Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 02:59 AM
Glowgeek

Received 71 Likes on 70 Posts

Acdii, what P-51 is your 125 mounted on? With axles even with LE a P-51 generally won't have tipping problems unless the cg is too far forward.

Between myself and a flying buddy we have probably 10 P-51 Mustangs that are all set up and fly great. I can check the cg on one if it's the same model as yours, or close.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 05-15-2020 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:15 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Acdii, what P-51 is your 125 mounted on? With axles even with LE a P-51 generally won't have tipping problems unless the cg is too far forward.

Between myself and a flying buddy we have probably 10 P-51 Mustangs that are all set up and fly great. I can check the cg on one if it's the same model as yours, or close.
The Top Flight ARF. The CG is all over the place for this particular model, some say, here, some say there, so I just set it where the book said. I am so glad I gave everything a good once over. This plane only has about 6 flights on it total, one crash with a rebuild, two flights afterwards. I found the CA hinges for the elevator had broke, one on each side, so had to cut the remaining ones and put pin hinges in. If you know the Mustang, the clevis is internal, so removing the elevator is impossible without removing the fin, so I had to pull and twist and do all kinds of crazy schizzel to get them in. I remembered that there was a twist in the elevator required some aileron trim for level flight, and it was that part that prompted me to look, good thing too. I think I was able to get the twist out too, so will see how it trims out. Going to put it on the Vanesaa rig too, I may have balanced it on that stupid plane dunker from Goldberg.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:18 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by acdii
The Top Flight ARF. The CG is all over the place for this particular model, some say, here, some say there, so I just set it where the book said. I am so glad I gave everything a good once over. This plane only has about 6 flights on it total, one crash with a rebuild, two flights afterwards. I found the CA hinges for the elevator had broke, one on each side, so had to cut the remaining ones and put pin hinges in. If you know the Mustang, the clevis is internal, so removing the elevator is impossible without removing the fin, so I had to pull and twist and do all kinds of crazy schizzel to get them in. I remembered that there was a twist in the elevator required some aileron trim for level flight, and it was that part that prompted me to look, good thing too. I think I was able to get the twist out too, so will see how it trims out. Going to put it on the Vanesaa rig too, I may have balanced it on that stupid plane dunker from Goldberg.

needs a cleaning
Old 05-15-2020, 05:52 AM
Glowgeek

OK, that sounds like the TOPA0950 "Hurry Home Honey" P51D 60 size arf. I have that plane and according the notes I scribbled in the manual I maidened it at the recommended 5-5/8" from the LE at the fuse. I have since moved the cg back a little but don't recall how much. At 5-5/8" it didn't tip over on the nose on our grass field. Hope that helps.

Edit: That's the plane that fell off my cg machine and also the one I had replaced the saito 100 with the 115 but not flown again. The 115 has been taken out for testing against the 125 and I'll set the cg back to 5-5/8" for maiden with the 115.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 05-15-2020 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:08 AM
Glowgeek

Yep, that's the one. It was a little nose heavy at 5-5/8".
Old 05-15-2020, 07:13 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 293 Likes on 250 Posts

Anyone interested in a large PT-19 kit? Over 100" span.

Oklahoma's not that far from here...
I can't help myself how big is the fuselage on that puppy? How many pieces does the wing break down into for storage and travel? Who designed this bird?
Old 05-15-2020, 08:25 AM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

a guy in our club has (had) a TF Mustang, he had an OS 65AX in it and it flew very well, even climbed out well enough. sO I can just guess pretty good how well it would have flown with a FA115 or 125>>>>> rather powerfully

Jim
Old 05-15-2020, 08:32 AM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by the Wasp
a guy in our club has (had) a TF Mustang, he had an OS 65AX in it and it flew very well, even climbed out well enough. sO I can just guess pretty good how well it would have flown with a FA115 or 125>>>>> rather powerfully

Jim
I like the sound of that! The 100 flew it ok. I just noticed that the 100 and 125 have the same mounting pattern. Hmmmm, maybe I'll put the 125 in the TF P51 instead of the 115, that way I can put the 115 in my Strega 46-55 size bird as originally intended. Woohoo!

