Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Have you had an O.S. engine peel its cheap nickel liner :(

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines
View Poll Results: A poll
I have had one of my O.S. engines peel its cheap nickel lining
28.57%
My friend or people I fly with have had thier O.S. engines peel
19.48%
I have never had or seen an O.S. engine peel its lining.
45.45%
I dont know enough about engines to know if my O.S. is peeling or not.
6.49%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Have you had an O.S. engine peel its cheap nickel liner :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 02:08 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Back to the topic: OS ABL liners peeling.
I started flying R/C in 1969, pattern in 1972. Got my first OS 61 VF ‘ABC’ from the first production run in late ‘79. Never had a VF peel and had one with more than 900 flights (I’ve kept an accurate flight log since ‘71). My first .61RF, before the pumped version, never peeled but was the same power as the VF (a bit disappointing). OS changed their plating process around this time (according to Peter Chinn who reported it in the Foreign Notes column in M.A.N. Due to increasingly stringent environmental regulations in Japan). I managed to get one of the first run .61 ABC-P engines which, I believe was the first production run using the new plating process. Pattern fliers are great ‘beta’ testers as we will run a new engine immediately and extensively. These engines were peeling severely at only 50 flights for everybody, including sponsored pilots (Ivan Kristensen admitted he had one). Fortunately, OS fixed their problem and replaced all the bad parts under warranty. The updated ABL sleeves were still not known for their longevity from a pattern perspective, typically lasting only 4-500 flights. Dave Shadel of Performance Specialties saw a business opportunity and convinced Henry Nelson to make a run of replacement true ABC replacement piston /sleeve sets. To increase the marketability of the parts, they increased the exhaust duration about 5 degrees more than stock. This preserved the easy handling characteristics of the engine, but added about 4-500 rpm to the top end. They also lasted at least 3 times as long as the stock parts. The Hanno Special-was released and was slightly more powerful than the RF-P with Nelson parts. Unfortunately, the durability of the stock liner had not improved; so Performance Specialties released AAC replacement parts. No porting changes, but an ounce lighter. Later, they released an AAC version for the YS .61 AR. Dave sold me his remaining stock of Hanno replacement parts about 20 years (just a few sets). I was thrilled to get them as I love the engine and did foresee the impending popularity of ‘classic’ pattern. 15 years ago there was enough interest to convince Henry Nelson to produce 50 more Hanno AAC sets and 15 AR sets. Then he retired and sold his business. The demand continued and several years ago Brian Gardner was convinced to make a run of 50 sets of true ABC Hanno replacement parts as well as 50 SF sets. Those sold out as did his second run of Hanno parts. He has since produced a run of VF and FSR ABC replacement parts which are still available (they have slightly increased exhaust duration for a noticeable power boost). He is planning a third run of Hanno parts later this year (which fit any OS RF version).
As for the remaining OS ‘ABL’ engines, the peeling problem still exists. I don’t run many side exhaust engines (the 55AX mentioned above and a 65AX which I bought used, ran on a pipe and discovered peeling after 140 flights). Two comments about OS peeling: 1) follow the break-in instructions!
2) OS has produced hundreds of thousands of their ABL engines over the past 30+ years with only a relatively small percentage of peeling, but a small percentage of a huge number of engines is still a lot of engines; hence the ‘peeling’ reputation. They are still terrific engines. Personally, I have logged more than 7,000 flights on various Hanno Specials. They all peeled eventually. My first one died at 1835 flights when the crankshaft broke. I think I got my money’s worth!

R/C engine durability: many years ago, Clarence Lee suggested in his RCM column that with CNC production, an engine should provide 100 hours of good service on average.
Stu Richmond discussed engine longevity in his R/C Report column for sport flyers. He also ran a hobby shop out of his basement for many years. He wasn’t sure if sport flyers ever actually wore an engine out as they generally put a new engine in a new airplane and old engines were either damaged in crashes or retired with the airplane they powered.
My 12 cents.
Will
The following users liked this post:
TheEdge (07-29-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 02:12 PM
flywilly

PS.
Jett engines are terrific. I own a few. They are basically hand made on demand. Pricey: yes, but they will last a lifetime and Dub provides great service for his engines.
I am not nor have never been a sponsored pilot. :-)
Old 07-29-2023, 02:25 PM
2W0EPI

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flywilly
Jett engines are terrific. Pricey: yes,
Does double or maybe 2/3 price increase of other engines including OS justify the expense?
Old 07-29-2023, 02:51 PM
flywilly

PPS
ABC or AAC do not peel.

The consumer justifies the price when the purchase is made.
Is a BMW or a Tesla worth the price?

Honestly, for a sport flier, probably not, but I’ve seen plenty of sport fliers with top-of-the- line radios, too.
The following users liked this post:
TheEdge (07-29-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 07:47 PM
Jesse Open

Received 105 Likes on 97 Posts

Ask the man who has owned a few.

If he pays the price, well worth it, to the only person who matters.
Consider how many Jett owners have more than just one.

The fellow who never has can only offer sour grapes.
Old 07-29-2023, 08:59 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=flywilly;12779009]PPS

The consumer justifies the price when the purchase is made.
/QUOTE]

... what would you say about this liner failure.. an OS .61RF ??
Old 07-29-2023, 11:06 PM
1967brutus

Received 95 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by flywilly
R/C engine durability: many years ago, Clarence Lee suggested in his RCM column that with CNC production, an engine should provide 100 hours of good service on average.
ASP engines allready easily surpass 100 hrs, even on fuels they were never designed for.
Old 07-31-2023, 08:15 AM
flywilly

That liner has definitely peeled, but because it was around the exhaust port you were probably able to continue running it without having any running issues. I’ve included a photo of of peeling from one of my old liners, where the peeling occurred at the top of the liner which will impact the low end first (reliable idle rpm increases). Also, unless you are running sealed bearings, the flaked nickel will ruin the rear bearing.