Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 06:26 AM
pgroom_68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

TO ESKY Big Lama Manufacturers/Resellers,

PLEASE release a 2.4G Big Lama without Transmitter very soon........ (I would buy two[sm=wink_smile.gif])

ORIGINAL: aircrash
Hi Peter,
Yes, I made them. You can get http://10x pairs RC lipo battery bal...arger plug3s1p and so you can make 5x Y-splitter cables (one battery, one voltage indicator, never make one for two batteries).
At first I was plugging the voltage indicator from the back side of the battery`s balance plug, after I had connected the battery to the charger.
Then I said myself I should make extensions for the lipo sack. So I made them but be a Y-splitter also.
I plug the voltage indicator from time to time, but I think it`s so low power consumption I could have them plugged all the time while charging.
Thanks again Spiros,

I think this is a great idea! I've ordered them just now. I probably will use all five pairs with the diff'rent Esky chargers around the house.......

Thanks again - you can never be overly careful when a housefire is the worst-case senario. It helps to know when a cell is being over-charged as it happens. Maybe if caught early, I can avoid having to discard a wrongly charged lipo. A Y-connector is cheap - a lipo is not

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 03-25-2010, 06:40 AM
sgbfly

Hi Spiros,

TY for presenting a case for the defence I am unimpressed with the bad luck but will note that the charger in question has probably been through 500 cycles, so not a bad innings!

What I am trying to say is not that the eSky charger is junk / don't buy / don't use but moreover be careful and a simple check with an inexpensive voltmeter is very prudent.

To elaborate on the fault I have observed for a moment: It is very intermittent & seems to relate to the fail safe set at 12.6V over three cells rather than 4.2V over a single cell. In other words the charger always stops charging at 12.6V. However, I would much rather it stopped when any of the cells reached 4.2V because the fault I have appears to be that occasionally the charger throws in a charge that is way out of balance with a good lipo.

Also, I am no expert, but I will suggest that the perceived reliability of premium chargers is damaged by clones

Simon

ps. I am not a fan of using google or Internet buzz as anything more than indicative I would much rather base my opinions on first hand information from discerning users such as yourself
Old 03-25-2010, 07:34 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

PLEASE release a 2.4G Big Lama without Transmitter very soon........ (I would buy two[sm=wink_smile.gif])
A little subliminal??

I think I would buy 2 as well!!!

O.K.,

So's I was out in a big field again yesterday, sweating in my shoes, becoming more daring with my BOL. It is trimmed NICE and flying well!

I get it up to a nice height, slow for a turn and it dives into the ground at 300/400mph from about 75'! Amazing![X(]

It hit so hard it caused zip ties to relax. My Lipo alarm was removed by the impact![>:]

Downtrodden and dejected our hero picked up the carcass of his "baby" and walked back to the truck head hung low

The upside is I got some watchable [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysx2xIZIh6I]video[/link] for you to enjoy!

It took me 5 hours to rebuild the bird with the flybar needing to be replaced both inner and outter shafts and of course the cabin was killed! I will report that the cheap CNC's made it! Really pleased at how well this does after a catostrophic crash. My worst yet! Prolly cost at a high 50 bux plus rebuild and trim time of 2 hours!

I must STOP and I am going to use a verb here "BUZING" my bird. It cannot handle radical moves (yah, I know, it's the pilot)![:-]

OK today the fest starts so no more flying for 5 days!

Best to all!

R/B

ps Off to Miricle Mart!

edit: They didn't (as usual, have all the parts I needed) RCCarmax, thanks peter!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:54 AM
Edmund2

R/B, sorry to read about your loss, I suppose my rebuild time will come one day. Will watch the video at home tonight.

Edmund
Old 03-25-2010, 07:56 AM
sgbfly

Hi R/B,

I wondered why you were a little quiet yesterday.......commiserations my friend! Good luck with MM, I think Spiros has all their stock! However, he left these behind

Sounds like you were a victim of the little understood sideways death dive or perhaps an ill timed freak gust of wind at a moment of low head speed.

Enjoyed your video and I note;

1) You are a celebrity and magnet for onlookers
2) The chicken at 5:25 made my day

All the best!

Simon

Old 03-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Edmund2

Ok guys I have just decided to make it a short day at work to go and FLY a few lipos in the parking lot opposite home. Tired of avoiding crashing into someting inside the house. Will be nothing as spectacular as what I see you folks can do but will give it my best shot at not allowing it to get near enough to crash into anything.

