Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 09:08 AM
Ken Park
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well looks ok with Tamyia Spray paint Luft light Blue, Luft Grey Green and Luft Grey Violet then used Cali-Graphics - FW-190 decals 1/5 scale - Had to cut the Iron-Cross for fuse-sides in 1/2 to get them to fit the Reaction ended up with 4 parts pulled together using masking tape to hold them in place while being applied to the fuse. Worked great!

Used Robart Electric Retracts BVM wheels and air-brakes
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Reaction001.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	913.5 KB
ID:	2208831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reaction002.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2208832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reaction003.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2208833  

Last edited by Ken Park; 04-08-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:17 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Gorgeous!!!!!
Old 04-08-2017, 12:28 PM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, outstanding Ken! What turbine?
Old 04-08-2017, 12:31 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

very nice... but I guess it's still cold up there. When's the madden?
Old 04-08-2017, 03:36 PM
Ken Park

Hi Bruce

When I ordered the kit I asked for the Kingtech K-60G engine mount

What I have on hand are a - Jetmunt 80 currently in a Sprint and a Jet Central Falcon I got in a trade

Will my mount fit either?

Originally Posted by BruceTharpe
Wow, outstanding Ken! What turbine?
Old 04-08-2017, 03:38 PM
Ken Park

Not sure! But would like to fly it at the biggest Canadian jet event " Wingham Jets " around 22,23,24 of July

Originally Posted by Dr Honda
very nice... but I guess it's still cold up there. When's the madden?
Old 04-08-2017, 04:26 PM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Park
Hi Bruce

What I have on hand are a - Jetmunt 80 currently in a Sprint and a Jet Central Falcon I got in a trade

Can't say for certain, but probably not. I think they both are a bit wider than the K-60G. If you need a new mount, I'll take care of you...
Old 04-08-2017, 07:26 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

​Ken - Wonderful scheme. Really like the satin/flat paint look. Will maiden mine by the end of the month. Chic
Old 04-09-2017, 03:31 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by Ken Park
Hi Bruce

I have a JC Falcon... and it's a big engine. I'm not sure you will have room between the wing and fuse to even squeeze that one in. I think the 80 may fit with a little work. But as Bruce said... the 60 sized mount won't fit either.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:56 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Go with the VT80, plenty of power. The Falcon is too big and heavy, and would require lots of nose weight to balance.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:23 AM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken, in general you did a nice job finishing the plane however you may run into a lot of resistance with that emblem on the vertical stab.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:31 PM
Ken Park

Hi Bruce

Yes I'll need a new mount to fit the Jet Munt 80 - I'll stick the old mount into the mail back to you ASAP I got your address off your
web site.

Originally Posted by BruceTharpe
Can't say for certain, but probably not. I think they both are a bit wider than the K-60G. If you need a new mount, I'll take care of you...
Old 04-12-2017, 02:23 PM
joeflyer

Nice job, Ken!
Old 05-03-2017, 01:27 AM
SALMONBUG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello folks,

If you don't mind, belgium will join the party. Received my R54 kit, ordered a jetcat, ordered servos, ordered uat and I studied the booklet. I think it's time to go on with building......
Old 05-03-2017, 11:13 PM
SALMONBUG

I am studying the idea of replacing the flaps by speed brakes on the extrados of both wings. I have a set of multiplex speebrakes laying in the workshop for years (my glider era). A good positioning should be against the main spar et the position of the MAC. To place them I will have reduce the tickness of the top main spar about 1mm, all the length of the speebrake put one servo IN each wing panel ( one at center position could have done the job but I feel it's not a good idea to cut in the place were the two wings are glued together)
I made the stock wing subassemblies, but before gluing the ribs I have to decide if I'll do that modification or not.....
I have to say that I strongly hesitate to modify a design who has proven to be good.

The engine will be a jetcat P60SE with kero start option, didn't feel the need of overpowering that bird

Last edited by SALMONBUG; 05-03-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:41 AM
joeflyer

Originally Posted by SALMONBUG
I am studying the idea of replacing the flaps by speed brakes on the extrados of both wings. I have a set of multiplex speebrakes laying in the workshop for years (my glider era). A good positioning should be against the main spar et the position of the MAC. To place them I will have reduce the tickness of the top main spar about 1mm, all the length of the speebrake put one servo IN each wing panel ( one at center position could have done the job but I feel it's not a good idea to cut in the place were the two wings are glued together)
I made the stock wing subassemblies, but before gluing the ribs I have to decide if I'll do that modification or not.....
I have to say that I strongly hesitate to modify a design who has proven to be good.

