Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Official Tamiya TT-01 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:38 PM
halls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Tamiya TT-01 Thread

is there any place in the usa for hop ups for the tt01 baside hong kong thank
Old 07-07-2008, 09:51 PM
SIRCC

YES THERE IS, WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79636.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	985985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82257.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	985986  
Old 07-07-2008, 09:59 PM
jp2_we_love_you

It depends on what you're looking for. Much of it CAN be found in the USA. But a lot of the extreme stuff (and as far as I know, ALL of the red stuff) has to be shipped from Hong Kong. It's cheapest at www.rcmart.com

They go strictly by weight to calculate shipping, and their prices are unbeatable.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:01 AM
halls

I was looking for some oil filled shocks? alloy rims and street tirers
Old 07-08-2008, 10:18 AM
jp2_we_love_you

Go to towerhobbies.com for the tires and shocks, just do a search for TT-01, and find a parts listing that has what you need (most of them have a "parts listing" link) follow this link for the search: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FVSEARCH=tt-01

As for the wheels, you may have to stay plastic, unless you get something with drift tires, because I haven't seen anything other than that. There's some on ebay right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamiya-TT-01-Dri...2em118Q2el1247

Hope this helps, ebay item is located in Nevada, and Tower Hobbies ships from either Nevada, or Illinois
Old 07-08-2008, 06:09 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

Im currently building another TT01 from my leftover parts from my modified one I just need a couple of minor parts like body mounts and to remember where I put some of the stuff[:'(] Heres a pics of the modified one

Name:	Jh17099.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	986517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58691.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	986518  
Old 07-25-2008, 03:33 AM
The Rigger

Hey,
New member here. I'm touring the country on the crew of a Broadway show and was cruising a LHS here in scenic "wherever-we-are-this-week" the other day in search of something to keep me occupied between cues while the show's running - there isn't a lot to do backstage, once we're set up & running. I'd built an old Tamiya R/C HMMVEE a million years ago when I was in high school (and had a blast chasing the cats around with it), so when I saw a bunch of TT-01 kits on sale I figured I'd get back into R/C - nothing more fun than a bag-o-parts and a couple of screwdrivers that become a pocket racer...

So the new ride is the Ferrrari FXX finished-body kit (which is *waaaay* sexy), coupled with a Futaba 2-channel rig (3003 servo) and a couple of 4500mah nimh 6-cell packs... I haven't started in on the build yet, as the theatre we're in in San Francisco is too small backstage to do much of anything. When the show moves on to the next city next week we'll be in a bigger theatre and will have room to set up all of our workboxes, so I'll finally have space enough to start the build-up. Scored a bunch of high-zoot hop-up parts to dink around with, but I'm gonna start with the bone-stock chassis/motor/ESC combo for now, and as I get more experienced with it, then move on to what I call "problems;" experimenting with steering & suspension upgrades. I've already got the ball race kit & alloy prop shaft & cups, which will *definitely* go into the first build, and also have the adjustable front-end parts, the aluminum damper upgrade kits, and a pair of ball diffs, but I think I'll hold off on those for a bit while I get a grip on how the OEM chassis responds... May go to oil dampers, may not, may set up a rally chasis... It's nice being able to afford to do pretty much anything I want with these little buggers.

the best part of this whole adventure is when I brought my FXX into work to load it into my workbox, a couple of other crew members saw it and got the R/C bug, and will be picking up their own TT-01 kits real soon. Looks like we'll have "crew race days" backstage & out in the theatre parking lots before long, and I'll be setting up one of my road boxes to be the backstage speed-&-custom overhaul shop - I can fit a buttload of spares & hop-up bits into one of the partitions in my main workbox. We're all into bashing & racing, not so much into drifting, I think - our stage manager would be somewhat less than happy with tiretracks burned in all over our stage floor, I think...

Anyway, I've waded through all 172 pages of the thread in the past four days. Lots of great info here, but I see a need for a FAQ, as a lot of questions get asked over and over and over and... Well, you know. But I just wanted to say howdy & thanks for all the info from the past couple of years; the depth of knowledge here is very impressive, and I hope to be able to contribute to it eventually. And one of these days I'll be back with photos of the first of what I'll bet will be a long series of "road-dog" TT-01 cars.

-Dave
Old 07-25-2008, 03:46 AM
The Rigger

ORIGINAL: halls

is there any place in the usa for hop ups for the tt01 baside hong kong
http://www.towerhobbies.com
Fair prices and brutally fast shipping.

