Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:15 AM
wrnr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Thank you Scar, for your word of caution - they had not yet come up on my screen.
Werner
Old 05-23-2010, 09:06 PM
RACE 66

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Ricky2000..... As for the Mustang.... Make a new kit off the old/new parts and build the the ...stang with the new parts you've just created. Might take note on the the original parts is to compare the size(s) to the plans. Granted plans can shrink/expand through time, but, if your going to make a kit, might as well make the parts accurate. Yes, it would be LABOR intensive, but the goal would be still having an original kit etc.
I am glad you like the thread, I am the original "poster" of the thread. I scratch and build from kits, and have assembled a ARF or two, but that's my limit though I am currently finishing up a .15 size Mustang for racing, it is an ARF... but being safety concious and wanting the plane to fly straight and true for the rigors of racing, I "bashed" it to my standards within all the rules listed in our club. I wish now I would have "scratched" one as it would have been exactly what I wanted as for the build and flying characteristic's, I've put in to much "time" in this one in making it "right".
I've heard that the Nosen kits tend to be "weak" in certain areas, first of all, I've seen one or two Nosen Mustangs years ago that flew. That's my expeirence with this particular "kit". If you do decide to "make a kit", a suggestion is to review what the plan reflects for design, the type of wood being used for that particular area and how that area would affect the safety/build/flying on a whole.
Just my two cents worth !
Old 05-24-2010, 11:37 AM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

HELLO I WOULD LOVE TO BUY A COPY OF THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE GIANT BUD NOSEN MUSTANG KIT.
WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO SELL ME A COPY? EMAIL ME [email protected] THANKS. PS WHAT DID YOU PAY FOR THE SPINNER?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:14 PM
SteelersRule!

It seems that everytome I open a thread, someone chats about Arizona Models. Run the other way...........</p>
Old 05-30-2010, 11:39 PM
JW0311

This is just the thread I've been looking for. Have never built a kit but after reading this thread I think it's time to start. Thank you guys for all the info.. Would love to build an aircraft from a pile of sticks and have it sail through the skies. Now I just have to figure out what to build.......[]
Old 05-31-2010, 11:28 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How much experience do you have in flying as that would point us in the right direction to suggest kit(s).
Old 06-01-2010, 02:17 AM
JW0311

Not much. Six months and still flying the trainer. The idea of flying an aircraft that I put together with my own hands just really apeals to me. If I don't get it right, it will not fly right. Well .............. Having said that, maybe I should'nt.  
Old 06-01-2010, 01:48 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way that anyone ever learned to build was by building. Mistakes are just part of the game. I haven't built a model yet without at least one mistake being made during its construction, but all of them have flown and none of them has fallen apart except for one wing center section. My first low winger was a Trainermaster by AAMCO. I came from control line flying, where we never had to fiberglass a center section. Instead of applying silk covering fabric as I usually did on my control line models, I tried this new fangled stuff called Super Monokote. A plastic film that you ironed on. I had used it once before on my first multi-channel model, a Goldberg Senior Falcon with great success.

There was my new Trainermaster in the air, screaming along side the .60 powered models just like it belonged there. It was the 13th flight. The little OS .40H was merrily spinning the 10x6 prop and wasn't taking any prisoners as it ran past some of the slower .60 powered models. Then, I just had to do a really fast, full power in the downline, split S. The wing broke in the middle and stunned me to the point that I even forgot to throttle back. My brand new model, engine and six channel Orbit R/C system, also brand new, lie in a compact heap at the end of the field. Remember, this happened back before CA glue and 5-minute epoxy were heard of. I was looking at at least six months of full time evening building just to get another one of these things flying again. And that was after I figured out how to pay for all of the new stuff that I needed. I was a teensy bit upset.

