Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:03 PM
rikybob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

I found [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WGAHDp7Q_Y]this[/link] on "another fourm.

r/b
Old 02-11-2010, 05:07 PM
aircrash

ORIGINAL: sgbfly

Sods law strikes (again) lol
Hi Simon,

Well, I had that luck also.
A few days ago I ordered a BOL and I liked to get a few -about 4- outer shafts also, as well as a couple of other parts. But they were out of stock.
Now MM has back in stock all the BOL parts, only 3 days after I ordered the heli...

As why I was in a hurry to order the BOL is the euro balance, that seems to drop and keep droping this period of time. A year ago, on March, the euro was also low, way lower than today. It`s the economy games.
So I think I did well as even if I buy now (when the euro gains balance) the parts I want then I`ll have to pay only about 5euro max shipping cost.
That`s fine to me as I can gain much more on euro balance, more than the extra shipping cost I`ll pay for just some parts.
I mean if it is drops more then I can wait for the parts, and buy them when it gets higher again. But I wanted the BOL so I ordered it asap as the balance was still in good levels.

Spiros
Old 02-11-2010, 05:16 PM
sgbfly

Hi R/B,

Yes I have just watched it and this one www.youtube.com/watch. <- Not too impressed with that one if I'm honest. I thinks its worth waiting 6 months.

Hi Spiros,

Hard luck mate

See you all tomorrow!

Simon

Old 02-11-2010, 05:37 PM
aircrash

Hi R/B,

You know already my opinion, when I get a new heli then it will be definetely bigger than BOL.

But I found a nice heli that can be my next one.
It`s the Rudolf.

Goodnight Simon.

btw, here is more late than there, so I could say you get to sleep by the time chickens get to sleep. (Greek expression, sorry if it sounds uncomfortable, but R/B will like it I think) Please if it sounds funny tell me to edit it.
But then again R/B would accuse me that I can get no sleep -which is the refrain and the title of an Insomnia song.

Spiros
Old 02-11-2010, 05:50 PM
aircrash

Wait, I think I should better take one like that!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2s2Vm2UcTQ[/youtube]

They have just the right amount of craziness . The pilot says he`s from Crete, Greece. Where they are a bit crazy anyway...

(sorry for the off topic, I just found it very cool, it`s in the sea, so it can`t be anything else than cool anyway ).
Old 02-11-2010, 09:18 PM
rikybob

Flight log, star date 2010......

So I was marveling at my flying prowess once again, sated in knowing that I have spent many battery pack since my last "incident". I am slingin' the bird up and down the way when it becomes uncontrollable. Really uncrontrollable! [] I attempt to not pound it to the ground and end up unceremoniously skidding into the ground at about.....WARP 10![X(]

So's I walk over to the lil carcass and am amazed to find fairly little damage. The fuse is disloged from its mooring as per usual and is cracked a little around the swash where it was pushed into it at a high rate of speed.[:'(]

Our hero walks back into the house where his aged mother-in-law asks the same question that she asks each time I walk back in the house between packs, "Well, did you crash it"? This time I answer to the affirmative.[:@] I pull lower blades off, slide fuse "up" and trim/tape forward swash damage, re-glue starboard NAV light back in place, re-glue top skid rail (stays perpetually unglued, gonna heat a pin and insert to stay, soon) and reassemble bird. Upon re-installing blades to lower blade holder I notice an inordinate amount of "play". Right at 1/5th inch hmmmmmm..... a quick check of the set screws indicates that they had backed out. Me thinx me found the failure. I reseated same, with nail polish again (I bet the ole 3 in 1 oil is compromising same) and living room test the little trouble maker and Voila'![:@]

Outside test in the morning.

Night all!

Rikybob

ps. Buzz, you are hell on a blade tip!

pss Simon, its heading to me in the mail as of today.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Sky Soldier

Hey Captain Kirk..er..Rikybob,

Sorry to hear about you warp 10 'incident'. At least it wasn't perminently damaged.

I had a little trouble with that top skid rail too. Marine Goop worked well for me as it doesn't dry brittle, but retains a little flexibility.

How do you apply the nail polish without filling up the screwhead?

The wind will just not quit here. Fortunately, Its club meet day and I get to fly indoors today. The temps are moving back to the 70's F and things should be getting back to normal around here soon.

Happy Flying
Jerry
Old 02-12-2010, 06:28 PM
aircrash

Hi R/B,

I see you have your way to get it right. You know what it likes to be happy.
That means you have experience to it, as well as many flying hours there!

Now your mother in law must love so much the BOL.
No, she`s just jealous that in her youth they had only kid kites.

I hope you keep enjoying it.

