Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:47 AM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

[quote]ORIGINAL: wowplanes

Sure you can use FG on the fuse and LS on the wings and tail. Do the wing first with LS and then see how that comes out and then you can decide to go FG or LS on the fuse.

The full size Hornet is 540'' span. That would make a 1/5 scale 108'' and a 1/6 scale 90''. Are you sure you want something that big?
I need at least 10 people to sign up and commit to buy the kit to make it worthwhile.

Fahim

the 1/6 version would probably be best for most guys, gas or glow or even electric. 90" span would be just about right. 2 down 8 guys to go. you all wanted more kits to build, so come on guys jump aboard and let's get'er done!!!!!!! the hornet was fastest fighter in w.w.2 and is a great modeling subject. 2 1.20 glow engs., on board glow lighter, retracts, mains and tail gear, (sierra or century mains), wowplanes. just can't get any better than that. when you get her done you will have a plane you can be very proud of and a very classy one that goes like stink!!!!!!!!!! let's hear of some other possible combos. let's get some excitement generated and twist wowplanes arm, send him some money then he CAN't refuse us (ha ha)!!!!!!!

HELLS BELLS HOW DID GET THIS POST IN QUOTE BOX?????? THIS OLD MAN WOULD GET LOST GOIN' OUT THE BACK DOOR!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2010, 11:06 AM
SteelersRule!

Once again I think I screwed up. Paul Johnson's website is the one I sohld have posted yesterday as being a tremendous help for kit builders and he has the magnetic fixtures which has truely helped. Here is his website:

Custom Builder [[email protected]]

He is a super guy and his site has something for everyone.

Thanks folks, have a great holiday.......
Old 04-05-2010, 10:21 AM
SteelersRule!

I have finally figured out my biggest problem with building my GP 300s .60. As you might recall, I mentioned I was very frustrated in the build. This has nothing whatsover to do with Great Planes. I know many friends that are very happy with their products.I am sure they arevery good. My frustration is not with measuring, gluing, sanding, etc.I gotthat.

It is recognizing some of the building pieces that are described in the instruction manual. It takes me an inordinate time to figure out which part is which part they are talking about in the instructions. If they would simply put the word with an arrow pertaining to thzt particularinstruction at that point, I would be able to do this.I know for 99% of you out there you have done this a zillion times and it is 2nd nature.Maybe other easier kits do this,I don't know. There is some terminology in the building lexiconthat is used that I do not understand what they mean but I am sure that I would only need to do these things once and would be able to do from now on.

When they say in the instructions, " cross pin,the top spar with the doubler down and toward the root" It took me some time to figure out the root was towards the fuselage, the doubler down since the wing was be built upside down. etc, I got some of that but still had some doubt even though I was correct and had no one to bounce my build off of.

Maybe it would be better if kits were labeled beginners, level 2, etc. This would be a good opportunity for a manufacturer to have the r/c hobbiest grow with their company since there would be some synergy with the kits.

It seems the only place to find ease of build of models is in RCUniverse. I wish I had been a member prior to getting the kits I did. It would certainly be great if there were build threads that you folks with plenty experience could put on the forums with pictures and basic enough instructions for beginners to understand and with more intricate kit levelsmoving forward. You seem to have some concensus of the various types of building kits for beginners, etc based on thethreads I have read. If someone would take it upon themselves to post a thread or better still to walk a rookie through the build and have them document with comments on how things went for them and pictures that would be a fantastic thing to do to help the folks that want to be succesful and grow in this great sport. It would be a big confidence boost for us. Just a thought. Happy Flying and Building!

Lou
Old 04-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my closet, why ?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:25 PM
wowplanes

ORIGINAL: wowplanes

Sure you can use FG on the fuse and LS on the wings and tail. Do the wing first with LS and then see how that comes out and then you can decide to go FG or LS on the fuse.

The full size Hornet is 540'' span. That would make a 1/5 scale 108'' and a 1/6 scale 90''. Are you sure you want something that big?
I need at least 10 people to sign up and commit to buy the kit to make it worthwhile.

