Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DX18 Programming, how are you all getting on?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DX18 Programming, how are you all getting on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:16 AM
gooseF22

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: DX18 Programming, how are you all getting on?

ORIGINAL: David Searles

ORIGINAL: rcjets_63

I'm not believing the hit counts on the 1222X receiver either. I flew the Mixed Reaction about 20 times at Kentucky with my DX18 and on every flight I had A:255. It didn't matter if we were flying left-to-right, right-to-left, short flight, long flight, in close, far away, or how many people were flying, it was always A:255. Antennas B, L, and R typically had counts of 137 to 355 though on one flight it showed 9999. Always F:0, H: 0.

Funny thing is that the antennas are mounted exactly as they were when I was flying DSM2 with the 12X transmitter. My last flight with DSM2 had counts of A:0, B:4, L: 0, R: 7. I heard that DSMX was better so I bought new receivers and now (with counts in the hundreds) I'm wondering if it was worth it.

Regards,

Jim
Jim,

I seem to remember that the weakness of the new DSMX is in the exact environment that KY Jets represents. Eights guys flying, another 12 in que and God knows how many more transmitters on in the pits. If memory serves, DSMX had severe problems at Joe Nall earlier this year.

David S
my feeble attempt at the difference from an operators point of view:

the logger software logic is completely different.., (and separate from the main sequencer logic ) DSMX data logger shows numbers of recorded collisions AND corrupted packets during sequencing.. the DSM2 shows number of swaps... completely different... Pay close attention to the F number.. has anyone gotten more than a few Fades (F) on DSMX?.. . I admit it takes some getting used to.. but when any scanning receiver is doing its thing you will get corrupted packets and collisions... It happens alot on network wireless.. so it uses error checking logic to reconcile.. In the case of DSMX, it records it on a counter(issue) and unless all the antennas see the same corruption at the same time, you are good to go, otherwise it records a fade... I have gotten 1 fade on one flight.. no holds, so from my humble perspective, the performance has been excellent on both DSMX and DSM2 with the new DX18.. Im in for the long haul. they are just different cats..

Where X really pays is when some one in the parking lot or further back, or another flight line turns on his DSM2 transmitter for his little miglet park flyer/heli/working on plane and that transmitter doesn't see yours up there flying, and they end up on the same freq.. but even if that happens, it still works ok most of the time due to the low duty cycle(tx sending)... Thats why no one should be flying in the parking lots/away from the flight line in an event.. Another example I can think of would be Joe Nall with the many flight lines...2 DSM2 transmitters could be on the same freqs because they cannot see each other on the ground, but the model could see both signals, and the signals align well enough in duty cycle time, it could cause a lockout.. With DSMX, the design change was made to eliminate the data acquisition phase and is different for each cycle and it changes freq order/selection within, so you will have more collisions by design but overall an increased reliability and lower risk of an overall lockout.

If you could hook a counter up to any FHSS, you would see the same thing as more sequencing radios are turned on.. ..

Hope that makes sense..

I do wonder if there could be similar issue with the 255 on A.. HH was working the logger issue in the Xplus when I heard last.. they were very responsive when we found that issue.. thanks John and Chris!!..

goose

Old 07-18-2012, 10:50 AM
gooseF22

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: John Redman

Here we go again
LOL!!.. Chief.. do tell..do tell...
Old 07-19-2012, 05:56 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When will the New X-36 be out
Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 PM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after 20+ years only using futaba radios... I bought the DX18!!! One question I have trying to convert my DV8R over to it:

I set the jet up with 2 ail, 2 elev, 2 rud, 2 flaps.. Im trying to program 'Crow' setting, I trying to do it with 2 mixes, LFlap -> LAil and RFlap and RAil. I get one mix to work and there is no LFAP -> LAil. My left flap is set to the GEAR and RFlap is set to Aux1. After getting the Right side of the wing correct, now the left aileron only will go down. How is everyone setting up crow?

thanks
Old 02-16-2013, 09:07 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

I have the same setup. Only one mix is required,
FLP-LAL
Rate 80%
Trim INH
Switch D

The 80% control how much the ailerons raise. You adjust this value to whatever you need to raise ailerons. If ailerons go down, change value to a negative number.

Dustin does a tutorial on www.rcjetaddiction.com for setting up crow on the DX18

Dustin, correct me if I'm wrong on this
Old 02-17-2013, 06:43 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

You don't need two mixes,. Bobo is correct
Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Dustin Buescher

That looks good! One extra step is to assign 2 servo ailerons first.

