Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Official Tamiya TT-01 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 01:55 PM
solo13
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Tamiya TT-01 Thread

stock gearing , I think bought it used
Old 11-19-2008, 02:04 PM
dfiantii

I have been told the 17.5 is slow that's why the track I am at does not use them. Try purchasing more gears and changing them out to increase speed.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:11 PM
The Rigger

ORIGINAL: zbot
I was just messing around with my silver can motor and i put it in a glas of water and rand it (surprisingly doesnt kill it) and it cleans out the motor really well.

Yep; that's the recommended method for cleaning out a dirty motor. I think it also works for seating the brushes on a new motor - the residue inside the can coupled with the water acts like lapping compound, like honing a pocket knife on a wet sharpening stone. You may be seeing a slight increase in percieved power and torque from that, or just from getting all the old grunge out of the can.

-Dave
Old 11-19-2008, 03:16 PM
The Rigger

ORIGINAL: xxSLiMxx
Try cleaning it with some compressed air or electrial cleaner then put a small drop of oil on the bearings.

Ooooo... Tread *very* carefully!! Oil in an electric motor can generate all sorts of evil if it gets in the wrong place, like in the stator windings. Plus oil is a good conductor of electricity, so if it gets in the wrong place it can short out the motor...

Better off cleaning with water-bath and letting the motor *thoroughly* air-dry, rather than oiling it. Chances are what you might think are sticking bearings are just excess grunge in the motor and a wet-bath cleaning will get rid of that.

-Dave
Old 11-19-2008, 08:40 PM
deejayqueue

Hi Guys, first time poster here.

I just got my hands on a tt01 XB car, and I've been starting to upgrade bits and bobs on it here and there.

I bought a 19t spec motor for it, and I've seen substantial speed increases but I'm wondering if I should change the gearing any or what the car can handle?

Also, I bought a set of aluminum front knuckles but was disappointed when the stock axles wouldn't fit. Do I need to get special ones? What would they be called? I've seen "swing shafts" that look like the right part, but I've seen them with rounded cups and squared off cups. Are there different ones for the front vs. the back?

One more thing; Any recommendations of good drift tires for asphalt?

Total newb to r/c cars here, but pretty good with tools and electronics.

Thanks in advance!
-Mike
Old 11-23-2008, 06:47 PM
The Rigger

ORIGINAL: deejayqueue
I bought a 19t spec motor for it, and I've seen substantial speed increases but I'm wondering if I should change the gearing any or what the car can handle?
You're probably running the stock (60/19) gears. They'll handle the 19t motor just fine, however changing gears can change the "profile" of your car, in the ratio of rate of acceleration vs. overall top speed... There's no magic combination of spur & pinion gears that'll give you both eye-blink acceleration *and* a supersonic top end, but gears are cheap. Get some variants, read up on the proper method of re-gearing & aligning the motor, and have some fun experimenting. There's about 3.5 metric buttloads of solid info in this forum re: gearing. Do yourself a favor and take the four days or so it'll require to read through it all; you won't be sorry. We all learn from each other here.

Also, I bought a set of aluminum front knuckles but was disappointed when the stock axles wouldn't fit. Do I need to get special ones? What would they be called? I've seen "swing shafts" that look like the right part, but I've seen them with rounded cups and squared off cups. Are there different ones for the front vs. the back?
Yep; swing shafts (sometimes called dog bones) are what you're looking for. Get whichever ones fit your knuckles. There's no difference in length or girth that I can see between the front and back swing shafts; the different bits are the actual axles outside the CV joints, which the outboard ends of the swing shafts fit into inside the knuckles.

One more thing; Any recommendations of good drift tires for asphalt?
I had reasonably good luck drifting with the OEM Tamiya slicks on my FXX. Others like PVC pipe on their rims, but I think that's too extreme for the kind of farting aroud I do with my car - I mean, you gotta have *some* traction every once in a while. for pity's sake. Check Tower Hobbies for a fine selection of 1/10 scale (26mm) drifting tires from HPI Racing, Tamiya, Integrety, and Yokomo, or browbeat your LHS into stocking some.

Welcome to the Mini-Monster Garage...

-Dave
Old 11-24-2008, 06:21 PM
zbot

EZ-RUN Bushless Motor 9T 4300Kv -> is this a good drift motor? does it fit on a tt-01?
Old 11-24-2008, 06:29 PM
xxSLiMxx

ORIGINAL: zbot

EZ-RUN Bushless Motor 9T 4300Kv -> is this a good drift motor? does it fit on a tt-01?
Yes it is! and yes it will!
Old 11-24-2008, 06:32 PM
xxSLiMxx

Will i just made my last purchas for mt TT-01 I have f/r alum gear boxes and servo mounts. I now have all the alum parts for a TT01 I also have an old school 92-95 honda civic body comming. Im stoked about that! Im going to paint it up just like my old 1:1 civic. Ill have pics up shotly after im done paint it. Keep an eye out!
Old 11-24-2008, 10:17 PM
deejayqueue

Thanks guys for all your help!

