Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Boomerang Nano!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Boomerang Nano!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Gordon W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Boomerang Nano!!!

Clear blue skies appeared at last, and wonderful sunshine had me out at the field today where I embarked on wringing out the little beauty in ideal conditions. The '44 started instantly every time and sounded wonderful. I will have to fit a 50oz tank though. Freed from all worries about puffing 500 quid's worth of lipos in my 4kW 110mm EDF Fox-Composites Hawk (been there and done that), not to mention smoking escs and EDF motors, I'm now keeping the throttle wide open for most of each flight and achieving 7-8 mins from a 40oz tank with Tx timer set to 7 mins, which seems like a lifetime compared with having the timer at 3.5mins for EDFs running 5000 lipos.

I have a 2200 lipo on the ECU and a charged spare, and decided to change the lipo when I changed the fuel can - my paraffin comes in 4 litre containers to which I simply add 120 ml of Castrol TTS for a 3% oil mix. So one container equates to 4 flights, and I swapped the ECU lipo after 4 flights.

I had 8 energetic flights in all, and each ECU battery had 500mAh replaced when re-charged, so I can leave either battery in there for at least 12 flights. The Rx lipos required 500mAh in one, and 280mAh in the other, a total of 780mAh in 8 flights.

I'd adjusted the snap/spin flight mode for greater rudder and elevator deflections and now the Nano snaps fine, but the spin is rather steep, possibly due to the weight of fuel ahead of the CG. After the 7th flight which included a lot of flicks - horizontal and vertical up and down ones - along with stall turns and spins, there was a fair amount of air in the bubble trap which I purged. So I'm glad I fitted the trap last Saturday.

I still need to cure the adverse roll when doing knife-edges, but the Nano looks absolutely gorgeous when in a low banked pass, ending with a Derry and a low banking turn in the opposite direction.

The ease of landing continues to gratify me, as a lot of my recent models have been pigs to land and I'd begun to think I'd lost the touch. The Nano's benign landing behaviour has restored confidence and all eight landings were feather-light. Which is really nice because the geriatric Springair 102s (at least 15 years old) I've installed have the thin wire - 5/32 I think and despite the terrible concrete surface we were flying off today, full of huge cracks and craters, the gear ended the session completely unscathed, a tribute to the Nano's low wing loading and ability to float onto the ground like a feather.

This is my 12th jet (all the others were ICDF and EDF) and though I really liked every one of my previous jets, without doubt Nano is the most enjoyable to fly and easiest to operate. So it's big well done's to Alan and Wren, who are both producing top-class equipment.

Gordon
Old 09-09-2009, 08:16 PM
gruntled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds great Gordon.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:58 PM
gruntled

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

look in your bag of hardware - the hinges (circular) are in there...
You were right BTW. They were in the bag. I dunno how I missed them the first time.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:04 AM
bigandy

Morning all.

I'm just about to install the gubbins in the fuselage of my Nano, and I was wondering if people generally fuel proof the internals at all? If so, what do you use?

Cheers
Andy
Old 09-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Yes it is a good preventative idea, but you don't want to add too much weight in the process. I've found the easiest to apply, and least noxious to be diluted wood glue (the yellow stuff).

I had 8 energetic flights in all
Gordon, how is the airframe holding out..any additional flexing?

[quote

look in your bag of hardware - the hinges (circular) are in there...

You were right BTW. They were in the bag. I dunno how I missed them the first time. [/quote]

...I'm not trying to be a smarty pants, I just happed to dig mine out about an hour before I saw the question..I coud see how they would be over looked .....

I've installed the nylon pin hinges in the flap (...as suggested earlier)....what a difference compared to the ca ones in my baby boomer! Unfortunately, I had to recut all the aileron and rudder hinge slots. They were way too shallow for the supplied hinges. The wood is really hard, so I had to use my top flite hinge cutter....but it is gratifying to know that they will never, ever come out!
Old 09-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Gordon W

I had 8 energetic flights in all
Gordon, how is the airframe holding out..any additional flexing?
No, and with the substantial construction I wouldn't expect any.

Five flights Thursday evening, 4 yesterday evening, a couple more this morning and probably 4 tomorrow morning. I seem to be hooked on kerosene, judging by the pile of empty 4 litre paraffin containers in the garage collected in one week. I still have another 58 litres to go at as I stockpiled the stuff during the recent duff weather and bought 8 more today. At about 8 mins airtime per litre that's almost 8 hours more flying fun to look forward to.

I've just about got the knife-edge sorted with the code 64 rudder-aileron-elevator mix program on my 10X. 25% aileron mix the same way as the rudder (ie right rudder needs right aileron trim and vice-versa) and about 14% up-elevator mix now has the Nano tracking pretty well straight in knife edge with minimal roll interaction. This should also make banked flypasts a lot easier - essential 'cos that's my clubmates' favourite view of the Nano!

Ref fuel proofing, I painted the entire internals of the nacelle and the equipment plate with two coats of finishing resin. I always weigh the resin to ensure I mix equal parts, and didn't use more than a couple or three ounces.

I also bought my first two BVM products for this model ... heat shield paint and retract lube. The lube definitely rejuvenated the geriatric 15 year old Springair 102s I'm using and the system now holds its pressure from one day to the next. I guess the heat shield is doing its stuff, but it'll be hard to tell until I have a hot start

Ref my mod to retain the carbon wing tubes, I inspected my Sebart Katana this morning out of interest, and that uses the same pin through the sleeve that I "invented" as my cure for the detaching disc problem. Verb sap.

