Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 04:16 PM
raubold
My Feedback: (156)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood.

hmm, have about 100 round with my Bird with the DLE on it, no issues so far, only thing different is the use of a V2 ignition, the V4 is to agressive with its timing curve for my taste, ran great but rough. With the V4. It was harder to tune in the days of first use of the V2 Ignition but runs like a Rolex now and gets down to 1700 with no shaking control surfaces when sitting on the ground running. Worked on my 30 the same way, don't ask me why, but works great for me.
Michael
Old 05-17-2011, 06:13 AM
OntAeronut

Hello folks, swore I posted a message here a while back, but I can't find it so I will post again.

I recently got my hands on a built Goldberg Ult bipe kit, The plane is in great shape, I belive only flown a couple of times due to the motor not performing to the owner's liking.

my questions are,

1. What the heck do these planes fly like? I can honestly say I have never seen one of these fly before.... * I know I know.. someone shoot me*

2. Would a Supertiger 90 2stroke fly this well? or should I drop a 120 fourstroke or 20cc gasser in it?

3. If you went with a gasser, do you need to reenforce the firewall?

4. and lastly... what the heck is with that wierd top wing mounting gizzmo...wow.

Thanks for all the info in advance folks, you guys have some amazing planes, really makes me want to fly this thing instead of trading for something else.

Cheers,

Carl
Old 05-17-2011, 07:42 AM
alfredbmor

Carl:

I would like to answer all your questions the best way, but I also would like to know if you have ever been flying model airplanes before and what kind of model do you have experimented with.

They all are very interesting, as an example for your first question, these bipes fly right and true as a pattern plane, but the Ultimate has many capabilities to do great aerobatics and relating this answer with your second question, I could say that the Supertigre 90 is enough engine to fly this bipe but if you are looking for an aggressive type of flying like a knife edge loop, then you should look for a better performing engine. Going with your 3th. question I would say that experience is a must when trying to fly this bipe (originally designed to fly with a 60 size engine -nobody does it-), as a "dragger" biplane, the extra weight could mean a total loss if a failure happens with your engine, this bipe will never float so practically you are flying a brick with a gasser. Of course you should to reinforce the firewall, again, take in mind that this biplane was designed to be flown with a 60 size two stroke engine. And lastly, there are many ways to attach the upper wing to the original aluminum cabane, the first one is usually with a piano wire rod which goes from the front of the upper wing through two holes on the aluminum cabane. On ARFs, they used to be bolted direct to the upper cabane frame, from there many user have had made some changes to make it easier and fast to bolt it and remove it. I have built the kit and stayed with the original rod until now.

I hope that it could be useful to you, it is an amazing bipe with no flaws.

Have a great day and please let me know if you want to be part of our Brotherhood.

Best regards.

Alfred.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:03 AM
OntAeronut

Hi Alfred,

Thank you for the quick responce to my questions.

To answer your first question, I have been flying for aprox. 15-20 yrs, with a few years in there where i didnt fly. I have flown everything from trainers, beavers, ultrasports, war planes and you name it. Even a smith miniplane. Right now I am currently cutting holes in the sky with a revolver.

Now I know that the 90 isn't going to give me unlimited vertical or the most amazing power for 3d ... but I am hoping it will be enough power to fly around, do some things, but not get too too crazy with it.....yet

I mostly want to know if this plane settles down for landings, or is a hotdog till the ground. You hear two sides of that coin depending on who you talk to.. LOL.

Still can't beive I have never seen one of these planes fly... meh..guess that's what happens when your a pitts special fans....

Thank you again,

Carl
Old 05-17-2011, 02:49 PM
alfredbmor

Carl, I know what you mean about the two sides of the coin, so let me try to tell how mine is doing until now.

The first engine I used on it was a Magnum 1.20 four stroke, I had no problem balancing the bipe, I use two servos sitting at the rear of the fuse for elevators, even though the bipe came a little hot at landings when there were little or almost nothing of wind. When winds were faster my approaches and landings worked better. About two or three years ago I changed the engine for a more efficient 2 stroke 1.20 OS AX engine which has been working flawlessly until now, I had to move the battery to the front because the engine is lighter than the four stroker. Now I have been enjoying slower landings bringing the bipe with very low RPM (1,800 or so), the down side (there should be at least one isn't it), is that the lighter the bipe, the hardest to bring it down on strong winds. I have not flown mine since last year, it unbelievable that almost all Sundays have been very windy lately.

Then, there is a two faced coin answer and, in my opinion, it relays on the final weight of the bipe which commonly is around 8~9 pounds.

