Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Depron Avro Arrow

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 12:19 AM
millet_flyer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Depron Avro Arrow

Hi Mark!

Just checked out the Vids, love the take-off.
Your Arrow noses up pretty good, impressive!

Peter.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:00 AM
mrbig
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the download. I will build one after I finish my spitfire. I was just wondering How long did it take for you to build and what type of glue or tape are you using to hold the depron together. Sorry about the stupid questions but I have never built a plane out of depron before. Or is there a site that I can go that will give me some more information. Thanks
Brian
Old 03-05-2005, 11:26 AM
millet_flyer
My Feedback: (5)

Hi there!

Building with depron is pretty easy. I use an adhesive called Weldbond, but any wood type polyurethane will do.
Another method is using thinner and a cloth. You make the rag damp with thinner and wipe the edge to be glued.

Each method has its own advantages. It comes down to what YOU are comfy with.

I haven't built an arrow yet so best person to ask is m dimonti.

Thanks Peter.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:44 AM
mrbig

Thanks for the reply. I already have that type of glue that I was using with a SPAD.
Brian
Old 03-07-2005, 10:06 AM
mrbig

Did you take any pictures during construction? If so could you post those pictures too.
Brian
Old 03-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Mark DiMonte
My Feedback: (2)

I build my depron planes with foam safe CA glue, accelerator, and 5 min epoxy. Epoxy for the main wing to fuse, and fin to wing. Everything else is CA. IF your CA is fresh, you do not need accelerator. If you like things in a hurry, spray a little bit of the accelerator on your finger and rub the surface that is to be glued. Put CA on the other and press together. Instant bond. ( do not use too much accelerator as it will melt the foam.) Using this method it takes about 1 hour to cut out out, about two hours to frame up. 1 hour to mount all radio stuff and you are flying. Painting is another story. You can take as long as you want. My seccond arrow took about 18 hours altogether( two days). I used regular packing tape for the hinges. Check this constuction thred out for some pictures.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302411
Old 03-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Mark DiMonte

sorry, doubble post.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Mark DiMonte

My website was down for a while but it is back up. www.madrc.com. I have started on designing a twin edf 36 in wigspan Avro Arrow. I will post once I have some work done. It should be the same size as it's glow version big brother.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81357.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	573216  
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Mark DiMonte

Not too much traffic on this site but I just wanted to say that I flew my Avro Arrow this morning and all I can say is wow. I have not flown it for one reason or the other for about a year and boy did I make a mistake. Thjis is one of the best foam flyers I have seen. Flew it in 15 mile an hour winds and was amazed. Most people do not like to fly foamies in the wind but this one loves it. Not only do you get Zoomy high speed pases with the wind, But you can almost stop it in mid air with high alpha flight. If you have not built one, you should. If you have, go and fly it. That being said, my website is gone so if you want the plans you must go to some of those free foamy plan websites or e-mail me at [email protected].
Old 05-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

that plane looks great, for your EDF plane what fans are you gonna use, I am tweaking my edf stryker and am really liking the XF fan which is 56mm and hobby-lobby just released another similar 56mm fan, also order the little screamer jetscreamer motor from them so Ill let you know if it works good, my previous fan was a hyperflow and its junk...the XF is the best bang for the buck IMO in that size range...
Old 10-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Mike Emilio

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an ongoing Avro Arrow project. The fuselage is about 11 or 12 feet long.

Might be interesting putting a few electrics in it.

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=78504

We finally got to the start of moulding stages at page 7 of the thread.

Name:	Pn35493.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1056190  
Old 10-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Mark DiMonte

Mike and the boys, It looks like you will have an Arrow soon. The anticipation is killing me. I too have designed and built Arrows and seeing them fly is well worth all of the work and money. Good Luck.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Mike Emilio

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark, , ,

Just currious, , , I don't know much about electric, but is there a twin fan system, electric, that might be big enough to push this beast along?

Two of the guys involved are local, Toronto area, maybe we could find some common venue and have yours, and the big one all in the air at the same time!
Old 10-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Mark DiMonte

I think so but they would not come very cheap. BVM makes an electric ducted fan system that would haul that arrow arround. I will dome research and let you know. Let me know when you want to fly and I will bring both my glow and electric Arrows. Should be fun.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:29 PM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark,

Any idea when you website will be up again? I'd like to download the Depron Arrow plans. I have your 40 and 60 size pusher plans. Great stuff.

