Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:45 AM
ronbell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Thanks for the replies on the fuel valves. For reference, the Dubro one I was referring to is:

http://www.advantagehobby.com/produc...roductid=62769

Greg - you did a great job of detailing the mental fight I have been going through with this. For the same reason you give ($K's invested) I am leaning towards taking the easy way out and simply installing a 3 line arrangement with a fuel dot. It looks like the Tetra fuel dot, see link below, needs the same or perhaps slightly smaller size hole in the cowl so I think I'll try to install it where I would put a fuel fill valve and thus keep the option open to switch later.

http://www.ronlund.com/mm5/merchant....ry_Code=BRATET

I really like the convenience of the fill valves and the fact that there is little chance of pushing fuel into the carb while filling the tank but must admit to being scared to ignore the advice I am getting from those who are more experienced than me.

One of the 'fun' things about this plane for me is dealing with all the options encountered during the build. While it is a really well done ARF that probably could be built straight from the box per the manual, it seems that few people do that. I have certainly made countless little tweaks and changes along the way, and I'm only about 1/3 of the way through. I also have a list of additional scaling details that I plan to come back to in subsequent winters as 'upgrades'.

Normand - wanted to let you know that I drank a couple in your honor last night. Being of Scottish descent I don't touch American beer, only good stuff

Ron.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:07 AM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ron, I use these valves on most of my models. I have them installed on my B-25 I fit them in just under the back edge of the cowl. I like that they shut off fuel to the engine. This allows me to plug the fueling probe into the valve at the end of the day with the motor running and have the fuel run out. I have had bad experiences with the clones from both Great planes and hobby people but the Dubros have been very good to me.

Hope that helps.

Dave
Old 04-03-2011, 08:15 AM
ronbell

Thanks Dave - great to know that the Dubros seem to be the best of the bunch as those are what I have

Like I said earlier, I now plan to start out with a fuel dot but would like to switch to the fill valves later.

I also like to be able to leave the plug in after fuelling so there is no 'fuel bleeding' into the carb between filling the the tank and actually starting the engine. I have an extra fuel probe, suitably plugged, with a large "Remove Before Flight" flag that I use for that.

Ron.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Far_high

Update on my build!

will receive the B-25 kit next week...Normand gave me a hint and make me save somemoney and traveling! ending up paying 550$ shipping to my door included

Tomorrow i will go pay him the beer you guys ask me! ( btw i will spyNormand shop and see if i can pick in is brain! but dont tell him!).

i will bring my camera and take picture and post it! keep your eyes open.

Normand kindly accept to "teach" me the basics of building models i am so happy to learn from a nice builder like him.

thank

Pat
Old 04-04-2011, 07:39 PM
djstar39
My Feedback: (4)

Pat,

We're envious that you have such a quality person close by that can assist you! Take advantage of him (figuratively) and soak up all you can. In this day and age it's rare that someone goes out of their way for someone they don't know. I've been blessed by several people on this board and in this hobby who give out of the kindness of their heart and for the love of building and flying these wonderful machines.

Dave

Old 04-06-2011, 01:12 PM
YOADRIAN

Hello guys and gals, figure i would drop by and say hello, just picked up a great package deal on a scale shop that closed down, and wouldn't you know it a TF B-25 was part of the deal. The kit was peeled and glassed it has a fully functioning top turret (hand made), up/down ,side to side, and all retracts installed. two brand new 4 stroke OS fsx72 mounted. bombay doors installed. The guy who was doing the work is a master builder of planes, that some have attended Top gun, so it was in good hands. Now it fell into my hands, oh boy! so wish me luck. I am up to page 55 of reading so i have a bit to go before i start to pry into her and i hope to count on some of you guys for advice if i get in a jam along the way. They even included a 400.00 aluminum paint for her. I hope these engines can do the job. i will start to post some pics when i start.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:10 PM
ronbell

Welcome YOADRIAN! While it is always sad to hear of an RC related business closing, it sounds like you got one heck of a deal!! Perhaps I should get you to buy my lottery tickets for me

Have you given any thought to the paint scheme you are going to use? You might want to do the aluminum scheme that Executive Sweet had when she was still in active service rather than the post war scheme that she bears now (as in the kit).

Anyway, whatever you decide, good luck and please keep us posted.

Ron.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:58 PM
YOADRIAN

Thanks Ron i will keep u posted. I will be going all aluminum and i will be hunting for some war time pics, if you come across any let me know. Thanks for the welcome.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:50 PM
ronbell

Here's a pretty good starting place...

http://www.aafgroup.org/photogallery2.html

However, just 'google' Executive Sweet or B-25J and you'll find a ton of information and pictures.

