Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 07:11 AM
rikybob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

Edmund,

I am screwed too on the wind!

Spiros,

I hope the wind lays for ya!

R/B
Old 04-11-2010, 07:12 AM
aircrash

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

You demonstrate great faith in your balance chargers - I take other precautions also so I don't "risk the house"[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Hi Peter, yes, even if li-po batteries are dangerous I have faith to the chargers.
Cause they are sold in millions and there`s no sign they are unreliable.
As I trust charging my netbook battery.
Of course that does not mean I do not take care. I trust them but not blindful.

I charge the batteries to the balcony, so the cat may get in fire in the worst case (hey, it`s not my cat, she just comes to sit relaxed to my chairs, and I keep cleaning all the time, who told her it is safe here?).
And if I charge them inside the house then I`m watching them and they are on the floor with no flamable materials near.

PS. I do love pets. But I can`t make her understand it is not safe here. Who knows, one day she may slip on some grease I got out of the BOL... (I must close the balcony somehow she can`t get here anyway).

Spiros
Old 04-11-2010, 07:18 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: aircrash
Hello everybody,
I said I could share how I charge my batteries.
Such a solution can make your flying skills better (well, do not put your money on this) as it will let you have more batteries available in fully charged condition = more flights per day = more practice ( = more crashes [img][/img] ).
Of course take care!
Hey again Spiros,

Think very carefully about what I am about to say. IF one of the lipos in your lipo charging bag catches fire (God forbid), THEN you will destroy more than just that one lipo - instead all of the others also![&o]

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
P.S. Sorry to be a ''wet blanket''[sm=red_smile.gif]
P.P.S. Don't you find that the lipo meter gives a false reading when connected to the charger? I do. The Y-adapters are a VERY good idea and should be commercially available - I've finished soldering one - they are very fiddly........[sm=confused_smile.gif]
I knew this was coming. I need about a dozen bags. I think that I will prolly only charge at most 4 at a time and will buy another bag to store lipos. I dunno. My bench looks goofy as it is. But FIRE=BAD!

Thanks for being a good conscience Peter as my charging method is just like Spiros (only not as tidy)

R/B

PS cool alley vids Spiros. Looks like you were battling a breeze!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:35 AM
sgbfly

Hi Spiros,

Just watch your vids. May I suggest Avenues and Alleyways by Tony Christie for the night flying vid

Good stuff mate More please

Simon
Old 04-11-2010, 07:55 AM
aircrash

Hi Simon,

Thank you for you kindness. The flying sux -I know- I can`t even make going round as I could once upon a time, but one cause is I have to fly a long time, the other this bird is not flying well. The hunting season is over now, else I would let this bird be a hunter`s choise.
I made some adjustments, and while I cook, making smashed potatoes, I gave a try to the brushless BOL.
After I had extended the shaft to 30mm (from 15mm) I found there was a bad vibration and the upper blades did not track good. Even the gyro was confused and made it a weirdo.
I adjusted the flybar link rod and I think it is OKnow.
So, if I manage to go flying then I`ll shoot a video. It can`t be worse from those, so I`m confident.
It will be the first flight with a +30mm inner shaft.

I gave it a go indoors and holy cow, this bird has power...

PS. who knows, maybe cleaning and cooking can make them better!
Ahh, this cat, I forgot! -Here`s the solution, the bait and the punisher.

See you later.

Spiros
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22498.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1416008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36714.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1416009  
Old 04-11-2010, 08:38 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: rikybob
ORIGINAL: aircrash
Hello everybody,
I said I could share how I charge my batteries.
Such a solution can make your flying skills better (well, do not put your money on this) as it will let you have more batteries available in fully charged condition = more flights per day = more practice ( = more crashes [img][/img] ).
Of course take care!
Hey again Spiros,
Think very carefully about what I am about to say. IF one of the lipos in your lipo charging bag catches fire (God forbid), THEN you will destroy more than just that one lipo - instead all of the others also![&o]
P.S. Sorry to be a ''wet blanket''[sm=red_smile.gif]
P.P.S. Don't you find that the lipo meter gives a false reading when connected to the charger? I do. The Y-adapters are a VERY good idea and should be commercially available - I've finished soldering one - they are very fiddly........[sm=confused_smile.gif]
I knew this was coming. I need about a dozen bags. I think that I will prolly only charge at most 4 at a time and will buy another bag to store lipos. I dunno. My bench looks goofy as it is. But FIRE=BAD!
Thanks for being a good conscience Peter as my charging method is just like Spiros (only not as tidy)
PS cool alley vids Spiros. Looks like you were battling a breeze!
Hey again guys,