Dustin

ORIGINAL: bcovish

FLP-LAL
Rate 80%
Trim INH
Switch D

The 80% control how much the ailerons raise. You adjust this value to whatever you need to raise ailerons. If ailerons go down, change value to a negative number.

Dustin does a tutorial on www.rcjetaddiction.com for setting up crow on the DX18

Old 02-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Zagzoo

FLP-LAL
Rate 80%
Trim INH
Switch D

My channel assignments on my receiver:

Ail is RAL
AUX2 is LAL

LAL dosn't come up when I scroll down the list, only RAL. So I do the following mix:

FLP -> RAL
Rate 80%
TRIM Inb
Switch D

RAL goes up and LAL goes down.. ? Do I have to use the preset channel assignments?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Dustin Buescher

I recommend you download the .spm file I have posted on RCJA.KingCat.SPMYou can take a look at this program and see for yourself how Crow is accomplished. Complete crow programming is available here for a small donation.

LAL will be there when programmed correctly.<br type="_moz" />
Old 02-18-2013, 04:40 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Zagzoo

FLP-LAL
Rate 80%
Trim INH
Switch D

My channel assignments on my receiver:

Ail is RAL
AUX2 is LAL

LAL dosn't come up when I scroll down the list, only RAL. So I do the following mix:

FLP -> RAL
Rate 80%
TRIM Inb
Switch D

RAL goes up and LAL goes down.. ? Do I have to use the preset channel assignments?

Thanks
You don't have to use the preset channel assignments but if you intend to change them, you must setup any mixes before reassigning the channel.
Before doing the channel mapping you will be able to access LAL. After the remapping, you won't be able to create a new mix
to LAL(or other remapped channel) but the mix(s) that you created before remapping will still work... Hopefully this issue will be fixed in the next version of Airware...
Old 02-18-2013, 05:07 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: TimWatson

Why people want to know about all these fades etc is beyond me. If the plane dont glitch and it flys ok that is all you need to know</p>
On any system a signal strangth logger could be useful for learning how to setup antennas and route wires for optimum performance. Carbon fibre is used more and more and it's hard to predict where the limit is. A range test is a good start but maybe not everything.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 AM
Zagzoo

Well... went back to inital channel assignments.. I now have crow working!!

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Zagzoo

Also.. looked thru the manual 100x... where can i set the Left trim to x+3 (nose gear steering)?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:32 PM
cyphur01

Make sure x-plus is enabled on the frame rate screen. Go to channel assign on the system setup. Then go to the third screen (x-plus input config) by clicking next through the screen. There you go. X+3 : INH. Change it to LTrD.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:42 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

That should do it.

I put mine on the right trimmer. I did that so that I could taxi the plane with the rudder stick and trim the nose wheel with the right hand using right trimmer
Old 02-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Zagzoo

Thanks.. didnt think of it being on a switch. Im used to the futaba method and assigning a 'trim'.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:22 PM
foundryratjim
My Feedback: (93)

Has anyone programmed a SwitchGlo Pro with the DX18 yet?
Old 09-01-2013, 06:17 AM
wfield0455

Looks like a pretty simple device that simply plugs into a switched channel. What exactly to you want to do, turn on glow at low throttle, etc ?
Old 09-01-2013, 06:34 AM
foundryratjim

Yes , I have a cub with a Laser 150 mounted inverted and it is cowled in pretty good. I have it programmed so that it will come on with a switch for starting but I would would like to have it on at low throttle for landing and messing around at low speeds.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:01 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by foundryratjim
Yes , I have a cub with a Laser 150 mounted inverted and it is cowled in pretty good. I have it programmed so that it will come on with a switch for starting but I would would like to have it on at low throttle for landing and messing around at low speeds.
I'm sure there must be a simpler way, and if someone finds it I would lover to see it but I think I have the functions you want by using 3 mixes and a couple of setups in the system menu. For this example, I've assumed that your SwitchGlo Pro is plugged into AX5 and is controlled by Switch H with position 0 disabling the glow driver.

In System Setting -> Channel Assign menu, select NEXT to get to the Channel Input Config Screen and ensure that AX5 (or channel used by SwitchGlo Pro) is set to Inh.
If you want the glow driver active at less than 25% throttle, which is the default setting, you can skip this step, otherwise; in System Setting -> Analog Switch Setup menu, scroll to the second column associated with Thro: and set your throttle stick to the desired on / off trigger point for the glow driver (driver is active below this point) and press the roller to update the setting.

