Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE 20 Ignition & life4 battery question?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20 Ignition & life4 battery question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:50 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: DLE 20 Ignition & life4 battery question?

ORIGINAL: OliverJacob

If a Diode is rated for 1 Amp, then I would not put more current through it. It may be ok to overload it for a short time. Doing so consistingly will heat it up and sooner or later cause it to fail. Again - this one is good for most ignition systems.
But is is not enough for most radio systems. More then likely it will be more then 1 Amp, depending on the servos, the flying style and some other factors. Hard to measure.
If you fly a big bird, your servos combined will draw a lot more current. It may work for some time, but will fail under higher servo workload.
Diodes are the cheapest and smalles part on your plane, why not spending a few more cents to be on the safe side?

To the previous poster - do you think the manufacturer of this diode lies when he states a max current? Or do you think your receiver with servos will draw less? See, I point out this potential problem and maybe prevent someone from loosing their expensive model - by changing out a cheap part. I am happy if I can help people out and sometimes I need someones opinion. You are welcome.

So what is your mission here?

The rest of us are discussing powering an ignition module only. Not the entire flight pack. 1 amp should be plenty for that purpose.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:06 AM
ahicks

ORIGINAL: jstanton

I am thinking aout trying a RCeXL ignition kill swith w/BEC. Here is the web site. Has anyone used one of these on the DLE ignitiona with a Life4 or A123 battery?

http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/r...-with-bec.html

It must a a RF filter built into it because it pulls the power from the reciever.
Yes, a lot of us, but you need to reduce the power available to the ignition module? The receivers and servos have proven reliable using power stright from the batteries you're wondering about. The ignition module, maybe not so much, or not for long anyway. Most cut the voltage available to the rest of the flight pack down to a point considered safe for the ignition module - using methods made in the previous comments.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:27 AM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

There is another site that is discussing the version 2 RCEXL Kill switch with BEC and they are saying it is delivering 6v to the ignition using a 6.6v A123 battery. I am going to order 3 of these and test them. If they deliver more than 6v I will use the diode mether to cut the voltage under 6v
Old 01-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One 2 oz nickel metal hydrice 4.8 800 ma battery, no voltage reducers, no nothing, no problem with any RC EXL ignition for at least 2 solid hours of flying time..
Just sayin'
Sometimes we get carried away with new technology...
Old 01-02-2012, 08:16 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

There are different ignition systems. Most people know this, some don't. Find the specs for your system and
make sure your diode can take the current. Plain and simple.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

The RC EXL specs call for 4.8 to 6 volts...What they don't say is MORE than 6.0000000 volts from a new charge in a battery will exceed 6.000000 vots and damage the ignition...
The specs also say 35 BTDC for timing, wrong...Do I know more than RC EXL ? apparently about timing..Since 1986..When did RC EXL start ? RC EXL is a clone of C&H...Maybe Bill is wrong too ????[>:]
Old 01-02-2012, 09:05 AM
OliverJacob

Agree, a 4 cell NiMh works fine on the ignition. You can charge a LiFe very quick, but a fully charged pack gives you more than enough run time for a day.
Sufficient for the average user.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:20 AM
jstanton

I totally understand what you guy's are saying about the 4.8v nimh batteries and I have used them for years. I like the newer life4 batteries better and I like the idea of having only one type of battery to charge. That is why I am looking into the RCXEL Kill switch with BEC. I plan on running dual Life4 battery packs so I will have some redunacy. I will also make sure the RCEXL doesn't deliver any more than 6v to the ignition.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:27 AM
jstanton

I have done a little more recearch and it looks like the newer DLE ignition will take a 6.6v Life battery with out any regulator needed. Take a look at the DLE 20 manual.

http://www.dle-engines.com/dleg0020.html

From what it says in the technical notes a RCEXL kill switch with BEC should not need to be regulated down to under 6v
Old 01-02-2012, 09:54 AM
OliverJacob

