Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

G.P 1/3 scale cap 580 a big rock???

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

G.P 1/3 scale cap 580 a big rock???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 07:43 AM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: G.P 1/3 scale cap 580 a big rock???

The BEST way to save weight is not in adding lighter stuff-
Old 01-18-2005, 08:23 AM
3D Joy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed Dick. From the review, one could use up to 4 servos for the rudder. This is an ARF, the trays may already be there so it will be dead weight to most since 2 8611 or 5955 should be plenty.

As for wing tube location, this is a fine idea but don't you think it may change flying characteristics by doing that ?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:34 AM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: desertpig

GP's gas planes are all heavy. Everyone likes the patty with a DA50.. I think that plane flies extremely heavy (on a DA50) compared to a CA 27% extra, Chip Hyde Vision, WH Extra or any plane that takes that engine that is lighter or has better wing loading. Of course most still love the patty because it does fly well even heavy but once you have flown a truly light plane on its wings you will never, ever settle for a heavy plane again.

I almost bought a patty but after flying a Columbo Anderson Extra that thought went completely out of my mind!!

Even on cans at 30# that plane will be a pig on a DA100.. well at least a 3D pig. Anyone buying it better put it on a diet.. a heavy cap will fly like crap!

Can you say "SNAP"
DP
There is one major difference in the planes your comparing here.....the Patty which is 25% is more of a "SCALE" plane. It is scale to the fullest sense. I don't know how the measurements comapare, but it doesn't have a square box type fuse, or the overly thick airfoil that the Wild Hare or any of the other big names here do. Compared to any of the planes listed above, none have the scale look that the GP Patty does....the rounded fuse, correct shape, everything fits. That is where you are going to take a weight penalty. I will take the weight penalty anyday for a better looking plane over one with a basic box fuse. That's my major gripe about any of the major MFG's out there today. They take a single fuse, put a different cowl on it and call it a different plane. Where's the fun in that? And yes....preliminary reports do seem a little high in weight for the GP cap. Who knows...maybe they finally estimated high for the flying weight...LOL we'll see.

Neo
Old 01-18-2005, 09:13 AM
Flip and Fly

NeoGenesis, as you know with the 3D craze still with us everyone want's a plane that can fly 3D well, and do good pattern type flying secondary. So what do we get but planes with thick airfoils and fuses that look like a box all in the name of saving weight. I think a plane can be built to look more scale and still be light, however the design becomes more complex for ARF construction. However some of the Composite planes do look very scale but cost much more, and if you crash it even a little, most people have a hard time fixing that stuff, trash it!

I am in the process of building a 35% Extra 260 and I want it to look scale, and am going to use a wing that will be more suited to IMAC flying (thiner air foil) but by keeping the weight down it will 3D. Or so I hope. Maybe this could become a trend in the future.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:23 AM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

I agree......I would love to have a 3D plane that also looks scale....but it's tough to come by. I was just trying to point out that he's comparing two very different planes. I'm sorry, but the GP Patty was not made to 3D. It was in it's infantcy when it was released. I however am working on a 46% Giles that is looking to come in at 36 lbs. That's with a older 3W160B4. That's the 4 cyl model. That plane is scale to the truest sense....but it should also fly like nothing else at that weight. And think....I could cut out another 2 to 3 lbs by going to a newer 150....but then I would loose the unique sound...LOL......enough about my planes....let get back to the CAP......anyone know when the expected ETA date is?

Neo
Old 01-18-2005, 10:10 AM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

But replacing necessary heavy stuff with light stuff is the ONLY way to do it, barring rebuild or lightning.
Also alway apply the KISS principle.

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

The BEST way to save weight is not in adding lighter stuff-
Old 01-18-2005, 11:05 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Neo - I hear you.. I guess I don't care as much about scale... in fact, I probably don't care at all about it. Maybe I'm a little whacked in my thinking but to me the structural integrity and the way a plane flies is far more important than its exact scale appearance - hence my propensity to black out canopies (or eliminate them altogether on some planes), do mods, etc. I have some very cool looking planes but they don't look true to scale that is for sure! They all fly impeccably well though.

I agree the Patty LOOKS great on the ground. I just don't think it flies "light" compared to other similar planes. Now put a Moki 2.1 on it and it will fly as well as the others... but I think a gasser is just too heavy for it, but that is just me.

As far as the CAP - Dick hit it on the nose.. you should not have to lighten it by ADDING stuff. If you have to take a $700 ARF and ADD $600 worth of Carbon Fiber, Li-Po power, etc... then you might as well either BUILD one or go out and buy a Comp Arf or Radio Wave because by the time you are done you will have the time and money into it anyway ...

Personally, I LOVE the GP CAP.. I might still buy it just to see what I can do with it. I think GP has made a valiant effort to put together a nice complete kit for the average joe who wants to move up to a larger plane. For those of us who insist in light planes that are perfect... well, we won't get it from GP or anyone else building ARFs so we should probably stop complaining so we don't ruin it for those who want to try it.

I have only had a few ARFs.. had to rebuild them all and by the time I was done I could have built one or bought a lighter ARF... but for some reason I keep going back..

I had the pleasure of flying a CompARF 33% Extra recently, DA100 power, flew like it weighed 20 pounds... I might just have to have one of those down the road.....

I have to at least give GP a nod, they certainly are taking a risk by going outside their normal offerings..
DP