Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage Racers

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 10:49 PM
Chronic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Savage Racers

I was having trouble deciding between rear buggy shocks or the LST conversion, but Losi just helped me decide by announcing the release of the Aftershock. It's got plastic versions of the threaded LST2 shocks! Lighter weight, but hopefully that same great performance that the LST2 units provide. They are also designed for a truck that weighs alot more than the Savage, in constrast to the shorter buggy shocks that are designed around a lighter vehicle... so durability should not be a concern.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:08 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Chronic

I was having trouble deciding between rear buggy shocks or the LST conversion, but Losi just helped me decide by announcing the release of the Aftershock. It's got plastic versions of the threaded LST2 shocks! Lighter weight, but hopefully that same great performance that the LST2 units provide. They are also designed for a truck that weighs alot more than the Savage, in constrast to the shorter buggy shocks that are designed around a lighter vehicle... so durability should not be a concern.
Post pictures when you do and keep me up dated. Right now I am going to try red and black springs on each corner. I was surprise how well the stock springs worked this weekend. Of coarse that was the first time I ever had my Savage on a track.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:51 AM
gerwen

Have you modified your shocks to lower your ride height yet? You can put a small piece of fuel tubing on the shock shaft inside the shock so that they can't extend fully. It lowers the ride height and improves handling. It does hamper the jumping ability though, as the shocks don't have as much travel. I bought a second set of shocks to do it, so i could switch them out for bashing.

I'd also remove shock pre-load spacers to get it to sit lower and not be as bouncy with the lower ride height.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:57 AM
Chronic

The shock mod is a good one. I've got 5/8" limiters in mine right now.

Running uncut springs with the shock mod has the same effects as using the preload spacers. If the truck is too bouncy over irregular terrain, try a softer spring.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:11 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: gerwen

Have you modified your shocks to lower your ride height yet? You can put a small piece of fuel tubing on the shock shaft inside the shock so that they can't extend fully. It lowers the ride height and improves handling. It does hamper the jumping ability though, as the shocks don't have as much travel. I bought a second set of shocks to do it, so i could switch them out for bashing.

I'd also remove shock pre-load spacers to get it to sit lower and not be as bouncy with the lower ride height.

Thanks and I know about putting in fuel line or what ever spacers in the shock to limit their travel. I have all so heard that using fuel line is not real good as the shock oil eats up the fuel line? No I have not done this yet. I guess if you limit the travel of the shocks taking the spring spacers out would be ok I just wonder if you do not limit the travel and take the spacers out when you do a jump and the shock extends all the way what chance there is of the spring retainer at the bottom of the shock coming off? I have just put lighter springs on that seems to have lowered it a bit. Now I will have to go to the track this weekend to see how it acts this way. I have 3 sets of stock shocks and I am thinking about setting all three up different ways so I can do some testing.
Thanks all for the input.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:29 AM
EG1

I ran maxx bowties on offset velocity wheels, 2 shocks in front and 4 in rear (springs on 2 only) all with black springs and 25wt oil. CP V.2 body with the stock alloy roll-bar, TT TVP's and sts 28. Truck ran great but the shocks were really holding it back. Now my savage is a dedicated basher, I got a great deal on an LST2 which is a much better truck for racing...for me anyway.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:22 AM
Gravrober

I like the green springs with 30wt oil. Im running springs on all four corners with the four inner shocks as sort of stabilizers, this set up makes for some nice handling with out having to use offset rims or lower the truck too much. Ive also found that the amount of oil you have in the shock will make a difference in performance. I also think it really depends on your particular driving style, like one guys set up might just suck for someone els on the very same track.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93490.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	465802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89020.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	465803  
Old 05-24-2006, 09:41 AM
46u

I agree the LST 2 is a very nice racer but in my finical situation right now I either race my Savage or I do not race. All so I like doing things that a lot of people say cannot be done and I like a challenge.
Thanks all for the input!
Old 05-24-2006, 09:45 AM
mosavage

my bros savage is a racer. he has flm shock towers;. powerstroke shocks. collari .32 with collari pipe and header. nubz. sepktrum radio. he might get the lcg chassis but he likes his revo and wants to spend money into that
Old 05-24-2006, 10:01 AM
Chronic