So, I took my car over to the ice rink in Ballston, not to drift on the ice, though that would have been kinda cool. There's a huge concrete pad on the second floor where they never finished the upstairs lounge, so I decided to go learn to drift.

I made really good friends with a bunch of 6-10 year olds. Aside from one little kid who almost got a hockey stick shoved where the sun don't shine (he was like 3 and probably didn't know any better) when he tried to slap-shot the car, everyone loved chasing it around.

The problem was that since it was forgotten real estate, nobody ever swept or cleaned up there, meaning that the floor had a nice layer of dust on it. Dust that soon got all over everywhere inside the car and (I can only assume) made the speed controller overheat to the point that it shut down, started blinking, and the tape holding it to the chassis melted. Any recommendations on high-temp tape or other adhesive method?

Don't say hot glue .

Oh, and is it just me or is it an industrial strength PIA to put the antenna wire into the stock tube? I spend nearly fifteen minutes (and finally got the job done with some WD40) getting that thing in there.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:15 PM
The Rigger

The problem was that since it was forgotten real estate, nobody ever swept or cleaned up there, meaning that the floor had a nice layer of dust on it. Dust that soon got all over everywhere inside the car and (I can only assume) made the speed controller overheat to the point that it shut down, started blinking, and the tape holding it to the chassis melted. Any recommendations on high-temp tape or other adhesive method?
Is this the stock Tamiya ESC you're using with the 19t motor, or an aftermarket one rated for low turn-count motors? The Tamiya one prefers motors with windings in the mid-to-high-20s, and although some folks here have said they've not had problems with the ESC driving a 17-19t motor, I remain skeptical...

The ESC is a sealed electronic device. Dust isn't normally an issue with that, as much as it is with the chassis' actual moving parts. That said, you'll definitely be wanting to invest in some canned air and give your ride a good blowing-out every so often, especially if you're running in a dusty environment like that. It may not help with the overheating, but it sure couldn't hurt. Ya can't really be too clean, y'know...

As far as sticking your ESC to the chassis, I'm a big fan of that hard plastic self-sticking industrial strength Velcro tape, the kind that's more like plastic fingers on both sides, rather than hook & loop. Michael's Crafts Stores and Jo Ann Fabrics has it, as does most any hardware store. Seems to take temperature shifts better than the 3M doublestick tape does, in my experience. Plus you can take your ESC out of the car a lot easier if you need to.

Oh, and is it just me or is it an industrial strength PIA to put the antenna wire into the stock tube?
Take your time, easy does it. I didn't have any trouble with mine.

-Dave
Old 11-25-2008, 09:44 PM
deejayqueue

Is this the stock Tamiya ESC you're using with the 19t motor, or an aftermarket one rated for low turn-count motors? The Tamiya one prefers motors with windings in the mid-to-high-20s, and although some folks here have said they've not had problems with the ESC driving a 17-19t motor, I remain skeptical...
Yes, it's the stock ESC. The guy at the hobby shop told me (I know, the best disaster stories start out that way) that the stock ESC could handle down to a 19t motor, which is why I got that one. The funny part is that when I'm running outside in the parking lot it doesn't overheat. Dust may not be much of a problem getting inside the controller, but it is a hell of an insulator.

As far as sticking your ESC to the chassis, I'm a big fan of that hard plastic self-sticking industrial strength Velcro tape, the kind that's more like plastic fingers on both sides, rather than hook & loop. Michael's Crafts Stores and Jo Ann Fabrics has it, as does most any hardware store. Seems to take temperature shifts better than the 3M doublestick tape does, in my experience. Plus you can take your ESC out of the car a lot easier if you need to.
I kinda figured velcro would be the answer. For the moment I used just regular ole' hook-n-loop stuff but if it gives up the ghost I'll switch to the hardier variety.

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 11-28-2008, 01:48 PM
pimpedarse

hey everyone idk if i asked this earlier but can someone explain the whole brushless system to me?

i have no idea what kv is or whatever lol

when i want to buy a brushless esc and motor what should i look for?

does anyone have any suggestions??

ebay seems to have really good deals on some combo deals...

i dont care about name brands i just want something versatile and decent for the money

Thanks in advance everyone!!
Old 11-28-2008, 01:57 PM
SIRCC

what you going to do onroad or offroad?

how fast you want to go?

lipo or nimh battery?

comp or bashing?

how much are you willing to spend?
Old 11-29-2008, 07:44 PM

Hi there. Ive a couple of maintainance questions...
What the easiest/recommended way to clean the chasis after a few days carpark racing/bashing.
How often should I strip it right down for re-greaesing ??
Ive read that some guys run the motor underwater to clean it. Wouldnt that be bad for the carbon brushes.
Is just blowing out the motor with compressed air be good enougth??