Hi Jerry,

I apply one little drop at only one side of the screw`s threads. And a very little amount.
Only when it has a head or exposed threads then you can apply on the outside after fixing it.
Now this way you save the nail polish (as the bolts also).
So even one`s wife cannot tell if he used it. Will neither wonder if he started to make his nails...
Better use red color. So you can see where you have applied and if there`s an old layer, so it does not need any more.

Personally I use a medium strength threadlocker. It happens to have in place an IPSO Chemie Speed Bond M-2000 for my car or bike, which is quite similar to Loctite Blue threadlocker and/or to Permatex medium strength threadlocker. But better for the BOL is to use a low strength threadlocker.
Or else you will not be able to unscrew them. I hope I can.

PS. Here we have a holiday on this Monday, and it`s the habit to fly kid kites.
Rikybob`s mother in law would love to fly one, but Ithink if the wind is more with my luck for flying the BOL than to those with the kids kites then I`ll start making a new habit.
It`s either them or me!
This particular Monday we`ll fly BOL... lol

Spiros
Old 02-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Sky Soldier

Hey Spiros,

Thanks for your reply.

My only thought on using nail polish was on the head or visible thread /nut joints is so I could swab it off when removing the parts and not have to use heat to loosen the thread lock. I'm assuming I'll apply it with a needle. Curious how Rikybob applies it as he mentioned it recently.

My Loach (53Q3) has lots of locktite on the threads and even after applying heat I've stripped one phillips screwhead on the flybar holder. Short of drilling out, how would you attempt to remove it? My thought is a spot of JBWELD on an old allen wrench against the screwhead. Will take some very careful staging.

Bye the way, going to bed with the chickens is not a purely Greek expression. We Southern boys in the USA use it too.

Happy Flying
Jerry

p.s. What's your holiday Monday? Ours is President's Day.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Sky Soldier

collective:

How many flights are you getting out of your transmitter batteries?

I'm using Duracell alkaline and have about 30-35 flights so far.

Happy Flying
Jerry

p.s. also 2.4g system

Old 02-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Ddaddy

Hi Jerry,<div>
</div><div>I've got 1 green light left and have done about 20 fights on these duracells. However, I have been uses xmitter on sim too...</div><div>
</div><div>Ken</div>
Old 02-13-2010, 04:36 AM
aircrash

Hi Jerry,

Loctite has many threadlocker products. Some can`t get off by rubbing but only by heat. It`s more difficult to loose a bolt that has been treated with such a threadlocker.
My threadlocker does not require heat. The screw needs to be turned counterclockwise and clockwise (loosen / tighten) a bit so to get loose off the threadlocker. Maybe hit it also.
But I should better used low strength than medium. I hope I can loose them. I had used it before on the lower gear and it was enough easy to loose it. But I apply only a tiny amount and only to one side of the threads.
Here`s a good threadlocker selector guide.

Have a good time there.

PS. Today the weather here is marvelous! A sunny day, not too cold also.

We also say with the chickens. I just was not sure how you would get it if I said with and not by the time they get to sleep. So you also use this nice expression.

This Monday is our Clean Monday, where we get clean (mind and body), it`s also the end of the Carnivals and the start on fast. It`s 40 days on fast and 48 days before Easter`s Sunday (the resurrection).
The food on this Monday is very special ans specific but tastes too good.

Spiros
Old 02-13-2010, 07:38 AM
tritongr

Peter, Simon, Spiros

Thank you all for your invaluable assistance.

I didn't have the joy to fly my BL yet.
So now Instead of ordering a new 3-1 I am thinking of going directly to Simon's brushless, boardless solution.

I attach below my prepared shopping card from miracle-mart, plus the mixer from dionysus design.
Is that enough or I have to include anything else (like li-po battery or charger).
Gear pinion puller exists in m-m?

Please take into account that I have already here (included in my initial order of BL):
* Xtreme blades for BL
* Extended Inner Shaft +15mm for BL

Thanks

Manolis

PS: I have also small tools (screw drivers etc) from my previous mods in lama v4

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76137.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1377729  
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2010, 09:54 AM
aircrash

Hi Manolis,

Well, the prices are good. Even if you compare to this cheap combo.
But with all that money you can buy lots of brushed motors and 3in1 controllers.
It`s up to you what to choose. Normally going to boardless-brushless is something that has to do with your passion and not a solution to a faulty 3in1, at least as long there are spare parts.

So if you proceed then you may want some batteries.
I don`t know if you can mod it and place a 1000mah one, such as a EK1-0180 which has a nice price also. You can see its size and weight here.
Or even a 1200-1300mah.
Just remove the battery holders and make some of your own out of aluminium.
Peter has posted some pictures of this mod.
Else just buy some batteries there, as you`ll exhaust them very quickly. Simon has tested some batteries for a boardless-brushless BOL.

