Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

Cen GST 7.7 BRUSHLESS BUILD!

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Cen GST 7.7 BRUSHLESS BUILD!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:56 PM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Cen GST 7.7 BRUSHLESS BUILD!

OK so I think I figured something out. Still have no idea how to reverse the servo after reading through the directions nothing seemed to work. So I simply left it the way it was but removed the brake stoppers to the other side so now the brakes work this way

However After running it holding it in my hand I gave it about 1/4 throttle-1/2 throttle and it made a POP sound and now I seem to have some binding somewhere? I'll figure it out tomorrow, HOPEFULLY it was nothing and I just maybe need to re-adjust my gear meshing?
Old 02-19-2011, 07:18 PM
JUCD VPR

Just an update. I am waiting on a new T BOLT for the transmission as it somehow broke into tiny pieces?? Maybe I over torqued it?

SO the truck still isn't running just yet but I hope to get the part this week and FINALLY be able to test run it outside! Still never figured out what I have reversed with regards to the throttle servo. I simply poped off the stoppers and reversed them so now the machanical brakes work. Once I get a new T BOLT it SHOULD be ready to go. Keeping my fingers crossed it goes well and nothing brakes, last time I ran up the RPM's the T NUT broke into pieces....
Old 02-20-2011, 06:29 PM
DarkFire989

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks dude. When I had my GST it didnt agree with me all the time, so I got rid of it. Just buy another FG, gas and go lol. I love mine.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:48 PM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: DarkFire989

That sucks dude. When I had my GST it didnt agree with me all the time, so I got rid of it. Just buy another FG, gas and go lol. I love mine.
Oh man I want another FG so bad. I had one a while back and LOVED it! I'll get another one eventually but not right now. As for the GST, just working out the bugs i'm sure i'll get it up and running soon, i just hate waiting for parts, especially when there is a Monday holiday lol.!
Old 03-02-2011, 12:42 PM
JUCD VPR

A Little UPDATE....

I JUST got the T Bolt in the other day. Yikes CEN, it takes you a long time to deliver a part..thats all i'm going to say there. I order parts off ebay 5 days later than the T bolt and I got them before I got the part from Cen... Anyway.....!

The new T Bolt is on, so I took the truck out last night in my front yard on 2S lipos JUST to test the drivability to see if anything would break.......no fast speed runs or anything yet.

Slowly starting out she runs smooth but when I MASH the throttle I can see a SPARK shooting out of the bottom of the truck. I THOUGHT to myself, heck no the T Bolt didn't break into pieces again did it?

After bringing it inside (it was dark out) I looked over it and didn't see any problems with the T BOLT.

SO the only other thing I can think of is.....I suspect the gear meshing may be too loose? But again thats a guess right now. It looks good and sounds good but maybe it's still a bit too loose and the teeth are slipping and that may be what is causing the spark considering when I MASH the throttle it sparks (it did it twice).

SO i will be readjusting the gear mesh tonight in the hope it will be fixed and the Brushless GST beast will be ready to get the crap bashed out of it

STAY TUNED as we may have some videos by this weekend if everything goes well
Old 03-02-2011, 05:57 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should have posted that they have not sent it yet. I have several t-bolts, coulda got it to you quicker AND cheaper.. lol oh well, enjoy the gst
Old 03-04-2011, 05:22 AM
JUCD VPR

SO i'm stumped!

I re-adjusted the gear meshing and at WOT it SPARKS. Well I did wide open throttle a few times in a row to try to SEE where the problem was coming from exactly. Well By that time I already ripped off two teeth from the larger GST pinion gear. WOW completely frusterated beyond belief with this thing. For something SO SIMPLE it is really kicking my butt. It's like the gear mesh is right up until you REALLY give it power then it just rips the gears up. Put the mesh to tight and it sounds like it's binding. God this is frusterating!!

Man what a pain in my *****! Now i'll be waiting on parts for another week..ughhh
Old 03-04-2011, 05:57 AM
The Real Dogman

What parts do you need?? I have many..
Old 03-04-2011, 06:28 AM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: The Real Dogman

What parts do you need?? I have many..
Dang, I just bought two new gears a 17T and a 21T as they were both a bit damaged. I'm so frusterated I want to take a sledge hammer to this freaking truck right now. My god it's so simple it's stupid yet I still can not get it to mesh up right? I mean who can;t mesh gears up right? Me is the answer ot that question. I have NEVER had a problem like this before and i've owned over 40 freaking trucks!

Like I said the gears look and sound like they are meshed correctly, they even work well when going slow but when you put the power down POP POP SPARK?

I am going to try this one more time but I am now looking at another way to do this, if I tear up 25 bucks worth of gears again i'm going to flip out. I really feel like it's driving me crazy, maybe I have anger issues lol?

I saw a few people only have ONE single large PLASTIC spur gear on their GST transmission with a large thick metal pinion gear on the motor shaft. I'm wondering how the do this with a 3 speed transmission? Or what spur gear I would need to do that route.

I mean i've owned two GST's and never ONCE had a problem meshing the gears back up correctly and i've torn the motor out a dozen times, but this just isn;t working for some stupid reason....
Old 03-04-2011, 02:43 PM
The Real Dogman

The two speed pinions have to be lined up perfectly front to back and sie to side, but you are using a motor that has much more power too, so that might add to the need to be perfectly aligned.

I will look in my parts bin ad see if I have a spare set to send. If I do I will PM you for address.