The max. voltage on NiCd or NiMh is 6 Volts. But when you use a LiFe it is 6.6? Why would the ignition box care what type of battery is connected?
I would not trust this statement, drop the voltage down and you are on the safe side. When your LiFe is fully charged, it has more then 6.6 Volts.
My 2 cents - stay under 6 Volts, it's not worth to safe a few bucks and have your ignition module fail
Old 01-02-2012, 10:02 AM
jstanton

The max. voltage on NiCd or NiMh is 6 Volts. But when you use a LiFe it is 6.6? Why would the ignition box care what type of battery is connected?
I would not trust this statement, drop the voltage down and you are on the safe side. When your LiFe is fully charged, it has more then 6.6 Volts.
My 2 cents - stay under 6 Volts, it's not worth to safe a few bucks and have your ignition module fail
So you are saying you don't trust the what the DLE Manual says[X(] I will be testing the voltage that the RCEXL Kill switch with BEC delivers and if it is more than 6v I will than be using the diode method to bring the voltage down to 6v. I understand what you are saying. "It is better to be safe than sorry"
Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 AM
ahicks

I totally understand what you guy's are saying about the 4.8v nimh batteries and I have used them for years. I like the newer life4 batteries better and I like the idea of having only one type of battery to charge. That is why I am looking into the RCXEL Kill switch with BEC. I plan on running dual Life4 battery packs so I will have some redunacy. I will also make sure the RCEXL doesn't deliver any more than 6v to the ignition.
On the bold, me too, along with 2 switches. If I'm going to carry an extra battery and switch onboard, it just makes HUGE sense (to me anyway) to use them for redundancy supplying power for the entire system. This is the only/best reason I can think of to go to this trouble reducing power to the ignition.

I WOULD NOT trust the owner's manual or anyone else regarding running the ign. module on a 5 cell NiMh or LiFe pack that's over 6 volts. Agree with others. It's way too easy to install a diode.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:47 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

I have done a little more recearch and it looks like the newer DLE ignition will take a 6.6v Life battery with out any regulator needed. Take a look at the DLE 20 manual.

From what it says in the technical notes a RCEXL kill switch with BEC should not need to be regulated down to under 6v
THAT is NOT the DLE 20 mfg's manual, but rather what Hobbico/Tower Hobbies thinks it should be (look in the bottom left hand corner of first page).

Rcexl's own pdf files clearly state for over 6.0 volts to regulate down.
http://www.modelaviation.com.au/manu...rcexlspecs.pdf

Also, with a bit more research right here in the Gas Engine section, you'll find numerous posting by Jody & others, where the DLE20 ign module clearly dislikes 6.0 volts and over. Higher voltages fed into an ign module may be doable, but it shortens their life span.

All that's truly needed is 4.8 volts, and over 6.0 while doable isn't advisable.
While some claim to be using higher input voltages, when your fries, will those people replace yours?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:20 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is another site that is discussing the version 2 RCEXL Kill switch with BEC and they are saying it is delivering 6v to the ignition using a 6.6v A123 battery. I am going to order 3 of these and test them. If they deliver more than 6v I will use the diode mether to cut the voltage under 6v
The RCexl opto kill is not a voltage regulator or bec as some call them, The same voltage you put in will come out.

Milton
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53976.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	462.9 KB
ID:	1708583  
Old 01-02-2012, 12:12 PM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Three DLE 20s, all using an RCEXL opti-kill, a single diode and a single LiFe battery for ignition and receiver.

I put the diode between the opti-kill and the ignition module. The receiver and servos run on the full 6.6V from the LIFE battery. My set up is LiFe Batter > Switch > Y-Harness. One leg of the Y-harness goes to the Opti-Kill and the other to the receiver.

Some of those saying the diode is a single point of failure - well so is the switch, the ignition battery, the opti-kill and any connector that isn't put together right can fail. Just because they don't/can't do it doesn't mean it can be done. In my case, I've been doing the single LiFe battery with opti-kill and diode for more than a year now with no problems. I'm not buying the doom and gloom stories. Buy yourself a 2.4ghz radio and welcome yourself to the 21st century!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Frankie b

[quote]ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

THAT is NOT the DLE 20 mfg's manual, but rather what Hobbico/Tower Hobbies thinks it should be (look in the bottom left hand corner of first page).

