Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New to gas what motor should I use

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:47 AM
benboy17
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to gas what motor should I use

Thanks for all the ideas guys and gals. Gonna dig a little more before I make a final decision.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:04 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also if you want to improve any gas engine performance,cheap or expensive , swap out the factory ring(s) for a Bowman set. Makes a big difference.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:43 PM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget the Fox/Brison 2.4 is also an excellent engine.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:48 PM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

I have that plane with a TGY (Turnigy) 52cc on the nose. The engine is not one of the better ones, but mine has been reliable so far. I don't 3-D, so it doesn't matter if it will 3D or not. I'm not suggesting you get that engine, because I hear it is a crap-shoot as to whether you will get a good one or not. Heck, I don't even know if they are still available or not.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:22 AM
Lightspeed1551
My Feedback: (4)

I put a Brisson 52cc on a 160 Great Planes U-Can-Do. The 22x8 prop was gonna hit so I ordered taller gear from the TNT landing gear Company. They have a pretty simple ordering sheet and make nice stuff. However that plane has a 1700sq. inch wing and took the bit of extra engine weight with out a problem. Good luck.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:26 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Because DA is Very reliable, always starts and runs, if you wreck it, DA normally only charges for parts and not labor. You don't have to worry if you have over 6V battery on the ignition unit with a 6.6 charge on it(Chinese ignition units won't take it), there is a reason, that it is the most popular engine for the IMAC guys. Tolerances are more stringent then Chinese junk that doesn't run, or produce power, or comes apart later. I have owned at least 10 different DA motors, and never had one fail, yet, my students' who buy the Chinese junk, have engine issues all of the time, failed engines, failed cranks, failed ignition units is the biggest issue, etc. You get what you pay for and most of all DA is MADE IN THE USA!! This is all IMHO........Dan
Old 11-01-2012, 04:49 AM
benboy17

Soooo does anyone wanna sell me a DA50? Only thing I dont wanna do is put a bunch of money into a nice motor if the plane is junk as mentioned before.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:01 AM
RCFlyerDan

Buy new! Look at the engine as a minimum 5 year investment, unless you are a horrible r/c pilot and crash alot. The engine will go from airframe to airframe if you are a bad pilot. DA will fix it back to new. If you divid it out that way, it isn't that much cost. You will have the warranty, and you will know that the engine hasn't been abused by the previous owner, who may not have known how to break it in or keep it running.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:39 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: benboy17

Soooo does anyone wanna sell me a DA50? Only thing I dont wanna do is put a bunch of money into a nice motor if the plane is junk as mentioned before.
Can't recall anyone here who knows what they are talking about saying that the plane was junk. Why not just buy a suitable engine, fly the model and see for yourself and give us a report on your findings.

Karol
Old 11-01-2012, 09:14 AM
benboy17

Good point!!! Think thats just what I will do. Will keep yall posted on the progress.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 AM
benboy17

Are DA's user friendly since this will be my first gas motor? How is DA'S customer support? I cant stand poor service!!!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:18 AM
RCFlyerDan

What did I just say earlier about them? They are the best...period.....besides, since the engines are so good and a proven engine, that unless you mess it up, you normally don't need DA, unless you have worn the engine out for overhaul, or you wrecked it.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:19 AM
benboy17

ORIGINAL: RCFlyerDan

What did I just say earlier about them? They are the best...period

Are they pretty user friendly?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:23 AM
RCFlyerDan

You will still need someone who has had gas help you with it....or should.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 AM
RCFlyerDan

What did I just say earlier about them? They are the best...period.....besides, since the engines are so good and a proven engine, that unless you mess it up, you normally don't need DA, unless you have worn the engine out for overhaul, or you wrecked it.

Try to get customer service for the Chinese engines! Good luck on most of them.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:32 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: benboy17

Are DA's user friendly since this will be my first gas motor? How is DA'S customer support? I cant stand poor service!!!
DA's are excellent but they are not the only good engine available. If your pocket is not deep enough to buy a DA you could get a DLE 55 from Valley View and have a very nice and user friendly running engine and obtain very good customer service if needed.

Karol
Old 11-01-2012, 10:42 AM
RCFlyerDan

Let's put it this way.......Do you want to go to the flying field and fly? Or do you want to go to the flying field and have a 50/50 chance of having issues from a Chinese engine? How much is reliablity worth to you? Let me say too, that I do not work or get any benefit from DA, I am just a turbine and gas instructor(look at my gallery) that is tired of the crap engines that guys show up with at the field, and expect them to work perfectly. I will say, that you do have a 50/50 chance of getting a good Chinese engine, as some have, but if you buy DA, you will have a 100% chance to have an excellent engine. The DA-50 has been out now for maybe ten years? So, all issues are gone on the newer models. DA did have initial issues with the carb on the earlier 50's, but those have been resolved. IF you buy a DA, and you have an issue at the field, chances are good that it is operator error! With Chinese, you have a 50/50 chance that it is operator error or an engine/ignition issue. I have been flying r/c since I was 11 years old, and will be 53 in December.....I have seen it.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:58 AM
benboy17

How do I know what size standoffs to get?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:07 AM
RCFlyerDan

They come with the engine. You will see that they make the carb extremely close to the firewall box. This is NOT an issue and yes, air will get into the carb. Do not cut a hole in the fire wall box to creat more air flow, all this will do is create a venturi effect to the carburator, and decrease the suction of air that the carb has for the engine. You adjust the cowling accordingly after the engine is mounted. I have even helped some students on some planes, shorten the fire box to make the cowling fit better. You do not shorten the stand offs.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:20 PM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