Edmund2.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:19 AM
aircrash

Hi Simon,

Sorry for my writing style. I could better in my mother language. I did not wanted to make you feel strange, the opposite to show you how bad luck you had in such short period of time.

The reason of the post was to make people who will read your single post and do not know how many batteries you have (so you can have many flying hours when you have time to fly) and do not know that you`re using those chargers for quite a long time now, understand that this is just a case, not the usual but just something it can happen at any device.
So they won`t be afraid and will not make rush decisions.

I even could not think you may have so much cycles on those chargers.

I think you put it right on this latest post, so everyone can have a whole picture of this charger`s experience.

Hi Peter,

Glad you liked this cheap balance plugs. I hope you find a cheap BOL available, without Tx or even with a Tx but in a price that`s cheap enough to buy not only two but three.
They could sell some more if there was a cheaper edition.

Hi Rikybob,

You have all the fun. Fly, crash, rebuild, adjust, test, fly again.
A crash may cost but it makes you not bored, keep busy and can`t wait to fly again.
So keep the good part. Even if you enjoy more flying than fixing, it makes you enjoy more the next flight.

Spiros
Old 03-25-2010, 08:22 AM
sgbfly

Hi R/B,

I find myself wearing an ironic smile at your high speed mishap. Only because it reminds me of my personal best crash where I Buzed my bird into a tree. In summary, I was descending from a great height rather too fast and the BOL was wobbling. Rather than cut the throttle and call "brace for impact" a few feet from the ground the overconfident pilot hit high throttle! At this moment the BOL was falling sideways & the BL power sent the BOL like an Exocet at 250MPH into this very same tree as in this other misadventure (skip to 8 mins). I never did find all the parts....

Happy days

Simon
Old 03-25-2010, 08:50 AM
sgbfly

Hi Spiros,

No need to apologise over your writing style. Your post provided balance (pun intended)

In fact I find myself stalking you . Whenever I buy from eBay I find myself looking for sellers you have used (eg. vocanlo or global.mart) thinking if they are good for the thrifty Spiros then they are good for me!

Simon

Ps. Edmund, Happy flying!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:09 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: sgbfly

Hi R/B,

I wondered why you were a little quiet yesterday.......commiserations my friend! Good luck with MM, I think Spiros has all their stock! However, he left these behind [img][/img] [img][/img]

Sounds like you were a victim of the little understood sideways death dive or perhaps an ill timed freak gust of wind at a moment of low head speed.

Enjoyed your video and I note;

1) You are a celebrity and magnet for onlookers
2) The chicken at 5:25 made my day

All the best!

Simon [img][/img]

Simon,

Off to the Fest! I may provide some QIK video in a PM so as not to clog up the fourm!

Can you tell what kind of "chicken" it is from my blurry vid!

Spiros my thrifty and intuitive friend. You are right. I enjoy flying more than repairing. Couldn't use MM as you bought all their stuff But I got a new colored canopy from Peters vendor find in Cali!

Thanx Edmund2! If you fly, you WILL crash!
Old 03-25-2010, 10:43 AM
aircrash

Hi Simon,

Out of the ebay sellers I could say with confidence that global.mart is a good one to be in the saved sellers list. He had more Big Lama parts, like 3in1 and motors, I also bought the hobbywing esc from him.
With some others I did not had a problem, but it is just that.
Now with a few of them I had wrong item or not arrived item.
I prefer those who use registered air mail though and if I don`t find the item then I use the others.

Don`t forget (to anyone who did not saw it) 3 off STAINLESS STEEL ROUND ROD BARS 3mm x 330mm 303. You can make nice shafts out of those bars. It`s in UK also.

I did use your nice idea of the key camera. I them.
Except of all the other things Ihave seen here and some I have bought.
But the key camera was the key for me. Now it seems noone else -of those Iknow- wants a camera, and I have seven for me... Ithink I may give some as a present!

Hi Rikybob,

Did you see what I have done? I left no fuselage for you.
Too bad they got out of stock, Ihave bought only one, and that was before they re-stocked parts.
I have not used it though, still new in box. Since I had the first crash and the fuselage was broken in pieces Itaped it and then it can stand any crash.

Spiros
Old 03-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Buz

ORIGINAL: rikybob

A little subliminal??

I think I would buy 2 as well!!!

O.K.,

So's I was out in a big field again yesterday, sweating in my shoes, becoming more daring with my BOL. It is trimmed NICE and flying well!