I viewed the neat set-up of Spiros' and it struck me that if a fire started inside that bag it would destroy them all - that's all! If he is OK with replacing all the lipos again - that's OK by me.............
I guess what I am saying is the lipos get hot when discharging - but are most dangerous when charging........ On saying that IF YOU TAKE ALL THE PRECAUTIONS there is not much to worry about - afterall, lipo batteries have been used in cell phones for years. Do you carry one about in your pocket and hold it near your head and worry

So be careful - not afraid![sm=49_49.gif]

P.S. It is approaching midnight here now - so goodnight all.......I DO SLEEP[sm=teeth_smile.gif][sm=tired.gif]
Old 04-11-2010, 08:57 AM
sgbfly

Hi R/B,

Does this count as tinkering?

Hi Spiros,

Cute pics! My BOL says Hi!

Simon

Name:	Pn35291.jpg
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1416021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40434.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1416022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23997.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1416023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89791.jpg
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1416024  
Old 04-11-2010, 09:03 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: sgbfly

Hi R/B,

Does this count as tinkering? [img][/img]

Hi Spiros,

Cute pics! My BOL says Hi!

Simon [img][/img]
Simon,

Cool stuff! Are the cars fun?? I heard a gas one in my neighborhood the other day. Couldn't investigate though! The last photo with the stuffed animal was funny. Is that a "baby monitor" I see???

R/B
Old 04-11-2010, 09:21 AM
sgbfly

Hi R/B,

Yes mate, the cars are great fun. This one (xtm rage) is a little cracker. Two problems; 1) Its bust! and 2) Its not mine. It belongs to a friend & I said I would try and work out whats wrong so thats why you can see me trying and Esky rx and tx. Turns out he needs a new rx. He has just ordered the brushless version & I think I'm more excited about his purchase than he is lol. tbh I find the helicopters more rewarding but the turn of speed the cars have is impressive.

Yep baby monitor. My 2 Nephews 1 & 3 years, occasionally come over. Can you see the picture the 3 year old (Ben) painted for me of my old VW? (3rd pic)

Simon
Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Leethetreeguy

I am attempting to upload a video of my comanche BOL BL copter. It is a embarassing video. I crash it in the first few secounds. Check it out, and then fly. You will hopefully see it flying well. And then...death spiral. Hope the video shows it. I took it with my modded sunglass cam. The crash at the end was from about 30 or 40' up. I will post this video for ya'll's entertainment. I am trying to find all the parts for a repair attempt. But one piece of the skids eludes me. Oh well. Still looking. haha. Happy Flying everyone. Lee
Old 04-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Sky Soldier

Hey Ya'll,

I don't have a shop to post pics of. My dining table is my work area and computing station. I sacrifice some things to enjoy my mobile lifestyle. Shipping can be a problem if I'm not parked in an area long-term and I usually pay extra for fast shipping. It seems I only get to order stuff when Spiros takes a holiday from shopping and allow the sites to re-stock.

Peter,

I agree with you about the lipo sack. Anything in there when a battery pops is toast. I still need to get the balance plug extensions to move my balancer further away from the sack so the flash coming out of the explosion vents won't scorch it too. Thanks for the link you provided for those in an earlier post. This won't matter to Spiros as he has, like, 1000 lipo's and 4000 blade sets!

However, I disagree about cell phone batts. They are Li-ion and don't have exposed wiring and so the danger factor is less.