The engine will be a jetcat P60SE with kero start option, didn't feel the need of overpowering that bird
Why? The standard flaps work just fine. Save yourself the trouble. I don't where speed brakes have any advantage.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:05 AM
SALMONBUG

Hello joeflyer

My reason to think speed brakes could be fine, is mainly because this plane doesn't need any extra lift.

I know that the gain in lift is compared to the drag increase is interesting in the first degrees of flaps extension and that flaps give a big drag when extended at high angles ( 60 degrees is a huge angle).
This certainly work fine with the flaps.

Be certain I don't denigrate the design of the plane, it's certainly a great performer

My idea of the speed brake was simply to kill the lift because I considered there was no need to increase clmax to slow down.

Sorry for my poor english, I have difficulties to explain my considerations.

Last edited by SALMONBUG; 05-04-2017 at 04:15 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:38 AM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Salmonbug,
You can program crow or "butterfly" to the standard ailerons to kill lift on landings. There's some discussion on the designer's website on using crow for landings-no need to modify the wings, just program the transmitter,
Rgds,
Art ARRO
Old 05-04-2017, 04:40 AM
joeflyer

Salmonbug,
Your English is fine. You are correct, with those huge wings the plane has plenty of lift. I use 50-60 degrees of flap, and usually end up gliding it in for landing with the engine at idle. Your idea for speed brakes would help. I was just questioning whether or not it's worth the extra work. Another approach is to use crow (ailerons up when flaps are down) to slow the plane down. I have not tried crow since I am comfortable bring mine in slow for landings.

Joe
Old 05-04-2017, 04:45 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Originally Posted by SALMONBUG

That's an interesting idea. Not sure you need extra braking with a P-60 but if you go to a bigger engine those brakes may come in handy. I had a P-60 in mine for a few years and then went to a Rabbit and the higher residual thrust at idle has an effect on a plane like this with light wing loading.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:01 AM
SALMONBUG

Originally Posted by afterburner
That's an interesting idea. Not sure you need extra braking with a P-60 but if you go to a bigger engine those brakes may come in handy. I had a P-60 in mine for a few years and then went to a Rabbit and the higher residual thrust at idle has an effect on a plane like this with light wing loading.
The goal is to kill the lift not to slow down on ground . I saw that some R54 flyers defect ailerons upward during approach to kill the lift, but they also increase the lift the same time by deploying flaps. ......,)). Flaps are deployed only to increase drag (and I am sure that's fine at high flaps angle)
So my idea was to replace flaps by speebrakes because I think the plane doesn't need the extra lift, it need drag (or less lift) for landing...

Last edited by SALMONBUG; 05-04-2017 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:59 AM
JustFlyIt

I have to admit, speed brakes would look cool though.

But I tend to be a pretty shallow guy that likes cool extras!��

Don
Old 07-07-2017, 06:15 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Cool

The flaps are used to create drag, not increase lift. With full flap deflection, you'll need about 1/3 throttle just to maintain slow flight with the wheels out. NO NEED FOR SPEED BRAKES!
Old 07-07-2017, 06:27 AM
JustFlyIt

On full scale aircraft flaps are used to lower the minimum speed that an aircraft can fly at (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flap_(aeronautics)). What you stated was a mistake that many of us made at pilot school. This made our detachment commander, LtC Steve Rogers (not Captain America) crazy and he had to pound the notion out of us. Drag is just a by product of that operation...and more power is needed to offset the drag.

When flying the Reaction 54 it is tempting to think about slowing the plane with flaps but we really are adjusting the wing surface for slow flight and landing.

Speed brakes would look cool though, but not really necessary.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:01 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

With 60* flap deflection (as recommended by Bruce) only drag is created, no additional lift. The wing has plenty of "lift" even at slow speed, thus the NEED for DRAG to land with the high residual thrust our model turbines have. In fact "CROW" destroys some of it while adding washout to help tip stall.
Over and out....

Dave Rigotti

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.