-Dave
Old 07-25-2008, 05:35 AM
chrisestt01

Hey The Rigger, that is a great story. Thanks for sharing with us. Like many others I have also been away for some time only to return to one of the best hobbies ever. We look forward to reading more about your TT-01 adventures back stage.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:21 PM
The Rigger

Thanks, ChrisesTT01.

I should list all the bits I have to start with, on my FXX:

Tamiya E-type Aluminum Propeller Shaft & Joint kit
Tamiya Racing Ball Bearing Kit
Tamiya AV Pinion Gear Set 20T / 21T / 22T / 23T / 24T / 25T
Traxxas Pinion Gear 48P 28T
Tamiya Spur Gear Set 55T / 58T
Tamiya Ball Diff Kit (2) (with HPI Heavyweight Diff Gear Grease)
Tamiya Carbon Upper Frame
Tamiya Turnbuckle Tie-Rod Set
Tamiya Adjustable Upper Arm Kit
Tamiya Aluminum Toe-In Rear Uprights
Tamiya Low Friction Aluminum Damper Kit (2)
Tamiya Aluminum Motor Heat Sink
A Full Compliment of Deans Plugs

That oughtta keep me busy for a little while, experimenting around with the driveline. Eventually we'll start "working problems" with tires & motors & ESCs and the like, but for now the stock Tamiya bits will do.

-Dave

(P.S. Mad props to Franciscan Hobbies on Ocean Blvd. in San Francisco. Really fine LHS if you're local here)
Old 07-25-2008, 04:42 PM
The Rigger

ORIGINAL: osr
The long grass doesn't stop me anymore, now i just take it with me:

Alright, that's *funny*...

-Dave
Old 07-25-2008, 04:57 PM
The Rigger

ORIGINAL: chrisestt01
I have now fitted 40x65 which gives me a FDR of 4.2...

Woo... Is that a 40T pinion or 40T spur?

-Dave
(taking notes...)
Old 07-25-2008, 05:04 PM
The Rigger

Just a WAG here, but if everything else checks out might it be possible the steering servo is slightly off-kilter or the bellcrank is misaligned, and as a result it's putting a bit of pressure against one side of the steering gear when it's supposed to be "neutral?"

ORIGINAL: chrisestt01

There is no easy way to fix this. You have to be very systematic and check everything. It is caused by either binding or incorrect adjustment.
To check for binding you will have to take of all dog bones and spin each wheel. Check that they are spinning freely. While you do that check that the rims are not wobbling. Reinstall the dogbones and spin each wheel again. Check that one side of a diff is not binding. Check the rear diff too. Disconnect the steering rod from your servo and centre the servo. Make sure that your radio puts the servo in the centre position when you release the steering wheel. Disconnect the arm that connects the two tie rods. Move each wheel from left to right and check for binding. Binding could be in the ball connectors, steering bearings and the steering knuckle bushings. You have to check each one of them.
Now you check your adjustments. You will need a caliper to check that the length of your tie rods are exactly the same. Check that the gap in the adjustable upper arms are the same. Check that the ride height is the same at both front wheels and both rear wheels (front and rear do not have to be the same though). It is remotely possible that the alignment of your suspension arms and wheel knuckles are out. To check this, swap left and right and see if the car pulls to the other side.
The only other thing left is torque steering which occurs when you have a powerful motor and throttle up fast. You can check this by throttling up slowly.
Good luck

ORIGINAL: green_overcomer

I just had my TT01 hopped up with ball bearings, adjustable upper arms, a turnbuckle tie-rod set, CVA oil-filled cylinders, and an aluminum shaft, BUT it is still not driving straight. [:@] AARGH! I'm sure the slops have decreased after the hopping up, but the car still can't go straight even after adjusting the steering trim in my controller. I am getting depressed after spending all that money only to see my nagging problem still there. What else could be wrong? [&o][&o][&o]
Old 07-25-2008, 05:29 PM
The Rigger

ORIGINAL: ooberkan
hey how important are the bearings?
They're vital... If you read way back in the beginning of the thread, bIGmiK tells about his OEM plastic bushings eventually melting under high-speed conditions and messing up the driveline.
While pretty powerful, the motors these cars run on are still just itty-bitty electric motors, right? Anything you can do to reduce friction will pay off in speed and reduced heat, and reduced heat = long life.

