Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

generally most powerful engine brand

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

generally most powerful engine brand

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 05:24 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: generally most powerful engine brand

ORIGINAL: maxtenet

Chuck, are you an MECA member?

Max
No, with a few exceptions most of my stuff dates from the '70's to now.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:12 PM
maxtenet

zagnut,

You sound like a man with a mission, a boy with a gun. got any pictures in your pocket of the lucky one? Your a big mess!

Max
Old 09-29-2003, 08:46 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Engines are just plain neat in their own right. Some guys like to buy and run engines simply to run them, and then sell them to buy something else (like me) or stash em' away for "later".

I too have owned too many engines to remember. I love to run engines!

I would put my Jett .46 up against any of the modern day "sport" performance engines anytime, anywhere. Not including the non-throttled 40 size rear exhaust piped engines, I am comparing apples to apples here (muffled side exhaust). Yes, they are more money than an OS, or TT, etc but thats what they are so buy one or buy 2 of something else.

I think there are many great engines in today's marketplace that are great performers. The Webra 50 comes to mind, the YS 45 is a good engine too. Why piss on one or the other because it can run 200 rpm faster? Buy one of each!

One thing about the Jetts however, allthough they make great power, they also throttle exceptionally well and hand start (one flip - honest!) easily, idle super low too. All around best engine I have in the 40 class...

I second the PIco/Skyward 40 engine also as being a great buy. Its a bit heavier built than some, but they also make good power and handle well.

Maxtenet, are you a meca member? I am, # 4651. I joined mainly because of my love for antique sparkers and I used to have a huge vintage 1/2A collection (sold it off to pay off student loans last year) but I enjoy being part of the group.

Andrew Coholic
Old 09-29-2003, 09:39 PM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

Anyone must choose the type of engine to use by the type of flying and type of airframe they intend to use. By asking which have the most power you miss the question which develop the most thrust. Large lumber spins up more thrust even with slightly lower rpm. Most high performance engines are designed to spin high rpm with smallish props. This may yield high HP numbers but may not hover a plane or make a large plane climb usefully.
In side exhaust engines I agree that Nelson and jett are on top but I've seen none at the club field.
Rossi, Webra, MVVS, and K&B make the most powerful .45-.50 engines I've seen at the local field.
I am constantly amazed at how well some engines perform while others just like them seem troublesome. I've never had an engine that I couldn't get to run acceptably.
If you plan to be in the hobby for a long time and want an engine that will be there too remember that parts availability is also important.

Strykaas: I have about the same number of planes as engines. I prefer to set them up and not move them from plane to plane. Too bad that I can't outfit them all with flightpacks at the same time. I am trying. I have an 1800 sq foot building in which I store models as well as two vans and a 6X10 enclosed trailer.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:48 PM
ajcoholic

I run an APC 11-4 on my Jett .46 in a fun fly plane. As long as you keep the top end RPM at 16,000 or above it runs great. Dont overprop it. The Jetts are not made to lug big wood (or plastic) slow, but then again if thats what you want to do go with a 4 stroke.

Take a good look at the Irvine's also. My .53 is still gaining power after a whole season of constant use. Nice engine, often overlooked.

AJC
Old 09-29-2003, 10:00 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

AJ thinks like I do, that's how I ended up with 98 engines and have a MDS 1.48 coming this week. Maybe the last one available, I had to take a scratch and dent to get this one, only the box is damaged.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:06 AM
Red Baron Mike
My Feedback: (287)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out the relatively new K&B .48. Great power for just over $ 100.00.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:36 AM
f2racer

I run an APC 11-4 on my Jett .46 in a fun fly plane. As long as you keep the top end RPM at 16,000 or above it runs great. Dont overprop it. The Jetts are not made to lug big wood (or plastic) slow, but then again if thats what you want to do go with a 4 stroke.
Exactly how fast is your Jett .46 spinning an APC 11x4? My MVVS .49 spins an APC 12x4 at 15,000 rpm. A quick calculation shows that you're Jett would need to spin over 17,500 rpm in order to match the thrust...
Old 09-30-2003, 06:38 AM
ajcoholic

If I recall, and it was a while since I tached it - in the low 17's. I run 15% fuel.

Like I said, I am not going to bash anything - I have not had an MVVS but am sure they are fine engines.

But, the Jett is also the best throttleing, best idling and best transitioning engine I have run also. All I can tell you is what I know first hand, that it is still my favourite. And not becasue it is a "jett" or cost more. Just cause' it runs the " best" overall.

AJC
Old 09-30-2003, 08:46 AM
f2racer

ORIGINAL: ajcoholic

If I recall, and it was a while since I tached it - in the low 17's. I run 15% fuel.
Wow, I've never propped an engine to hit revs that high. I've found the sweet spot for my .40 sized engines (.40-.53) is between 13-15k rpm. Anything less IMHO and the engine is overpropped and runs poorly. Anything more, at least on my engines, I'm afraid of what parts will break on the inside. The engines can probably handle it, but for peace of mind, I usually use a slightly larger prop to get the revs in my comfort zone.

