Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG Komander

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG Komander

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 09:36 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for all the info! I'm perplexed as to why someone would do a stick structure for the hor.stab on this plane, unless they were trying to save a fuzz of weight. It makes some sense too that the structure that was there really wasn't up to Sig's standards... and basically just fell apart.. of which I thought it was just years of sitting unprotected that made the glues brittle. I do have the general shape I think, as the structure when pieced back together looks aesthetically correct... but I'll double check it...I might go back to a solid stab at this point... although I've already pulled out sticks to build one up.... ha... we'll see.

The bottom-forward fuselage on mine is definitely plywood though... and the wings are bolt-ons.. so it's probably safe to surmise I do have a Mk II version. The wood underlying all the problems is typical Sig good clean balsa, and the plane has never seen any fuel or oil I'm sure... and that wood is the biggest reason I'm thinking this is a worthwhile project now... and since I'm invested about $100 already, I will continue with it as components arrive... and also study that pseudo plans/instructs too. Have a great day... I'm going flying!
Old 02-04-2018, 02:10 PM
Big Stikflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dale, if you have the MKII build manual, the vertical fin is in the center section of the book. If you don't have it, you can find the MKII build manual on outerzone that I sent them. It's a free download. I can also trace the horizontal stab for you but I'll need to send it snale mail, I don't have any way to send it electronically, sorry. At least it would get you going down the right path if you want to make your Komander original. And yes with the ply bottom up front, you have a MKII Komander.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:27 PM
DGrant

Thanks Jay! I'll compare what I have and see if it's close enough in shape to what I believe the original is. I was actually under the distinct impression the hor.stab was stick built, really just by the fact it was already glued on.. albeit flimsy.. I can't remember a thing about how I built that one so many years ago... It's all testing my memory.. ha. I thought it would be possible to leave that stab alone and that it was sturdy.. but it failed my stress test... actually miserably failed the test.. then the base came off the plane way to easy as well.. I think it was meant to be that I replace it. I'll let you know on the tracing... If I can get it close though with what I have I'll be good, and I won't bother you with it..but I appreciate the offer, and still might take you up on it. It's not a Space Shuttle... although I know we all like to think of our planes and projects like they are.. but I'm easily pleased when it comes to a freebie like this. I'll look at that manual maybe this evening or coming week and see what I have to deal with. Thanks for the response. Dale.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:04 PM
robbtennis

Default V2018

Hello again gentlemen. I've come to the final phases of reconstruction. Despite taking far longer to finish, I'm confident the final results will justify all the work. I have a question for you experienced builders...how to deal with 90° retracts on a dihedral wing? I've designed working 2 stage retract doors since I needed them in the front. However the dihedral is giving me a headache since I can't find reasonably priced 85° servoless retracts. Should I take out the dihedral altogether? If so, what are the repercussions besides less anti roll stability? Once past this hurdle I'm ready for glass and paint. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

PS I even figured out how to articulate the pilot's head 😎

Old 05-01-2018, 05:39 PM
Red7fifty
My Feedback: (73)

Leave the dihedral. I once took it out all the dihedral on a Pica designed Touche......it then roll coupled with the rudder so severely, I vowed to not mod stuff like that again.
I'd either deal with 90 degree retracts, or, undercut the wing so they retract deeper.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:47 PM
Red7fifty

That was also on a low wing. On a shoulder wing.....you might be able to get by with 0 degrees..........
Old 05-01-2018, 05:48 PM
Red7fifty

I added barndoor ailerons on a Kadet Jr........kept the stock dihedral.......with the flat bottom airfoil, it had soooo much adverse yaw, I had to increase aileron differential around 75%.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:23 PM
robbtennis

Default V2018

Thank you, Red! I thought the same thing about changing the angle of retracts internally but I just found some less expensive ($60) 85° servoless retracts on advantage hobby website. That gives me the freedom to leave leave the existing dihedral intact. In regards to the ailerons I decided to use two (2) servos which allow me to program flaperons into my transmitter...
Old 05-01-2018, 10:03 PM
Red7fifty