46 Size Strega + Saito 115 + APC 13x13.5N + left thumb sounds like a formula for fun to me

Last edited by Glowgeek; 05-15-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:08 AM
acdii

Mine started out with the 100 GK and it flew very well, plenty of power, and the idle with the 15x8 MAS was so low it wouldn't stop with the throttle fully closed on the radio, just sat there going pop pop pop pop pop. It was going so slow I could read the writing on the prop. Thats the one I have in my Cub now with the last Evolution 15x8 I have, and that combo flies the cub so well. Talk about an overpowered plane. The guys at the field told me a Cub does not fly like that. It will out climb whatever they have, and they have 3D planes with BIG twins on them and props early as big as the wing on an LT-25. First flight, 10', airborne, straight up like an F-15 on full afterburner. Eventually I got it trimmed for level flight, then at 1/3 throttle it flew the plane very scale like, I mean, sound, speed, etc. The only downside, the 8 ounce tank doesn't last long.

With the 125, the Stang flies very nice, lots of power and fly bys are pretty damned cool, especially when the 14x10 Scimitar is ripping at WOT. Once I realized why the plane tended to flip over on its back at speed when I pulled up elevator, and set low rates and fly with low rates, it has been a joy to fly. Apparently with high rates it induces a high speed stall, which happened to me on landing when I pulled up to go around and it made a perfect half loop into the soybeans. If you have this plane, you know the elevator throws aren't very big, and when looking at the low rate throw, it is only about a 1/2", yet that is all it needs for normal flying. I only use the high rate when taking off and soon as the wheels leave the ground I flip to low elevator.

My workshop/office needs a cleaning, I haven't finished the workbench yet to start putting things away and organizing, so my other plane building bench is a mess.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:26 AM
Glowgeek

Acdii, if you still have the decals for that P51 and don't intend to use them I'd love to get them from you. The guy I got mine from threw the decals and guns away.

I like my warbirds all pimped out.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:29 AM
acdii

I actually just located them and the manual. I usually wait until the plane has a few flights on it and I'm satisfied with it's performance before I lay the decals on, just in case repairs are needed. I'll let you know though if I decide to go the custom, not to look like every other ARF route and get some Callies for it. Depends on if it survives a few flights.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:02 PM
the Wasp

Mine started out with the 100 GK and it flew very well, plenty of power, and the idle with the 15x8 MAS was so low it wouldn't stop with the throttle fully closed on the radio, just sat there going pop pop pop pop pop. It was going so slow I could read the writing on the prop. Thats the one I have in my Cub now with the last Evolution 15x8 I have, and that combo flies the cub so well. Talk about an overpowered plane. The guys at the field told me a Cub does not fly like that. It will out climb whatever they have, and they have 3D planes with BIG twins on them and props early as big as the wing on an LT-25. First flight, 10', airborne, straight up like an F-15 on full afterburner. Eventually I got it trimmed for level flight, then at 1/3 throttle it flew the plane very scale like, I mean, sound, speed, etc. The only downside, the 8 ounce tank doesn't last long.

With the 125, the Stang flies very nice, lots of power and fly bys are pretty damned cool, especially when the 14x10 Scimitar is ripping at WOT. Once I realized why the plane tended to flip over on its back at speed when I pulled up elevator, and set low rates and fly with low rates, it has been a joy to fly. Apparently with high rates it induces a high speed stall, which happened to me on landing when I pulled up to go around and it made a perfect half loop into the soybeans. If you have this plane, you know the elevator throws aren't very big, and when looking at the low rate throw, it is only about a 1/2", yet that is all it needs for normal flying. I only use the high rate when taking off and soon as the wheels leave the ground I flip to low elevator.

My workshop/office needs a cleaning, I haven't finished the workbench yet to start putting things away and organizing, so my other plane building bench is a mess
LOL you should fly my Worlds Model P-40 ! it's fast, but I tell you, it does not respond, then it overreacts, the manual calls for 10mm thro on the Ailerons, I set it at 5mm cause a review said 6mm was all it needs, but now it's set at 4mm and when it rolls it still rolls too fast, and because it rolls so fast and is slow to respond it is vary hard to stay ahead of it.