Fahim

the 1/6 version would probably be best for most guys, gas or glow or even electric. 90'' span would be just about right. 2 down 8 guys to go. you all wanted more kits to build, so come on guys jump aboard and let's get'er done!!!!!!! the hornet was fastest fighter in w.w.2 and is a great modeling subject. 2 1.20 glow engs., on board glow lighter, retracts, mains and tail gear, (sierra or century mains), wowplanes. just can't get any better than that. when you get her done you will have a plane you can be very proud of and a very classy one that goes like stink!!!!!!!!!! let's hear of some other possible combos. let's get some excitement generated and twist wowplanes arm, send him some money then he CAN't refuse us (ha ha)!!!!!!!

HELLS BELLS HOW DID GET THIS POST IN QUOTE BOX?????? THIS OLD MAN WOULD GET LOST GOIN' OUT THE BACK DOOR!!!!!!
Sorry Fujiman, I typed my words between the delimiters and that's why they appeared in the quote box. Just goes to show that humans can still fool computers.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:42 PM
SteelersRule!

I bought 3 Cleveland model kits at the Weak Signal show in Toledo. The WS ranges from 21"-25" The gentleman that owned these and about 600 other kits passed away a few months ago and his were selling them for the estate. THe gentleman kept all his kits in a highly controlled room for humidity,temperature and the kits were kept so that no sunlight would ever harm them. Upon opening the kits, the wood was in fantastic shape, the only way you knew these kits were from the 1930's was a very little light brown edge on the sheeted plans. The intricacy of the plans are amazing. It is a hoot to look at the wood sheets and see basically blue ink for the outline of the various parts. I think you would have to be a skilled surgeon to cut them!

My question to the forum is, would any of you build these planes or do I leave them alone? Do I build them as static models? I thought it would be interesting to find out if any of you in the RCUniverse has taken on these type of kits or just show your buddies how the kits in the old days were. Again the wood looks brand new and is of superior quality.

Lou

<br type="_moz" />

<br type="_moz" />
Old 04-18-2010, 01:58 PM
davidgeorge212

Thats what these kits are for, so you can build them up. As much as I like looking at old kits I like to see them being built and finnished even more. If you want to build them but want to preserve the contents of the kit you can always go down and copy the plans and scratch build the plane off the copy of the plans. That way you preserve all of the original wood and parts from the kit.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:41 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Save the kit but build the plane.....make duplicate parts and build it! Save the kit for the next generation of young people who will be amazed at how something is actually built
Old 04-19-2010, 06:56 AM
SteelersRule!

good ideas on saving the wood and the kits for the folks down the road. it wont be hard to do both, the plans are realy neat. i wil give it a go on buiding the planes with new wood and copying the plans.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:32 AM
SteelersRule!

i talked to Bruce Tharpe yesterday and FYI he is kitting 100 Venture 60's   hould start to ship in a month.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:32 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

In my closet, why ?

I was going to say, "In my two car garage, stacked floor to ceiling, plus a rental storage unit that's costing me $150 per month!!!".

Seriously, I do have a few kits, but most of my boxes are full of ARFs. I confess. I have a problem. Wanna buy a BARF? (smile/joke)

Ed Cregger
Old 04-20-2010, 11:03 PM
tailskid

Wanna buy a BARF? (smile/joke)

No Ed, not a Barf, only kits
Old 04-21-2010, 06:55 AM
SteelersRule!

re: the Cleveland Kits I picked up at the Toledo show....

Hee are the models I bought:
1932 Douglass O-38 Observation
Boeing P26A
Curtiss F11C-9 Goshawk

I am looking for some color pictures of the above as I am going to make copies of the plans and build them as static planes at this time ( or ideas on electirc for planes that weigh about 6 oz.).

Anywhere I can go to get some various color shots of these? I found one of the P26A that looks good.

Thx

Lou
Old 04-21-2010, 11:59 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Seriously, I do have a few kits that might be up for sale in a while. My vision is going from diabetes, so having kits won't do me much good. I'll be sure to post here when/if I put them up for sale on RCU.

A few original Bridi kits (No UFO or fiberglass Bridi kits), Bluejay Bridi copies, Sterling PT-17 (large), Florio Stunt Wagon, etc. in the que. Had I enough room to work, I would make copies of the originals of some kits (NOT STERLING!!!!) and pass them along when the time comes. I'd hate to see them die out altogether.