Ron.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:34 AM
ronbell

Tim (krproton) - I hope that you still check this thread as I just saw your FS-72A install and really like it (post #2496 on page 100). Can you tell me which header pipe you are using. The one that comes with the engine is a short, straight pipe. I'd like to use the same one as you and am not sure which part to buy.

Many thanks in advance,

Ron.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:56 AM
ronbell

Hi Tim - I think I now see how you did it. Looks like you used the 2-stoke hole pattern to install the motor mount rotated further round so that the OS91 header pipe could be used.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:35 AM
Far_high

*****UPDATE******

Got my B-25 yesterday! I am finisihng my p-47 thunderbolt 60 this week-end and starting this project next week....with the help of my mentor Normand!

i ordered mos of basics parts, just missing retract from robart, onboard glow from McDaniel, Gyro and 1 servo.

I still have to lay on paper my building plan, i think i will have to pass by Normand place for the second time!

By the way i pay him in wine instead of the beer in my first visit...call it investment.  Normand is a very nice person the shop he install in the basement is so nice and well equiped, i might pick some idea of the layout.

RonBell, where you at with the build?

Pat
Old 04-15-2011, 08:46 AM
ronbell

Pat,

I guess that I am somewhere around the 40% point in my build. I have the bomb bay and bomb release system finished (did that first), all the electronics, battery layout, pneumatics, etc planned out and the related mounting provisions installed, and the retracts installed. Recently I have been working on the nacelles. That got stalled for a little while asI waited for a fellow club member who is a machinist to make me metal gear door levers. While waiting I went ahead and built up the tail parts.

Uncle Sam was a little kinder than anticipated so I went ahead and got a set of Robart Unibrakes. Last night I installed the brakes on one side and finished up the gear doors on that nacelle (except for paint touch up). Once I bring the other side to the same level I plan to move to engine and cowl installation. I am currently working through some issues with getting the muffler to where I am happy. It looks like I am going to have to use the expensive ($35 each!!) OS 60 degree header adapters and then lean on my machinist buddy again to come up with a threaded connector to couple it to the muffler.

One tip - do not glue in the fuel tank retaining strips. Use small screws instead. I am REALLY glad that I did as I must have had to pull the tanks back out and remove the nacelle structure at least 3 times now for one reason or another. It will also facilitate maintenance in the future, like replacing clunk lines.

Also, if you go ahead and install the blind nuts on the firewall for the cowl supports BEFORE installing the nacelle covers then you will not need to remove the covers after you have the gear doors all set up and working properly.

After I finish up the inner wing structures I plan to take care of decals, side windows, and gun blisters on the fuselage before attaching the wings. My plan is that once I have the inner wings attached they should be able to stay there.

Below are a few pictures from last night. I don't anticipate much more progress for the next few weeks due to house guests, Easter, and other things we have going on at home. That's no problem as I need to improve my flying skills before risking this beauty anyway!!

Ron.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31496.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1594272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69614.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1594273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19262.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1594274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30816.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1594275   Click image for larger version

Name:	It98303.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1594276  
Old 04-15-2011, 01:31 PM
gregory.aldrich1
My Feedback: (9)

Looking good guys. Should be gettign back to building here in the next week or two. Lots going on and a flu to deal with has delayed my build. But, I do have everything I need to finish so I just need to get motivated. Should be flying this season anyway, lol.

Greg
Old 04-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Far_high

Ron

Do you think it needed to install brake on this plane, you and Normand have install it.

If you land on a paved surface maybe but on grass i am not sure if i need it ???? it is ...again more $$$$$. "

what is the cost in money and time to do this mod?

thank

pat
Old 04-15-2011, 05:14 PM
ronbell

Pat,

Since I haven't flown mine yet then I am not really the right person to ask. However, everything on this thread suggests that brakes are NOT required if you fly off grass.

My club field is on a disused airfield. We have resurfaced about 550 feet of the original runway and have rougheroverrun at each end. My problem is that our flight stations are all towards the mid point of the runway and I have trouble touching down before I have used up at least on third of the runway, sometimes more. Therefore, I envision a real probability of me running off the end into the rough areas and, with my luck, snapping off the nose strut. Therefore, when the tax man came through with an unexpected rebate I decided to put it to good use

You are right that they don't come cheap, made worse by the fact that I was already out of radio channels so I had to buy the proportional controller that lets the brakes operate via down elevator when the gear is deployed. All in they probably cost me around $250 - brakes, controller, tank, fill valve, plumbing, etc.

Ron.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:31 PM
djstar39

Ron,

Looking great!!! Although I must say my wife would have a comment or two about that plane being in the kitchen!

Pat, I have brakes and do use them. They are absolutely not needed on grass. I got them because... well I wanted them. Isn't that what this hobby really is? Wants vs needs.