I hope it helps.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Greenfuelboy
My Feedback: (60)

Hi, I have a <span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; ">Goldberg ultimate 10-300 bluehawk</span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; "></span>kit that I built it is missing the cowl. I would like to know if any one has a cowl for me. Or if they know where to get one. I fly mine with a 50/55/380 KV motor 1800 watts at full throttle. I fly with no cowl the guys tease me until they see the 15 inch take off. I can hover at half throttle or less. I like the plane and with the big lipos I have just enough weight with out having to use lead to balance it.

Thank you
GFB<br type="_moz" />
Old 05-18-2011, 07:51 PM
raubold
My Feedback: (156)

tinkering my second 10-300 Goldberg on to Eflite Power 110/4S1P2650 X 2 in series right now, lets see what happens with that setup, cowlings you can get from fiber glass specialitys or what they where called, you find them in the www. mine are from them and fit great.
Michael
Old 05-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Greenfuelboy
My Feedback: (60)

Hi, thank you I will look up<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">fiber glass specialitys</span>to see if I can get a cowl.

Thank you
GFB<br type="_moz" />
Old 05-19-2011, 03:06 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

They are still in bussiness,, http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/ it's $38 + shipping

I have a OEM ABS set if you're interested,, since you're running E-power Plastic would be fine
Old 05-27-2011, 07:17 PM
OntAeronut

Well, thanks to the responces I got from here, I have bit the bullet and decided to ready my Ultimate for flying. I have decided to tear off the covering, *never did like the stock blue/yellow scheme* and check out the glue joints and building of this plane. Are there any " upgrades" or things I should beef up ? I am going to replace the weak wire landing gear with a stronger durel set and I might consider the top wing attachment change. I have decided to go with the super tiger 90 2stroke since I am getting a smoking deal on it. Stay tuned for updates

Carl
Old 06-04-2011, 05:13 PM
stefanP
My Feedback: (2)

Well ,How does one jion this brotherhood of the ultimate bipe? I just purchased a kit built cg ultimate.I'm converting the plane to electric power.I just ordered a new cowl from fiberglass specialties.
stefanP
Old 06-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Revy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You meet the prerequisite! Al will give you the next available #, I'm sure! Post pics of your progress.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:57 PM
stefanP
My Feedback: (2)

Just received my cowl from fiberglass specailties.One word,SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET I removed the oily stinky engine,fuel tank and throttle servo.Next will start on motor mounting.For those who are flying electric ,can you post pictures of how you mounted the flight batteries.I like to go threw the front near the cowl.Thanxs,stefanP
Old 06-10-2011, 09:59 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Last year I got a kit built CG Ultimate from a yard sell for free! [8D]

I haven't covered it or mounted the engine yet. I have a few other planes in line before it. Scoot
Old 06-14-2011, 10:32 PM
peternj
My Feedback: (5)

Hello Gang,

It's been a while since I've posted.... I've been building a spare CGUltimate (about 80% complete) Ihave been chronicling the progress in word but will start posting here if that is ok? (Alfred). Just looking for the easiest way to post and link pictures so a little insight would be aswome. The build did start in February and gained and lost momentum...

Right now it's on the back burner as I'm in the process of revamping my build bench to a magnetic system I got here (http://airfieldmodels.com/informatio...c_fixtures.htm). Not trying to promote but there is a lot of good articles and I've been sanding and finishing that so Ican resume and finish the bipe...

For the record I did hijack the top wing mount and cabane mounting modifications so they can take more loading...

Alfredbmore, I have the traces of the formers that Istill owe you so Ihope you don't mind I've been slow moving with that....

peter
Old 06-15-2011, 08:56 AM
alfredbmor

Updated members list:

maukaonyx # 01
JohnMcGowan # 02
Cub Man # 03
DanS # 04
u2builder # 05
CRJDriver # 06
alfredbmor # 07
captinjohn # 08
yekots # 09
everwood # 10
JNorton # 11
Tailskid # 12
Crash Campbell # 13
frequent flyer # 14
daveopam # 15
VCScott # 16
PropWash # 17
eaticus # 18
mistermnkim # 19
Zebra One # 20
JimboGreek # 21
tony 0707 # 22
pushinoldrc # 23
bigal126 # 24
Steve Campbell # 25
raubold # 26
Revy # 27
twn # 28
vt-flier # 29
rk2648 # 30
Francisco Ortiz # 31
JohnB 96041 # 32
David Agar # 33
IMaflyer # 34
Reefrus # 35
Jduran157 # 36
Bipeguy03 # 37
SRQFlyer # 38
Charlie111 # 39
Flygilmore # 40
Falling leaf # 41
ericzombie # 42
Pacomb # 43
Atlanta 60 # 44
Gunneredwards # 45
braddock VC # 46
Cyberfyn # 47
Mrshea # 48
Peternj # 49
WarbirdAirRacer # 50
Abbott915 # 51
ArcticCatRider # 52
THEJADEGROUP # 53
Jjoos99 # 54
MajorTomski # 55
Twin Flyer # 56
72 #57
George Waldrop #58
TripleDeucer # 59
Johnny Zero # 60
Garthwood # 61
StefanP # 62
Available # 63
Available # 64
Available # 65
Available # 66
Available # 67
Available # 68
Available # 69
Eddie James # 70
CanDo # 71
Thunderbolt P47 # 72

