Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Official Tamiya TT-01 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 03:15 AM
mindwreck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Tamiya TT-01 Thread

my friend (hes nubus here, he hasn't been on for awhile) got his tt-01 messed up too. . hes was worst than mine, after like 3 minutes in the diamond his car was out. rock in the spur killed his pinion some rocks got stuck in his motor too and messed up the bearings. I got a rock stuck in my drive shaft and it ground a band on my drive shaft like a lathe

ORIGINAL: Raguvian

My TT-01 has never gotten dirt into the gearboxes and I've offroaded that thing quite a bit already, but Mindwreck's experience with the TT-01 on the baseball diamond scares me.
I think I"ll keep the stock components on there when I go play in the snow. I probably wouldn't be able to handle the 12T motor on snow and ice.
But yes, the TEU-101 barely gets even warm, so I think I'll just use that.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:12 AM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

No I meant flood as in flood of that new graphite chassis on the forums
Old 11-30-2007, 04:57 PM
explod3

is the motor way too hot to balloon? or maybe try aluminum foil.. aluminum has thermogenic properties.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Raguvian

ORIGINAL: mindwreck

my friend (hes nubus here, he hasn't been on for awhile) got his tt-01 messed up too. . hes was worst than mine, after like 3 minutes in the diamond his car was out. rock in the spur killed his pinion some rocks got stuck in his motor too and messed up the bearings. I got a rock stuck in my drive shaft and it ground a band on my drive shaft like a lathe

My TT-01 has never gotten dirt into the gearboxes and I've offroaded that thing quite a bit already, but Mindwreck's experience with the TT-01 on the baseball diamond scares me.
I think I"ll keep the stock components on there when I go play in the snow. I probably wouldn't be able to handle the 12T motor on snow and ice.
But yes, the TEU-101 barely gets even warm, so I think I'll just use that.
Well, since nothing has really happened to mine yet, I'm just going to open up both diffs and smear some silcone sealant on the edges.
Also, I will probaby make a little plastic shield for the driveshaft out of a 2 liter soda bottle or something. Something that's really lightweight that I can just tape onto the chassis as a dirt and rock guard that I don't have to remove.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:18 PM
dfiantii

Ok guys and girls and especially gurus of the TT01 domain. I have a question. I plan to race my TT01 at our local track. We do not have a Tamiya class so I am not resticked to Tamiya only parts. I still have the stock TEU-101BK esc . The only requirment for my class is that it has to be a 23 turn motor like the Trinity pro stock or Tamiya Super Stock motor. I want to upgrade my ESC does anyone have any ideas for me that won't break the bank. Only things on my list right now are the Novak XRS, Intellispeed 8 or 12 turn limit and LRP f-1. Any idea would be appreciated. Right now i have aluminum drive shaft and pro joints, adjustable upper arms, ball bearings all around deans, oil filled shocks steering turnbuckles. Right now this is mainly to get my feet wet with racing eventually I plan to upgrade to the Team Losi JRXS Type R. Don't flame me for this I like the TRF415 and 416 but no real hobby support for it so its either this or maybe even an XrayT2 007 but more leaning to the Losi.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Raguvian

The TEU101 can handle a 23 turn motor so I don't see why you'd want a new one.
But I have an Intellispeed 12T ESC, and I really like it.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:39 AM
mindwreck

yeah why would you get a diifferent esc? I loved using the 101bk while i had it in my tt-01 for light/stock racing. only reason why i don't use it anymore is because i put a mamba in my tt-01. it has great linear throttle control, good brakes. and simple 1 button setup. Its a perfect for your race class.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:14 AM
rcluke

has anyone got a TT-01 Z4 coupe?,
is it a shorter wheel base version of the TT-01?,
Old 12-01-2007, 11:43 AM
DirtBonez

Well that was fun Got a light sprinkle of snow last night just enough to cover the driveway and my lawn. The car drifted really well on the pavement. Alot like having ABS tires on just alot less noisy. And if I got it up to full speed I could go 20-30 feet across snow covered grass without getting stuck. Looks like the waterproofing worked just fine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74496.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	815897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17614.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	815898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32647.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	815899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83462.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	815900  
Old 12-01-2007, 12:17 PM
rcluke

ORIGINAL: DirtBonez

Well that was fun Got a light sprinkle of snow last night just enough to cover the driveway and my lawn. The car drifted really well on the pavement. Alot like having ABS tires on just alot less noisy. And if I got it up to full speed I could go 20-30 feet across snow covered grass without getting stuck. Looks like the waterproofing worked just fine.
sweet , lucky, i was rallying mine on my wet garden thismorning
Old 12-01-2007, 01:12 PM
sanshu

wow i'm happy for you d!!!
those pictures look nice man!
i'm gonna try it out one of these days!!!
can you tell me exactly what you did to you're tt-01?
thanks!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 01:24 PM
DirtBonez

Well I put it back to stock form. The only stuff on there now is the alloy wheel hex's, adjustable turnbuckles, and adjustable upper arms. Other than that its just a stock TT-01. And as for water proofing I put the servo and ESC into some balloons and ran the wires out of the end of the balloon then ziptied the opening tight.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:41 PM
sanshu

that's should do the trick!!!
and what about the motor?
is it gonna rust with all that snow man?
Old 12-01-2007, 01:56 PM
rcluke

ORIGINAL: hyperhkss15

that's should do the trick!!!
and what about the motor?
is it gonna rust with all that snow man?
tis only silver can :P
Old 12-01-2007, 02:23 PM
DirtBonez

Well the motor is mostly aluminum on the outside so it shoulent rust. Not sure about the internals but like luke said its just a silver can. I'm sure it will run for a good while and when it dies, they have them at my LHS for 5 bucks haha
Old 12-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Raguvian

DirtBonez, could you take closeups of the servo and balloon? Does the snow affect the servo because there's a hole cut in the balloon to let the servo head through?

