Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 07:23 AM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Hi Dave,

Mall show went great and everyone was impressed. As part of the show I was requested to make some noise with the engine out in the parking lot and I ended up running my turbine 3 times for about 3 minutes each. Man does that little bugger of an engine push hard at full throttle!!!

Anyways it looks like I'll be going up on the weekend of the 12th and 13th weather permitting. Working with Justin Tidwell from Bowling Green KY and a CD to have the necessary folks on site to get my waiver. Airplane is ready and the leaky AirPower proportional brake valve has been replaced with a much improved Ultra Precision UP6 Valve. Kudo's to Todd from Dreamworks R/C for getting the replacement valve out so quick. I got that changed last night and the brakes work great. Still have to get my CG set and anticipate about 8 ounces of lead will need to be added to the nose. Even with the additional receiver battery for the battery backer in place I still needed to add some nose weight. I'm thinking about going with a 3000 MaH ECU battery rather then the 1900 MaH that came with the turbine. I like to use purposeful weight additions when ever possible rather then dead useless weight. So all systems are pretty much a go and I'm looking forward to getting this bird up.

Between my Super Flying King and the Reaction 54 I ran out of room to carry my birds to the local flying field. So I ended up buying a used truck to haul everything in. Now that's dedication to the hobby!!! Spending an additional $5000 just to haul your dang airplanes to and from the field
Old 03-02-2005, 12:29 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim,
Sounds like you had a great time! Keep us posted on your progress towards that first flight! Can you tell us what the "dry" weight worked out to? Weather forecast sucks for the next few weeks up North.

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-02-2005, 01:00 PM
tschuy

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Tim,
Sounds like you had a great time! Keep us posted on your progress towards that first flight! Can you tell us what the "dry" weight worked out to? Weather forecast sucks for the next few weeks up North.

Dave Rigotti

Will do Dave...

Also will post my weight after she's been balanced.

Cheers,

Old 03-03-2005, 05:41 AM
rcguy!

A quick question for Bruce and all,

Do you have any "ferrite beads" on your servo extensions? I've just run them "naked". Comments Please?

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-03-2005, 06:30 AM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave

I have never used them and, to my knowledge , have never suffered a radio failure for that reason. Wren fit a ferrite ring on the throttle lead from the ECU to the Rx.

John
Old 03-03-2005, 07:32 AM
tschuy

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

A quick question for Bruce and all,

Do you have any "ferrite beads" on your servo extensions? I've just run them "naked". Comments Please?

Dave Rigotti
Hi Dave,

In my setup I was carefull to keep all the servo leads on one side of the airframe and all the electronics for the turbine on the other side. Only exception was the servo lead to the ECU for my throttle control. Figured that if I could see some noise coming from the ECU then all I would need to do is use a feritte bead on the throttle lead. But thus far after three engine runs the servo's and radio didn't show any problems while the engine was running. Carefull planning with the placement of your electronics is always a good thing and I followed Bruce's instructions for mounting the ECU on the shelf. From what I've read on the whip antenna's, it looks that I went the right direction with that too. Further testing out in the field will prove that. Still looking to get my bird up in the air on the 12th and 13th. Will have camera and video present for the maiden.

Does anyone have a suggestion for logbooks on these things? Would be nice if someone had some sort of electronic version which could be used like on a Palm or Windows CE type device. I have both and it would greatly simplify keeping records which the AMA likes to see...

Cheers,
Old 03-03-2005, 01:04 PM
rcguy!

Tim,
My install is very similar to Bruce's with the wire channel down the middle. The ECU wiring for the soleniods and pump are keep separate from this "bundle". In fact most of the wiring goes thru a hole in F5 out to the pump, kero valve, and turbine itself.
COLD winter has set in and the next few weekends look dismal for flying. Best guess at 35 degrees as a high temp with lows around the low 20's. Maple syrup season in Ohio's most productive county where I live is 2 weeks behind schedule for tapping the trees. Wouldn't ya know it..we'll have a long winter and late spring! Looking like you'll be the first to fly a production kit built R54! Bruce and I are figuring out my weak brake issue. I'm confident we'll get it solved soon. I'm pretty sure its something I'm doing wrong. Really don't want to go with air brakes at this stage in the game. Bruce has been super with his support on this. The R54 has been ready for a month now, save the brake thing. !5 minutes total time on the P60. I have a blast tube just like you made up. No more melted Monokote for me! I've got a 10# CO2 and a 2 1/2 gal H2O fire extingusihers so I'm AMA legal too!

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-03-2005, 03:16 PM
tschuy

Sounds great Dave,

Got all the stuff to keep me legal too...

Sorry to hear about your weather delays and the brake problems. I was testing my brake system last night and was able to get over 15 full applications of my brakes on a bottle charge of 95 PSI. They grip pretty good and will be more then adequate to hold my jet. Should be able to spool up to half throttle before they will let the wheels roll. That's good enough for me....