All numbers from here and on, are available.

New members, who want to join this great Brotherhood, please take the next number available (# 63 or # 73 as an example) or grab any number in advance of your choice.

Just a note: As a remainder, if any of you wish to belong to our Brotherhood, do not hesitate and take the next number, if, as it has happened before, other member took it, please have a little chat to get in accordance with numbers, or just take the next number available.

Thanks.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:58 AM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: stefanP

Just received my cowl from fiberglass specailties.One word,SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET I removed the oily stinky engine,fuel tank and throttle servo.Next will start on motor mounting.For those who are flying electric ,can you post pictures of how you mounted the flight batteries.I like to go threw the front near the cowl.Thanxs,stefanP

Welcome to our Brotherhood
StefanP your number is # 62
Old 06-15-2011, 11:45 AM
drbenz
My Feedback: (11)

Not sure if I qualify but i have the 30% goldberg ultimate ARF. I acquired it as a swap meet last year and had to do alot of minor cosmetic repairs to it. Power is a ZDZ80. It flies good but makes me nervous.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:17 PM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

Didn't know Goldberg made a 30%. Post some pics..
Old 06-15-2011, 12:24 PM
drbenz
My Feedback: (11)

Check this out....its no linger made but here it is. I will post pics of mine when i get a chance to assemble it.

http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/.../gbga1079.html
Old 06-16-2011, 02:53 AM
Thunderbolt P47
My Feedback: (3)

All,

I built my CGB Ultimate 10-300 back in 2004/05 with help from folks on Rc Universe. She is still flying today and one of my favorites to fly. Please add me to the brotherhood at #72 as I have not made the transition yet to 2.4 radio systems yet. I will try and post some pictures when I get home.

Jeff
Old 06-16-2011, 12:58 PM
alfredbmor

Thunderbolt P47, welcome to our Brotherhood, you are officially #72 member.

Please enjoy. We will be waiting for those pictures, thanks.

Alfred.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:15 PM
peternj

peternj - CG Ultimate Build

<span style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">I completed my first CG Ultimate back in 1996 seen in </span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">below</span><span style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">. I still have it, and recently repaired the hangar rash it sustained during some moves. It still flies, and it flies well after over a decade of absence.

So why the build...

<span style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Having mastered some 3-D maneuvers on the Real Flight simulator, I am getting the itch to move them to the flight field where I can be either a hero or a zero. This remains to be seen, but either way I will have a stand-by in my hangar hence the build
</span></span>
Old 06-17-2011, 04:21 PM
peternj

<span new="" style="line-height: 115%; font-family: ">peternj - CG Ultimate Build

Chronicles of my now discontinued Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 .90 kit (K-53) build. Although I do use the word, chronicles, loosely my intent is to give you an estimated time line of the build and some changes I have made from the original design. The first kit I assembled was built per plan and instructions without any deviations. I started the kit the second week of February 2011 and spent approximately 5 hours a week as work schedule allowed. Two hours in the evening once or twice a week and nice chunk of time on the weekend. During the build I read and joined <font color="#0000ff">RC Universe</font> Ultimate Brotherhood forums and builds. A lot of the modifications I made stem from there.

<span new="" style="line-height: 115%; font-family: ">Framed out the horizontal stabilizer and added gussets at hinge locations to provide reinforcement and more adhesion area

Here it is sheeted

</span></span>
Old 06-17-2011, 04:37 PM
peternj

<span new="" style="line-height: 115%; font-family: ">peternj - CG Ultimate Build

Framed out the elevator surfaces and added gussets at hinge locations to provide reinforcement and more adhesion area for hinges

<span new="" style="line-height: 115%; font-family: ">Built up components ready for final sanding. Ok, so I deviated from instructions and held off on final sanding until all tail feathers were built up

</span></span>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.