HTH, HAND, &c.
-Dave
Old 07-25-2008, 07:07 PM
The Rigger

Original: sanshu
i think it's better to buy a race touring chassis than upgrading a tt-01 even the r version!
we spend too much money buying alu parts at the end we spend the same amount of money!!!
Yeah, maybe so. But to a lot of us... Well, okay; to *me*, anyway, it's not about the money invested or the matches won. It's about the actual build-up...

Face it; these days, any mook with a checkbook and the attention span of a flea can buy a hot-to-trot ready-racer. But how many of those people have the skills, talent, and dedication to take a less-than-optimum chassis system (which, let's be honest, the TT-01 is) and tweak it into a real competitive Hot Shoe? Or the innate curiosity to really dig down into the TT-01 and determine the weak points and actually *do* something about it? If you're going to end up spending about the same amount of money either way, then why not have the added attraction of getting elbows-deep into the tuning work yourself, instead of letting the factory have all the fun?

*That's* what it's all about, isn't it? Y'know... Like the man said a long time ago, "It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase..."

Original: TIGER76
True m8 but the Satification of modding a cheap tourer and beating the race breed tourer rcs is great lol...
Everyone loves a underdog
Yep... Tiger gets it.

-Dave
Old 07-25-2008, 07:23 PM
The Rigger

ORIGINAL: sanshu
i got a 19x2t with my stock esc works just fine!!!
Probably because of the double windings on the armature. Electrically, it's not a 19-turn; it's in effect a 38-turn, as far as your ESC is concerned... (Of course, as far as your gears are concerned, it's a fast-moving 19-turn.)

-Dave
Old 07-25-2008, 10:32 PM
The Rigger

So here's one I haven't seen mentioned yet (and on a 173-page thread, that's kind of surprising)...

Every so often I see a photo of a chassis that has both the front and rear bumper pads in place, yet most cars (including mine, it seems) only ship with the front... Is this car-specific? Do folks do without the rear so the body fits, or for shedding a bit of weight from the rear end & improving fore-and-aft weight distribution, or does it even make a hill of beans difference?

Also, if anyone has any experience with the Tamiya low-friction aluminum dampeners (pn#53155, IIRC), as opposed to going straight to oilers, I'd be interested in hearing your results.

Thx,
-Dave
Old 07-26-2008, 01:01 AM
pimpedarse

having bumpers in the front and back defiantly dont matter... most chassis only come with one connecting cover to mount the front foam bumper.

if you want you can by the screws and parts needed to mount one on the back...

They get dirty fast, weigh a bit more and definatly dont do much protecting unless maybe you drift a super fast brushless
Old 07-26-2008, 01:04 AM
pimpedarse

Well Said!
Old 07-26-2008, 01:07 AM
SIRCC

anybody put two bumpers on has too much parts and time on their hands
Old 07-26-2008, 01:09 AM
Vaderbxman

Hey guys. I'm the new guy here in terms of knowlege to the tt-01, but i hear they're great little cars. I'm trying to get my brother to switch over to 10th scale touring cars with me (I just build a TA-05 of my own)

He's got a budget of 320, and needs about everything for it except a servo and charger.

any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2008, 01:15 AM
SIRCC

ebay

Name:	Yw68065.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	997727  
Old 07-26-2008, 12:10 PM
The Rigger

ORIGINAL: Vaderbxman
He's got a budget of 320, and needs about everything for it except a servo and charger.

Look around; you can definitely get a TT-01 and parts to build it for less than us$320. I just picked up a new Ferrari FXX kit and a guy I work with got the Bimmer Z4 kit, both of us at a local shop here where we're working this month (not where we live IRL), both of us bought full R/C rigs, chargers, and multiple batteries, and neither of us spent more than $300, out the door. (I've since spent a buttload more on hotrodding parts, but that's another story.) A decent charger will set you back $70 or more, but that's one area where IMHO you don't want to scrimp - your battery charger is pretty much your life-support system. And most new TT-01 kits come with the ESC, despite what the box says - note that the TT-01R does *not*.

Check out your LHS for close-outs, or look on eBay or in the papers.

-Dave
Old 07-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Vaderbxman

Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-26-2008, 03:30 PM
The Rigger

ORIGINAL: The Rigger
...and a guy I work with got the Bimmer Z4 kit

Oops. My bad; he went for the Nismo R34 kit. Had to have the LEDs, I guess.

-Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.