Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

C-130

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 06:02 AM
Scott Douglas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: C-130

Here's some pictures of my club chairman's own-design C130. 120" wingspan, all foam/balsa and powered by 2 x Thunder Tiger 54fs. Flies like a dream and YES.. it was damned cold when we took these photos!

Regards from Scotland

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51603.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	180069   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44467.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	180070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62138.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	180071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le92578.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	180072  
Old 10-06-2004, 07:20 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The serious rear CG shift is a pretty big issue. In our discussions we decided the proper approach would be to throttle up as soon as the drag chute starts to inflate and power right out of it. Thats the reason for using 4 ryobi's (31cc weed eater engines). I built a test plane to run-in the ryobi's after they have been converted. Have 5 right now, one for spare. A ryobi has plenty of excess power on a 14 lb plane. We just have to figure out what scale. I am going to start at the nacell. Calculate what minimum size does it need to be to enclose the engine. Then extrapolate from there. We were figuring (without the scaling work done yet) at somewhere around 150" to 170". But we really have no idea. Too big and you dont have heavy lift capability, too small and you cant find off the shelf rc stuff to chunck out the back.
As for lighting the RATO's, you need a battery and a switch that a servo can control. Dont think AMA would let us light it off at a sanctioned event. May need to use simulated smoke out the RATO canasters mounted on the fuse.
We have two ways of lauching a bunch of paratrooper, en mass (the whole gaggle at once) or use a single shot gizmo that you could sequence singles out one at a time. But that would get in the way of the hummer, or the daisy cutter, or maybe an artillery piece. This needs to be a heavy lift plane.
Edwin
Old 10-06-2004, 08:03 AM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

Default CG Shift

Great Herk,, Mine is a bit smaller on other thread.

The CG shift is an issue. I flew the Herk and did an Air drop with a Tank at 30,000+ total weight. There is a technique in this heavy drop that I think might apply to the model. It is fairly simple given the load does not hand in the fuse, after moving.

As the load moves rearward the nose will pitch up, then immediately after it clears the ramp the nose will pitch down. The technique is to release the load and only guard the controls but let them free float in the elevator mode. This just means for the pitch up the elevator will move up and opposite when load clears. Basically just don't touch the elevator control on the real herk for the micro seconds it takes for the load to clear. Power is not adjusted during the air drop.

Now apply this to the model. When you release don't touch the elevator stick, but let the plane pitch naturally and it will quickly return to level flight,, given a bit lighter and in a slight climb.

This should work in the model,, I didn't put the ramp and door on mine as operational. I built my plane myself. If I had one other person helping I might have built the ramp and door. I didn't want to burn out in the building phase. There is a time where in building a large model alone I got frustrated and thought about stopping,, but I did finish. Having support would have made this easier. I have attached a pic of my Herk in flight.. Good luck and great looking plane..

Name:	Qo40608.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	180091  
Old 10-06-2004, 08:41 AM
Edwin

Default RE: CG Shift

I can see its gonna be hard to fight the natural urge to correct with elevator. Maybe building up to the final weight by using lower weights to get used to it.
Edwin
Old 10-06-2004, 10:39 AM
Beplo

Edwin

I am making a mechanism of a rail. I would like to throw more than 30
paratroopers. I will do it, so that it sequence singles out one at a time.

Enrique
Old 10-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Beplo

Default C-130 wing

The wing scale 1:10 158"

Enrique

Name:	Lj22860.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	180178  
Old 10-06-2004, 08:31 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I think Jimcork has it pegged as far as technique goes; but there is one big difference to consider: inertia. When the full-size Herk pitches up, it has a lot of mass; I think the reaction of the lighter model may make it pitch up more quickly, and I still worry about a stall, unless you're carrying more speed than you would for a landing approach. I think if you were to balance the plane a bit on the nose-heavy side without cargo, and then load the cargo at the c/g, it might minimize the pitch-up when the load comes out the back, without making the plane any harder to control when unloaded. I sure hope you guys can get this worked out; you'll take r/c a quantum leap in performance.

To Beplo-- a friend of mine made a rail system for his Gooney Bird (C-47). It consisted of a screen door spring stretched out into a long spiral and driven by a motor at the front. The paratroops had a small eyelet on their head that fit on the spiral, and as it turned, moved them to the door. This spiral turned in an aluminum tube secured to the roof of the cabin inside and had a slot down its length for the post of the eyelet to fit in and act as a guide. The door end of the spiral and tube was open ended. he got the basic idea from one of those vending machines that has all the "corkscrews" to deliver the goods. Unfortunately, he stalled it turning base leg to final on its 4th flight and re-kitted it without ever trying a real drop., but it showed promise in ground tests.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Beplo

khodges

When I was reading the detail of mechanism I was remembering the system of machines.
Thanks for send me the information!!

Enrique
Old 10-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Beplo

Default C-130 Flaps

The unfolding of the flaps!

Name:	Xu62658.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	180340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36936.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	180341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94465.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	180342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82267.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	320.1 KB
ID:	180343  
Old 10-07-2004, 07:47 AM
Edwin

Default RE: C-130 Flaps

khodges,
Brilliant idea, Stays out of the way when done and should be relatively light weight. Sometimes a good idea hits you like a phone book in the face, why didnt I think of that.
Edwin
Old 10-07-2004, 09:27 AM
khodges

Edwin and Jimcork-- I keep thinking about this c/g shift and its potential for disaster. I understand Jim what you're saying about guarding the controls and letting the full-size bird pitch up and recover on its own, but this works on the big boy because the airflow will move the control surface if you're not resisting that tendency with your control column. An r/c servo on the other hand is stupid and will hold the elevator in neutral with no inputs from the pilot; the c/g change WILL cause a pitch-up, but without the pilot commanding the elevator to pitch the nose back to straight and level or whatever, the plane will hold its pitched up attitude and try to fly in that direction.