Do watch out for Flapperons.......as the dropped aileron will increase TipStall angle. Washout, is the raising of the wingtips......in a flaperon deployment, you add wash-in, instead of wash-out.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:21 PM
robbtennis

Originally Posted by Red7fifty
Do watch out for Flapperons.......as the dropped aileron will increase TipStall angle. Washout, is the raising of the wingtips......in a flaperon deployment, you add wash-in, instead of wash-out.
Duly noted Red thanks for your input!
Old 08-19-2018, 06:01 PM
HAL9KPCM

Well, second season of flying my Komander and it met its demise due to my own dumb thumbs. Fortunately, I still have another kit stashed away, I'm just about finished building a Kougar and once that's done, it will be time to build the other kit. The wing doesn't look bad sitting upside down, but it's totalled, the bottom covering is about all that was holding it together, just not worth repairing. Going to try and get the new one flying before the snow comes which around here, could be anywhere from tomorrow to December LOL.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:03 PM
Red7fifty

That SUCKS! Are you going to make a clone, or use the original kit parts?
Old 08-19-2018, 06:09 PM
HAL9KPCM

I'm going to build the kit. I have templates made if I ever have to build one from scratch, I can.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:13 PM
Red7fifty

Sooooo, what happened?
Old 08-19-2018, 06:19 PM
HAL9KPCM

Pilot error, lost orientation, snapping it around, thought I was upright when it was heading down inverted, pulled up and full bore thump into the ground.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:22 PM
Red7fifty

Sounds like it was spectacular!
Old 08-19-2018, 06:22 PM
Big Stikflyer

HAL9KPCM
Aw man that hurts, I really hate dumb thumbs syndrome. It happens so fast. I'm sure you already know this but Eureka Aircraft has the foam cores for the wings should you ever need one. Also Park Flyer Plastic has the canopy as well.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:24 PM
Red7fifty

The R/C Airplane Gods need a sacrifice occasionally.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:27 PM
HAL9KPCM

Oh yea, it was spectacular. Now at least some good news, I never had any pictures of it flying, but today the girlfriend of the only other guy out at the field was taking pictures and will be sending them to me.

Bigstikflyer, yup, I know about both of those places, and fiberglass specialties for a cowl I'll always keep spares so I can rebuild this plane, it's fun as heck to fly! Putts around like a trainer, burns around decently when you want it to.

Last edited by HAL9KPCM; 08-19-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:38 PM
HAL9KPCM

Forgot to mention, even destroyed three out of four Futaba S3004 servos. Cases broken and gears stripped. Costs $17 Canadian to fix an $18 servo.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:54 PM
Red7fifty

How is the engine?
Old 08-19-2018, 08:15 PM
HAL9KPCM

It appears fine. No physical damage on the outside, turns over fine.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:06 AM
DGrant

Sorry about the plane Hal. Hope you get a new one flying soon.

If anyone is near Indiana, I ran across this thread a while back from a guy that has(or maybe had) a Kommander. I almost posted it up in this thread, but I'd forgot about it until it came up in my feed again. Not sure if he still has it, or if he tossed. I hope he didn't toss it, but ... well... some people are well.. ya know... different ... right.

He wanted to sell it, and didn't know what it was, so several people ID'd it, gave him info on it, then he posts up if nobody comes and gets it, he's tossing... so here's a long shot for a Kommander if anyone's in his area...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Unknown/page2

Last edited by DGrant; 08-20-2018 at 07:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-20-2018, 09:55 AM
DGrant

Apparently the guy had a change of heart... haha... go figure.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...r#post40104630
Old 08-23-2018, 08:12 PM
robbtennis

Default Sig Komander

Very sorry about your loss. I recently totalled Sig Spacewalker because of a radio issue. It was an equally fun plane to watch and fly. Luckily my 30+ year old Komander is almost ready to fly again. She's getting a complete face lift inc retracts, fiberglass skin and articulating pilot. Is there any chance you'd sell me those original landing gear covers? Mine are old and broken and I can't find anything else that works as well as the originals. Here are pics of where I'm currently at a few steps away from painting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.