If the Jett can sustain those rpms without breaking, I may need to try one.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:59 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

I think most people underestimate how many RPM's their engines will turn and not break. I have a pair of OS 46 VF's on a Duellist that have been propped to turn over 17K since '97. However, I didn't fly it much this year. Engines still feel new.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:19 AM
ajcoholic

If the Jett can sustain those rpms without breaking, I may need to try one.
For the sport Jett 46, Dub says in the instructions to prop it to turn a MINIMUM of 16,000 rpms on the ground. ANything less and you will experience overheating and a loss in power.

AJC
Old 09-30-2003, 11:50 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: maxtenet

zagnut,

You sound like a man with a mission, a boy with a gun. got any pictures in your pocket of the lucky one? Your a big mess!

Max
hey, don't go confusin me with Bak_WOODS_Hik, i'm just a spudboy with an uncontrollable urge for mink stoles...

seriously, i bought the ys' back in '88 after reading clarence lee's review where he got 16,500 rpm with a zinger 10x6 while using a muffler. the close to 17,000 i got with a 10x6 was a while back and i don't recall the brand of prop but i don't use zingers so it was either apc, mas or rev-up. i don't think the rev-up has less load than apc and i know fer sher that the mas doesn't. the reading came from a friends tnc tach and not my royal pos so i'll stand by statement even if it means that i'm through being cool.

i don't doubt that the jett is a much better engine in design, craftsmanship, reliability and perhaps power and can only wonder how it would perform with a large bore carb and pressurized fuel system.

be stiff,
dave
Old 09-30-2003, 03:30 PM
maxtenet

Folks,

Until you have owned and flown a Jett you will never know what true r/c engine nirvana is all about! As close to perfection as you can get!

Chuckmonger , most of my engines are from 60's and 70's, MECA covers all that stuff and has a lot of engines and parts available through their swap sheet. You should join 'em if you are interested in collecting engines.

Andrew, I am member # 4197 and really enjoy knowing that there are other engine nuts out there. Maybe we should start a collectors forum?

Max
Old 09-30-2003, 04:40 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Until you have owned and flown a Jett you will never know what true r/c engine nirvana is all about!
What do you mean ? Talking about the sound ?
Old 09-30-2003, 07:25 PM
JimTrainor

Jett not jet !!!
nirvana is here: http://www.jettengineering.com
Old 10-01-2003, 05:30 AM
Strykaas

Yes I knew it was about Jett, but when you say "nirvana", is it about speed or about the sound of en engine running @ 25000 rpm ?
Old 10-01-2003, 06:28 AM
ajcoholic

I think he meant the all around Jett experience, like I said they are not only beautifully made, they are excellent running engines in all respects and also make awesome power. In a word, they are as close to the ultimate all around engine that I have run. No bad points - other than one if you want to be picky, they are noisier than many others. But for some of us thats not an issue either.

AJC
Old 10-01-2003, 07:24 AM
Strykaas

Ok

Just a question on these engines. Is some extra guru IC engine knowledge necessary to properly run/tune them ? Or is the "basic OS engine user" able to cope with it ?
Old 10-01-2003, 11:19 AM
ajcoholic

No way! They run like that from the factory. Just follow the run in instructions and you cant go wrong.

AJC
Old 10-01-2003, 11:56 AM
Strykaas

That's fine !

They must the most commonly used in speed competition, then ? Pylon racing, etc...
Old 10-01-2003, 12:18 PM
maxtenet

Yes, I did mean the all around engine experience. As far as running them, once broken in (and they have very explicit instructions for this, down to the actual rpm and # of minutes to run and cool down), they are like that Ronco rotiserie. Just set and forget it! In five years I haven't had to touch the needle valve, and I'm not exagerrating. I wish others could make an engine like this.

The designer, Dub Jett is well known and a former world champion in speed competition and they do make special engines for speed, pylon and the like as well as great sport engines. They compete with Nelsons, Edmunds, Cylclons and a lot of limited production engines from specialty shops. Check out this website to see some pictures and info about the competitors engines as well as a history of pylon engines. Very cool stuff for engine nuts!

http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/...ineMetkemeijer

Max
Old 10-01-2003, 06:31 PM
jessiej

I see that the hobby of engine collecting/accumulating is foreign to you. That's OK, I won't badger you with questions as to why.

I think it is like the question 'Why do you ride a Harley?" If I have to explain you can't understand.

I enjoy collecting, running and just examining these engines. I also love working on motorcycle engines.

I also collect guns. Much of the appeal is the same-mechanical precision.

I would love to collect Ferraris. but the budget would require a bit of work!
Old 10-02-2003, 02:11 PM
Strykaas

Being "foreign to me" does not mean I do not understand that. Some people are collecting stamps. Other ones, engines... That's all...
Old 10-02-2003, 06:48 PM
maxtenet

Jessie ,

I'm with ya on everything but the Harley Ferguson. The damn things are inherently unbalanced and shake like a dog crappin' peach pits and their performance and engineering is anachronistic. Why not get a BMW inline four and ride a real precision bike?

Sorrrry about the subject change. Get a Jett!

Max

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.