Simon,

That is certainly a trusting friend to let you experiment on his car. Are you trying to mount an esky rx on it? I have a 1/10 scale 4x4 monster truck. Not really a good one and only goes about 40mph. Some of the BL ones will move at 60-70mph. The Ni-Mh batt, @4200 mah, gives me about 15 min of hard running.

The tease about the mystery bird and heli tree hugging video has me waiting in excited anticipation!

Calm winds and carefree flying to all,
Jerry

Old 04-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Leethetreeguy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwTT46GwBa0

This is my first attemp at posting a video on this forum. Please excuse if it dosn't work. Happy Flying everyone. Lee
Old 04-11-2010, 10:41 AM
sgbfly

Hi Lee,

Although I take no pleasure from a crash, I'm looking forward to your vid. Just finished adding a healthy blob of hot glue to my spare rx. The esky ek2-0426 only weighs 6.5g and its destined for a foamie (or BOL #2). All my other Esky rx's have some hot melt added at factory. This one had not

Hi Jerry,

I just have to say "Simon sez" and I can be trusted with anything . The car was dead and I was trying to decide if he needed a new rx or esc. Turns out it was the rx. This little car is good for 20mph on NiMH or 30mph on a lipo. Not bad for a 1/18. The great thing about this car is its suspension and handling. When the BL version comes it promises 30mph+ on NiMH and more from a lipo or different pinion gear. Can't wait

The vid might have to wait a couple of days - sorry

Simon

edit: Lee, use the Youtube button on this forum & insert your link between the 2 sets of square brackets if you want to embed your video. Its not auto embed like RCGroups. Watching now!

Name:	Wu60658.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1416066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85713.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1416067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20645.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	1416068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97656.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1416069  
Old 04-11-2010, 10:49 AM
sgbfly

ORIGINAL: Leethetreeguy

This is my first attemp at posting a video on this forum. Please excuse if it dosn't work. Happy Flying everyone. Lee
Hi Lee,

Sorry to see the crash, but omg that's one of the best vids posted into this thread!

Great commentary

Simon

Old 04-11-2010, 11:14 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Leethetreeguy

(Please accept my following prose in the tounge-in-cheekyness that it is intended)

Lee,

Great videos, several observations:

1) Wasn't a little early for Vermouth?
2) That's MY cooler[X(]
3) Are you taking Buzz lessons of flight with reckless abandonment?
4) You ARE a funny, maniac!

Seriously, I echo Simon, that is the coolest, most uncomfortable to watch (so I had to watch it three times) video I have seen in a while!

I have only followed you in a cursery manner from the other fourms but not I have to watch ALL your videos![&:]

Best to ya!

Rikybob

Old 04-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Buz

Lee,

Welcome to the 100 ft high club! That was a nice flight.... the landing, needs work though. LOL

Ok, someone said the CB100 could not be flown outdoors. That is absolutely not true... I tried to get Videowife to get it on the camera... and, well... she did, sort of. This little thing is so small she lost track of it. I'll try to upload part of it just to show you that the little CB100 handles outdoors as well as the BOL. You'll see me land in the hedge...a sudden wind gust got me. Lee and I have that in common.
I'll get a much better video today... but there is enough here to to say, "Don't open your mouth lest you stick your foot in it"....

You REALLY want pictures of my work area? That will be ugly! Anyway, here's the CB100 flying outside in a bit of wind, if I can get it uploaded.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiE4Q29HQaY[/youtube]

Buzz
Old 04-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Sky Soldier

Hi guys,

Sorry to post these here, but tried to PM Simon with them and they wouldn't upload. Said they were too large. Same size pics here. What's up with that?

Jerry

Name:	Tr49676.jpg
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	1416100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21545.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	1416101  
Old 04-11-2010, 12:05 PM
sgbfly

Hi Jerry,

No problem - funny thing is I've just pm'd and emailed you I was afk for dinner until just now (Not chicken R/B, so you can rest easy )

I'm going to do a vid oneday of BOL v RC car. Need to find a little more space so I can really crank the BOL up.