Miracle-Mart has a pinion remover.
But you`ll not need one. Just place pliers under the pinion (pliers thin part), take a nail (cut its edge straight) and a hammer.
You`re done. Pinion has been moved or removed completely.

And don`t forget to buy some more blades.
You`ll definitely need them. Try stock blades, cheap and good.

If you don`t have one voltage indicator then definetely buy one. It`s a must have, especially for a boardless-brushless BOL.

Now if you take some more batteries then you may better take one more (or even more) chargers + power supply.
You can also take a 12V 5A power supply and a splitter cable and power up to 4 esky chargers. This splitter cable is for low power devices but it should have adequate thickness of wires for the charger. Have not seen it though so buy at your own risk.

Spiros
Old 02-13-2010, 10:15 AM
sgbfly

Hi Manolis,

My advice to you would be to order:

Motor &amp; Esc's from this kit
This Gyro
These pinions
And the DD Mixer
These lipos

You will also need a short servo extension cable and switch.

There are less expensive esc - motor combo's on eBay if you are feeling brave!

Agree with Spiros

I am a bit busy at the moment - will be back later

Simon

Old 02-13-2010, 01:43 PM
aircrash

ORIGINAL: sgbfly

Motor &amp; Esc's from this kit

There are less expensive esc - motor combo's on eBay if you are feeling brave!
Hi Simon,

Actually this motor + esc combo is offered from a very good seller, uses only registered airmail (even if he does not mention it on every item, ask first to double check, all Ihave bought from him were registered ones). So he must be confident with this one.
It`s cheaper also -except of the Mystery kit that is the absolute cheapest one. It has also the EK5-0004 motors, that`s nice.

But depends on if Manolis has an ebay account, or if he likes ebay.
I do, although I prefer those who offer registered airmail -than ordinary. Until now only one package bought from ebay is not delivered, neither will be I believe, and it`s an ordinary airmail one.
And one item out from a non-regular seller that was said it was new, it was used and faulty eventually...

So, if he does not like ebay then MMhas good prices for that combination, as the esc is branded on the contrary of the other.
You pay also the brand name.
Anyway it`s a very small difference (about $10 including shipping) than the 370 combo but with a lot better motors.

Ithink the 370 combo is overpriced.
It`s a combo of cheap items and should be a lot cheaper.

PS. As for the gyro then he better buy from HKG or EU as shipping from USA takes a long way to GRC. And all the expensive items go through the customs and you pay taxes, no matter what if is sent as a gift...
That`s a low value item but he will have to wait too much. Shipping from MM takes about 5 to 6 working days for me.
It`s a pity as I have found many good bargains on USA shops (not just ebay) but even if it wouldn`t take so long to arrive then the shipping cost is too much and the customs will charge a tax, for sure.
I don`t know if this applies to your country also, but for GRC is a fact.

Spiros
Old 02-13-2010, 02:06 PM
sgbfly

Hi Spiros,

That's all fair enough. I had not considered customs etc. When I said brave I was referring to trying an new esc / motor combo in the boardless application (whatever they maybe). I posted in rush earlier

Simon
Old 02-13-2010, 02:35 PM
aircrash

Hi Simon,

Even if you were in a rush you are correct.
You must feel confident with an ebay seller. I understand and confirm.
So you placed one you had success. I placed one and confirmed I had success.

PS. as for the shipping cost, delivery time, customs, I wish that was not true for shipping to Greece. But I have to admit that for low value items there is not a problem, neither to customs or sometimes to the shipping cost.

Spiros
Old 02-13-2010, 03:14 PM
aircrash

ORIGINAL: tritongr

I attach below my prepared shopping card from miracle-mart, plus the mixer from dionysus design.
Is that enough or I have to include anything else (like li-po battery or charger).
Hi Manolis,

I may had calculated and compared the price of 2x motor + 2x esc from MMto the 370 kit, so I can compare to the same currency, but now as I see carefully you have added only one esc.
You need two of them.

Spiros

Old 02-13-2010, 06:13 PM
aircrash

Hi everybody,

Today I finished building the second BOL.
But something is wrong, probably me.
I have two months to fly but that bird seems a bit weird.

It has a blade strike for breakfast. I double checked everything, flybar, blade tracking, etc.

The good part is that taping the blades saves them. Amazing, they do not cut even at multiple huge blade strikes.
I used Tesa 64014 clear package tape this time, and it`s the first time I used this.

On the other hand I don`t know if taping with that tape and in the way I used it, may have made them to cone more than normal when swashplate changes angle than without being taped, so they hit more easily the upper blades.
If there`s a tension to make them bent to the top then at an angle change then they could bent more, or so I think.
I should test with plain blades.

