Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

How long may I run a gasser inverted?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

How long may I run a gasser inverted?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Dr1Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How long may I run a gasser inverted?

Unless you're experienced with metal work, let a machine shop weld your muffler. Brazing aluminum that thin is touchy work.

I applaud your decision to rebuild the plane and keep flying. Can't let those crashes keep you down.

Dr.1
Old 06-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Albatross
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

Unless you're experienced with metal work, let a machine shop weld your muffler. Brazing aluminum that thin is touchy work.

I applaud your decision to rebuild the plane and keep flying. Can't let those crashes keep you down.

Dr.1
Gracias hombre!

that's the kind of support I need. We true modelers have a special kind of mindset...

Old 06-17-2007, 07:11 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

That really doesn't look all that bad.

Hope you figure it out, and your repairs happen as easy as possible.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Albatross

Thanks again.

Out of context, however I have the impression that the fuse (H9-Edge 33%) was assembled using a really low amount of CA glue. Although from the photo, the fuse seems to be still in one piece, there are a large amount of fractures here and there. Most pieces just became un-glued by the force of the impact before braking apart. Right after the impact, only the covering material held in place the entire airplane fuse.

Perhaps the manufacturers of these kits, by trying to economize CA glue, without knowing created the conditions to absorb the energy at least of these kind of impacts. Go figure.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

Albatross,

Nice data.

Where I work we use trend data to troubleshoot all the time, it has helped us tremendously to solve problems. In this case, your data might not be enough (this happens at work also). All you have is RPM data but nothing else about the engine, like fuel flow or crankase pressure or spark, etc. I am not an engine expert so I do not know what list of things would even be useful here to help troubleshoot, but more data might help next time if it repeats. Just curious, does the data logger vendor offer more channels and sensors? I recently had a flame out myself and it caused some damage.

Good Luck!
Old 06-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Albatross

Hi Uncas

I have both cylinder head temperatures plots which I turned off since I think they seemed to be OK (however I am attaching the wole data, including cylinder temperatures this time).

There is Pitot tube to know your air speed, I did not installed in the plane; this is also included in the standard set of sensors.

You can also log servo positions. And battery voltage. More data will require more memory and/or limited recording time.

However you can go to the Eagletree web site to obtain more information about the type of variable that you may want to record, you’ll be surprised about the data you can collect (even GPS!):

[link=http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Support/Plane/photos/9.htm]Eagletree[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99288.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	706013  
Old 10-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Albatross

The ultimate cause of kind of events almost always remains unknown.
All we can do is to make sure next time we are more careful whenever we decide to take apart any assembly of our airplanes.

These are the potential issues I found that could have explained why this engine flamed out on me that afternoon:

-Found 4 screws on one of the carburettor covers (the one where the gas inlet nipple is connected) that were not fully tighten all the way in. The screws were in place, however almost loose.

Preventive measures:

-The ignition battery ( 2 LIPOS) discharged somewhat faster than the ones I have installed on the radio. Of course I replaced the battery.

- I took apart the carburettor and cleaned it up again.

-The timing of the ignition was not properly set. The engine was working under these conditions from the very beginning. Found 24 degrees, Keith replied to me by saying to set it up to 28 degrees.

-Gas stopper, replaced.

Airframe repaired and upgraded this engine from single bolt hub to multi-bolt hub , CF spinner:

I took her to the flying field, did not have to make any change on trim. She is back from her ashes.

My next job is to keep fine tuning the needles.
I will try a mejzlick 27x10, how you guys think the needles will have to be re-adjusted (lean or reech side) after installing a Mejzlik 27X10 (currently the engine is running on a wooden NX 27x10) ?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49417.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	774141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57645.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	774142