I will tell you though that whether I'm on grass or paved, I taxi out, set the brakes, run the engines up to full power, release the brakes and go. On grass this isn't any issue whether you have brakes or not. On pavement, if your engines don't spool up about the same together, you might find yourself wondering around the runway as you accellerate to takeoff speed. I have enough on my mind during those few seconds so this eliminates one more thing that can distract me. Now if I were a better pilot, I would simply control that wondering with the rudder / nosewheel. I can also listen to those engines at full power before commiting to takeoff.

So no, they're not needed and you will do fine on grass. You can always add them later. And as Ron said... need another channel.

Got out to fly last week for the first time this season. B-25 needs some PM so it was just 60 size Mustangs.

Dave
Old 04-15-2011, 06:54 PM
ronbell

Thanks Dave - no worries, that's the counter in our basement. My wife is also from Scotland so, if that had been the kitchen then I would be in a hospital somewhere praying that the little fellow could be re-attached!!!

Also - you're absolutely right about the brakes ... I wanted them

Ron.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:47 PM
djstar39

ORIGINAL: ronbell

Thanks Dave - no worries, that's the counter in our basement. My wife is also from Scotland so, if that had been the kitchen then I would be in a hospital somewhere praying that the little fellow could be re-attached!!!

Also - you're absolutely right about the brakes ... I wanted them [img][/img]

Ron.
You just cracked me up on the re-attach comment! How true!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Thomas B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Calling out for some help from the TF B-25 community....

I managed to destroy my upper turrent plastic this past weekend, on the ground.....sigh.........and OF COURSE TF is out of stock for at least a month.

Anyone in the group have a spare they would part with? Willing to pay, or swap when I get my new one one of these days.

Any help greatly appreciated!

PM me, please!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:39 PM
gregory.aldrich1

Hey guys, finally got busy last week and after 30 or so hours, the fuse is complete! Although I did shove a pair of plyers through the canopy (accidental and another on it's way), the thing turned out pretty good. I shifted the side packs a little forward and lower to accomodate the double battery charge switches on the co-pilot side, repainted the nose gunner cockpit a different color and added some pilots (Hanger 9 1/9 scale pilots). the pilots were less than ten bucks a piece! I call them Hanz and Franz, lol.
Should be in the air within two weeks! Wish me luck!

Greg

Name:	Ig11268.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1610899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11675.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1610900  
Old 05-19-2011, 04:10 AM
ronbell

Looks awesome Greg!!! Good luck with your maiden - be sure to let us know how it goes.

Ron.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:19 PM
gregory.aldrich1

Thanks Ron. I will certainly let you guys know how it went. I'm taking every precaution I can to ensure a successful maiden. I wish I could have done more to scale it out, but honestly, it took a major boost in motivation to get it to this point. Later on, after a trainer kit, a glider kit, a P47 kit and maybe the new Great Planes Waco ARF, Ill do the panel lines and maybe some rivets. I would like to install the bomb kit but I am not looking forward to redoing all the hoses and wires that will need to be moved to make that possible. Anyway, I'm shooting for the Memorial day weekend for the maiden. I have till then to finish the bird, tune the motors in and finish up anything else needed, like replacing that busted canopy. Still can't believe I shoved a pair of needle nose plyers throught the side of it! Oh well, thank goodness it was only 9 bucks. On the other hand, I dropped the nose canopy and cracked that too, so I will eventually have to replace that as well. It's never ending, NEVER ENDING I TELL YOU! LOL

ps. I've included a pic of the reason I had to mount the side guns in a different spot. Didn't plan it that way, just forgot about the guns when I was installing the charge jack/switches. Eh, live and learn.

Greg

Name:	Hf98511.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1611398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20625.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1611399  
Old 05-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Speedracer2112

ORIGINAL: ronbell

I would be in a hospital somewhere praying that the little fellow could be re-attached!!!

Ron.
I use the center of the living room, half of the family room and part of the dinning room at the same time. No....I'm not kidding. I finished a 10' B-17 this spring.

I did my maintenance on my bird and she is on the KITCHEN table ready for in the AM. I found a bad tank pressure line on the starboard engine which explained some bad behavior last time I flew. She needs new tires again but these will do.

The weather will be perfect in the morning. Unfortuately, my son will be in school and he does all my video. I'll see what I can do.

SR

Name:	sp45372.jpg
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1611488  
Old 05-20-2011, 12:25 PM
Speedracer2112

Things you should never do with a TopFlite B-25!!!

I land in the grass on purpose to slow her down. My runway is too short! [>:] It causes a little bunny hop but not too bad. Its way better than going off the end at a higher speed or tearing up my tires. I dont have an excuse for the bad landing or the "NON SCALE" flying.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Ec9jG7FFY[/youtube]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.