I think this whole idea is do-able, but the pilot is going to have to be ready with throttle and elevator when that Humvee or whatever, drops clear of the ramp. The extraction chute should maybe be "given a hand" by a spring loaded gizmo inside to really kick it out quickly, make sure there's nothing in the cargo bay that could conceivably snag the pallet on its way out.

When I was in the Air Force I got to see a LAPES go bad.(out in the boonies at Fort Bragg) -130 was going to offload a Humvee and other cargo on a pallet, pilot came in either too steep or just started his pullout late, but the bottom of his pullout arc was about 6 feet lower than ground level. He pancaked in hard enough to bounce back off the ground and snap the wings off at the roots; threw the plane tail-high and the fuse plowed back into the ground, crushing the cockpit and breaking the fuse in half. Even though there would be(hopefully) no loss of life with your project, I don't want to see anything like that happen, given how much time,effort, and certainly money is being put into this.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:42 AM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

Great looking wing and work,, but hope you don't turn around fast in your shop while holding it..

I have flown Lapes and it is very cautious work to do it right, A sherman tank has been know to tumble and take out many yards of pine trees at Pope.

For the model airdrop if the load isn't too heavy and exits quickly I think all will be ok, What is important as in previous post is the load doesn't hang up. You can use a springload parachute, but you might consider spring loaded ejection also.

Humvee? What's that,, all we had was Jeeps,,, but then I am dating myself,, since the Hummer was not even on the drawing boards when I dropped the 6by in the South China Sea due to hung load and fully deployed extraction chute. But the Herk had to give up one engine when the chute was out,, Made for an interesting work day. Never found the 6 by.

But sometimes dumb servos are the way to go,, less risk.

Please take pics and movies for flights. The fowler flaps look great also,, What did you use to drive the flaps.. Have a nice day. Jim
Old 10-07-2004, 09:59 AM
Beplo

Default C-130 paratroopers

I insist that it has to prove it in flight to see what happens with the CG If it flies high, it obtains security of flight for the tests....

Enrique
Old 10-07-2004, 10:01 AM
c130nut

Default RE: C-130 wing

Hey Beplo, where can we find out the building details and mechanisms for those flaps.
Bill
Old 10-07-2004, 10:30 AM
Edwin

Well, I think I got an idea. We have been planning on doing a proof of concept plane to test out rear door mechanisms, landing gear, flaps and for four engine practice. Our test bed is going to be a four engined ugly stick (Herky Stick if you will). We might as well practice the laps operation with that also. A stick built plane goes together pretty quick and lets us refine designs before the real mccoy. I was thinking along the lines of 80" ws with four .40 glow engines (since I already have them). A small pallett with a spring accuated drag chute could easily be built with a box on it. Start adding weight to see what the effects are. Maybe a gyro my help on the elevator at extraction time. Just thinking out loud.

A LAPES gone bad. I can only imagine the horror of watching someting like that.

Damn! I think I know what my next project will be. A Herky Stick wont be Red!
Edwin
Old 10-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Beplo

Default RE: C-130 flaps

Bill, more details...

Enrique

Name:	Sp45102.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	180529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31424.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	180530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz67310.jpg
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	180531  
Old 10-07-2004, 08:07 PM
khodges

Jim- If the Koreans knew it's out there (the 6 by) they've probably drug it out by now, copied it and will be shipping it to us as Hyundai's newest SUV. Sounds as if you've spent some of our tax dollars in pretty interesting ways. Most fun I ever had in a -130 was medevac ERO's in Panama (1989- Just Because)
Old 10-07-2004, 09:46 PM
FlyingTyger

Awesome C-130. Always wanted to build one myself. If you haven't decided on a color scheme, this is one I always liked. It was part of the Belgian Air Force.

Tony
www.geocities.com/tstaviation

Name:	Ki19726.jpg
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	180635  
Old 10-08-2004, 05:07 AM
Beplo

Thanks Tony!

The scheme of the colors are really good...

Enrique
Old 10-08-2004, 09:19 AM
rsallen13

I know its been done a couple of times but this is the colors I like.
Attached Images  
Old 10-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Beplo

I decided for the FAA, because I can throw parachute as the real one.

Name:	Zx69934.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	180724  
Old 10-08-2004, 09:58 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Beautiful workmanship! Please keep us posted on your progress. I plan to fly my 130 from Skip Mast plans this coming Sunday. Should fly well, 102 WS, 23 LBS, 4 OS LA 40's.[image
Old 10-08-2004, 09:22 PM
Beplo

Thanks jwrich

I hope that you have good flies this Sunday...
Please keep us posted on your progress too.

Enrique
Old 10-09-2004, 02:56 PM
rryman

............The wing scale 1:10 158"

By the way, Enrique, I don't know if anyone else noticed, but that's some building shop you have,to be able to stand a 13' wing on end and still clear the ceiling! Wow! Please keep the pictures coming. That's a beautiful plane.
Randy
Old 10-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Beplo

Thanks Randy,

The picture has been taken Ã*n the friend's workshop. He builds the structure of the plane and I built the mechanism and accessories.
When the Herk go on I will take more photos and I will send it.

Enique

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.