mat will not make those bends without leaving air, part is wetted out, 1.5 oz matt is put into place and then rolled out useing a tube light as well to check for perfection, Then with the same resin the matt used the carbon fiber is put in and worked in very nice.

Name:	Apache hull 001.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	2229312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Apache hull 002.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	2229313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Apache hull 003.jpg
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	2229314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Apache hull 004.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	2229315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Apache hull 005.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	2229316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Apache hull 006.jpg
Size:	345.1 KB
ID:	2229317  
Old 08-24-2017, 05:31 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Sorry the woman you know are scrubs. Every thing you said also fits a lot of so called men.My wife is a ASE certified mechanic, has worked in the automotive parts world for 30 years. She manages a Advanced auto Hub that supplies 27 stores, she works full time there, then comes home and fiberglass's, She out works so called young men all the time. We both think a 40 HR work week is a joke. LOL that's not even 2 days a week. She also was a great Pit woman when I road raced bikes all over the south east, she is well known in that crowd as well. She is probably the only woman in the world making boats out of raw materials. I would put her work ethic up Against any ones. when she feels bad she works it off. She never calls in sick. How many guys do you know that have pitted for a racer at Daytona speed way?
Sounds like you and I both got good ones. Needless to say, I was not implying yours wasn't, just that many are not. I have to agree, some guys fall into the same category as the ladies I described. I have several guys that figure they can show up at the last second since they don't get paid until their shift starts anyway. Then, of course, there are a few fools like me that don't feel right showing up less than 30 minutes early or leaving at least 15 or more minutes late
Old 08-24-2017, 08:52 PM
crapshooter

Talking

life is too short to work long hours unless your building boats.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:08 AM
expresscraft

When you do what you like, It's not work. More important i want to grow model boating, When you get on a boating only site they have traffic, In the main HOBBY sites the boating sections are slow. Lets get some of these Airplane and Car guys to say WOW that boating stuff looks pretty cool. Lets get these build threads, and the fun we have posted. Lets talk BOATS,BOATS, BOATS right here on RCU and get model boating going strong. When that happens development on some new great stuff will follow.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:47 AM
JasonWalters

Looking great I can't wait!
Old 08-26-2017, 03:56 PM
expresscraft

Deck and hatch are done, will need some detailing sanding and the deck will be ready to put on Tomorrow, Jason is on vacation right now, so we will be at a stopping point till he decides if wants the carbon fiber rails, over the wood ones. I will make some regardless as we have a few C-54's to start building I think Monday that will be powered by inline twins and will also be double layup. The inline twin Powered C-54 was the boat that Offshore director Riche from (Rico Boats) saw in Melbourne running when he started the great super boat class. So in a lot of ways the C-54 is the Super boat that started the class, and many say it's still the best. Lisa also wanted to show you the hands that make your boats.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails

Name:	deck and hatch 003.jpg
Size:	305.1 KB
ID:	2229525   Click image for larger version

Name:	deck and hatch 002.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	2229526   Click image for larger version

Name:	deck and hatch 001.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	2229527  
Old 08-31-2017, 04:21 PM
expresscraft

Ok had a few delays that are all good now. Found my glass table top that I use to make Carbon plates for engine rails and transoms. Lots of cleaning was needed. but Its got 1 coat of wax, and I will put on a few more and also wipe clean between wax coats. We got the deck sanded to a rough finish on the edges. have sanded the deck flange on the hull and cleaned very well. Then we wax the outer ring that keeps the clamps from putting uneven marks in the deck by spreading the load. put the putty on the flange mixed with MEK, So you are on the clock. position deck in place and use reference marks on mold to make sure it's straight. wipe the excess putty that comes out when you use your fingers to walk the deck down into the putty, wipe that clean. carefully position the deck ring mold in place and clamp it down back and forth one side to the other. if the deck hydro slides in the putty and dries you just ruined the boat. Still CRICKETS...come on RCU lets talk BOATS!!!!

Name:	Apache deck installation 001.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	2230020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Apache deck installation 003.jpg
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	2230021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Apache deck installation 004.jpg
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	2230022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Apache deck installation 005.jpg
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	2230023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Apache deck installation 007.jpg
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	2230024  
Old 09-01-2017, 06:38 PM
JasonWalters

So excited I can't wait to see it!
Old 09-01-2017, 06:47 PM
expresscraft

Well the pictures are not great but on the big piece of table glass, i have waxed the table 3 times just using the glass shelf piece as a guide for size. you might not be able to see it but it's there, that is also waxed. then i use that same sheet to use as a rough template for cutting 5 layers of 1.5 oz mat and 2 layers of 5.8 oz carbon fiber twill. the main thing is really wet this out well and roll out every other layer. one layer of carbon top and bottom. then put glass shelf in place and load up the weight. then walk away. we also rough sanded the Apache deck and it looks great and is nice and straight. I do have a little filling and block sanding to do. Me and the customer talked, and having the boat painted. So we sprayed the gel thinner so it would hold up better under his paint job. I got a little gatoring because of this but it will get filled and block sanded, once painted it will look and be great. Thick gel coat is more pron to crack.,Jason the whole glass table thing. is your carbon fiber rails. They will be done and ready to cut out tomorrow. Then they will be ready to be installed in boat. I do need to find my 2' rail tape, meant to get some today and forgot. I know I have a roll somewhere. either way my friend will have some at his shop.

Name:	001.jpg
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	2230095   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	2230096   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	2230097   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	2230098   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	2230099   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	2230100  
Old 09-02-2017, 10:17 AM
expresscraft

I did break my glass shelf piece of glass, i need to find a thicker piece. but the carbon plate to make nice rails out of turned out nice. This is a nice up grade over standard wooden rails, will be installing them soon. Jason when will you be ready to have boat sent to CP mods? i do not want to send it if he is not ready as it will take up a big space in his work shop. Also he might have to wait a little bit to get your Quick Draw. So even now we have some time. I will take this boat to painter soon to let them see what they are in for. The boat i gave them was just a test bed to see what they can do. So what do you guys think of the carbon fiber sheet I just showed you how to build? .

Name:	rals carbon fiber 001.jpg
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	2230209   Click image for larger version

Name:	rals carbon fiber 002.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	2230210   Click image for larger version

Name:	rals carbon fiber 003.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	2230211  
Old 09-02-2017, 11:55 AM
JasonWalters

Looking awsome. I talked to Octavio about 10-14 days we can send to him. When will u be rest to send? Take ur time no hurry. I also talked to Dan over at Bonzi about paint as well. You let me know how you feel about your painter as well.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:40 PM
expresscraft

The boat will be ready to go in the next day or so, could have already been done. But I knew we had some time and no hurry. very little left to do. will post more pics as we finish up. lisa was not happy with hatch, she just sprayed another one with the phantom hatch a few hours ago and is remaking the Apache hatch and the Phantom hatch together. Those will be done here in a bit.

Last edited by expresscraft; 09-02-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.