Thanks

Old 11-29-2008, 09:10 PM
xxSLiMxx

ORIGINAL: 1101

Hi there. Ive a couple of maintainance questions...
What the easiest/recommended way to clean the chasis after a few days carpark racing/bashing.
How often should I strip it right down for re-greaesing ??
Ive read that some guys run the motor underwater to clean it. Wouldnt that be bad for the carbon brushes.
Is just blowing out the motor with compressed air be good enougth??

Thanks

Spray it off with compressed air and wipe it down with a damp cloth....thats all i do. As for a compleat tear down thats up to you. I only grease the inside of the diffs, eveywhere else attracts dirt. The water cleaning trick for motors is fine just re-oil the bearing when you are done.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:15 PM
xxSLiMxx

ORIGINAL: pimpedarse

hey everyone idk if i asked this earlier but can someone explain the whole brushless system to me?

i have no idea what kv is or whatever lol

when i want to buy a brushless esc and motor what should i look for?

does anyone have any suggestions??

ebay seems to have really good deals on some combo deals...

i dont care about name brands i just want something versatile and decent for the money

Thanks in advance everyone!!

The higher the KV rating the faster it will go but it will run hotter. As for putting a brushless into your TT01 the top name brand isnt needed. Something like a Hobbywing or EZrun combo will do just fine. I run a eZrun in mine and it tops out at about 55-60Kph (faster then any TT01 can handle and run in a stright line) and runs cool. Thos ESC/Motor combos are easy to find on ebay and only cost about $70US. I hope this helps you.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:26 AM
SIRCC

if you upgrade to aluninum you can go mamba or velineon
Old 11-30-2008, 01:12 PM
pimpedarse

yeah it actually helps a lot!

which eZrun motor do you have?

and when it comes to brushless the turns are basically the same??

I think im going to get this one

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/eZrun-RC-CAR-5-5T-brushless-motor-60A-ESC-3in1-Combo_W0QQitemZ260322483617QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadi o_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item260322483617& _trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2% 7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318]http://cgi.ebay.com/eZrun-RC-CAR-5-5T-brushless-motor-60A-ESC-3in1-Combo_W0QQitemZ260322483617QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadi o_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item260322483617& _trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2% 7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318[/link]

what would you estimate would be my top speed?

my car's relativly blinged out =]]]]
Old 11-30-2008, 01:18 PM
SIRCC

I run traxxas velineon, mamba max on my tt-01, but it's like my bud slim said you dont need well knowned
brushless system. the features are all the same, just less testing in competetions
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65227.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1081441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64612.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1081442  
Old 11-30-2008, 02:24 PM
xxSLiMxx

ORIGINAL: pimpedarse

yeah it actually helps a lot!

which eZrun motor do you have?

and when it comes to brushless the turns are basically the same??

I think im going to get this one

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/eZrun-RC-CAR-5-5T-brushless-motor-60A-ESC-3in1-Combo_W0QQitemZ260322483617QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadi o_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item260322483617& _trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2% 7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318]http://cgi.ebay.com/eZrun-RC-CAR-5-5T-brushless-motor-60A-ESC-3in1-Combo_W0QQitemZ260322483617QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadi o_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item260322483617& _trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2% 7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318[/link]

what would you estimate would be my top speed?

my car's relativly blinged out =]]]]

Mine is a 9T and its geared 23/58 and im hitting speeds around 55kph+

That one you linked seems pricy, i only payed $80 shipped to canada for the same thing......cept mines a 9T
Old 12-02-2008, 11:28 PM
CrocEnd

Hy All,
Two questions? 1 Can someone tell me what turn the Tamiya RS-540 Sport Tuned is please I have the box in front of me but nothing.This motor is in my TT-01 NICE.
2 Being in Aussie I need to know where to purchase the or a 1/10 Wheel alineing set up.Please.
Saw one back alot of pages ago.
Thanx CrocEnd.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:42 PM
xxSLiMxx

I finally got all my alum. parts and there all installed. Just waitting for my 92-95 Civic HB body.

If anyone is intrested, Im selling my blue 200mm lambo body. Body holes cut for a TT-01 PM for more info!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24830.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1083099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53876.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1083100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82835.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1083101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un33785.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1083102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk68148.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1083103  
Old 12-02-2008, 11:46 PM
xxSLiMxx

ORIGINAL: CrocEnd

Hy All,
Two questions? 1 Can someone tell me what turn the Tamiya RS-540 Sport Tuned is please I have the box in front of me but nothing.This motor is in my TT-01 NICE.
2 Being in Aussie I need to know where to purchase the or a 1/10 Wheel alineing set up.Please.
Saw one back alot of pages ago.
Thanx CrocEnd.
Its a 19T i beleve. Or close too it.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:19 AM
CrocEnd

thank xxSLiMxx
was gusseing around that, go's well enough for our stock can racing.
Cheer's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.