The Kaos 60 is my favorite model of all time. A super versatile sport flyer (these days). The Super Kaos is cool too, as is the Dirty Birdy and the RCM Trainer series.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-21-2010, 06:40 PM
tailskid

I'm so sorry to hear that Ed.....let's hope it takes its time and gives you a dozen or so more years of good vision!

Jerry
Old 04-22-2010, 07:20 AM
SteelersRule!

Can anyone direct me to some builld threads for the following:
Mountain Models<ul>[*]Lucky Ace[*]Eva Sport[/list]Stella Aero
<ul>[*]Stella[*]Frede 1.5 I Know!! for my 11 yr old!!![/list]Thanks folks!<br type="_moz" />
Old 04-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Bravegary2

Don't know if anyone has posted it already but Aerotech Rc has gaint scale kits. My friend Bob Sawyers Ultra light 55% Extra 260 kit is there.

http://aerotechrcmodels.com/

Old 04-29-2010, 12:51 PM
smrouss

I just came across this thread and am glad to see all of these kit manufacturers listed - many of which I've never heard of. I originally got into the hobby in the early 80's then took about a 25 year hiatus before coming back to it a few years ago. I feel like Rip Van Winkle with all of the changes that have happened during that time - most notably the ARF explosion. In any case, I'm looking for a good 40 sized WWII warbird kit provider. Any suggestions? (In the interest of full disclosure I have not yet read all of the postings in this thread but am working my way through)
Thanks!
Scott
Old 04-29-2010, 02:43 PM
wowplanes

ORIGINAL: smrouss

I just came across this thread and am glad to see all of these kit manufacturers listed - many of which I've never heard of. I originally got into the hobby in the early 80's then took about a 25 year hiatus before coming back to it a few years ago. I feel like Rip Van Winkle with all of the changes that have happened during that time - most notably the ARF explosion. In any case, I'm looking for a good 40 sized WWII warbird kit provider. Any suggestions? (In the interest of full disclosure I have not yet read all of the postings in this thread but am working my way through)
Thanks!
Scott

http://www.wowplanes.com have many nice warbirds in the size you are looking for.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:34 PM
wrnr

This forum is a real treasure trove - lots to wade through, though ...
Could anyone on this great forum point me to Buecker kits - Jungmeister or Jungmann?

Thanks,
Werner
Old 05-20-2010, 08:58 AM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jungmiester- arizona models or try the hostetler plans and a kit cut by percision cut kits.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: planebuilder66

jungmiester- arizona models or try the hostetler plans and a kit cut by percision cut kits.
Werner,
Before you look at Arizona Models, search for and read recent posts in the two active threads with Arizona Models in the topic.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 05-21-2010, 12:23 PM
rfmillte

[font="Times New Roman"]
I have a question. If we have a no longer product kit complete, and wish to have more made. How could we do it. Is there anyone out there that can make kits, if they had a model to go by. Thanks Tim
Old 05-21-2010, 01:14 PM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

have to have a set of plans.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Ricky2000

This is an excellent thread and has amused me for hours.
I am really pleased to see that there are so many people still interested in building rather than assembling a few ARF components.
I have always felt that building the model - whether that be scatch built or from a kit - puts a far bigger smile on your face when flying it.
Of course, the reverse is also true when the rekitting happens on landing!

I have been interested in some of the recent comments about old kits. I have 2.
A Royal Beechcraft 58P Baron and a Bud Nosen P51 Mustang. Both kits are as new in the box but the boxes are worn.
I have the Baron for sale on Ebay UK site at the moment if you want to check it out.
The Mustang is probably the only unbuilt one on earth! Should I sell it, build it, copy the plans and instructions, make another kit from it or what?
The issue I have is that when it is gone that might be the last chance to make more kits of it.
Any advice would be welcome.

In answer to a very early point in the thread about "we have less time to build nowadays".
We used to make our own amusements rather than have all the electronic media that is available nowadays. So it is not a question of less time but a personal decision as to what to do with ones time - I prefer building to television.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.