Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

The Official Tamiya TA05 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 AM
rcluke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Tamiya TA05 Thread

ORIGINAL: Mad Fox

heres the pics of the New mondeo shell as driven by Alan Menu in the WTCC...
thats a nice as hell shell mate
Old 05-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Calin666

I do intend on racing it eventually. It actaully is the only RC CAR I have bought with the sole purpose of racing t.
I am not sure what motor and ESC I am going to put in it yet, I need to check the available classes at my local track, and then make a descision based on that.
The only thing for sure is that the radio gear will be my DX3R.
You mentioned "blue belts". I have seen these before, but don't know anything about them. What are the advantages?
I'm a nitro guy getting into electric, so I still have some stuff to learn, especially about on-road cars.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:52 PM
rcluke

ORIGINAL: Calin666

I do intend on racing it eventually. It actaully is the only RC CAR I have bought with the sole purpose of racing t.
I am not sure what motor and ESC I am going to put in it yet, I need to check the available classes at my local track, and then make a descision based on that.
The only thing for sure is that the radio gear will be my DX3R.
You mentioned "blue belts". I have seen these before, but don't know anything about them. What are the advantages?
I'm a nitro guy getting into electric, so I still have some stuff to learn, especially about on-road cars.
blue belts are stronger, and do not stretch or snap as easily as the standard ones

what other radio gear is going in it?

have you got some decent batteries?
Old 05-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Calin666

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know where I might be able to find a Mitsubishi 3000GT body for TA05?
Old 05-07-2008, 01:45 PM
rcluke

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know where I might be able to find a Mitsubishi 3000GT body for TA05?
short answer ... i haven't got a clue
Old 05-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Mad Fox

Best thing to do is google it, I usually do that if there is a shell I'm after and go through the results, don't forget that its the 190mm shell your after, also if you do want to race with a different shell it is worth checking where you need to drill the holes for the body posts as like I found with the Mondeo shell, the rear post mounting hole guides were nowhere near where my post holes needed to be, same goes for the guide for the reciever antenna.

if you want to upgrade, try the car out first as standard, learn how it handles ect and how to drive it, then start with the pinion gear, try using a 24 tooth, then a 25, (which I'm using at the moment) then go for another say 27-28 tooth, cheaper than buying motors that may prove to fast for your driving skills and cause you to spend money of parts and repairs.

Batteries, I'm using VP Extreame Power 7.2V 4600mAh Racing Batteries, plenty of power for races and doesn't die.

hope that helps.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Mad Fox

just as a point of interest in regards shells, these have some good ones...

http://www.podiumrc.co.uk/partmakesearch-PRM.php
Old 05-08-2008, 06:14 AM
Calin666

Thanks for the info guys!
Got a quick question. I think I screwed up some where on the build.
I finally got it finished last night (more or less that is, I still have the body to paint), and when I ran it on the kitchen floor a little, there was a clicking noise from the front when I turn sometimesn almost like something was binding up, and it didn't seem to want to turn all that well. It would turn, but not completly, then "click" and the wheels would finish the turn.
The servo is a brand new Hitec HS625MG. I hve manually turned the wheels right to left, left to riht and there is no problem. It only does it when The car is on, and the servo is doing the turn. I am not entirely sure what the problem is.
Other than that, everything is great.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:28 AM
littleleon

I know on the TA05R you need to cut away some of the chassis to allow for the servo to travel fully. Is it the same with yours?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Calin666

I didn't see that anywhere in the instructions, and the servo does travel perfect (I actually had to reduce the travel on the transmitter, there was so much travel initialy, that it putting stress on the servo, and flexing the chassis). I did have to trim the bottom right tab on the servo, per the instructions for the servo to fit.
SInce the problem only happens when the car is driveing, I am wonderindering if it has something to do with thesteering knuckles, dog-bones, or the diff out drives?
Old 05-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Mad Fox

I know the exact problem, as I did the same thing when I built my car, if you look in your building instructions page10, build section 17, part K7, what you have done is put this part in the wrong way around, turn it the right way round and the problem will be solved, it is a matter of mere millimeters but it does make the difference and will halt the jamming and clicking noise.
unfortunatley Tamiya are not very clear in this part of their instruction drawings as to which way is the proper way up.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Calin666