Cheers,
Old 03-05-2005, 04:56 PM
rcguy!

Well gang,
The new brake assembly works MUCH better than the first one. I'm getting about 5 times more "grab" I'm confident that it will slow her down and allow a complete stop "on command" as AMA requires. Can't figure out what I did wrong on the first install. Anyway we are all set and ready to fly. 11oz added to the nose with the dry weight close to 18 pounds 8 oz. Witht the 14 pounds thrust vs the original 12 pounds Bruce was using in the video I'm not at all worried about performance. In fact, the tad bit more wing loading may help with landings! First flight looks to be several weeks away as the weekend long range weather forecasts well..... suck!

Tim you're gonna be the first! Good luck and happy landings my friend!

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-05-2005, 06:38 PM
tschuy

Well Dave,

Glad that your brake issue has been resolved. It's to bad about the weather.

If everything works out OK I'll get my bird up Saturday.

Will be posting pictures of my brake system momentarily..
Old 03-05-2005, 09:06 PM
tschuy

Okay Guy's,

Finally got a break from work to get some pictures of my CompactUniBrake system with the Ultra Precision UP-6 brake valve. The system required the addition of another air-tank and plumbing. A single line is ran back to the wing where it tee's off to both brakes. I went with the small Robart air-tank and able to get 20+ full brake applications before the air pressure will drop below 40 PSI. I used the standard 3" Robart wheels and it required some careful drilling of two holes to mount the brake drum. A drill-press worked great for that task. The disk is fasten via two set screws that have been tapped in the same groove that the rubber o-ring is installed and locks itself in place on the 3/16" strut . I used some Loctite to keep those in place and then greased the rubber o-ring pretty liberally to help seal off the rubber o-ring. Basically followed the instructions that came with the brake set. With the brakes at rest there is a little drag on the wheels due to the rubber o-ring rubbing on the drum. I'm sure after a few flights that this will probably wear away but really it's not going to be a problem. When pressure is applied the brakes there's good deal of holding pressure and I'm sure will help with my landings at our short 300' asphalt strip. It'll be cool to be able to lock the brakes until half throttle and then release for takeoff.

Here's a few pictures that show my installation:

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27690.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	238594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59671.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	238595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56775.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	238596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi17061.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	238597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xj62905.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	238598  
Old 03-05-2005, 09:08 PM
tschuy

Here's a few more pictures of my installation:

She sure looks fast just sittin there

Cheers,

Name:	Mk26783.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	238599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19505.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	238600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85842.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	238601  
Old 03-06-2005, 07:43 AM
rcguy!

Nice Pictures Tim! You're craftmanship is suberb!

I have a corrected weight.....18 pounds 4oz ready to fly with a full UAT and several oz's in the main tank. Balance point right in the middle of the range. Required 10oz of lead in the nose. The predrilled 1" diameter cavity in the noseblock sure helped! Some of this is do to the extra stainless sheeting I used and the aborted removeable tail. I'm sure by following the plans exactly and duplicating the turbine and my equipement that the weight would lower by about 8oz's. Just two oz's extra in the tail requires 4 or more in the nose. Thats a 6oz difference right there.

Making arrangements for a visit to North Carolina soon! (How's the weather this time of year in Kentucky?)

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-06-2005, 09:38 AM
tschuy

Thanks for the kind words Dave,

Still have some detail work that I'd like to do and I still need to get her airborne!!!

Hopefully this coming weekend will let me...

Cheers,
Old 03-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Tim,
Nice work. Looks like we are both T-500 owners and have wooden jets. I'm building a Baby Boomerang. We'll have to get together and do some flying. I drive by your town almost every week getting to the Army Depot in Richmond. I've also flown right over town almost every week in a little Army helicopter. I apologize if the noise woke the kids up.

Good luck on the flying. Test flight for me is scheduled for May.

Chris
Old 03-14-2005, 10:23 PM
rcguy!

Where is everybody? Anyone making progress on their R54? Pictures please! I'm all set ready to fly. Waiting on the weather! MAYBE on Sunday the 20th!

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-15-2005, 06:36 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Had to travel for the company and had a heath scare right after I got back. Going to see the DOC today to get the results and set up the stress test. Like Life isn't enough stress already. Felling ok now; but I tell all of you when you get chest pain go to the hospital. I did and it wasn't Big one but could have been from the symptoms, still don't know what it is though. Must have been withdrawl from not flying my planes. LOL
Old 03-15-2005, 06:40 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: Ron Stahl

Had to travel for the company and had a heath scare right after I got back. Going to see the DOC today to get the results and set up the stress test. Like Life isn't enough stress already. Felling ok now; but I tell all of you when you get chest pain go to the hospital. I did and it wasn't Big one but could have been from the symptoms, still don't know what it is though. Must have been withdrawl from not flying my planes. LOL
Ron,
Wishing you well! GOOD flying weather is just around the corner! Speedy recovery.

