Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

OFFICIAL HPI Sprint 2 Thread (Sport and Flux)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 05:21 AM
joeyhatch11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL HPI Sprint 2 Thread (Sport and Flux)

I asked that question and no one ever answered. I found that by turning that "screw" on the right side by the servo, that's loaded with the spring, she'll hold very well.  Even after I made that adjustment, the screw did seem to back out a bit and the slop returned. So I used some Loc-Tite and tightened it back up and let it sit over night. Since then, no slob and she's holding strong. I've even went into a few curbs with it and I'm still good to go. Hope this helps.  Joe
Old 06-22-2009, 06:46 PM
SFC K

ORIGINAL: joeyhatch11

I asked that question and no one ever answered. I found that by turning that "screw" on the right side by the servo, that's loaded with the spring, she'll hold very well. Even after I made that adjustment, the screw did seem to back out a bit and the slop returned. So I used some Loc-Tite and tightened it back up and let it sit over night. Since then, no slob and she's holding strong. I've even went into a few curbs with it and I'm still good to go. Hope this helps. Joe
Thanks Joe! That is helpfull! I have mine tightened down all the way too but never checked to see if it backed out. I will lock tight the heck out of it to keep the slop from coming back. Thanks! Jeff
Old 06-23-2009, 08:53 PM
hpidriver94

GODZILLA IS HERE! http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/17538/

im definently buying it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31955.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1223505  
Old 06-23-2009, 09:04 PM
SFC K

ORIGINAL: hpidriver94

im definently buying it

LOL, That is one slick body for sure!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:55 AM
SFC K

Cooling issues no more! What I did was I mounted two Integy Super Motor Heatsink+ Cooling fans to the motor and one on top of the ESC to keep things cool. It's a tight fit in back on the motor but will work. I notched part of the heat sink so the belt would not hit the heatsink. It's a pain in the butt taking it apart to get it in but well worth the effort. For the ESC I just removed the two fan mounts from the motor heatsink and drilled two holes in the upper plate and attached the fan back on the to brackets so it stays in place. Seeing how I have three channel FASST radio I did not have to splice the fan wires.

While I had it apart I installed universals front and rear. I also swapped out the front and rear spools with an adjustable one in the rear and one-way in the front.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Willystylz

Now that's what I call innovation!! Let us know how the ball diffs hold up. I was always looking at those for mine, I just didn't know how many runs they'd last before they need to be rebuilt.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:14 PM
hpidriver94

ive had em since march havent had to change em yet
Old 06-28-2009, 03:37 PM
zxsonnyxz

I'm thinking about getting this car as my entrance to the world ofRC drifting (and maybe touring), bacause everyoneseems tobe very happy with it, and its affordable.
But after reading through this adn otherthreads i still can't decide witch version to get...

My impression of this car is that it works just great out of the box asRTR, but i see that many of you are uppgrading to BL, so its temting to
just buy the rolling version and a BL combo right away.Maybe aSidewinder or a cheaperEzRun combo?Also Ialready have radio equipment to use in the car..

Anyone that can try to help medecide? Any help would begood help
I'm kina lost...

Btw, my first post here, but i think theremay bemany more to come
Old 06-29-2009, 05:03 PM
aahwhatever2

If you have your own electronics, I would buy the ARR instead of an RTR. Also, you hit the head on the nail when you mentioned putting in a BL motor/ESC combo..... Less maintenance, faster speeds, higher RPM's and just a hole lotta fun!

As far as other upgrades, I wouldn't do anything except using a dremel to open up the back so you don't get rocks stuck in it. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing until you break something or actually "FIND" that a part would benefit by being upgraded. This little car rocks and is a great entry to the RC drifting world.

Also, welcome to the website and hope to see many more posts from ya!

Jonathan
Old 06-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Willystylz

I second going for the ARR version and i'd go for either a Sidewinder or Novak Havoc setup. I'm not too sure about the EZrun setup. I've heard a lot of good things about it......but too many not so good things...
Old 06-29-2009, 06:56 PM
zxsonnyxz

I appriciateyour welcome, whatever....

Itcost a bit more but hey,it would be a thrill !!
And all the electronics on the RTR would just be a waste since i think i would have converted to BL
sooner or later..
So if (when) i decide to get one of theese, i think i will go BL right away!
And the back plate mod is a must!!

Willystylz:
I will take a closer look at the Havoc setups, thank you!

And i have some questions:

In drifting, would you like a speed motor or ar tourqe motor?
I've seen both being recommended so i wonder what youthink.

