Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Evan T.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

thats weird idk
Old 11-19-2008, 09:50 PM
JPEE

Hello Evan,

ALERT! I would not advise you to put scotch tape on your motor as it gets 100 plus degrees when flying. I am affaid that the tape might get gummy and come off from the heat melting the glue but first get caught somewhere that you dont want it to be like your throttle linkage. I would advise you to cut it all off, the tape and sticker too as you dont need them for any reason. I too had one come off but only after I crashed and the battery grabbed and it peeled it off.

Good Flying JPee
Old 11-19-2008, 10:09 PM
J-MICHAEL

Heli ~

Yeah LOL... Those Nimh packs do get expensive huh ?! The ones I used to run which are rotting at home as we speak are the Trintiy 4200 mah race packs (Nimh) and there cells are zapped and matched, and they ran about $80.00 each... So I feel your pain... The one thing you'll learn about the Nimh's is that unlike Nicd batts, the Nimh's will not develop a "memory" like the Nicd's do... So discharging them everytime before a charge really isn't necessary except for the first few charges of the batts life however. Nicd's are much more harmful to the environment, where the Nimh's are much more friendlier, but the thing with the Nimh's is that after you put a full charge on it, it slowly loses and loses and loses its charge as it sits until you use it. The longer it sits, the more the charge is gone and going. This is why most good Nimh chargers have a "trickle" function to help keep the packs fresh and hot, until your ready to lay some rubber... The nice thing about the Nicd's, is they didn't lose there charge as much if at all while sitting, but there not as tolerate with heat and the abuse which Nimh's do better in that dept...

It used to drive me nuts having a bunch of those Nimh's and seeing them drain before I even had a chance to run them all... I only had one charger at the time, and charging those 4200's took time ! The Nicd's will develop memory in time, and is recommended as you'll learn that you should discharge and charge them to keep there capacity healthy. The Nimh's as you'll learn also, don't need to be discharged all the time as you can charge them right from where you left off from using it in the car. They don't retain the memory... But I still made it a habit to still discharge and charge them every once in awhile... Just something I felt was still maybe beneficial, and the Nicd's kind of burned that habit in my brain anyway....LOL...

Cheers,

~ Jeff
Old 11-19-2008, 10:18 PM
JPEE

Hey Guys,

Did three packs today, this morning at 6:55 am. better said on the 400#1. Sometime ago I bought a battery LED volt meter you plug into the battery balance tail and it reads the voltage of each cell. I have been flying with the stock eflite settings in my DX6i and flying for 5 minutes now. EVAN ! I was flying this week and tried to squeeze 6 minutes out of a battery and twice lost power either just before the 6 minutes time or at "about" 5 min 30 sec and she came in controlled but very hard to handle. So today I flew 3 packs at 5 minutes and I just tested all three batteries and they are at 3.8 to 3.81-9 per cell. So I think 5 minutes of flight is the magic number here. I am flying all Eflite 1800 batteries.
For fun yesterday I had tried a 2200 mAh battery and it too came down in a controlled landing at 6 min 30 sec YIKES!

For your pleasure you night want to check out this HUGE plane a B52 this guy built and if your old enough to remember, it has an X1 under the wing too which was the predicessor to the X15.
http://users.skynet.be/fa926657/files/B29.wmv

JPee
Old 11-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Evan T.

ive been feeling my motor and it only gets warm not hot so idk
Old 11-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Evan T.

JPEE,

I have been flying for 5:30 because i lowered the headspeed so it isnt taking as much power but i started flying for 5:10 just to be safe
Old 11-20-2008, 08:31 AM
HeliStyle
My Feedback: (2)

jpee, could I just run the battery packs till they are dead out of the box, they fully charge them from there, or will that destroy the battery?
Old 11-20-2008, 04:28 PM
evdreamer

I got the Gaui put back together. The blades must be warped or something since I had to adjust the linkage, so they are now not the same length. But I after adjusting the linkage I got them to track. And the plastic blades were only .1g off.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:35 PM
JPEE

Hi,

Well once again I got in three packs at the Fly Park late this morning. DON'T like flying at 11:00 am. in the hot Calif sun, poor baby! I know, I know, your all grounded due to snow, wind and such but to much of anything can be overwhelming. There was wind this time at the Fly Park and had I not been flying in stock settings I would have not been able to keep up and control the heli. Of course at high RPM got the batts very warm and yet the motor and ESC barely got off outside temp hummmmm.