Rcexl's own pdf files clearly state for over 6.0 volts to regulate down.
http://www.modelaviation.com.au/manu...rcexlspecs.pdf

Take a look a this bottom of the page info on your statement.

voltage Supply range by:
NiCd/NiMh 4 cell battery pack (4.8v >500mA)
NiCd/NiMh 5 cell battery pack (6.0v >800mA)
Li-Fe (A123)2 cell battery pack (6.6v>1000mA)
Li-Poly 2 cell battery pack and other bettery or More (use Switching BEC
voltage regulator. out 5.0V~6.0v) or (7.4V Li-Poly Serially connects two
IN4007 diode to fall voltage the use)
http://www.rcexl.com By Rcexl 2007-09-01

A123 6.6 volts packs are not the ones to be regulated as per Rcexl mnfg.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Frankie b

I tested my Rcexl ignitions down to 3.3v and up to 6.6v and all worked fine. I use BP Hobbies Ignition battery eliminator circuit w/kill switch feeded from the receiver with two A123 packs direct to the receiver with individual switches. We fly almost 52 weeks of the year at 85 to 95 degrees of temperature and no problem with the ignitions
Old 01-02-2012, 12:39 PM
OliverJacob

Now I can understand why TOM and Jedi ran away from this....
Old 01-02-2012, 12:42 PM
jstanton

I really do appricate all of the input you all have given, but here is what I plan to try. I will buy the RCXEL Opto Kill switch with BEC and use the diode method to bring the voltage down to 5.4v going into the Ignition. I will be using two 2500mah life4 6v batteries and two switchs going to the reciever. The diode will plug into the reciever and than into the RCXEL Opto Kill switch which will plug into the ignition. The RCEXL Opto Kill switch with BEC pulls power from the reciever. Here is the link to it and you will see from the photo on VV web page that it is inteneded to plug into the reciever.

http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/r...-with-bec.html

Thanks for all your help
Old 01-02-2012, 12:52 PM
BadAzzMaxx

I am still trying to figure out where Valley View gets there is a BEC made into the RCexl Opto kill, The instruction say in red bright letters they do not have them and it is the same opto I sell.

Type K
Ver 2.0

Milton
Old 01-02-2012, 01:04 PM
btflycrazy
My Feedback: (1)

i know this is for dle 20 but i run a castle bec  programmed at 5.5 volts and a 11.1 lipo battery for my zenoah G20  i charge it once a month and never had a problem with it yet
Old 01-02-2012, 01:12 PM
BadAzzMaxx

ORIGINAL: btflycrazy

i know this is for dle 20 but i run a castle bec programmed at 5.5 volts and a 11.1 lipo battery for my zenoah G20 i charge it once a month and never had a problem with it yet

This will do the same thing for 6 bucks plus shipping.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...for_Lipo_.html

Milton
Old 01-02-2012, 01:30 PM
a1pcfixer

Now I can understand why TOM and Jedi ran away from this....
Yep!
Some people 'get it', while others don't.[&:]

But it is fun to watch the crazy input from some.
Very entertaining![8D]
Old 01-02-2012, 01:32 PM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: BadAzzMaxx

I am still trying to figure out where Valley View gets there is a BEC made into the RCexl Opto kill, The instruction say in red bright letters they do not have them and it is the same opto I sell.

Type K
Ver 2.0

Milton
Jody's posted about that here in the past.
Something about soldering a spot on the unit.

Directions are in extreme fine print.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:50 PM
jstanton

I have been reading two forums on this and here is the link to the other forum and it seems they have a good grasp on what is going on with the RCEXL Opto kill switch with BEC. Here is the link. It seems VV has a new version in stock that is not yet been posted to thier web site. I am calling them tomorrow morning to find out for sure.

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...=2#post1632748

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.