My Savage eats my LST2 for lunch at everything. Track, straight line, jumping.... you name it, and the Savage wins every time. I'm not saying that the LST2 wouldn't be just as good or maybe even better if it was built as much as the Savvy, but making the Savage compete with other trucks isn't impossible. I run with a guy alot who has about $1200 in his Revo setup and he gets his ass handed to him on a regular basis and once we get off the track and on the bashing field, they are the ones who can't hang. That's the beauty of the Savage...

I will admit that those trucks make a more logical starting point for a racer, but the Savage can hold it's own.

Back to the springs. How stiff are the green ones compared to orange? I've been wanting to try some but I don't know anyone that has any. I'm going to try four blues up front next, and see if they perform like the black/orange combo that's on there now.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:33 AM
46u

If I am not mistake the green is the next step up form the red/orange as far as hardness. Until I got my Red/ Orange springs I did not understand why people said orange as HPI says red. But after receiving mine they are defiantly closer to orange then red. I have a set of the green ones on the way so I will all so test them after testing the combination I have now. I often wondered about Savage, Revo but did not want to start a flame! Thanks for the input and now I will do my best to get my Savage where it will do well against the other brand. I like doing things people say cannot be done or at least give it one heck of a try.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:34 PM
3spdsavage

hey, i have a savage which has a pretty good setup. i finally fixxed the clutch on it and ran it on the track against a revo 3.3 with upgraded electronics, trinity pipe, forward only conversion. pretty much around the track they are about even. i actually like the savage better becuase IMO it handles better in teh air. the revo feels kinda light. i think the biggest things that helped is the hpi nubz....and the suspension adjustments. as we speak i am running stock shocks. with 30 front and 35 rear. running green springs. it made a big difference. i tried the proline powerstrokes and didn't like them too much. so im back to stock ones. it runs great handles much better and jumps even better. i have .5" shock limiters which made it lower and FLM shock towers which also are a must for adjustability. oh yea i forgot one thing. a powerful engine doesn't hurt. lol pm me for any other questions i got a few tips that might be helpful. i did a lot to my truck.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:41 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: 3spdsavage

hey, i have a savage which has a pretty good setup. i finally fixxed the clutch on it and ran it on the track against a revo 3.3 with upgraded electronics, trinity pipe, forward only conversion. pretty much around the track they are about even. i actually like the savage better becuase IMO it handles better in teh air. the revo feels kinda light. i think the biggest things that helped is the hpi nubz....and the suspension adjustments. as we speak i am running stock shocks. with 30 front and 35 rear. running green springs. it made a big difference. i tried the proline powerstrokes and didn't like them too much. so im back to stock ones. it runs great handles much better and jumps even better. i have .5" shock limiters which made it lower and FLM shock towers which also are a must for adjustability. oh yea i forgot one thing. a powerful engine doesn't hurt. lol pm me for any other questions i got a few tips that might be helpful. i did a lot to my truck.

Are you running green springs on all 8 shocks? Like I said I think mine handles quite well on the track. As far as running with Revo’s only time will tell.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:51 PM
46u

I will be at the track tomorrow testing my latest set up. Will let all know how it goes.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:43 PM
tazfxrp

ORIGINAL: 46u

ORIGINAL: Chronic

I'm running the red/orange springs too. I've got a single spacer on each rear spring, and on the front I now have one black spring and one orange spring on each corner with no spacers. I'm swapping out the whole shock setup soon though. These things just aren't up to the task.

What are you going to? Are you going to the 4 buggy shocks? If I stay in racing I am going to the buggy shocks but I would get the LCG set up first.
Ok, I got the bug too.

I went to Rodslingers last Saturday and had a blast. Watched and did some refueling in the pit for a racer. Took a couple of laps during the 1 hour break they had. Time to start moding the truck to handle the track. Lots to do and I'm reading a lot. The LHS has the threaded HPI $135, he said he would sell them to me for $80, are they worth it? I need to get tires, wheels and a radio.