So guys, if your engine quits while you are hovering your ARF or RTF and splatters your model, don't mind me if I'm not particularly sympathetic.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-01-2010, 07:07 PM
RACE 66

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

NM2K well said. I to have been at it awhile. One of my sayings, "in order to practice your flying, you've got to practice your building".
No, you don't crash ALL the time in order to gain expeirence, but, as always a learning curve, even with "quality" kits, instructions, etc. to GUIDE you, the builder is the final decison maker, and many, many times it comes from expeirence and seeing your results in a SAFE, flyable aircraft.
Yeah, I am familar with Orbit, buddies, of mine, 3 of them flew Orbit. One was featured in an ad, showing him flying with his antenna collasped while the plane was still in full control. And remember the "Digit Midget", Yep, the smell of fresh balsa and ambroid, oops, CA Yeah could go on and on, just got back out of the shop, readying a fresh .15 Mustang pylon racer. Have a good one.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:34 PM
willig10

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all:
I just posted some pictures of my Sig Morrisey bravo build. It is a couple of posts down from this thread. Enjoy.

Glenn
Old 06-18-2010, 07:35 PM
dheinmuller

kits are still alive! I am attaching 5 pics of a 180 inch wingspan F4U-1 Corsair that is currently being built! This beautiful beast was HANDCUT by Cornell Michael Kitcutting who is at www.kitcutter.com! Believe me folks, it may take him a long long time to cut something like this but those people that have gotten one of his kits, they do overall love his work. I myself got a P-61 Black Widow in 1/5th scale cut by him, and more recently the 1/4 scale Don Smith P-51 Mustang!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20298.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	1455053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85618.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	1455054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52619.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	1455055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl26531.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1455056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm76102.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	1455057  
Old 06-19-2010, 12:34 AM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: dheinmuller

kits are still alive! I am attaching 5 pics of a 180 inch wingspan F4U-1 Corsair that is currently being built! This beautiful beast was HANDCUT by Cornell Michael Kitcutting who is at www.kitcutter.com! Believe me folks, it may take him a long long time to cut something like this but those people that have gotten one of his kits, they do overall love his work. I myself got a P-61 Black Widow in 1/5th scale cut by him, and more recently the 1/4 scale Don Smith P-51 Mustang!
cornell cut my 1/5 scale hughes H-1 racer off plans, i now have a kit, fiberglass specialty cowl, sierra retracts, saito 1.70 3 cyl. radial. the kit he cut is just beautiful. the manager of the spruce goose musium in McMinnville, Or. has invited me and the hughes racer to come and be displayed and flown there. i think it will be quite an honor to do that. so i better get on the stick!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

Anyone have either a New in box great planes giant aeromaster kit or a andrews aeromaster kit? I would trade a premium new in box goldberg bucker kit for either.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:12 PM
frankolin42
My Feedback: (2)

Kits or semi kit companies.
Balsa U.S.A.
SIG
Meister Scale
Nick Zerolli
Tower Hobbies
E Bay
Old 07-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Aircraft Modelers Research Inc

Please don't forget us :-)
www.amr-rc.com
Old 07-11-2010, 06:16 PM
tailskid

I've heard good things about your kits....gonna have to do one of them sooner or later...

Jerry
Old 07-11-2010, 06:35 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Finishing up my AMR 33% Waco, beauty of a kit.
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27915.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1466345   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45743.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1466346  
Old 07-31-2010, 02:04 PM
wazzbat

Hi all - First Post!

I have given up looking for a kit for a decent price down here in Australia. I want to build a trainer plane and the only one I have found is a PT40 and it costs twice what a similar ARF will cost??? Then I would have to buy the coverings, glue etc etc. It would probably end up costing me 3 times as much as an ARF. I built a trainer plane about ten years ago from kit and enjoyed it. Flew it a couple of times then other commitments got in the way and I sold everything. Having a look around, Ican't believe the way this industry has headed and changed so much in ten years. Anyway, it's probably a big ask but I have decided to try and build a plane from plans. I have ordered a few different sets including the RCM Junior Trainer, the PT40 and the Instructor. Once I get them, I will have to decide which one is the easiest to build???
Old 07-31-2010, 02:55 PM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

