Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Zippkits Rockett hydro build

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Zippkits Rockett hydro build

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:38 PM
brodjack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Zippkits Rockett hydro build

ORIGINAL: rcboateric

ORIGINAL: brodjack

Looks good Mart,seems your getting more bottle for faster turns now[8D]

Time to give our stuff a race me thinks..If it ever stops raining.

Could have been a glitch failsafe maybe,2.4 still isnt 100% secure yet.I have had one on my Apache,unknown reason,quite close too.
Had afew on my helis with 2.4 too,to then suddenly jump back to life and ableing to do an auto and land ok. scary stuff.[X(]

think its that carb though,what you really need is a 257,,LOL

Brod..
2.4 ghz radio works perfect in my cat, no glitch at all, better control distance and easy to setup, I love this radio more than other radios I have ever owned.

I agree RCB,2.4 IS the way to go.But it still isnt 100% failproof. No electronic item is.
I lost a 1000 pound heli to a failsafe cutout last year into a deep pond,it will still be there
It flew lots of airtime without problems,it only took the one..That was on a Spectrum DX7.
My Raptor Titan has had about 3 cutouts all very high so was able to auto it down safely.When the reception kicked back in.

My 2.4 Futaba 3PM runs great but had one strange cutout at a range of only about 30 yds,i set the motor failsafe to a slow idle and low and behold power came back after about 10 seconds.

Talk to some of the plane fliers,they will tell you the same.
I went to 2.4 because of all the traffic,yachters etc on our lake with no frequency organisation.
I still wouldnt run anything else though,it is still probaly the safest system.

Setting the rudder to turn seems a good idea to diagnose it..

Brod..

Brod..
Old 09-04-2008, 08:25 PM
rcboateric
Banned

ORIGINAL: rcboateric

Looks good Mart,seems your getting more bottle for faster turns now[8D]

Time to give our stuff a race me thinks..If it ever stops raining.

Could have been a glitch failsafe maybe,2.4 still isnt 100% secure yet.I have had one on my Apache,unknown reason,quite close too.
Had afew on my helis with 2.4 too,to then suddenly jump back to life and ableing to do an auto and land ok. scary stuff.[X(]

think its that carb though,what you really need is a 257,,LOL

Brod..
2.4 ghz radio works perfect in my cat, no glitch at all, better control distance and easy to setup, I love this radio more than other radios I have ever owned.

My 2.4 Futaba 3PM runs great but had one strange cutout at a range of only about 30 yds,i set the motor failsafe to a slow idle and low and behold power came back after about 10 seconds.

Brod..
are you running a F603FS receiver? if so, that's what happens, I'm using a double antenna R603FF one, within 1000 feet of the control distance, it never cuts out.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:46 PM
brodjack

The 603FF rx is what i'm using and that is the single antenna one,not the 603FS which is the double.

Brod..
Old 09-04-2008, 08:52 PM
rcboateric
Banned

you're right mate, my mistake.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:09 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mines the R606FS twin antenna,to my knowledge no glitches that ive noticed,i might set the rudder as suggested just to rule it out next time the boat stops.
Mart
Old 09-05-2008, 05:20 AM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Sounds ok in pricipal but what happens if your close in when it happens and your boat smashes into the concrete wall [X(].
Mart
If your failsafe kicks in and your throttle is set to close, the zippkit falls off plane and slows right down in a hurry. Full left will expedite this slowdown further. If you're running parallel to a solid barrier with less than a 10' cushion, you're too close! I've broken prop blades and kicked up rudders hitting turtles and fish, both causing the boat to head off in a rather uncontrolled manner.

Without a clear signal that failsafe has kicked in, you can be chasing your tail forever trying to diagnose it. A couple of our club members spent a full racing season trying to diagnose a motor issue that was nothing more than their spektrum's failsafe kicking in. After replacing carbs, isolator blocks, coils, plugs, water lines and pickups (hard to diagnose overheating when it takes several minutes to collect a dead boat), adding left rudder to the failsafe immediately told them what was going on. The first time the failsafe kicked on shutting off the motor and turning hard left (out of racing lanes), the diagnosis was complete.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:08 AM
martno1fan

OK you made your point ,i might give it a go.
Mart
Old 09-21-2008, 02:32 PM
martno1fan

Hi guys well we finally got some nice weather today so we went to the lake,the rockett ran awesome.There were a few big schooners on the lake so i couldnt use all the lake up as planned but even so id say this was her fastest days running so far.I held the throttle down in the turns and wow she turns like shes on rails,heres a video of her running.We had quite a crowd watching her run by the end as you will see she still cut out on me a cpl of times im certain its a fuel delivery issue so i might swap out the tank for a bag setup when i get chance.
Mart
[link]http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm248/martno1fan/?action=view&current=ROCKETTLETTINGHERRIP.flv[/link]
Old 09-21-2008, 03:59 PM
gasboataddict