LOL my friend has an 88 inch span P-40 and he tell me mine flies like a P-40. well I hope not because if my VQ P-40 flies like that I will be very unhappy errrr

EDIT, I have another friend that had a 106 inch span P-47 and now an 86 inch span P-47, and now I know why he never liked the P-40. he wont fly my P-40 ether.

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 05-15-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:13 PM
Glowgeek

I actually just located them and the manual. I usually wait until the plane has a few flights on it and I'm satisfied with it's performance before I lay the decals on, just in case repairs are needed. I'll let you know though if I decide to go the custom, not to look like every other ARF route and get some Callies for it. Depends on if it survives a few flights.
OK, let me know.

Yeah, Callies has an endless selection of P51 nose art and one sheet of standard insignia for P51s. $40 for both sheets plus shipping, not too bad.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2020, 12:17 PM
acdii

I have an 81" WS P-47, flies like a trainer. It's big compared to what I am used to flying, so wound up tapping the right wing off the edge of a roof and flipping it when trying to land. Thankfully area improvements no longer force us to fly between the building and trees on landing approach from the east.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:25 PM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by the Wasp
LOL you should fly my Worlds Model P-40 ! it's fast, but I tell you, it does not respond, then it overreacts, the manual calls for 10mm thro on the Ailerons, I set it at 5mm cause a review said 6mm was all it needs, but now it's set at 4mm and when it rolls it still rolls too fast, and because it rolls so fast and is slow to respond it is vary hard to stay ahead of it.

LOL my friend has an 88 inch span P-40 and he tell me mine flies like a P-40. well I hope not because if my VQ P-40 flies like that I will be very unhappy errrr

EDIT, I have another friend that had a 106 inch span P-47 and now an 86 inch span P-47, and now I know why he never liked the P-40. he wont fly my P-40 ether.

Jim
That's why our radios have exponential. I don't like flipping switches to do this or that during flight. For warbirds I set the max throw I want and dial in expo to tame it near center stick. If it rolls too fast that's my fault for putting too much stick in, stopping a roll for 4,8 and 16 point rolls is no problem using expo.

That said, all of my planes are set up with 2 or 3 rates for ail and elev in case someone else wants to fly it. Using Heavy Expo with Aggressive Rates takes a little getting used to. It's easy to over control if you panic and start slamming the sticks.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 05-15-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:35 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 293 Likes on 250 Posts

OK, let me know.

Yeah, Callies has an endless selection of P51 nose art and one sheet of standard insignia for P51s. $40 for both sheets plus shipping, not too bad.

Thanks
Mess with the club members heads make it captured P-51 with Luftwaffe or Japanese markings!

Old 05-15-2020, 12:42 PM
acdii

I do the same, soften the stick in the middle. The P-51 is the only one where it is not to be flown with high elevator rate. Expo won't fix a HSS situation caused by too much throw. Here is a neat manual I located on the P-51 https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/stea...f?t=1587154103
Old 05-15-2020, 12:42 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Mess with the club members heads make it captured P-51 with Luftwaffe or Japanese markings!

I do have a B/C in the bones still.

Now that I think about it, I am going to build a 1/4 scale Ki somethingorother, so a Jap P-51 might just work.

Last edited by acdii; 05-15-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:46 PM
Glowgeek

Whaaaaat? Blasphemy BLASPHEMY!!!
Old 05-15-2020, 01:42 PM
the Wasp

That's why our radios have exponential. I don't like flipping switches to do this or that during flight. For warbirds I set the max throw I want and dial in expo to tame it near center stick. If it rolls too fast that's my fault for putting too much stick in, stopping a roll for 4,8 and 16 point rolls is no problem using expo.

That said, all of my planes are set up with 2 or 3 rates for ail and elev in case someone else wants to fly it. Using Heavy Expo with Aggressive Rates takes a little getting used to. It's easy to over control if you panic and start slamming the sticks.
LOL I use Expo, I have been flying almost 20 years, had some 60 hours Sim time before my first flight. started with glow Helis, I went into forward flight on my 6th tank of fuel. did my first looped on my 2nd gallon. I have never flown a plane that responds so slow while the speed of the Roll is so fast, my Expo is set (just checked) at 45%,

the Ailerons on this plane are 20&1/2 inches long, while the cord is only 1&3/8. so there is a delay in the time I move the Aileron stick to the time the plane responds to the Stick inputs! every one tells me more Expo, but more Expo will slow down the responds.

wouldn't I need to lower my Expo to get the plane to respond to the stick sooner and then lower the Throws on my Ailerons to slow down the Roll Speed ???

my VQ P-40 shoud be a nicer plane to fly because it's a larger plane with a thicker wing.