I get it up to a nice height, slow for a turn and it dives into the ground at 300/400mph from about 75'! Amazing![X(]

It hit so hard it caused zip ties to relax. My Lipo alarm was removed by the impact![>:]

Downtrodden and dejected our hero picked up the carcass of his ''baby'' and walked back to the truck head hung low

The upside is I got some watchable [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysx2xIZIh6I]video[/link] for you to enjoy!

It took me 5 hours to rebuild the bird with the flybar needing to be replaced both inner and outter shafts and of course the cabin was killed! I will report that the cheap CNC's made it! Really pleased at how well this does after a catostrophic crash. My worst yet! Prolly cost at a high 50 bux plus rebuild and trim time of 2 hours!

I must STOP and I am going to use a verb here ''BUZING'' my bird. It cannot handle radical moves (yah, I know, it's the pilot)![:-]

OK today the fest starts so no more flying for 5 days!

Best to all!

R/B

ps Off to Miricle Mart!

edit: They didn't (as usual, have all the parts I needed) RCCarmax, thanks peter!

R/B....

What you experienced in that dive of death was a head stall. If you backed off the throttle during a turn. If you're going to slow for a turn, do it before you start the turn. The worst scenario is to use aileron in a slow turn. That will put you in the dirt every time. "I must STOP and I am going to use a verb here "BUZING" my bird. It cannot handle radical moves (yah, I know, it's the pilot)!" Hahaha! Yeah, it CAN handle radical moves! It's not the helicopter...... Do I have to make another one of these? [>:] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR0pTRjNBow

Buzz

Old 03-25-2010, 04:26 PM
sgbfly

ORIGINAL: Buz
Do I have to make another one of these? [>:] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR0pTRjNBow
Yes please! But please don't compress the life out of it

Simon

Old 03-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Ddaddy

LOL...you guys are a hoot!<div></div><div>Spiros, oh yea, the charger is on its way to eflite and from what they say they will likely replace at least 1 of my batteries.</div><div></div><div>More on these batteries, eflite has some circuitry in the batteries...I haven't found a schematic yet but that explains some test results I've gotten with them (sum of cells is less than combined output). it's supposed to be a protection circuit....which is good if it worked well and has me wondering how many folks have thrown away good batteries because of this.</div><div></div><div>I've also looked at these stock balance charger schematics...most will balance fine UNTIL one cell gets completely charged. It's the design of the circuit. Even more expensive chargers can do this to some degree but they can bleed the applied current off to that cell via a load on the balance plug. But all in all, it's sure nice to have the power of this technology ; )</div><div></div><div>R/B I crash my BOL almost every time....it just an't fly upside down no matter how hard I try! BUZ has good advice but DO use airilion with a cp turn ; )</div><div></div><div>Ken</div><div></div><div></div>
Old 03-25-2010, 08:23 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: sgbfly
ORIGINAL: Buz
Do I have to make another one of these? [>:] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR0pTRjNBow
Yes please! But please don't compress the life out of it
Hey again R/B,

I have tried sending emails to all of the Esky contacts re. 2.4G BOL without Transmitter I can and never got anything back - not even a polite "received your message" - so I have no choice but to "niggle" Even tried rc711.com contact us page..........nothing - nada - zilch - zero - (you get the picture[sm=wink_smile.gif])
Subliminal - I don't think so![sm=regular_smile.gif]

Hey again Buzz,

We can never get to many videos of your flying.

Do all of the BOLs that you own (and perform "3D" flying with) have plastic head parts? If yes, then I think the amount of play that plastic provides is better than a stiffer metal upgrade for extreme maneuvers..... Maybe you could test out this theory?????

P.S. Do you practice those moves on a sim before trying them for real?
Old 03-25-2010, 08:26 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Ddaddy
LOL...you guys are a hoot!
More on these batteries, eflite has some circuitry in the batteries
I've also looked at these stock balance charger schematics...most will balance fine UNTIL one cell gets completely charged. It's the design of the circuit. Even more expensive chargers can do this to some degree but they can bleed the applied current off to that cell via a load on the balance plug. But all in all, it's sure nice to have the power of this technology ; )
R/B I crash my BOL almost every time....it just an't fly upside down no matter how hard I try! BUZ has good advice but DO use airilion with a cp turn ; )
Hey again Ken,

Always interesting & informative. Please keep us informed of what else you find out.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:51 PM
pgroom_68

Hey again all,

OK. IT has been long enough for you'll to play with the Key Cams......
Now, I have a question for all of you with [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150399006119&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3563wt_908]key fob cams[/link].

What is the concensus of the group as to the BEST mounting solution for same??