DW_Crash
Old 10-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Mark DiMonte

E-mail me at [email protected] and I will e-mail the plans back to you.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:27 PM
RickAvery

Hello Mark,
I just happen to stumble upon this thread as I don’t frequent this site much anymore. What caught my eye, was the plans you posted on the first page. I think those are the plans I used to start building my Arrow. I got the plans from pusher jets forum over on RCG. I scaled them up to get a 36†WS. I did take the liberty to modify the build a bit and incorporated Shumate style techniques in many areas. See the pics. I like the flow-through design as I believe it cools the ESC & motor more efficiently. Unfortunately, after a semi successful maiden flight, where the motor mount broke in half 4mins. In, the arrow went in hard on flight #2. I’m still a bit dumbfounded as to the cause. After the maiden flight in which I had to trim in a lot of up-elevon, to achieve level flight, I noticed after landing the amount of reflex was huge! I took this to be a nose-heavy condition. I was back ~1/2†from the CG on the plans. The plane was also a bit twitchy during roll maneuvers. The response to roll commands seemed to lag then roll quickly. I had read somewhere that if the leading edges of smaller planes were too sharp, that less than stable handling can occur. My leading edges were sanded to a sharp edge so I rounded them off a bit, added some tail weight to bring the CG back hoping to get rid of some of the reflex and went back out for flight #2. When I threw her up, I didn’t give any up angle to my toss, (I’m tossing off of a hill so 30’ straight out gets me 15’ of altitude). She just sagged down the hill and no amount of up stick helped. Into the weeds and shread the nose back to the intakes!! D@mn! I hate when that happens!! Accept for a few dings and missing chunks of foam, the rear & wing survived intact. I couldn’t believe she wouldn’t pull up at all! The only thing I could figure is the surface area of the elevons isn’t enough. So I’ve cut them off, widened the elevons out toward the wing tips. The overall shape of the wing didn’t change. I’ve about got the nose repaired and should be ready for round 3 in a week or two. The power system is no slouch at 450watts and an AUW as pictured at 52oz. If you have any insight to my dilemma and or any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. Here’s the specs on my Arrow; Blu-core, FFF construction. Wing and tail are double thickness. 36†WS, 49†length. BP 36mm 1500kv outrunner with a 60amp ESC, 3amp UBEC, 4s, 3000mah 20c Lipo with an APC 8X4e prop. HS-81s for elevons & HS-55 rudder. Also pictured is my FFF F-15 at 39†WS, 53†length. Same power system but an AUW of 62oz. and a wonderful flyer. Love those bigger jets! Blue skies.
Rick

Name:	Gd93931.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1060059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87180.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1060060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53917.jpg
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1060061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65472.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1060062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw20523.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	1060063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hy33727.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	1060064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uw43888.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1060065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh26414.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	1060066  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22691.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1060067  
Old 10-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Mark DiMonte

With the power you have, that plane should fly well. I did notice something odd when developing my .45 glow version. I too made a full scale mock up in blue foam. I carved the entire thing including using a hotwire to cut an airfoiled wing. It was primarily a test glider and then converted to electric. Oddly enough, the plane would just not glide until I placed the wing upside down on the wing saddle. I initially had a somewhat semi symetrical airfoil that should have created lift but for some reason did not. I fliped the plane to inverted and gav it a toss and voilla. She glided right accross the gym floor. Perhaps the shape of the carved leading edge or airfoil is messing things up. On another note. My gas version has about 3 degrees of positive angle on the main wing, This puts the thrust angle at 3 degrees to the main wing and I believe that aids in keeping the nose up under power. If the motor broke off during the maiden, perhaps when you glued it back together, you inadvertantly glued in up thrust on the motor. This would account for not being able to get enough up elevon to fly arround. It makes sense because you seemed to be able to fly arround on the maiden and I dont think you added too much weight in the repair. Let me know if these ideas help. My next plane is going to be a 36 inch depron Arrow. I have found a wonderful and cheap motor and speed controller for this size plane. Auw should be 2.5 lbs.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Mark DiMonte

With the power you have, that plane should fly well. I did notice something odd when developing my .45 glow version. I too made a full scale mock up in blue foam. I carved the entire thing including using a hotwire to cut an airfoiled wing. It was primarily a test glider and then converted to electric. Oddly enough, the plane would just not glide until I placed the wing upside down on the wing saddle. I initially had a somewhat semi symetrical airfoil that should have created lift but for some reason did not. I fliped the plane to inverted and gav it a toss and voilla. She glided right accross the gym floor. Perhaps the shape of the carved leading edge or airfoil is messing things up. On another note. My gas version has about 3 degrees of positive angle on the main wing, This puts the thrust angle at 3 degrees to the main wing and I believe that aids in keeping the nose up under power. If the motor broke off during the maiden, perhaps when you glued it back together, you inadvertantly glued in up thrust on the motor. This would account for not being able to get enough up elevon to fly arround. It makes sense because you seemed to be able to fly arround on the maiden and I dont think you added too much weight in the repair. Let me know if these ideas help. My next plane is going to be a 36 inch depron Arrow. I have found a wonderful and cheap motor and speed controller for this size plane. Auw should be 2.5 lbs.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:57 PM
RickAvery