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-15-2005, 08:53 AM
Gary Szetlak
My Feedback: (13)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This one is done. Just need to install FOD screen and range test.

Gary

Name:	Qo41314.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	244270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31919.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	244271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19124.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	244272  
Old 03-15-2005, 09:01 AM
tschuy

Very nice work Gary.

I like your covering job too.

Cheers,
Old 03-15-2005, 09:59 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: Gary Szetlak

This one is done. Just need to install FOD screen and range test.

Gary
Gary,
Nice job! Do you plan on flying it soon? You KNOW why I ask!

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-15-2005, 10:20 AM
tschuy

Plan is to take mine up Sunday if the weather works out as forecast.

Cheers,
Old 03-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Gary Szetlak
My Feedback: (13)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It'll be a couple weeks. We are out of town this weekend and beside that the field is going to be sloppy. I'm looking forward to it as well, these should be nice flying planes.
Gary
Old 03-15-2005, 11:58 AM
rcguy!

Gary,
Being a "zero time" turbine pilot I need to buddy box until I get my waiver is the reason I ask. Just keep me in mind when you go out. Maybe the fellas that fly at Ashtabula County will call too. Thanks!

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-20-2005, 09:50 PM
tschuy

Well guy's....

I've officially joined the ranks of those who brave the great skies with the sweet sound and smell of turbine powered airplanes. I got my R54 up into the air today and she flew great!!!. It was like she was on rails and begging to have me let loose of the rains so that it fly at the speed equivalent to it's turbine temperature.Only trim needed was to take out the 3 clicks of elevator that I dialed in before the maiden. WD40 did the honors of taking her up for the maiden and the comment after she landed was that he needed to get his built because it flies like a dream. After the maiden it was buddy box time and I qualified for my waiver and will be sending in the paperwork tomorrow.

Weather was perfect. Clear skies and a very light cross wind.

Preflight and engine start went off like clock work. First run was just a taxi test to see how the engine and airframe behaved on the runway. We found the nose steering a little sensitive so the turbine was shut down and I adjusted the expo for the steering. Brake system was tested too and found to perform very well. Highly recommend the CompactUniBrakes for this bird with a UP-6 brake valve. They fit this jet perfectly.

After a top off of the fuel and a quick through flight inspection of the airframe it was time to take her up. Take off was very smooth and the acceleration was brisk. Pull the stick back slightly and she rotated and lifted off nice and smooth without surprises. Suck the gear up and at full throttle she'll accelerate "very" quickly if you are not careful. Pull the power back to slightly below half and its doing a good 90 MPH.

A few circuits around the pattern to feel her out and found the controls very crisp and precise. Only trim changes needed were to take out the three clicks of up elevator which I dialed in. Ailerons and rudder need no corrections. Tested the pitch change when going from slow flight idle to full power and no tendency to pitch up.

Dirty the airplane up and check the control response and I found to have very good control to the point where one would swear it would fall out of the sky. When doing so, one will sometimes find that if not carefully maintained, the aircraft will tend to fall off to one side or the other. An example of this would be to make a 30 degree bank angle turn. I've noticed wime some airframes that I would have to hold top aileron to keep the angle from increasing. Not so on this airplane. put her into a turn at slow speed and she'll maintain. Just a tad bit of back pressure to keep the nose from dropping is all that is needed

FTE T-500 has plenty of power to move this Jet. I flew with less then half throttle for most of my flight and it was pretty darn fast. Put in full power and it's a rocket ship. Take off took less then 150 feet and when she lifted, it was climbing like a home sick angel. I can easily pull her up to a 45 degree angle with full power and she accelerated as she climbs. Throttle back and the response was much like a high performance pattern airplane but a whole lot faster.

As Bruce has pointed out the landings are pretty flat and have a tendency to float. Flaps do help a great deal in slowing this bird down. I could easily hit the numbers since the airplane responds nicely to control inputs at the slow flight speed.

My thanks goes to all today for making yet another dream of mine come true.

To Mike - I really appreciate your guidance and instruction. Glad that you enjoyed the flight today and hopefully it will spur the desire for you to get your R54 completed.

To Justin - It was a pleasure to meet you in person finally and appreciate your help today and working the logistics to help me get my waiver.

To Vaughan - Thank you for being my safety and my calm. Appreciate you help in keeping me focused on what is important.

To the guys at FTE - Thanks for making a great engine. The FTE T-500 is a great turbine and it has performed flawlessly for me

Last and certainly not the least - Thank you Bruce Tharpe for designing yet another great airplane and great kit. The wait was long and I know there had been some development problems but after what I have experienced today it was truly worth it. The Reaction 54 is truly your best and it's been a great pleasure to build and it flies even better. The airframe is solid and the flight performance is phenominal.

Now I have some paperwork to complete and get sent to the AMA.

To all those who are still building their kits, guys you're going to love how this thing flies!!! Get-Er-Done!!!

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.