Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 10:59 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

ORIGINAL: dougpeck

Sorry Bubba, I am using DA50R .. I know it is slow but am trying to sneak up on full bore giving engine plenty of time to break-in....I'm probably too conservative but haven't done any fix on wing problem yet ...
I would not be too conservative. I see where you've been doing this a long time so I intend no disrespect at all, but a DA50 running at 32:1 may end up fowling the plug pretty bad and you could end up with a stuck ring. The manual says to tune for peak RPM and back off a couple of hundred and tune the low engine for best transition. I have done this will lots of DA50's and all of them handle it just fine.

On a glow engine running it sloppy rich works well, on gas it could actually cause problems.

Again I mean no disrespect at all
Old 03-23-2007, 02:04 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mcmike

Thanks Bubbagates! That's just what I was looking for.
You're welcome!
Old 03-23-2007, 03:18 PM
iflywhenican
My Feedback: (1)

Today's question??? Why is it that you can run a weedeater engine, a chainsaw, a leafblower and numerous other implements operated by 2 cycle engines and never clean it, never change the plug until it gets so fouled it won't run, never clean the air filter, throw it around like it was yesterdays newspaper, and it just runs and runs without missing a single beat, but take the same engine and put a prop on it and it wouldn't run for crap?? [sm=biggrin.gif]

RMFLYFISH...you are welcome. Thats what we are here for...to share ideas and tricks. [sm=idea.gif]
Old 03-23-2007, 03:43 PM
arobatx

Not sure what this has to do with the Ultimate, but I'll play along anyway.... I think you'd be surprised at what brands of 'model' engines are simply chainsaw cylinders and cranks, some with fancy machined or cast cases, some with the stock ones. They're doing just fine with props on them

It was said recently that we should worry more about crashing our planes, than replacing parts in our gas engines. If they are even half way taken care of, they will outlast us.

and to keep this related to the Ultimate 1.60....I'm one of those with a garden equipment chainsaw engine in mine
Old 03-23-2007, 04:31 PM
bubbagates

Ben,

Could it be that weedeaters, leaf blowers and some chainsaws are far less expensive that some of the engines we pay for. At least that's how I look at it

I know when I pay $600 or more for my engines I take extra good care of them and BTW, I have the best running weedeater and leaf blower on the block How do you think I taught myself to tune a 2 stroke gas engine

I can't argue your point though. My weedeater is quite old and I'm not very careful about the oil mix let alone the brand being used. My blower is fairly new and it gets about the same treatment as my weedeater. Could you imagine a 100cc weedeater or a 150cc leaf blower [X(] or even a 4 cylinder 200cc chainsaw
Old 03-23-2007, 07:26 PM
iflywhenican

Well, my question was mainly just to poke a little fun at the way we DO take care of our hobby engines. My point is that, I, especially take better care of my Brison(s) and my Fuji better than I do my garden type engines, but they just keep running right along regardless with only a hint of maintenance.

Bill, Speaking of the 4 cylinder chainsaw, do you remember "Tim The Toolman Taylor" and his Chevy powered riding mower?

My Ultimate and my Skybolt are on charge for tomorrow. Temps are supposed to be in the 80's with little wind. [sm=tongue_smile.gif] There will probably be so many guys wanting to fly that we will have to draw numbers. Kinda sad note here though. I am the only one that is flying bipes at our site now. All the others (bipes) have been taken away by the law of gravity.
I am knocking on wood.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:42 PM
bubbagates

Yea, my first sentence was a little serious then it dawned on me that you were joking so hence the rest of the post

Depending on who you listen to we are suppose to either have rain all day, or only in the AM or on and off all day with temps in the mid 60's, Same for Sunday so MAYBE I'll get to fly.

In any case, the Ulti and 2.3m are all charged and ready to rock
Old 03-23-2007, 08:04 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

In lumberjack competitions the best use 500cc single cylinder motorcycle (converted) engines. Now...that engine would be interesting on an airplane....wouldn't it?

Thanks
barry
Old 03-23-2007, 08:24 PM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

ok. just did it. Dropped the hammer on a GP Ultimate just a minute or two ago. Should be here by Tuesday (yeah, sometimes it's nice living only about a hundred miles from Tower). She's gonna get a Brison 3.2, all Hitec 5645's, Futaba rcvr. I plan on beefing up the joiners, as suggested, possibly adding some wires to it. Any other good suggestions?

mcmike
Old 03-23-2007, 08:26 PM
bubbagates

I wonder what size the DA 6 cylinder they did a couple of years back was. If you saw the Wildberry Tucson Shootout DVD's they showed a pic of it

I know 3W makes a 324cc. It's on the 75 pound Edge540 that is on Bill Hempel's web site under video's
Old 03-23-2007, 08:34 PM
bubbagates

mcmike,

just what was listed previously in the links. The rest is more personal preference. You should be fine on the 5645's as long as you use 6 volt. You definitely want to be a bit overkill and the Brison 3.2 couled with either a MSC22x8 (noisy) or a Vess 22B (very quiet) will make the thing a 3d monster, even at 16lbs it will not fly like it's 16lbs and mine is heavier than most

One other thing to mention is using different hinges (pin type) for the elevators but using them everywhere is not a bad thing. I'm on plane #2 and did not use the pinned ones on either one and so far (knock on balsa) I've been lucky and I hammer mine into walls and serious KE spins so the elevators take a pretty good beating

We also posted how to balance it without the wings on which makes it tons easier, did you catch that?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:14 PM
dougpeck