And, now i forgot....
Oh yes, does anyone know how many amps the sidewinder combos pull, on 2S lipo? Can'tseem to findout...</p>
Old 06-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Willystylz

If you're just starting out in drifting it would probably be wise not to get too powerful a motor. I'd stick with a brushless motor in the 8.5 to 13.5t range. Most manufacturers rate their motors by the # of turns. In the CC Sidewinder's case it's rated by 'kv'. For drifting i'd imagine a 4600kv sidewinder system would work great. The 4600kv would be roughly comparable to a 8.5t brushless motor. For most brushless motors any 2S lipo rated at at least 20C would be sufficient.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:06 AM
zxsonnyxz

I might just go for the Sidewinder 4600kv,  I guess I will get long runtime with a 5000mah 2S 20C?
Any recommendations on pinion size? Chart says 17-23T on-road with 2S, but is it the same for drift?
I guess I have to try some different sizes and gain some knowledge..</p>
Old 07-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Willystylz

A 5000mah 2S lipo would probably give you a solid 20-30mins running a 4600kv.

With the stock 87t spur, you'd probably be looking at a pinion in the low 20t range. Whatever gearing you choose you'll have to get a temp sensor and monitor the temps......try not to go any higher than 70C or so (varies depending on motor and manufacturer's specs).

Keep in mind with a smaller pinion you will probably need a larger spur, either 93t or 96t. Otherwise the motor will be sitting too high and will be rubbing against the rear drive belt.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:36 PM
malice23

are the diffs the same in the sprint vs the flux? if theyre not will flux diffs fit on a sprint 2?
Old 07-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Willystylz

the diffs are identical.......they're both metal gear diffs. HPI makes ball diff upgrades if you feel the need to upgrade.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:22 PM
SFC K

I switched over to the hop up ones from HPI for the front and rear and love them in my FLUX. Added a little bling too! I also switched out the dog bones for universals too and the drive train seems way better then the stock set-up. Must have upgrades IMO.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:51 PM
We Are Ninja

ORIGINAL: hpidriver94

im definently buying it
I saw that on their site yesterday and my head almost exploded. It's even got headlight and taillight buckets... o.O

Old 07-09-2009, 08:03 AM
hpidriver94

im definently going to order one right away
Old 07-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Car-Tune

where can we order from?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:59 PM
jediguru

Do any of you guys know if it's possible to convert a sprint into an mt using rs4mt or mt2 arms, driveshafts, turnbuckles, shocktowers, etc? I've been looking for an rs4mt but they are hard to come by. So I'm thinking of converting something possibly. I'm sure it would take some modifying but I'm just curious if the geometry would work with that chassis and if the arms would work with the sprint bulkhead.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:54 PM
hpidriver94

off hpi usa when they come in stock

jediguru: im not sure if you could or not
Old 07-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Kirker

Ok gang I did it, I picked up a used Sprint 2 Sport on the bay! My plan, as it always was, is to convert it to a brushless setup. I plan on starting with a 20 tooth pinion and a 96 tooth spur gear. I will also be running NiHm(?) packs, at least, at first.

My question now is what size system. I've already decided that I'm gonna go Mamba Max, but which one? I know the stock setup in the Flux is a 5700 sport. However, CC claims in their ads that their Mamba's create about 50% more power than their own Sport's. So, I'm thinking a Mamba 4600 may create as much (or more) power than their own Sport 5700! And, it may be able to do it with even LESS heat! Heat is a big issue. It reaks avock on all electronics plus I live in S. FL. so it is very hot here most of the time. That's part of the reason for my gearing choices as well.

Lastly, I have decided to not worry that much about top end, instead, acceleration and handling is what I'm after the most. I'll just let top end work itself out because I'm sure it'll end up being decent no matter which way I go.

Soooo, what would ya'll run? Also, this car WON'T be for drifting and I seriously doubt I would be racing. But as they say, never say never.

Thanks in advance,
Old 07-21-2009, 09:43 AM
alexchen86

I just got the Flux last weekend and I am loving it! I am seeing if anyone has pictures on what they did to cut the back plate so rocks do not get lodged between the belt and they pulleys.

thanks,
Old 07-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Willystylz

alexchen86, there's some pics early on in this thread showing the dremel mod.

Kirker, if you're planning on running 3S lipo I'd go for the Mamba Max.......thus giving you approx 50% more power with the 4600kv. But then again, if you don't care much about top speed then a 4600kv on 3S would be way overkill. A simple Sidewinder setup with the 4600 or 5700kv will give you plenty of speed. For example the Sprint Flux does about 45-50mph out of the box on 6 cell nimh or 2S lipo. So I imagine a 4600kv would give you at least 35-40mph on a good quality 6 cell nimh. And believe me, that is plenty fast. Speed is nice, but going in straight lines I find boring after a while. Nice to be able to handle the car as well.

To help out in the handling dept, think of later on upgrading to ball diffs, smoother shocks and softer springs, and a softer compound hpi x-pattern or other radial tire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.