Gordon
Old 09-14-2009, 08:54 PM
gruntled

Are the holes in the control surfaces that the control horn bolt passes through already present under the covering, or do they need to be drilled? So far I have only looked at the flap closely, but I could not discern the hole under the covering.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

You drill your own holes after lining up the servo arm. The little white arrow in the black box in the instruction sheet is the "instruction" to drill a hole...the size requed (3mm) is underneath....... It is a real simpla and painless way of installing control horns...
Old 09-15-2009, 04:44 AM
gruntled

The little white arrow in the black box in the instruction sheet is the ''instruction'' to drill a hole...the size requed (3mm) is underneath.......
Ahhhh . . . RTFM!

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:24 PM
aaflyer
My Feedback: (121)

My Nano is ready, just waiting for the weather here in N. Texas to improve. Typical Boomer build, this is my second one, had the Intro back in in 07'. P-60 in the back, 8411's on everything except NWS, Dubro HD clevis and horns, H9 Pro-links. Dreamworks Gear Pkg(Great work Todd!) I also created a horizontal stab lead edge heat shield using aluminum tape( found this to be essential in my Intro) 12.5lbs AUW.

Al
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46494.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	1276086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91489.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	1276087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16522.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	1276088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd88944.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	1276089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78873.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	1276090  
Old 09-15-2009, 05:43 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you find your tailplane is getting hot and needs tapping etc, try putting a spacer on the front turbine mount to point it away from the tail, it does not seem to make a lot of difference to the flying of these boom type design's but does stop the tial from burning.

Mike
Old 09-18-2009, 02:25 PM
gruntled

Is this adequate throw for the flap? I have the control horn almost down the the control surface. I don't thik I will get a full 90 degrees no matter what I do.

BTW - I assume the bolt gets cut down after it is all set-up?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32808.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1277604  
Old 09-18-2009, 05:13 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

that is plenty. If you have the ability to set two positions (say a full and half) i would. I have noticed that I rarely use full flaps on mine so I use two position. You have more then enough right there.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:36 PM
gruntled

Great! Thanks Noah.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:46 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Soco: if it is anything like the intro, you'll want it to deploy slowly and will need to mix in a moderate to generous amount of DOWN elevator

Al: Hope Ican make the maiden, you looking at next week now?
Old 09-19-2009, 12:37 AM
SpiderJets

We've seen the flight demo of the Nano here at JetPower in the good hands of Ali yesterday, powered by a Wren 44 ; flies really nice, just like all the Boomerangs, maybe even a bit more relaxing than the Elan and the XL.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:20 AM
aaflyer
My Feedback: (121)

Smitty,

Yes I get done with this 3 day late Monday, hopefully wx permitting[:@] between Tues-Thurs.

Al

Old 09-19-2009, 05:39 PM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

I maidened my NANO today . I must say the SuperSport offers up a spectacular climb rate... up there with BVM bandits etc!!!
I have the throttle on a mix so it flys on 14 lbs but then goes to full tilt boogie with the flip of a switch...

I had to do some trimming on the first flight... down elevator, and some aileron trim.. Also has to add quite a bit of aileron differential to get nice axial rolls
My plane almost did a loop when I deployed the flap so added a mix to put in some down elevator with flap deployment.
I get 8-9 min flights since I am not using anywhere near full thrust except for takeoff and extreme climbs...

I also added a lot of expo to the main flight controls to avoind twitchiness!

The Nano does some very quick snap rolls... It is just another FUN plane in the boomerang line...

Takeoff is quite short with 18 lbs thrust available...

I will post some pictures and videos soon...
Old 09-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Turbinac

Patricia and I had a great time at Jet Power.
Here's a video link to one of Ali's flights there with the Nano, Wren MW44 powered. Taken on my little Canon still camera.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZhJeH5Wqh8]Nano at Jetpower. 2009.[/link]
Old 09-21-2009, 03:35 PM
gruntled

Cool! Looks like a nice wide performance envelope.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Gordon W

ORIGINAL: Turbinac

Patricia and I had a great time at Jet Power.
Here's a video link to one of Ali's flights there with the Nano, Wren MW44 powered. Taken on my little Canon still camera.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZhJeH5Wqh8]Nano at Jetpower. 2009.[/link]
Ace movie photography with that camera Alan.

Looks like Ali's Nano goes as well as mine does

Gordon
Old 09-21-2009, 07:22 PM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

Here's a video of my 3rd trimming flight... this one has a Wren SS turbine... maximum fun. will go stright up forever!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN747eRZzKg

NOTE: this is still rendering on YOU TUBE .. it should be available soon...
This plane is a BLAST
Old 09-21-2009, 07:42 PM
LearnedInUk

ORIGINAL: Socomon

Cool! Looks like a nice wide performance envelope.
Socomon... Is that you the "Enabler"?

Since the Bank Warden has the bank closed until next year I will have to live vicariously through you and Bill!

Mike (Red Bull Guy)
Old 09-21-2009, 08:20 PM
gruntled

Hey Mike:

Yup - if I can just muster the time and energy to get it all built, it will hopefully fly like the one in the video some day. I went to GPA today and bought some 4-40 HD ball links only discover they won't fit inside the servo covers. D'oh! It's always some darn thing.

Steve
Old 09-21-2009, 08:42 PM
LearnedInUk

Steve,

Your first clue that it would not fit should have been when it was in stock at GPA.
Had GPA not had it it would have been exactly what you needed!

Keep plugging away. it took me 6 months to get my latest done...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.