hello,
i am an 80 year old modeler who builds and flys all kinds of models. i some times design my own. i am currently flying giant planes and 1/2 a texaco.
you cant go wrong with a sig seniorite. trainer. i have trained over 100 to fly on the kadet/ senior line.
i have a few trainers that can be starters or advance trainers doing loops and barrel rolls easy.
these are for sale as i am downsizing my stock of kits. all less than $90.00 plus shipping some at $70.00
i have lots of plans if you would like to build from them. they show all the parts for you to cut out as well ass drawings. these are $25.00 or less plus postage.
contact me at (all caps) [email protected]. if you know some aussies who would like to buy some KRAFT r/c sets i have them in good condition at a fair price. keep on builden and flying. it's fun
Old 07-31-2010, 04:06 PM
TJDNC

Read your post on where have the kits gone. Check this plane out http://www.rcflightschool.com/SNL.asp It is used as a primary trainer at the school. I hjave a set of plans and its a very nice plane. I think someone was producing a short kit.

Thomas
Old 07-31-2010, 08:54 PM
frankolin42

THE kits are almost gone, and I dam# darn the ARF world, and their manufactures. The ARF has robbed the individual of classic Father Son/Daughter time. ARF's have also dumbed down America even more, by giving them the pre cooked TV dinner, as opposed to the traditional challenge American's loved.Americans are now lazier. And finally and even more importantly we've[:@] robbed the American worker of their jobs building these airplane kits, we have now outsourced our American labor to some third world country to build these ARFs usually by women and children in sweat shops, in the name of new world Capitalism, keeping the prices down...Enjoy your ARF....NOT ME!!!! I'm kit building by U.S. manufacturers, or scratch building exclusively America lets keep it in America, lets go back to the kit builders, and send the ARFs back to the island of misfit toys where they belong....[>:][:@][>:][:@][>:][:'(][>:] In the infamous bumper stickers of the Dave Platt camp......."BARF ON ARF".......Good Night and God Bless...
Old 07-31-2010, 10:33 PM
tailskid

frankolin42, how do you really feel
Old 08-01-2010, 01:44 PM
RGaw

Hi Frankolin42.
I have been out of the hobby for about 15 years, and I am just getting back in. Ihappen to agree with everything that you said, I was very dissappointed to find that most everything that is available are ARFor RTF. I dont get it. Iam currently building a Four Star 120 and I am waiting on positive cash flow toorder an AMR trainer 26. Ipersonally will not purchase anything that is allready built for me. Iremember when I was very young, picking up copies of RCM and reading them from cover to cover studying plans and dreaming of building my own plane. When I built my first trainer and then flew it, that feeling can never be obtained by throwing together an ARF. Iam thankful to the people in this forum for keeping the concept alive.

Happy Building
Old 08-01-2010, 03:24 PM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

rcm, m.a.n and dozens of plan makers out there that have planes of ALL kinds designed that you can build of scratch from.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:41 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was browsing in the LHS today, and there, tucked behind all the park flyer [:'(] ARFs, was a still-in-the-cellophane-wrap Sig LT-40 kit. This is, IMO, the best overall trainer of the many I've flown. I trained grandson #1 on the ARF, then we killed it dorking around at low altitude on a windy day.

Grandson #2 is showing some intermittent interest, but the H9 P-51 PTS I assembled for him is NOT a primary trainer... their claims to the contrary notwithstanding. A great second plane, sure. But a basic trainer? No way.

With Sig looking to be not long for this world, I said what the heck and bought the kit. I've got a 52 Surpass that will go nicely with it, and I'll build it as a tail dragger. Yeah... a Haigh tail wheel, with a second LG block in place for floats... looks like my previously-planned "winter build project" (a GP Patty Wagstaff Extra) has been superseded.

BTW, I have a complete (to include second set of plans) Sig SkyBolt kit wasting away on a shelf. If anyone is interested, PM me. A larger-than-normal trainer excepted, I just cannot get into little airplanes anymore; I'll never build the 'Bolt. It needs a home/builder. I have a GP Super AeroMaster 1/3 complete that I haven't touched in three years. I'll get around to finishing it, because I already have so much time invested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.