Right on Fox!
I will give it a shot when I get home today, hopefully it will work.
Now if it will only stop raining and snowing, I might be able to actually drive it today'!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:01 PM
zake540
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks for the info guys!
Got a quick question. I think I screwed up some where on the build.
I finally got it finished last night (more or less that is, I still have the body to paint), and when I ran it on the kitchen floor a little, there was a clicking noise from the front when I turn sometimesn almost like something was binding up, and it didn't seem to want to turn all that well. It would turn, but not completly, then "click" and the wheels would finish the turn.
The servo is a brand new Hitec HS625MG. I hve manually turned the wheels right to left, left to riht and there is no problem. It only does it when The car is on, and the servo is doing the turn. I am not entirely sure what the problem is.
Other than that, everything is great.

Make sure you put the red foam bushing inside the diffs cups. What that does is it pushes the dog bones onto the wheel axels very important especially when turning. Without those the dogbones gets loose and it binds up with the wheel axels when turning.

Good luck with the build and have fun!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Mad Fox

No prob bud. [sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Old 05-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Calin666

I just got home and checked out Page 10, build section 17, Part K7. I can't seem to find that part anywhere.
What is the part called, or what does it look like?
I am going to try the foam, and see how that works. Instructions said to cut the red foam in half. Maybe I shouldn't have. No big deal. Quick and easy fix, you live, you learn!
Old 05-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Calin666

I FINALLY got to run my TA05, and holy crap! I am SOOO impressed. My buddy and I are both running 19t motors, and 3600mah Venom packs. He has a XXX-S with a Novak XRS ESC, and I have a POS ESC out of my Duratrax Evader BX, and I smoked him good. He just couldn't keep up. I can't wait to get out on my local on-road track, and really see what this baby can do!
Old 05-10-2008, 01:01 PM
rcluke

Just gave the 5.5T b/l '05 a QUICK run outside, damn !!! it is fast.

i had-to use my old racing minipins, because the slicks i was using had no grip.

i cant wait to use it at my local track next week

i killed a spur gear, i got a small stone stuck in the pinion and when it spun it cut a groove out of the centre.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Longhair

I still have to read though all the threads but...

What is the differences between the TA05 & TA05___ (letters behind it) ?
Old 05-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Calin666

The "R" version is like a racing version. The "IFS" version his inboard suspension.
If I remember right, with Tamiya, an "XB" at the end, is their "eXpert Built", that has all kinds of hop ups and stuff.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Longhair

All the XB's that I have seen are Tamiya's RTR [X(]

I'm not looking to race but something to run on the pavement (rubber tires) and capable of handling a Mamba Max 7700kV

I thought I would start doing my homework on this now since it is between the TA05 & GT/F1/Indy.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:16 PM
rcluke

The "R" version is like a racing version. The "IFS" version his inboard suspension.
If I remember right, with Tamiya, an "XB" at the end, is their "eXpert Built", that has all kinds of hop ups and stuff.
XB has no hop-ups

it's just a standard one which is pre-built and RTR
Old 05-10-2008, 03:19 PM
rcluke

ORIGINAL: Longhair

All the XB's that I have seen are Tamiya's RTR [X(]

I'm not looking to race but something to run on the pavement (rubber tires) and capable of handling a Mamba Max 7700kV

I thought I would start doing my homework on this now since it is between the TA05 & GT/F1/Indy.
The '05 will handle the MM7700 much better than a GT/F1/Indy, and you will be able to drive it without spinning out (as much)

a lady at my track has a 7700MM powered '05, i have never seen it run though, but i know for a fact that the '05 is capable of the b/l power, i am now running b/l, the bloke i bought the new '05 from ran it b/l, this lady runs hers b/l and Eman has a 7700b/l

Longhair, PM me and i might be able to sort you out an '05 for a good price
Old 05-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Longhair

I'm totally undecided on what road rage type of car to get so it won't be for a while before I commit to buy.

Too many projects ahead on the Whirlpool List [sm=drowning.gif]
Old 05-10-2008, 03:47 PM
rcluke

What projects are you planning ?

remember the 3pk 'only' has 10 model memory, unless you buy the chip thing for the front
Old 05-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Longhair

20 memory storage on the 3pk / 10 more with the campak

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.