Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

P-38 Construction Project

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

P-38 Construction Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 08:00 PM
Metalmorphous
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: P-38 Construction Project

Sorry I forgot to post the link

Here ya go
http://www.rcwarbirds.com/techniguespage.htm

Kram the Plated 38 has been working hard for us but has not been in the air yet, we have been using it to display our plating process but have plans to get her in the air before the end of this year. I have been working on a new project , its a Gamma that I have plated like the lightning. Heres the link to that.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_25...mpage_4/tm.htm

Ron
Old 09-20-2005, 09:23 AM
dannost
My Feedback: (4)

Finally got around to taking some new pictures.
The bird is getting close to done. I still have to work on a few more scale details including the cockpit.
Have to install the radio gear and get the flaps synchronized mechanically
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57559.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	326681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91386.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	326682  
Old 09-20-2005, 09:25 AM
dannost

One more shot. Here it is with the prototype. The red one was modeled after "yippee", the 5000th
P38 built.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81866.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	326683  
Old 09-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Checkmate

dannost,
You asked about weight compairison vs. a royal 38. We have a royal P-38 which weighs about 14#, flying on a pair of OS.46s right now. Originally powered by fox .40s. It has fowler flaps as well and its really quite a joy to fly (if you put aside the worries of multi engine). The fowler flaps really help with the landings, much more than I'd ever imagined. We're going to take it out for a flight this week, if the weather holds. First time out for this year...

Good Luck with your's.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:02 AM
dannost

Thank you for the info. Mine feels like a brick, but the weight is about the same, so you have made me feel better.
How did you do the fowler flaps? Mine have a little play due to all the linkages. I'm thinking that with the air pushing only one way
on them there should be no worry of flutter, but I'm still a little concerned. How do yours feel?
Old 09-20-2005, 07:27 PM
Checkmate

Ours has very little play but it's no problem. We only deploy them on final. If I remember the video camera tomorrow, I'll show the flaps. One thing on ours, we get a major pitch up when the flaps are deployed.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:49 PM
Phantom pty

Dannost

Are these KMP ARF Versions of P-38 shown in your pictures

Rgds

Phantom

ORIGINAL: dannost

One more shot. Here it is with the prototype. The red one was modeled after "yippee", the 5000th
P38 built.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Checkmate

Dannost,

We got one flight on it this morning. There is some video, but it's not much... one aborted take off (nose wheel tucked under), one good take off, and most of one landing. Wish there were more. I checked the flaps on our 38 and we do have some play at the TE. about 1/16", maybe a bit more. However under (air) load they are all even. Hopefully you can see how well they let the plane land.

[link=http://jg14.com/video/P38_2005.wmv]Video Here[/link]
Old 09-22-2005, 08:57 AM
dannost

Phantom,

Look through this post you will see that it is not an ARF. The booms, center wing and fuse are a one piece composite built by a friend that came with foam wing cores.
The rest is scratch built.

The size is almost the same as the Royal kit.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:01 AM
dannost

Checkmate,

thanks for the video.
I'd still like to know how you did your fowlers? I got plans for some, but they were for a bigger bird and would not fit in the wing, so I had to change the servo setup.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Checkmate

Dannost,

A couple of warnings... this plane is some 20+ years old, so we used "old technology" for the fowlers. It's a "design" that my father came up with on our first Royal P-38, which was close to 30 years ago. What we did was install three 90 degree bellcranks on each flap. One for each end of the flap (where you have the carbon tubes) and one in the middle of the flap which protrudes very slightly below the bottom of the wing at the TE (LE of the flap itself). We tied all the bellcranks together, and set the throws up so that the middle bellcrank didn't move quite as much as the outer two bellcranks (moved the connecting rod in one hole). So, the two outer bellcranks move slightly more than the middle bellcrank. Since that middle bellcrank attaches to the flap just below the wing surface, it acts to "pull" (or rotate) that part of the flap LE inward slightly.

I'm not sure if that explaination is clear enough... think of it this way... where you have a pushrod that pushes the flap back... we have two. One on each corner of the flap LE (and they slide in a track). Where you have one pushrod that acts to rotate the LE of the flap, we have one too (but it connects to a bellcrank, not a servo arm). Is that a better explaination?? I think this design causes a little binding through the middle of the motion, but it's not too bad. Where we get a little slop is just in the connection of the middle pushrod (it's hole has been enlarged over time). I could try to make a drawing, if it would help. It was a neat design 30 years ago (but heavy... we have a total of 14 bellcranks in the wing, including the ones for the ailerons). However, we drive all the flaps with one servo.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:18 AM
dannost

I understand completely. Before I found plans, I was considering using bellcranks also. Thanks a lot.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:08 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dannost, That P-38 looks so good, very nice. Wish you could have done a kind of build thread! Got any close ups of the superchargers? Great job and glad I could help in a small way!

Dion
Old 09-26-2005, 09:16 AM
dannost

Dion,

This was intended to be a build thread, but there was not a lot of response and I got kind of lax with the pictures. There is a picture of
the superchargers unpainted in the beginning of the first page.

I'm still working on the cockpit. I will post some of those.

I had a lot of people asking how I made the superchargers, since they really add to the model.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:58 PM
lakedunmore52

Hey, i am currently building a royal p-38 kit and i was thinking about constructing some fowler flaps and was wondering if you could give me a bit more information on how to constuct them. Could you send me an e-mail at [email protected] , thank you for you time -Mark Thomas