(see how I brought it back on topic )

It looks a cool truck.

Simon
Old 04-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Leethetreeguy

Thanks for the compliments ya'll. I posted that video (though embarassing) to prove that this copter can take a beating. Bent flybar, battery tray busted but fixable, and skids are thru with because I couldn't find one more piece. Dang. Think I'll go out and fly another soon. Happy Flying. Lee
Old 04-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Buz

Ok, after having to convert the video file twice... I got the first part of it to work.

I finally got it uploaded and it's posted above if you missed it before. I honestly think this is the next step up to single rotor flight. Once trimmed correctly, it is very stable and although a bit different than flying the BOL, it's easy to pick up flying with a tail rotor that actually works. I only have one battery pack for it, so I have to get more. Check these things out... well worth the money and a real hoot to fly.

Buzz
Old 04-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Leethetreeguy

I have read on many threads about the BOL set collar being glued at the factory, and a real pain to remove. I was not looking forward to this at all. Was heating up a soldering iron to melt the glue, and Miss Tina stopped me. Saying "Lee, what the heck are you about to do?" She used to work for a jewerly store in Winder and learned that if you breath in Melted Glue Fumes, you die. They apparentlly are very dangerous and hazardous to our health. So, be carefull doing that everyone. I prayed over the dang thing and then took my best effort to it. I smoothly and paientlly applied even pressure to it. And bam, it came loose. I am very happy about this. hahahahaha. Happy Flying all. Lee
Old 04-11-2010, 02:56 PM
aircrash

Hello there,

I managed to go flying a bit.
The modded BOL needs some balancing. After the +30mm extended shaft it does not hover at all, sometimes goes back and forth.
Not a flyable bird. It needs stick input all the time to get it stable. It was going great with the +15mm shaft though.
I have to see more than the 2 minutes I gave it a look at the afternoon.

The other bird, which was weirdo too, now flies very good. It took me 4 minutes, to change the blade and adjust the flybar.
Let`s see what it can do with a good swashplate.
But even with this performance I`m satisfied.

Hey after the morning flight I finally remembered a bit how to fly. I had totally forgot.
Now I made a *nose in, both sides, going round, and so on. I can be better though, if only I went flying more. There was a time I had a lot better flights.
*I`m on the left side as how we see the video.
But I`m frightened in this alley. Too small space with foreign property (those cars).

Here we go, the brushed BOL finally flies (a bit).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34b4dO0eSEQ[/youtube]

And the modded brushless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qHXdg2-ZW0

Spiros
Old 04-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Leethetreeguy

Nice video Spiros. I just managed to remove the upper rotor head. Hahahaha. I am having a great day today. Now, I am awaiting the glue to dry. Then it is rebuild time. Hoping to get one in the air today. But doubt that. The glue needs a little more time to dry, then I can build it and the screws will hold the glued parts together. LOL. Lee
Old 04-11-2010, 04:29 PM
aircrash

Hi Lee,

Thank you!
Good luck on rebuilding the bird.

Now Jerry, you have to rush! I bought another li-po safe bag, well, I did not want one, but got it. I saved 1€ on shipping cost, saved 3€ total out of all the items I got.
I hope there`s something left for you.
-Spiros
Old 04-11-2010, 04:38 PM
sgbfly

Hi Everyone,

What a great day we're having: Lee's stunning debut vid into this thread, three from Spiros & a rare treat from Buzz. Thanks to all for taking the time to share. I know its not always as simple as it should be to edit and upload a vid. (clapping smiley) to all!

Lee, Was that a ordinary key fob cam you used to shoot your video? Reason I ask is because it looked to have a wider angle of view than mine. All too often I miss the action with mine stuck to my cap! As an aside, I have read that these add on lenses give reasonable results and better than the more common Jelly Lenses. Love the look of the full Skytec setup.

Buzz, Got to agree with ya. That CB100 looks a real treat

Spiros, Wow! That second vid was good. I can tell your a little cautious with your BL pride and joy but that's understandable. You should have made those cars wait!

Night All!

Simon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.