The HPI threaded are shocks. !^)=

Eric
Old 05-26-2006, 05:12 PM
46u

The two things I did to mine that helped the most to this point is the off set wheels and good tire inserts. This took a WHOLE lot of the roll out! I am running the stock shocks and so far they seem to work fine. I will be trying softer springs tomorrow on the track. I know some said they do not like stock shocks.

Hope to see you up at Rodslinger or Macon this summer. If I get more practice on the track hear and make a few more changes I will be going up to Rodslinger for practice. Keep us posted on what you do and how it works out and I will do the same.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:22 PM
46u

Tazfxrp we will more then likely be the only to Savages around racing here in middle Georgia. I all ways have been the out case and all ways will be!!!!
Old 05-26-2006, 06:37 PM
fxrs

Hey 46u here is a picture of a integy sway bar I put on my sons 25 RTR for
racing last year. It really made a difference at the track. Also when I make
a change to his truck for handling, He does the test drive and I watch.
We've not been to the track yet this year,but hope to soon.
Anyway I had his set up with black springs all around and no spacers.
While watching him test drive I could see the front end bottom out
hard heading into and up a jump. I added the stock spacers to the
stock shocks and that stopped that problem and didn't hurt handling.
Also the stock sway bar that comes in the sway bar kit is junk. I made
a new one out of 1/8" CRS and I also got rid of the ball sockets that the bar ends
attach to. I made new ends out of titanium and I use fuel line for bushings.
I did this for two reasons,
#1 the stock bar sucks.
#2 with the stock ball socket setup it tweeks the front suspension
at shock compression. I.E. at a landing it would cause positive caster.
Now on a dirt track with a monster truck that might not mean much
but me being a machinist I didn't like it. I can be anal. Over all I
do like the sway bar enought that I made the same mods for one
on my LE.

Also Tazfxrp, That a police bike?

Name:	Fc90518.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	466995  
Old 05-26-2006, 06:46 PM
46u

Yes he has a FXR Police bike. I still have my Ultra Classis, do you still have your FXRS?
Old 05-26-2006, 06:49 PM
fxrs

Yes I do, I'll Have that till the day I die.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:51 PM
46u

Not sure which one I will have when I die but since I have all ways had one for over 35 years I am sure I will have one when I die.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:17 PM
tazfxrp

The two things I did to mine that helped the most to this point is the off set wheels and good tire inserts. This took a WHOLE lot of the roll out! I am running the stock shocks and so far they seem to work fine. I will be trying softer springs tomorrow on the track. I know some said they do not like stock shocks.

Hope to see you up at Rodslinger or Macon this summer. If I get more practice on the track hear and make a few more changes I will be going up to Rodslinger for practice. Keep us posted on what you do and how it works out and I will do the same.
I'll be around, going to Loganville tomorrow to check it out and get some ideas.

Eric
Old 05-26-2006, 07:34 PM
tazfxrp

Yes he has a FXR Police bike. I still have my Ultra Classis, do you still have your FXRS?
Had, 1994 last year for the real FXR. Retired Milwaukee PD #547. Wrecked in 6/19/04. Dog, fire Hydrant and curve didn't mix well. Took my left leg above the knee. All's well now, walk pretty good and back to work 9/05. 30 plus years of riding with out a bad wreck, had to happen. Some years 20,000 plus miles. I thought I'd get back into RC and use my "stock sucks attitude" to do some tweeking and have some fun. Bikes are in my blood, when I get all the med bills and "C leg" bills paid I'll get another FXR.

Google RMH group and look for Tazfxrp, you can read the whole story if you care to. Great people and great friends in that group.
Taz

Name:	Sp45376.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	467008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22327.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	467009  
Old 05-26-2006, 07:38 PM
tazfxrp

RMH is a usenet group rec . motorcycles . harley

Taz
Old 05-26-2006, 07:48 PM
46u

My bike is the one on the left; this is from on of my many trips. That trip was 10,035 miles.

Name:	Fd91080.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	467015  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.