Next, create 3 mixes, substituting channel SwitchGlo Pro is connected to for AX5 used for this example.

First mix:
On->AX5, Rate: -100%, 0%, Offset: 0%, Switch: Switch H set to active in position 0. A channel, with it's input inhibited (in System Setup->Channel Assign) defaults to it's centered, or 0% position. This mix sets the glow driver channel to OFF (assumed to be -100%) whenever switch H is set to 0 position.

Second Mix:
ON->AX5, Rate: 100%, 0%, Offset: 0%, Switch: Combo Switch, Combo Switch 1: Thr. Stick active in position 2, Relation: AND, Switch 2: Switch H active in position 1. This mix turns the glow driver ON (100%) when switch H is in position 1 and the throttle stick is below the trip point (25% by default).

Third Mix:
ON->AX5, Rate: -100%, 0%, Offset: 0%, Switch: Combo Switch, Combo Switch 1: Thr. Stick active in positions 0 and 1, Relation: AND, Switch 2: Switch H active in position 1. This mix turns the glow driver OFF (-100%) when switch H is in position 1 and the throttle stick is above the the trip point (25% by default).

Try adding these mixes and verifying their operation in the monitor menu. If someone has a simpler way to get all this functionality, please post your solution.

Last edited by wfield0455; 09-01-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:39 AM
foundryratjim

WOW! I will work on it this evening. I will post if I can make it work or not. Thank you for your time and your post!
Old 09-01-2013, 06:59 PM
foundryratjim

Well I tried the setup and I ended up with the glow coming on at 25% and staying on to 100%. It will shut off when the stick gets below 25%. I must have one of the values backward. I will look at some more tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:42 AM
wfield0455

Since I didn't have a glow driver to test this against I made an assumption that +100% was ON and -100% was OFF and then verified the mixes worked as expected with the servo monitor. Looks like I guessed wrong. Try simply reversing each of the mix values to change the ON / OFF states. If you still have troubles, look in the servo monitor and verify which state (+100% or -100%) the glow driver turns on and which channel you and switch you are using to control it and I'll double check the mixes..
Old 09-02-2013, 03:47 PM
foundryratjim

I did as you suggested and the glow now comes on when I come down from high throttle to low and will shut off when I go back off of low throttle. The problem with the values being reversed might have to do with my throttle servo has to be reversed to work. The only other issue is that the glow will come on when I power up the receiver no matter what position switch H is in. Switch H is working, when I flip it off when the glow is working in the low throttle position the glow goes off. This is not a real problem as the GloPro Glow has a 12 second timer on it so it will not run the receiver battery down.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:10 PM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by foundryratjim
I did as you suggested and the glow now comes on when I come down from high throttle to low and will shut off when I go back off of low throttle. The problem with the values being reversed might have to do with my throttle servo has to be reversed to work. The only other issue is that the glow will come on when I power up the receiver no matter what position switch H is in. Switch H is working, when I flip it off when the glow is working in the low throttle position the glow goes off. This is not a real problem as the GloPro Glow has a 12 second timer on it so it will not run the receiver battery down.
If' I'm understanding you correctly, Switch H operates correctly and prevents the glow driver from turning on at low throttle but the glow driver comes on when you first turn on the airplane, regardless of the state of switch H? If this happens, does the glow driver shut off as soon as the receiver connects and you have control of the airplane?

If all of the above is correct, there may be a solution depending on which receiver you have. Some Spektrum receivers only support fail-safe on throttle and all other controls will remain as they where if the receiver goes into fail-safe due to loss of signal. Some of the higher end Spektrum and JR DSM2/X receivers also allow you to set all of your controls to a predetermined position if the receiver goes into fail-safe due to loss of signal. IF your receiver supports pre-set fail-safe, try rebinding using the following method;

1) With transmitter of turn the receiver on, with the bind plug installed and verify that all of the remotes are flashing rapidly.
2) Remove the bind plug from the receiver..
2) With the transmitter still off, select low throttle, turn Switch H to the off position for the glow driver.
3) Press the bind button on the DX18 and wait for the bind process to complete..

Turn everything off, turn on the transmitter (with switch H still off) and then the receiver and see if the glow driver still turns on at first..

Wayne

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.