Thanks for the reply Mark. The wing is a flat airfoil. When the motor mount broke, just the motor fell off & I was able to softly land in my neighbors' sandy horse arena. The mounting stick is solid and unchanged. A new motor mount, A beefy one, and a few cosmetic patches where the prop hit the foam before becoming detached was all that was needed to fix. I've always set the thrust line at 0 deg. on all of my other pusher jets, but I will recheck the thrust line and maybe try your suggestion to add some slight up thrust to the motor. I've always used the LAR, (looks about right) method and maybe it wasn't about right. I love cold war jets! This plane has such a mistique and strange history, that a complete airframe wasn't preserved for a museum boggles the mind!! Your planes look great!! Thanks again for your time and suggestions. I'll let you know how things turn out. Happy flying.

Rick
Old 10-28-2008, 10:53 AM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RickAvery

Thanks for the reply Mark. The wing is a flat airfoil. When the motor mount broke, just the motor fell off & I was able to softly land in my neighbors' sandy horse arena. The mounting stick is solid and unchanged. A new motor mount, A beefy one, and a few cosmetic patches where the prop hit the foam before becoming detached was all that was needed to fix. I've always set the thrust line at 0 deg. on all of my other pusher jets, but I will recheck the thrust line and maybe try your suggestion to add some slight up thrust to the motor. I've always used the LAR, (looks about right) method and maybe it wasn't about right. I love cold war jets! This plane has such a mistique and strange history, that a complete airframe wasn't preserved for a museum boggles the mind!! Your planes look great!! Thanks again for your time and suggestions. I'll let you know how things turn out. Happy flying.

Rick
Rick,

You should be a Canadian......We can't, ewven 50 years later, figure out why the first 7 prototypes were destroyed along with all the drawings. The good that can of it were the Concorde, Gemini and Apollo. We still dig up rocks and cut down trees. Go figure, politicians. We all have our Bushs

DW_Crash
Old 11-03-2008, 01:15 AM
RickAvery

Here's a few pics of the crashed & repaired Arrow. I hope to try to fly her again in a day or two. Wish me luck.
Rick

Name:	Pm34850.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1064447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97241.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1064448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96717.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1064449   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54559.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1064450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do82551.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1064451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn86234.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1064452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ln11355.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1064453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cb93117.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1064454  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Qp11822.jpg
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1064455  
Old 11-04-2008, 12:03 AM
RickAvery

I took the arrow out this morning and threw her into the air. She flew very well with no real surprises. I added the slight up thrust Mark suggested and all went good. She balloons a bit with full throttle but when trimmed to fly flat at 1/2 throttle, she came down with the elevons nice and level. I may back off a tad on the up angled motor which should cause me to get a bit of reflex into the elevons & lessen the ballooning. Now she's in the paint booth getting spackeled, sanded, sealed and painted up. This is really the fun part for me as I'm going to paint her up as RL 203. Researching the symbols, insignias & markings, which were slightly different for each plane, is sometimes a challange. Thanks all for your help, suggestions & thoughts. Blue skies.
Rick
Old 09-09-2010, 06:36 PM
laurbel

Hello I am looking to buy my boyfriend an Avro Arrow for our anniversary, I was wondering how much they cost and delivery, I live in Guelph Ontario.<div>
</div><div>Thanks </div><div>
</div><div>Laura</div>
Old 09-28-2010, 02:26 PM
byrocat

ORIGINAL: laurbel

Hello I am looking to buy my boyfriend an Avro Arrow for our anniversary, I was wondering how much they cost and delivery, I live in Guelph Ontario.<div>
</div><div>Thanks </div><div>
</div><div>Laura</div>

Sorry about not getting back to you before now, I'll also PM or email you.

These designs are mostly custom made and are not too expensive, only in time more than anything else. About $200 will get you a completely new airplane, receiver, servoes, ESC and batteries.

The only actual flying model around right now i9s the one from Kondor Models. A web-search will find the manufacturer and you may be able to find a retailer or mail-order house that carries the kit.

An alternate that would be greatly appreciated is the CWH (Canadian Warplane Heritage) diecast model. It's now out-of-production (limited series) but you can find them around at the various collectibles/die-cast hobby shops, or the CWH in Hamilton to the Aerosapce Museum at Downsview in Toronto. Cost is somewhere around $100-125 depending uon who's selling it. Size is 1/72nd in size (about an 8-inch wingspan), but the details are impeccible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.