None taken, Bubba ! This is the first real expensive gasser I have ever had so I welcome all the input I can get . I'll lean the carb tomorrow till I get peak rpm ... I sure don't want to cause problems on engine !
Old 03-24-2007, 07:08 AM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

I've got a vess ordered, and will go 6 volt with 5945's (stupid fingers!) so I''ll have plenty of servos. I missed the balancing without the wing bit. but that's a trick I've used for years with bipes. Get a good balance point with the wings on, take 'em off, see where it is then and use that as a 'base point'. I'll see if I can find the post tho...
thanks!
mcmike
Old 03-24-2007, 08:23 AM
bubbagates

mcmike,

after you get it all assembles, put on the carrying handle (there is one in the kit that you make)measure anywhere from 1 inch to 1.5 inches from the back bolt. That range is your balance. I'll see if I can find the posts

I found the post

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4855801
Old 03-24-2007, 08:27 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Bill, I think we figured out 1.25" forward from the rear cabane bolt was a good, solid, non-pitching setup....the freakin' search function here is SOOOOO Lame...

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

mcmike,

after you get it all assembles, put on the carrying handle (there is one in the kit that you make)measure anywhere from 1 inch to 1.5 inches from the back bolt. That range is your balance. I'll see if I can find the posts

Old 03-24-2007, 08:35 AM
bubbagates

Bob,

Yea the search function bites and that's when it's working. I did find the post and edited my last one then I went and edited the a1pcfixer post to add it to it. (benefits of being the mod in this thread)

a1pcfixer, I hope you don't mind that I edited the thread with all the links and added the balancing tip

I'm at one inch and if you look at the post after I posted the pics of mine you can see my description which said

Just for the record, at my measurements, when I do a 45 degree upline inverted with a full tank and let go of the stick, the plane takes about 15 second to drop the nose enough to be level. At 10 minutes into it the tank, it never drops the nose, so I am slightly nose heavy when full and dead on at about 1/2 tank.
But I like mine very nuetral like that. 1.25 to 1.50 would be better for the first flights. Even at those points she still slows to a crawl
Old 03-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Bob Pastorello

Bill - the dimension *is* referenced to the rear cabane bolt, right?

Bob,

Yea the search function bites and that's when it's working. I did find the post and edited my last one then I went and edited the a1pcfixer post to add it to it. (benefits of being the mod in this thread)

a1pcfixer, I hope you don't mind that I edited the thread with all the links and added the balancing tip

I'm at one inch and if you look at the post after I posted the pics of mine you can see my description which said

Just for the record, at my measurements, when I do a 45 degree upline inverted with a full tank and let go of the stick, the plane takes about 15 second to drop the nose enough to be level. At 10 minutes into it the tank, it never drops the nose, so I am slightly nose heavy when full and dead on at about 1/2 tank.
But I like mine very nuetral like that. 1.25 to 1.50 would be better for the first flights. Even at those points she still slows to a crawl
Old 03-24-2007, 12:42 PM
bubbagates

Bob,

yes they are, if you click on the link, it takes you to the pics that I took while measuring it. You can easily see just how and where I measured it from. I actually just got back from doing another 4 flights on it between rain showers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84595.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	648799  
Old 03-24-2007, 08:14 PM
iflywhenican

82 degrees here today. Needless to say, we flew the afternoon away...."poet and don't knowit"... Tomorrow (Sun) is supposed to be a carbon copy of today...the Ultimate and Skybolt are on charge again for another good "wringing-out."

We even had a visit by a full scale glider that had ran out of thermals and had to land.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Bob Pastorello

Thanks, Bill. That reminded me.... that I had to check mine.... it was a tad NH.
Appreciate the pic.

ifly - Would you take our 25+ winds, near solid overcast and gusts for a few days?????
[&o]

Bob,

yes they are, if you click on the link, it takes you to the pics that I took while measuring it. You can easily see just how and where I measured it from. I actually just got back from doing another 4 flights on it between rain showers
Old 03-24-2007, 09:08 PM
bubbagates

Ben,

Did you guys lend that poor sail plane pilot some thermals so he could get back to the airport??? Or did someone have a gas powered Telemaster to tow him back into the air

They changed our forecast for tomorrow. It was 35mph gusts all day with mid 60's now it's high 50's with 5 - 10 mph winds. Wanna guess where I'll be

Bob,

No problem on the pic...[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 03-25-2007, 08:28 AM
iflywhenican

ORIGINAL: aerobob

Thanks, Bill. That reminded me.... that I had to check mine.... it was a tad NH.
Appreciate the pic.

ifly - Would you take our 25+ winds, near solid overcast and gusts for a few days?????
[&o]

Bob,

Bob....been there/done that...with the high winds. We finally got a weekend with 5-10 mph winds and full sun...it was just plain HOT yesterday.

Bill...The glider pilot had to get a special trailer to rescue him. The trailer probably cost about as much as the glider...NEAT!!!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 09:23 AM
arobatx

Bob and Bubba,

Balancing using the carrying handle....I assume the bottom wing is not installed either, correct?
Old 03-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Bob Pastorello

Nope. No wings, but cowl, spinner, prop, empty tank. Fuse otherwise complete, RTF.
Very reliable comparitive method, and I use a 1" dowel to lift the carrying handle at 90* to the handle. VERY precise, believe me.

ORIGINAL: arobatx

Bob and Bubba,

Balancing using the carrying handle....I assume the bottom wing is not installed either, correct?
Old 03-26-2007, 09:32 AM
bubbagates

Like Bob said, no wings installed. I never thought of the dowel trick, cool idea and a whole lot more precise than my finger and easier on it as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.