Wow, your Hydro's really flying now Mart. Awsome video.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:17 PM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: gasboataddict

Wow, your Hydro's really flying now Mart. Awsome video.
Thanks mate yea she doesnt hang about thats for sure and i havent even hardly altered a thing since i built it so theres probably lots more there to find yet .
Mart
Old 09-21-2008, 05:48 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking real good there buddy,seems like the missus is getting better with the camera too....
Old 09-21-2008, 05:51 PM
martno1fan

Cheers mate actually that was my lad he took over from her,its a new camera too well almost weve had it a few months.Records direct to dvd then i stick it on the comp.
Mart
Old 09-21-2008, 07:10 PM
martno1fan

for those who prefer utube.,click to watch it in high quality when you go to the link its much better that way.
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVGBWC_3MuY[/link]
Old 07-19-2009, 07:53 AM
eengler

Can someone second that recommended pipe length that Joe Petro said. 12 1/2 inches from face of exhaust to the "end" of the 2 inch pipe? I am building a falcon cat with a 260 stocker with a two inch hanson pipe, i figure pipe length will be similar. Please help with pipe length.....
Old 07-19-2009, 08:26 AM
martno1fan

Usually you measure round the centreline of the header to the mid point of the 2" band,mine is a full mod motor so i cant say what measurement you would be best at.The cone to cone or no band pipe is the best for a stock motor i believe.Also it depends what prop your running as no two setups are the same,you will need to tune as you go till you find the right length.Usually start at arround 14" then move in 1/4 at a time till performance improves then keep goin till it drops off again then pull it back out 1/4 and you should be about right.Once you find the sweet spot trim the header so its 1/2" past the last o ring in the pipe.
Mart
Old 07-19-2009, 09:14 AM
eengler

ok, so you believe 14 inches from the plug to the middle of the 2 inch band... right? and then work from there....
Old 07-19-2009, 09:18 AM
martno1fan

Measure from flange round header to mid part of 2" band or fattest part on a no band pipe 14" and start from there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97607.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	1239721  
Old 07-19-2009, 09:21 AM
eengler

Ok, I just measured... Our "plug to mid line on the 2 inch pipe" at 14 inches is the same than having joe petros "measurements" at 13 inches instead of the 12.5. So it sounds right, it's just that we are going conservative and joe is giving exact. I'LL START CONSERVATIVE!
Old 07-19-2009, 09:26 AM
martno1fan

Just so you know the reason we measure round the header centreline is because you cant ever get a definate measurement thats consistant by measureing in straight lines because if you have two boats one with a 90% header with a 1" offset it will be different than having one with a 3" offset which is why you should allways measure round the centreline of the header and pipe that way no matter what header you use you will allways get a correct reliable pipe length .
Mart
ps i hope that covers you next question
Old 07-19-2009, 10:29 AM
eengler

HAHAHA THANKS MART, i do appreciate your advice. but i have been in this hobby for 15 years now. i am not "That" much of a rook. Remember my other sprint cat is hitting 67mph already, i need some more tweaking to do. I am sure this Falcon will be nice, I use to do alot of nitro racing specially in the 0.21 size which are the hardest to tune. But i am learning quick form you guys in the Gas boat section.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:35 AM
martno1fan

Sory mate just teasing yaa ,67mph cmon you should be hitting 70 by now at least with all Wally's advice lol .
Mart
Old 07-19-2009, 11:48 AM
eengler

HAHAHA... sure 70 mph is easy..... yeah right! The sprint has only been out to the lake 3 times. So, anyways i picked this forum becuase i am sure some of these thunderbolts and crackerboxes are hitting between 50-55 mph. not much more than 55mph. I do not believe a stocker will do more than 55mph. I am going to use a modded 257 though.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:57 AM
martno1fan

Stick with the normal 257 the modded ones are a waste of $$ heard that many a time from many engine modders .save your money and spend it on a new prop .I think the fastest thunderboat with a stock zenoah was clocked at 60 mph i read somewhere on the dock [X(].I was only messing with yaa about the 70 mph thing mate
Mart
Old 07-19-2009, 12:02 PM
eengler

no prob. i know you where messing. I know 67 is pretty respectable in anyones eyes. I just don't know how the heck wally gets to 80 mph. Well i figure if i get 55 out of the Falcon, it would be an accomplishment. I already sent the carb to get modified $30 bucks, =/
Old 07-19-2009, 12:10 PM
martno1fan

Oh well try it and see ,havent had a gps in mine when shes been running flat out yet.Last 2 times out i was having carb problems ive rebuilt the carb so ill get some numbers next time out.Then the motors coming out to go in the new Comet hydro just to see how she handles the power of the SS.Someone in the uk has had that falcon cat to 60 mph with a stock zen so it is possible .
Mart

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.