Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 03:37 PM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

I guess we have it better than I thought at our club. Unlimited size and noise levels. All types of aircraft are allowed. The closest residence is almost 1/4 mile away and he is a club member to boot.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:48 PM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are club is real similar to that we also have it zoned to fest dynamite.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:15 PM
Glowgeek

Testing dynamite at our field could cause a turd shower. Lol
Old 10-05-2019, 04:19 PM
Jesse Open

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

We had a, sandy landfill field at the Skymasters club in the 1980s We thought nobody would ever want it.Residences were well out and away.Had a chance to buy it but the club felt there was no way to lose it. Still, many pleasant memories of that old dump. Aside from too many too loud planes.
Turned out the junkyard next door was more than interested and needed the room. They now have it.

I like reasonable noise limits. As do the other members at our club. Those straight piped X-40 Super Tigre midgets are thankfully long gone.May they rust and rot forever.
Hearing is a valuable asset.
As are happy neighbors
Old 10-05-2019, 07:00 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm not prejudice, the 2 stroke is what it is, an engine, and I love engines, so I love it for what it is

Jim
Old 10-05-2019, 07:13 PM
the Wasp

my K&B 100 ABC and my OS 70sz Ringed Heli engine mod'ed for planes

Jim
Old 10-06-2019, 01:48 AM
Jesse Open

As I am often bitterly reminded by anti YS bigots, when I bring up YS. "This IS a Saito thread". Saito made one two stroke before coming to their senses. Now they only make four strokes.

No prejudice here either. The fact is that most people don't like the sound they make. Making them louder doesn't help.
Nothing against the engines, until some nit wit runs one.

Old 10-06-2019, 04:15 AM
Glowgeek

I try to be conscientious of what may bother fellow flyers and spectators. My engines are broken in and tuned before I leave for the field. A little tweak on the needle for the first flight is all it takes. What bugs me is when someone tunes and tunes and tunes on the bench for 5 or 10 minutes before every flight. That and debugging engine trouble for 30 minutes on the bench before they finally give up and go home. Doesn't matter whether it's a Saito or a 2 stroke, that's just plain annoying. Once a plane is in the air I enjoy all types of engine noise.

Seems to me that those same annoying needle twirlers are the ones dead sticking all the time. What's worse is that they many times put the rest of us at risk during their panicked attempts to reach the runway.

Saitos: What deadsticks?
Old 10-06-2019, 05:24 AM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can tell a lot about a pilot by how he reacts to a dead stick.
I can’t believe the guys who have been flying for years and go into complete meltdown when there engine quit’s running, there the ones who crash when they so call dead stick.
Then there the ones that don’t meltdown but don’t know how to fly the plane when the engine dies and then they crash.
But then you have the guys who embrace the situation and put the plane on the runway or land it in the field unscathed.
Me I fly tell I run out off fuel or I will kill the engine on purpose just to improve my skill’s. But that I usually do after I know the plane.

Also I agree the tweaker just drives me nuts spend an hour make a bunch of noise and then pack it up and go home.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:55 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts

I'm like you guys I don't get tweakers at all. Get the engine running close to peak, get a good idle and transition and then leave it alone! Its not broke so don't fix it! As for YS engines they are a good well made engine period I just have a preference for Saitos. I have one Magnum 4 cycle don't think I have ever ran it. I also like 2 cycles I have a bunch of smaller OS, Super Tigre, and Enya engines that I use. I even have a couple of Thunder Tigers (the price was almost nothing) and except for a week point where the needle valve screws into the carb body they are OK.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:44 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
You can tell a lot about a pilot by how he reacts to a dead stick.
I can’t believe the guys who have been flying for years and go into complete meltdown when there engine quit’s running, there the ones who crash when they so call dead stick.
Then there the ones that don’t meltdown but don’t know how to fly the plane when the engine dies and then they crash.
But then you have the guys who embrace the situation and put the plane on the runway or land it in the field unscathed.
Me I fly tell I run out off fuel or I will kill the engine on purpose just to improve my skill’s. But that I usually do after I know the plane.

Also I agree the tweaker just drives me nuts spend an hour make a bunch of noise and then pack it up and go home.
Had a couple of them at the Flyin. Can't hear yourself think with the tuning and tuning and tuning, then they get it to the runway and it quits. Then back to tuning. I had to do that once with the DLE20 on the 4*, then forgot to fill the tank and dead sticked. Brought it in though, but it was close. The only dead stick I was unable to get to the runway was the Rascal, lack of experience with that particular plane was the only reason why. Funny though, I had a dead stick the very first flight and got it down, but it wasn't a very windy day like it was when it went in. If I had more stick time on that plane, I would have greased it in. Seems my best smoothest landings are unpowered.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:10 AM
Glowgeek

An interesting thing happened with my FA82 Friday, it was lean 3 clicks on the HSN. I've never had a new engine go lean after a 1-1/2 gl. of fuel. I vacuum and pressure tested the fuel lines and tank, checked for debris and checked flow rates, everything looks fine. Same fuel, prop and plug. The needle position had not been changed since the previous outing and climate conditions were very similar.

As a new engine continues to break in over time it suffers less frictional losses and the ring seats better so it becomes more efficient, or should. In the past that has always required periodical leaning of the fuel mix. Something is awry.