Might wanna take a couple detailed pics of your setup and post them so I can look and see if all is ok....
Old 03-06-2011, 10:36 PM
lomdel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gear mesh is a difficult thing to get right. I use the paper-strip method mostly, but sometimes adjust it by feel and eye. Insert a strip (or two) of paper inbetween the gears, push together and tighten. Remove paper and gear mesh "should" be perfect. Always look for a little bit of play between pinions and spurs... Good luck! Please remember that this truck was not designed from the onset to be powered by a brushless system, so it will probably never run flawless and smooth. I run mine occasionally only and enjoy the cleanliness of electric power over nitro. Not always easier though...
Old 03-06-2011, 10:37 PM
lomdel

Gear mesh is a difficult thing to get right. I use the paper-strip method mostly, but sometimes adjust it by feel and eye. Insert a strip (or two) of paper inbetween the gears, push together and tighten. Remove paper and gear mesh "should" be perfect. Always look for a little bit of play between pinions and spurs... Good luck! Please remember that this truck was not designed from the onset to be powered by a brushless system, so it will probably never run flawless and smooth. I run mine occasionally only and enjoy the cleanliness of electric power over nitro. Not always easier though...
Old 03-07-2011, 05:38 AM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: lomdel

Gear mesh is a difficult thing to get right. I use the paper-strip method mostly, but sometimes adjust it by feel and eye. Insert a strip (or two) of paper inbetween the gears, push together and tighten. Remove paper and gear mesh ''should'' be perfect. Always look for a little bit of play between pinions and spurs... Good luck! Please remember that this truck was not designed from the onset to be powered by a brushless system, so it will probably never run flawless and smooth. I run mine occasionally only and enjoy the cleanliness of electric power over nitro. Not always easier though...
Thanks for the tip. I usually adjust by feel and sight but it can;t hurt to try the paper method now lol, i'll give it a try.

However I want this truck to run smooth and flawless to a point...., so if I need to convert to a center diff with custom plates then I will go that route later but I definately want it to be a reliable truck and right now it's just a pain in my butt. Hopefully I get this figured out, right now i'm waiting on parts so it'll probably be by the weekend before I get to re-adjust anything and add the new gears.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:40 AM
JUCD VPR

The motor mounted in the truck

Gear meshing up close showing the 2 speed pinion adapter

Motor and ESC mounted,
Old 03-07-2011, 06:18 AM
nomobux
My Feedback: (4)

Those gears are quite a ways out on the motor shaft. I wonder if there might be some flex going on ? Just a thought.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:31 AM
lomdel

Just be carefull to line up the pinions to the spurs exactly. It seems from your pics that the larger pinion and larger spur infringe a little bit. This can cause major sparks and grinding!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:19 AM
JUCD VPR

Just be carefull to line up the pinions to the spurs exactly. It seems from your pics that the larger pinion and larger spur infringe a little bit. This can cause major sparks and grinding!

Good point. This phot was taken a few weeks ago showing how I originally had it. Since that pic I have readjusted it 5 times and it was lined up perfect. I agree with what your saying though and will make sure this time I line it up perfect again.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:26 AM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: nomobux

Those gears are quite a ways out on the motor shaft. I wonder if there might be some flex going on ? Just a thought.
Hmm, thats a good point. I am not sure? I guess there would be no way to actually tell, unless I moved up the motor mount? But then it infringes on the rear skip plate chassis brace.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:29 AM
JUCD VPR

Also like I said, no binding occurs when running SLOW, it's when you really hit the throttle when it grinds.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:28 AM
nomobux
My Feedback: (4)

Possibly, it is flexing when you put the power to it as opposed to idling along ??
Old 04-04-2011, 04:54 AM
JUCD VPR

SO I got WAY to frusterated with this stupid simple problem and pulled the MOtor/ESC and i'm putting it in my Losi XXL Electric BL conversion.

HOWEVER, i just stumbled across the Center Diff GST electric conversion kit that just came out so I ordered the Center Diff kit. I think it's going to be a MUCH better set-up to run so i'm pretty excited. I am still going to run the Mamba Monster ESC and Castle 2200KV motor on 3S with FLux battery trays. I'll post in a week or so the new set-up. I feel better about it and it looks much cleaner and should perform MUCH better. Stay tuned... Oh the kit was 70 bucks which is a pretty good deal I think.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:20 AM
lomdel

ORIGINAL: JUCD VPR

SO I got WAY to frusterated with this stupid simple problem and pulled the MOtor/ESC and i'm putting it in my Losi XXL Electric BL conversion.

HOWEVER, i just stumbled across the Center Diff GST electric conversion kit that just came out so I ordered the Center Diff kit. I think it's going to be a MUCH better set-up to run so i'm pretty excited. I am still going to run the Mamba Monster ESC and Castle 2200KV motor on 3S with FLux battery trays. I'll post in a week or so the new set-up. I feel better about it and it looks much cleaner and should perform MUCH better. Stay tuned... Oh the kit was 70 bucks which is a pretty good deal I think.
Where did you get the conversion kit? Please tell!!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:27 AM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: JUCD VPR

Where did you get the conversion kit? Please tell!!
Just came out! I bought mine this morning. Looks awesome and very clean!

http://www.smrcinnovations.com/
Old 04-04-2011, 05:33 AM
lomdel

Yes, it does look clean. What parts do you need to complete the conversion? Bearings, what diff, screws, etc.?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:55 AM
JUCD VPR

Yes, it does look clean. What parts do you need to complete the conversion? Bearings, what diff, screws, etc.?
It comes with mounting hardware for the plates, says it also comes with a "list" of what parts you need, I.e. Diff, bearings, screws, then whatever brushless motor and ESC you want to ad din your set-up. I'm sticking with the Mamba Monster ESC and Castle 2200KV motor out of a BL E-Revo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.