Let's put it this way.......Do you want to go to the flying field and fly? Or do you want to go to the flying field and have a 50/50 chance of having issues from a Chinese engine? How much is reliablity worth to you? Let me say too, that I do not work or get any benefit from DA, I am just a turbine and gas instructor(look at my gallery) that is tired of the crap engines that guys show up with at the field, and expect them to work perfectly. I will say, that you do have a 50/50 chance of getting a good Chinese engine, as some have, but if you buy DA, you will have a 100% chance to have an excellent engine. The DA-50 has been out now for maybe ten years? So, all issues are gone on the newer models. DA did have initial issues with the carb on the earlier 50's, but those have been resolved. IF you buy a DA, and you have an issue at the field, chances are good that it is operator error! With Chinese, you have a 50/50 chance that it is operator error or an engine/ignition issue. I have been flying r/c since I was 11 years old, and will be 53 in December.....I have seen it.
What an interesting opinion. I have 4 DLE55s. According to you two of them should be bad, but not so. I have flown them since they first came out. I did have a bearing failure, but DLE fixed that issue. Several of the DA flyers at my field have observed my results and have also purchased the product.

Look, I don't care where they come from or how interesting a political discussion can be. What I'm interested in is a product that works and has service available. The product is a benefit to some in the Hobby and some ( as it always is ) will not chose to use them. We had the same kind of thing after ww2..... No Japanese stuff..... Now no one has them on the hit list. Politics aside, I just want to enjoy the hobby. Oh, don't get me wrong, I think the Chinese product is continuing to improve with time in the marketplace. DLE is not the only decent product by far.

Take China out of the hobbyshop and see what you got left. Take em out of airframes and see what you got left.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:26 PM
RCFlyerDan

ORIGINAL: bgw45

I have 4 DLE55s. According to you two of them should be bad, but not so. .
Maybe........just maybe..........some other poor sucker got the other 4.......lol
Old 11-01-2012, 01:40 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running gas for awhile and club members have been running gas for decades. All of the same opinion,once you get them set-up you (almost) never have to touch them again. Be it converted weekwacker,chainsaw engines or purpose built engines be it chicom or more expensive engines. Some you may have to change the gaskets,pumps in the carb to combat the ethanol in the gas...not that hard of a job. Change the rings out for improved performance,  maybe change the spark plug if it's a chicom engine,use the best oil you can afford to mix, get it running, set the low and high needles. Fly it, and break it in then ....maybe re-tune the carb needles again and that should be it.
You don't have to spend a lot on a gas engine to have a good,powerful, reliable one. Yes there is some junk out there but not all of the lower priced engines are junk.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:44 PM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

I have 2 DLE 20's, 1 Dle 55, 1 ZDZ 60, 1 Turnigy 52, 1 crrc 55pro twin, and several weed whacker conversions, and all have been reliable so far (knock on wood). I also have 2 DA 50's, a DA 100L, 2 G38 Zenoahs, 3 G20ei's, 2 G23's , and and a G26 and they also have been reliable. I must admit that I expect more from the Zenoahs and the DA's, but maybe that's because I paid more for them. I would be much more irritated if one of the Zenoahs or DA's gave up the ghost, than if one of the others. Again, that is directly related to the price paid. I,ve got to say, however, that I have been very pleasantly surprised with the DLE's. So far, they have all been great, as well as the others at my field. Just my opinion.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:39 PM
thepamster

I actually prefer Zenoahs over just about everything but the power to weight ratio is just not as good as DA or DLE. I will likely buy my next engine as a DLE but will get it from a reputable dealer who will back it such as Valley View. Sometimes it is best to buy an engine based on support available rather than performance hearsay.
I hear that DA of course is hard to beat in performance as well as backing but i just wish they were just a little cheaper, just a little.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:12 AM
RCFlyerDan

I too, love Zenoah's, but they really aren't for the airframe that the OP asked about for his questions. IMHO, Zenoah's and DA's are the best out there for reliabiltiy and performance, and customer support, should you need it from them. I have owned BME's, Zenoah, ZDZ, DA, Saito FG36, and worked on just about all of the Chinese junk that my students have bought, one even had a Robi conversion that really never produced power. There is a little .17 Chinese gas engine that is being sold on the Bay and other places! Pure junk, had one student get one of those...it now sits in the closet as a boat anchor. It never ran right, or produced power, no matter how long he and I worked with it. AND NO customer support!!! I go to the field to fly, not to tinker with junk. As I have said before, I am a turbine CD/gas Instructor that is tired of messing with the junk that shows up, because of guys trying to save a hundred or two here and there. Good Luck!

PS- I have an Italian Student that bought one of the new Mintor .38's. Beautiful designed engine. During break in, and yes we were running it very rich, the inside of the crank, and piston started to come apart. After only 10-12 flights, the engine is back at Top Dawg Aviation for repairs. Now, the Student did find out that it was in the production of the engine, and Mintor had issues with the .33 and .38's. But, it is considered an off brand here in the USA. He bought it, because he is Italian. Enough said. I have another student that we just started his Evo-.45....so far, so good! But, another student had an Evo-.26 or .35 and the magnet was bad on the sensor...never had that happen before, but now I have seen it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.