I finally got a new 400 tail rotor shaft today for 400 #2 at my LHS beyond my BO ordered ones from Rocket Hobby that still have not come. Eflite made a change, they have upgraded the tail shaft pully to a metal gear for the belt to ride on. My opinion........while this is nice you often bend them on a mild crash so I see no benifit to them accept Horizon is making more $$

This picture will blow up to Large

JPee [/size]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43281.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1075812  
Old 11-20-2008, 06:00 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

That sounds cool on the Gaui, glad to hear you got it ready for the next indoor fly session.

Yeah, those blades don't seem like the most accurate, and seems like if they were stored somewhere while they were bent or stressed, they might hold that in the plastic. But at least they were very close in balance. I never bothered to balance my Gaui blades, so I can't tell you if that is better or worse than normal. But it seems pretty close at .1 gram.

As long as you got them to track well, I'm sure you'll be fine.

JPEE,

Glad you got to fly today, and all was staying cool, except the batteries. I was not aware until Nick mentioned it and I also read it on the HF forums about how much power loss there will be when I go to fly in like 35-40 degree temps.

Nick, do you think it's a matter of less power, or less flight time, or both? I don't want to kill a battery because of the cold weather...

JPEE, that shaft, seeing as it has an "A" after the part number, ("A" for aluminum?) would make me think that it is an upgrade shaft, rather than the regular plastic geared replacement part...and I got two in my bag. My shafts came in a normal looking Eflite bag, that packaging looks like when you get an upgrade part from Eflite...

Glenn
Old 11-20-2008, 08:02 PM
JPEE

ORIGINAL: rotarydoc

Nick,

That sounds cool on the Gaui, glad to hear you got it ready for the next indoor fly session.

Yeah, those blades don't seem like the most accurate, and seems like if they were stored somewhere while they were bent or stressed, they might hold that in the plastic. But at least they were very close in balance. I never bothered to balance my Gaui blades, so I can't tell you if that is better or worse than normal. But it seems pretty close at .1 gram.

As long as you got them to track well, I'm sure you'll be fine.

JPEE,

Glad you got to fly today, and all was staying cool, except the batteries. I was not aware until Nick mentioned it and I also read it on the HF forums about how much power loss there will be when I go to fly in like 35-40 degree temps.

Nick, do you think it's a matter of less power, or less flight time, or both? I don't want to kill a battery because of the cold weather...

JPEE, that shaft, seeing as it has an "A" after the part number, ("A" for aluminum?) would make me think that it is an upgrade shaft, rather than the regular plastic geared replacement part...and I got two in my bag. My shafts came in a normal looking Eflite bag, that packaging looks like when you get an upgrade part from Eflite...

Glenn
Glenn, your dead on. I too saw the "A" and noted the sqew number. It came with all of their new BLUE EVERYTHING Eflite has come out with for the 400. But when I asked him, he said they have just done an upgrade. I personnally doubt the 2 baggers are gone. I'll see when my Red Rocket oder comes in someday LOL. I was just trying to finish 402 this afternoon and noticed the head is lacking enough shims for the f-shaft so I need to get some.

JPEE
Old 11-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Evan T.

Yeah Glenn is right about that being and upgrade part I saw it in the hopup section and the package is what the upgrade parts come in.

Well any ways I flew to packs today and the first one was better and the second one was like 10 min ago so it was dark so I didn't like that it's hard to fly at night and have fun if you know what I mean because all you can do is hover
Old 11-20-2008, 08:43 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Evan,

That is cool that you got to fly today. By the time I'll be able to fly, I'll probably have forgotten how!

Looking at the weather, about my only chance will be Sunday, because Saturday is supposed to be very windy, and cold. I can handle the cold, but I really don't want to fly the new heli in alot of wind. I would like to be able to see how it hovers and set the trims for the first time...

Looks like more sim time this weekend.

I still have not test flown my main B400 since the rebuild, either. It should be good, everything looks and feels right, but you never know after a big crash if everything is going to be OK when you go to do the first test flight.

I know what you mean about flying when it gets dark, I have almost had some crashes because it was too dark to really see what was going on.

That, and the trees make for a bad backdrop to a heli with a black tailboom and blades, like my CPP has...it was very hard to fly in low light against the trees, couldn't see anything but the canopy! At least the B400 has white tail blades, and yellow fins, which helps alot.

JPEE,

That is one thing I do have on hand, are those shims. I bought a pack of them one day at the LHS that closed down, have never really needed them, but I do have some just in case.

Good that you found out that the shaft was an upgrade.

Glenn
Old 11-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Evan T.

JPee,

I guess my post came in after your last one oh well

Glenn,

yeah im glad i atleast had wat you said and the light on the gyro. its gonna be hard to see the blades when i go cf one day once i stop breaking blades even though i havent yet and have had 13 flights well i dont know if im gonna take off the training gear yet or if im gonna wait until i raise up the head speed and stuff. do you think i should raise the headspeed no that i can hover really well or wait till i start flying around a little. What did you do?
Old 11-20-2008, 09:11 PM
rotarydoc

Evan,

That is great that you have 13 flights with no mishaps yet (but some close calls, sounds like!)...