Is it: double-mounts to the outside of the fuse? (top or bottom of fuse - as the fuse is kinda already independent of vibrations)
Foam surrounded cradle screwed beneath bird and between skids?
Foam cradle (Simon's idea) - made from what?? cardboard, sponge-foam/packing foam, glue & toothpicks??
Wrap a kitchen sponge around it / slice a slit in a kitchen sponge & push cam through, then attach whole thing to undercarriage??
Other?

There has got to be a way that we all agree is the best!

P.S. Whatever you do - DON'T forget to tie the cam casing to the bird - so if it does get loose it won't plumet to the ground
Old 03-26-2010, 12:00 AM
aircrash

Hi Peter,

I don`t know if it`s the best, I have only tried this.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...tion%3Dgallery

You can see that I have placed a foam sponge under the battery and between the skids. At the front it has an opening, like a slot, for the camera. I used a cutter to make this slot.
I used a strange foam sponge, it is meant for automobile use, it is behind a bumber to absorb light contact.

Now when I had used it on the smooth operated modded BOL the video is nice. When I had placed it on the brushed BOL the video was poor. Even if the brushed BOL seems it is as smooth with no vibrations.

But Ithink except of vibrations out of the shaft`s wobble (and/or motor or gears) they key is:
a) the canopy to the heavy BOL is not shaking, while the fuselage of the brushed BOLcan.
b) the heavy BOL needs a higher head speed. So it spins its gears at higher rpm, thus making different frequency vibrations and/or less vibrations. (even if we don`t see the vibrations they are there)
c) the heavy BOLhas a large gap between the gears and the camera, out of the custom battery tray.

But I think the most important to the difference I saw is out of the different rpm.

Spiros
Old 03-26-2010, 01:01 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: aircrash
Hi Peter,
I don`t know if it`s the best, I have only tried this.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...tion%3Dgallery
You can see that I have placed a foam sponge under the battery and between the skids. At the front it has an opening, like a slot, for the camera. I used a cutter to make this slot.
I used a strange foam sponge, it is meant for automobile use, it is behind a bumber to absorb light contact.
Now when I had used it on the smooth operated modded BOL the video is nice. When I had placed it on the brushed BOL the video was poor. Even if the brushed BOL seems it is as smooth with no vibrations.
But I think except of vibrations out of the shaft`s wobble (and/or motor or gears) they key is:
a) the canopy to the heavy BOL is not shaking, while the fuselage of the brushed BOL can.
b) the heavy BOL needs a higher head speed. So it spins its gears at higher rpm, thus making different frequency vibrations and/or less vibrations. (even if we don`t see the vibrations they are there)
c) the heavy BOL has a large gap between the gears and the camera, out of the custom battery tray.
But I think the most important to the difference I saw is out of the different rpm.
First cab off the rank - Spiros! I think I can see what you are meaning. Auto foam eh? Is it spongy enough? I agree that the diff. RPM (especially higher) would vary the harmonics of the vibration.........

Anyone else tried and think they have a / the best solution

Old 03-26-2010, 01:07 AM
Edmund2

R/B &amp; Simon, I did enjoy the flying with both L4 and BOL as there was <u>no</u> wind at all, 1 Lipo each and not even a scratch on anything. Drew a bit of a crowd in the parking lot but it was only basic flying being performed with both. Liked the FFF of the BOL as it was the first time I could crank full throttle and forward without having to dodge anything. L4 was still up to it's tricks but Tony's advice helped when turning it.

Just made it back home and had the BOL safely in it's hiding place when the Missus drove into the garage. Not too surpisedwhen she commented that there is very little duston the floor as the blades of both helis are doing the cleanup for me.

Edmund2
Old 03-26-2010, 03:14 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Edmund2
R/B & Simon, I did enjoy the flying with both L4 and BOL as there was <u>no</u> wind at all, 1 Lipo each and not even a scratch on anything. Drew a bit of a crowd in the parking lot but it was only basic flying being performed with both. Liked the FFF of the BOL as it was the first time I could crank full throttle and forward without having to dodge anything. L4 was still up to it's tricks but Tony's advice helped when turning it.
Just made it back home and had the BOL safely in it's hiding place when the Missus drove into the garage. Not too surpised when she commented that there is very little dust on the floor as the blades of both helis are doing the cleanup for me.
Hey again Edmund,

Yip. You can work as a house cleaner if you have one of these birds

P.S. Good timing mate - she won't know. BTW, it is actually bad to draw a crowd 'cause the temptation is to show off and not be as careful with your model as usual. I'm happy that there was no damage - not even "a scratch"
Old 03-26-2010, 03:46 AM
Edmund2