Jim

Old 05-15-2020, 02:14 PM
acdii

Just ran up the FA-100 I put new bearings in. What a Sweet engine. Fired right up, idles at 1600 RPM Peaks at 8900 with a MAS 14 x 8. Didn't even need to play with the HSN. I did to see peak, but it went right back to where it was. It idles so slow that I nearly have the throttle fully closed before it quit. I guess I can call that consistency, since my GK 100 does the exact same thing.

Well going to put this one away and pull the Mustang out and see if I can get it running.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:23 PM
acdii

Well, did not want to start while in the plane, just burbled fuel out the exhaust so yanked it out and put it on the stand. Still wouldn't start, just spit fuel out. Pulled the plug, it was completely fouled, would take current and get warm but not hot. Put a new plug in and it gfired but ran rough and was spitting fuel out of the crankcase as well as the stack and carb. Turned out the LSN was extremely rich. I have it dialed in now where the idle is 1900 and peak is 8900 with the aforementioned Scimitar. However it has a miss at any RPM, and I don't know why, and the HSN can be turned in or out a 1/2 turn with no change in RPM. Transition is good from a long idle to WOT, no hesitation. Really smoky though and lots of oil. Same Wildcat 15% as the others. For now I will leave it as it sits and put if back in the Mustang and see how it runs inverted.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:18 PM
Glowgeek

Sounds like way too rich on the lsn. I set the hsn for peak, lean the lsn until it hesitates on transition and then richen the lsn until it just barely stops hesitating during transition. Then I re peak and adjust the lsn again. That usually gets the midrange close enough to fly too. Final tweaking after in flight testing.

Could be a bad glow plug too. I've never experienced a defective new glow plug but there are a few reports of it happening.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 05-15-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:47 PM
Jesse Open

Received 105 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
In the mid 90's I owned four YS engines, all FZ's, never again will I do that. I sold them to a guy for the price of one, then took my Martin and played and sang Roy Clark's, Thank God and Greyhound they're gone.
After reading that I got out my 1965 Gibson Les Paul and played the classic Les Paul "Cry Me a River" The Norwegian Princess sang along doing a fine impression of Mary Ford, while we both tried to hold back the laughter. Even she runs her YS 91AC without whining.

Got my first YS two stroke in the late 1970s. By the time they came out with their wonderful four strokes, I had enough solid experience that it was a very smooth transition. Very thankful that I didn't have to toss in the towel and have enjoyed many many pleasant hours with YS engines.

I am never thankful for failing to run an engine, knowing that others have managed to do very well with. If they were as bad as some folks relate, they would have been long gone by now.

By far, the best four stroke singles I have ever owned had the lettersYS on the side.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 05-15-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:03 AM
Hyjinx

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
After reading that I got out my 1965 Gibson Les Paul and played the classic Les Paul "Cry Me a River" The Norwegian Princess sang along doing a fine impression of Mary Ford, while we both tried to hold back the laughter. Even she runs her YS 91AC without whining.

Got my first YS two stroke in the late 1970s. By the time they came out with their wonderful four strokes, I had enough solid experience that it was a very smooth transition. Very thankful that I didn't have to toss in the towel and have enjoyed many many pleasant hours with YS engines.

I am never thankful for failing to run an engine, knowing that others have managed to do very well with. If they were as bad as some folks relate, they would have been long gone by now.

By far, the best four stroke singles I have ever owned had the lettersYS on the side.
Havnt flown a ys, but coming up on 4 hours of flight time on the Flybaby with the 65 and a zippy 12/9 or scale 13/6 And loving it!
It's over Adrian Mi. Later today.
Don't tell Mother Gretchen lol.
She will send the MSP out to visit and check for face covers and social distancing.
Sheech

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.