Thanks. I hope have my TT-01 looking like that in a few weeks.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:24 PM
DirtBonez

If you really want them I can get you some pictures I guess but not tonight its late The water does not affect the servo because of the hole. It might if the car went underwater or something but a bit of rain or snow is no big deal. Not enough water will ever seep in to actually damage the servo. And If it did 9 chances out of 10 you could just take the servo appart, dry it off and it would be fine. The hole itself is just a tiny pin hole that you stretch over the head of the servo and then attach the arm. This makes a very tight seal around the servo head also helping to stop water from getting in.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:48 AM
Raguvian

ORIGINAL: DirtBonez

If you really want them I can get you some pictures I guess but not tonight its late The water does not affect the servo because of the hole. It might if the car went underwater or something but a bit of rain or snow is no big deal. Not enough water will ever seep in to actually damage the servo. And If it did 9 chances out of 10 you could just take the servo appart, dry it off and it would be fine. The hole itself is just a tiny pin hole that you stretch over the head of the servo and then attach the arm. This makes a very tight seal around the servo head also helping to stop water from getting in.
That makes sense. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:13 PM
dfiantii

Thanks for the input Mindreck and Raguvian as far as the esc goes. I have just been told that its not a good combo so I wanted some input on the matter, since I will mostly be running Trinity monster Stock Pro motors and the Tamiya RZ motor for my races. I am leaving the brushless system to my next car, but I thought from reading other forums that the 101BK esc could not handle the punishment with 27turn motors.

Input I got from a Tamiya racer on rctech.ne

dfiantii,

Thought I'd pass on my experience with them.
The instructions that came with all three of my 101's states they can handle a 23turn motor.
I carpet race, on a small indoor track (the size of a basketball court), so we gear low. None of the three 101's can handle my 27t Peak Racing RS24 .. they run it, but 9 times out of 10 cut out after about 4 1/2 minutes under race conditions (the 101's cut out and flash the LED when they overheat).

In reality, a speedy should be rated for maximum power, not minimum turns, as it is possible to get a 23 turn motor that outputs less power than a 27.

I replaced the 101 with a 2nd hand pc-nolimit and have had no problems since.

Do speedies make a difference and effect the level of performance of the motor? Most definetely: YES!

I put my old sports-tuned back in the car with the pc-nolimit and was with no other changes going a lap and half faster.

Similarly, a friend who ran the cheapest LRP AI speedy was consistently getting 21 - 22 laps at our track, and occasionally getting close to 23.

He bought the sphere competition, and with no other changes to his setup, bolted it in and got 24 laps first race.

I am still trying to understand why, I used to think it's just Volts and Amps .. it either works or it doesn't. I am currently trying to understand the way the top end speedies pulse the motor rather than delivering a constant current and voltage.

Hope this provokes thought

Kav
Old 12-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Raguvian

If that's the case, then get the Duratrax Intellispeed ESC. The 12T is ~$65 on tower, and I like to accelerate hard all the time and it has never died on me yet. It does get burning hot though, if you use a 12T motor and use the brakes a lot. Otherwise, it's a great ESC IMO.

BTW, on Tuesday I'm probably going to order the carbon fiber brace and oil filled shocks from tower hobbies. Are there any problems with using oil filled shocks offroad or should I put the friction shocks on for that?
Old 12-02-2007, 10:43 PM
dfiantii

I would use the friction shocks just get better springs for in no sense in messing up the good oil filled shocks for of roading. You will have to clean the oils every so often probably even more than an on roader like myself. I won't be getting a 12 turn motor as I will just be running the motors that I spoke about but sounds like the way to go in case I change my mind later.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:56 PM
mindwreck

i don't know... its all on your opinion now.. i love the 101bk. for awhile i ran it with 2 silver can motors in a clod. haha funny sight but the 101bk handled it like a pro..

i used my tt-01 to drift on hard rubber drift tires, which is lots of hard braking and hard throttling for like 20minutes. only time my 101 cut out was during summer bashings at noon time under like +90F direct sun.

people have good experience and some have bad ones... so your just gonna have to make a decision.. if u do get another esc. the intellispeed Raguvian is suggesting is a good one too.

it isn't all about amps and voltage but thats like 90% of it.. drive frequency controls how the the motor is throttled and how smooth the power and drive-ability is. reason why they don't have constant voltage amp systems is inefficiency.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:00 PM
ELK

i've had two venom batteries since i got the tt-01 which has been like three weeks.
wat other batteries r good to use.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:00 PM
mindwreck

depends on teh surface mainly. are how the springs are. My tt-01 is now setup for handling and drifting so its super stiff. the frictions shocks do pretty well offroad but clearance is pretty limited in them. probably be easier to since u don't have the dirty oil to worry about

If that's the case, then get the Duratrax Intellispeed ESC. The 12T is ~$65 on tower, and I like to accelerate hard all the time and it has never died on me yet. It does get burning hot though, if you use a 12T motor and use the brakes a lot. Otherwise, it's a great ESC IMO.

BTW, on Tuesday I'm probably going to order the carbon fiber brace and oil filled shocks from tower hobbies. Are there any problems with using oil filled shocks offroad or should I put the friction shocks on for that?
Old 12-02-2007, 11:04 PM
dfiantii

Thanks mindwreck. I am eventually going to have to change the esc unless I get the car I want by summer when the temp is suppose to get really hot on asphalt here in Sacramento. For now while its cool/cold the 101bk will be fine but I was looking into the future as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.