R/B &amp; Simon, I did enjoy the flying with both L4 and BOL as there was <u>no</u> wind at all, 1 Lipo each and not even a scratch on anything. Drew a bit of a crowd in the parking lot but it was only basic flying being performed with both. Liked the FFF of the BOL as it was the first time I could crank full throttle and forward without having to dodge anything. L4 was still up to it's tricks but Tony's advice helped when turning it.
Just made it back home and had the BOL safely in it's hiding place when the Missus drove into the garage. Not too surpisedwhen she commented that there is very little duston the floor as the blades of both helis are doing the cleanup for me.
Hey again Edmund,

Yip. You can work as a house cleaner if you have one of these birds

P.S. Good timing mate - she won't know. BTW, it is actually bad to draw a crowd 'cause the temptation is to show off and not be as careful with your model as usual. I'm happy that there was no damage - not even "a scratch"
Not too unfamiliar with people wathcing me flying, but it has been 30 years plus ago when I flew Mirage 3 at a few military airshows around the country before I left the Airforce. Those were the days when I could stomach a vertical climb from 150 ft to 20,000 ft. Well that was a lifetime ago and still get goose bumps when I drive to work pass Johannnesburg International in the morning smelling the jet fuel.

Edmund
Old 03-26-2010, 07:40 AM
rikybob

R/B & Simon, I did enjoy the flying with both L4 and BOL as there was <u>no</u> wind at all, 1 Lipo each and not even a scratch on anything. Drew a bit of a crowd in the parking lot but it was only basic flying being performed with both. Liked the FFF of the BOL as it was the first time I could crank full throttle and forward without having to dodge anything. L4 was still up to it's tricks but Tony's advice helped when turning it.

Just made it back home and had the BOL safely in it's hiding place when the Missus drove into the garage. Not too surpised when she commented that there is very little dust on the floor as the blades of both helis are doing the cleanup for me.

Edmund2

Hi again Edmund2,

Glad you enjoyed your flight and happy to see no crashes!!!

Funny how the garage was cleaned up when "momma" got home!

My wife was sweeping off the front area of our "caravan" while on holiday and wondered how we got so many leaves "on" the outdoor carpet. I just smiled

Ahhhhh, flying a Mirage. THOSE must have been the dayz???

Best to you!

R/B
Old 03-26-2010, 07:45 AM
rikybob

Hey again all,

OK. IT has been long enough for you'll to play with the Key Cams......
Now, I have a question for all of you with [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150399006119&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3563wt_908]key fob cams[/link].

What is the concensus of the group as to the BEST mounting solution for same??

Is it: double-mounts to the outside of the fuse? (top or bottom of fuse - as the fuse is kinda already independent of vibrations)
Foam surrounded cradle screwed beneath bird and between skids?
Foam cradle (Simon's idea) - made from what?? cardboard, sponge-foam/packing foam, glue & toothpicks??
Wrap a kitchen sponge around it / slice a slit in a kitchen sponge & push cam through, then attach whole thing to undercarriage??
Other?

There has got to be a way that we all agree is the best!

P.S. Whatever you do - DON'T forget to tie the cam casing to the bird - so if it does get loose it won't plumet to the ground

Hi again Peter!

Well, your cajoling finally did it [link=http://static-p3.fotolia.com/jpg/00/07/53/86/400_F_7538632_4GSLqLiyyWgAS6nMWfC4bLvUwidaLXKG.jpg]here[/link] is the BOL package you have been waiting for!

But seriously now (as the stand up comedians are want to say):[8D]

I have tried three measures of camera securing and find no joy in any of them as even with brand new inner/outter and gears the devil shakes like it is possessed.[:'(]

I think the blades not being balanced and the need for decent cogs would go a long way, the latter mattering the the most.

Anyone use those new white cogs that are supposed to be so smooth???

Best to ya!

R/B
Old 03-26-2010, 08:33 AM
Edmund2

Flying that Delta Wing equipped with a Snegma Atar 09K50 engine with 15000 pounds of thrustwas a wonderfull experience. MACH2 even more so the few times I got permission to gothere. When Top Gun came out years ago I sat in the middlein the front row and enjoyed every minute of the flying scenes. Nowadays I watch it on my wide sceeen and know the whole script off by heart. However flying RC helis is another kettle of fish..

Well I am off to fly again and hope the link from home is OK as I tried to wach a few crashes last night but to get 18 seconds downloaded in 5 minutes was just to long to wait for the 8 minutes into the crash video posted this week.

Edmund2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.