It's really up to you when you feel comfortable with taking the training gear off, but I don't see any rush for you to take them off, unless they really bug you.

I flew with the training gear and the lower headspeed until I felt comfortable taking the training gear off. It wasn't until quite a while later that I bumped up the headspeed.

The thing is with the lower head speed, it's actually not quite as stable, and it's harder to recover from a low altitude situation, which can happen from wind, or if you get yourself into trouble. But, at the same time, the heli is much slower to react to cyclic inputs, making it fairly "lazy" flying, which is easier for most beginners at first.

Plus, don't forget....higher head speed = shorter safe flight times...

If I were you, I'd try some flying around with the headspeed the way it is, and just slowly ramp it up a little at at time....then take the training gear off when it bugs you to have it on.

Since you are only using the CPP/CX2 size training gear, they are not adding much stability, nor are they causing much load on the heli, which would reduce flight times...so, what the heck, might as well leave them on for the time being...can't hurt.

When you bring the headspeed up to the stock setting, it will become much more responsive, and SEEM harder to fly...but it will actually have more stability with the additional gyroscopic effect...it's just going to feel kinda "twitchy", rather than "lazy" like with the lower head speeds.

Hope this helps...

Glenn
Old 11-20-2008, 09:56 PM
Evan T.

yeah i know im just anxious to experience it with the stock settings
Old 11-20-2008, 10:00 PM
rotarydoc

Evan,

Then maybe you should try it, at least for like 4 minutes or something...just to see what it's like.

I am sure you could handle it...it's more intimidating than anything, it's still totally controllable....

But, if you aren't up to it, it would be best to wait....

It would at least satisfy your curiosity...and who knows, you may love it like that!

Glenn
Old 11-20-2008, 10:04 PM
rotarydoc

I wonder if Carl got his T-Rex 500 today....havn't heard from him....LOL!!

That will do it every time...

Glenn
Old 11-20-2008, 10:21 PM
HeliStyle

well i figured the nimh batteries out, come to find out they were dead in the new package and weren't charged at all, so im giving them a full charge now. In other news I still haven't got my spare parts for my walkera 4#3b yet, I haven't flown in over a week and im anxious to fly, I hate down time. Glenn I also recieved all my stuff for enrollment today for school, pretty excited to get going on that. Its suppose to be really cold in ct this weekend even a chance of alittle snow
Old 11-20-2008, 10:40 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Heli,

Glad you figured the batteries out, I wasn't sure, so I didn't want to tell you the wrong thing...

I hate down time too...I have no fewer than 4 helis I could fly outside, not even counting the Quark, and I can't get a break on the weather.....same here for the weekend, cold and windy for Saturday at least....so maybe I'll get a chance to fly on Sunday.

Very good on your school enrollment stuff...keep me up to date on how that is going for you...

Hope you get the Walkera parts in soon, so at least you will have something to fly...a week without flying is a long time!

Still putting in long hours at the hobby shop?

Hope everything else is good.

Glenn
Old 11-20-2008, 10:46 PM
HeliStyle

o yeah all last night untill 1am in the morning then I had to go to home depot from 5am-3pm then I worked at the hobbyshop from 3:30pm-7:30pm lol tons of hours

guys you need to check this thread out if you havent seen it yet

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871709]Custom mini helicopter[/link]

check out this helicopter this guy constructed from scratch, watch the videos of how good it flies, amazing all I can say
Old 11-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Evan T.

yeah i should prob go with my instincts though and just wait just to be safe you know yeah carl is probably building his rex right now i no i would
Old 11-20-2008, 11:08 PM
rotarydoc

Heli,

Yeah, that is amazing! That guy is a great builder....wonder where he got some of that stuff to build it?

Very cool indeed!

Evan,

Yeah, I think you would do well to take your time...just go at your own pace, and do what you think you can handle without getting into trouble and crashing...

Carl is probably building away...LOL

Glenn
Old 11-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Evan T.

heli,
that heli is awesome i want to fly it now lol
Old 11-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Evan T.

yeah well im prob going to my grandma and grandpas house for thanksgiving and they live a golf coarse so if i go i will bring the 400 and fly it there which will be awesome yaaayyyyy lol or i might go to my uncle teds house on my dads side of the family and he has a pretty big back yard so i could fly there but i really want to go to my grandmas house but then i would feel bad by not going with my dad since i dont live with him

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.