Spiros

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43331.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1378104  
Old 02-13-2010, 07:45 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: aircrash
Hi everybody,
Today I finished building the second BOL.
But something is wrong, probably me.
I have two months to fly but that bird seems a bit weird.
It has a blade strike for breakfast. I double checked everything, flybar, blade tracking, etc.
The good part is that taping the blades saves them. Amazing, they do not cut even at multiple huge blade strikes.
I used Tesa 64014 clear package tape this time, and it`s the first time I used this.
On the other hand I don`t know if taping with that tape and in the way I used it, may have made them to cone more than normal when swashplate changes angle than without being taped, so they hit more easily the upper blades. [img][/img]
If there`s a tension to make them bent to the top then at an angle change then they could bent more, or so I think.
I should test with plain blades. [img][/img]
Hey again Spiros,

Parcel tape (whether clear or fiber-reinforced) the length of the blade - tip to root - underside first, then top. I have found that this spreads the pressures of a strike out the best

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
P.S. Are you running 2 x top links??
Old 02-13-2010, 07:57 PM
aircrash

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

P.S. Are you running 2 x top links??
Hi Peter,

Do you mean flybar rod links?
Just one. I don`t have a spare right now to use two.

Spiros
Old 02-13-2010, 08:01 PM
erdnuckel2

ORIGINAL: aircrash

PS. As for the gyro then he better buy from HKG or EU as shipping from USA takes a long way to GRC. And all the expensive items go through the customs and you pay taxes, no matter what if is sent as a gift...
That`s a low value item but he will have to wait too much. Shipping from MM takes about 5 to 6 working days for me.
It`s a pity as I have found many good bargains on USA shops (not just ebay) but even if it wouldn`t take so long to arrive then the shipping cost is too much and the customs will charge a tax, for sure.
I don`t know if this applies to your country also, but for GRC is a fact.

Spiros
Hi Spiros,

this is something I firmly believed in until I tried to ship things from the US to friends abroad the first time. All the people that always complain about the outrageous shipping cost are proof that nobody outside the US really knows the facts ...
I wanted to send something worth 30$ with the USPostal service to Canada ... (if you are still young and healthy you could walk it there ...) and went to the postoffice and asked what it would cost me registered and insured (which is what you get more or less standard when you ship UPS or FEDEX).I did this because the USpostal service has lately been everything but reliable as far as me sending stuff abroad is concerned. The price she quoted me was (for a 2.5oz package):
11.45$ for shipping it priority mail instead of first class (which is a letter that may take 4 weeks ...)
10.40$ for getting the package registered (which is only possible if you ship priority in the first place) ... and then ... and now hold your breath ... another
10$ for the insurance
(the package they lost was a christmas gift by the way)
so if you look at this, to send this 2.5oz (roughly 70g) package to canada the us postal service wanted to charge me more than 30$ in shipping ... TOCANADA!!! (not even to europe or japan or something)

I am just telling this because so many people here on the forums act as if it would be a purposely mean seller trying to overcharge people on shipping ... I hope this can serve as an example that things may sometimes be a lot different than they seem ....

regards,
Sven

Old 02-13-2010, 08:32 PM
aircrash

Hi Sven,

I know.
I don`t blame the shops or the sellers. It`s how things work. I have already seen the USPS site and a long time ago I had also seen (and paid for) FedEx (ouch).
The same may -and most probably will- apply to send something from my country to US.
Those HKG sellers do have a low shipping cost, not only due to their post office, but one seller can ship over 2000 parcels a month internationally. So they can also get a discount in addition (see HKGpost office). Something difficult for a US shop to have (such high international traffic), or a EU shop to have.
More enough there`s a strict customs examination of all parcels coming from the USA. Something that is also true for the opposite (EUto USA).
So there`s a delay and taxes. As the same stands true for the opposite (I believe more strictly though).

I just said that to Manolis who is interested in some parts, and notice that this apply to my country -at least. So he can know, if he doesn`t already.
But for just a gyro, at that price, there will be no problem. And the shipping cost that this seller charges it`s not much (considering the total price that he has to pay).
Neither for the mixer I also bought. Except of the delay.

Spiros
Old 02-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Ddaddy

Cold here in Texas with record snow fall  yesterday. Went through a couple battery packs today....the gyro sure doesn't seem to like the cold (even tho I let it set outside 30 minutes first). And neither do my fingers!...It's a...pain-in-the-backside to change batteries with those connectors...especislly in the cold.<div>
</div><div>Has anyone modded this effectively without changing connectors?</div><div>
</div><div>Ken</div>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.