Maybe the ring rotated around the piston to a less efficient position?
Old 10-06-2019, 07:27 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Cooler day Maybe?
Old 10-06-2019, 07:38 AM
Glowgeek

Only 8° cooler.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:10 PM
the Wasp

I don't mind people tuning or working on their engines at the field, I figure most pilots have neighbors. as for dead stick'ing, done that enough with that dang OS 61FX, but NEVER again LOL. the thing is with our field we only have one strip, we don't have a cross wind strip, so that makes it harder to get a plane down safe when it dead sticks

I saw a never started OS 95V for $180 shipped last night on RCG, I wanted to buy it but I just could not bring myself to snag it. I'm betting it's sold..

hey Pete, I had a guy asking me about my Heli parts, he didn't want to pay $235 shipped, there must be over $500 in parts. he said he only needed 3 parts, and he didn't want the rest of the other parts just setting around. I told him that "the parts wont be setting around if he crashes, and all Helis crash"... LOL he has not replied back LOL
I had another guy that asked me about them, but he has not been active on the site since he asked, that was 28 days ago. if I sell them I will buy that 70" Ryan STA Tower has

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 10-06-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:28 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Cooler day Maybe?
Dave three clicks is a big change when the engine is tuned well, as i'm sure it was lonnie. Did you leave the bar fridge in the shed unlocked one night, the little tuning pixies (gremlins) can be quite be a bother

I'm sure we all do things at the field that can annoy others. My favourite gripe is people who have a plane that won't idle long enough to line up in the cue on the only taxi strip to the runway. You know his engine is going to conk out in 30 seconds, he's not carrying anything to restart it and your stuck behind him. A long time ago someone here posted a vid of this cowboy showing off to his mates tuning some big fourstroke single glow engine, could have been an fa180, anyway he was standing in front of the engine tuning it by reaching around the large prop while the plane was up on a stand. By tuning i mean he was winding the hsn a full quarter turn one way then the other while the engine was at full throttle, it threw the prop and gave him what i think you guys call a good upslap to the side of the head.

ps jim you are kindhearted so i shouldn't suggest this, ok i will. If i had any heli/two stroke parts in my shed i'd post them to someone i don't like, like club heli pilots.

pps lonnie if you'd like to test dynamite at a field i have an address for you.

Last edited by Rudolph Hart; 10-07-2019 at 02:31 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:47 AM
Hobbsy

Super Tigre 4500 and LA .10
Yes sir, at least 150 rpm when all is well. Even so, I'm not much of a worrier, 3 clicks would not get my attention. Nor rattle my calm demeanor, my wife says that If our house ever caught fire I'd make coffee while I called 911.

Running my Super Tigre 4500 Davis Diesel conversion would cause the Tuning Pixies to flee.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 10-07-2019 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Add content
Old 10-07-2019, 04:33 AM
Jesse Open

I start engines at fast idle, return them to idle. Taxi out, line up on the runway and usually take off at about one third throttle. Rarely find any reason to touch needles, some planes go for years without touching the settings.

Yesterday I brought out my old Great Planes Super Chipmunk. Has an old YS FZ 120. It hasn't been started for four years. Fired right up and runs perfect. Didn't touch the settings at all.
Taking it to the field today.

Saito and even more so, YS four stroke cycle engines seem to be very stable once set.

Another two stroke thing ; so many of the people who use them do indeed feel the need to peak and tweak. They don't even seem to realize it and when asked, they go into denial and claim they don't .

BULL!

super tiggers aint Saitos,The fuel only makes them smell worse .

Last edited by Jesse Open; 10-07-2019 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:04 AM
acdii

Two strokes are knuckle bashers. That needle is so close to the prop that one could easily smack their knuckles into the back of it. Angry Gophers on Crack is what I think of when a 2 stroke is running.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:09 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts

I always thought small 2 strokes sound a bit like two angry Bumble Bees in a tin can.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:16 AM
acdii

Being at a field where 2 stroke gas are flying, one would think they were on the set of the Red Green show.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:23 PM
Hobbsy

Sig has come through and is sending me a new fuselage for the Rascal 110, hooraw.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:24 PM
Glowgeek

Nothing compares to hearing a 2 stroke get on the pipe though. You either love it or hate it I guess.

Dave, great news. Good to hear Sig still has some customer service.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:29 PM
Glowgeek

Any of you Saito lovers have an old TT f91s laying around? I need a cylinder liner and tappet.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:09 PM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart
Dave three clicks is a big change when the engine is tuned well, as i'm sure it was lonnie. Did you leave the bar fridge in the shed unlocked one night, the little tuning pixies (gremlins) can be quite be a bother

I'm sure we all do things at the field that can annoy others. My favourite gripe is people who have a plane that won't idle long enough to line up in the cue on the only taxi strip to the runway. You know his engine is going to conk out in 30 seconds, he's not carrying anything to restart it and your stuck behind him. A long time ago someone here posted a vid of this cowboy showing off to his mates tuning some big fourstroke single glow engine, could have been an fa180, anyway he was standing in front of the engine tuning it by reaching around the large prop while the plane was up on a stand. By tuning i mean he was winding the hsn a full quarter turn one way then the other while the engine was at full throttle, it threw the prop and gave him what i think you guys call a good upslap to the side of the head.

ps jim you are kindhearted so i shouldn't suggest this, ok i will. If i had any heli/two stroke parts in my shed i'd post them to someone i don't like, like club heli pilots.

pps lonnie if you'd like to test dynamite at a field i have an address for you.
but they would love you for those parts LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.