Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

NIB Dumas Scarab 38KV KAAMA Build

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

NIB Dumas Scarab 38KV KAAMA Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 02:25 PM
sticktickler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NIB Dumas Scarab 38KV KAAMA Build

I had a cool story to tell Trey (A.K.A. FlogginHarvey) about his RC KAAMA boat build so I sent him an e-mail. He has some other commitments at the moment and asked me to share the story with you all. Here is a copy of the e-mail I sent him which tells the story just fine.

Trey,
WOW! The coolest thing has happened as a result of the KAAMA You Tube videos. The new owner of the actual Betty Cook KAAMA winning 1979-81 Scarab race hull has contacted me. Sadly the boat is in much need of restoration which is now underway. He too wants a full scale set of my graphics to outfit the hull, he just loves how they came out. So now your model has a more complete story as it has inspired the now full scale owner to look just the same as your model. So that make his real boat a model of yours and another part of a wonderful story. This nearly makes your model priceless now! He also want's me to build him a model just like yours of his boat, I already found a hull I think. I am going to ask him for photos of the restoration and a piece of the hull to go along with your boat for display. How cool is that! Please go tell this story on RCU such cool stuff how lucky are you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82629.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1376541  
Old 02-11-2010, 03:33 PM
GETUSUM
My Feedback: (7)

I own 5 Dumas 55" scarabs now...if you need one let me know

Richard Jones
281-331-5422
Old 02-15-2010, 02:11 PM
ByronRC
My Feedback: (2)

FlogginHarvey, I was wondering if you can tell me where you purchased the fuel tray your using with the bag setup? Also what pipe will you be using with your engine?
Old 02-16-2010, 04:56 PM
FlogginHarvey

The fuel tray actually came with my Rico Offshore and I did not use it in there. Celan setup and it was under the work bench. Fuel bag came from gizmomotors DOT com .

I am using a QD DeepVee Hotpipe on like I used for the Miami Vice Dumas Scarab resto. Works awesome and makes wonderful power. You need to be alittle careful with the heat using the hatch but some paint, wrap, and good ventalation goes along way.

Here are some pix of the Miami Vice Resto

Name:	Xv63974.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	1380567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13145.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1380568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71548.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1380569  
Old 02-17-2010, 11:35 AM
FlogginHarvey

That is really cool stuff Jason on the real boat. You'll have to negotiate a ride on it for us!!!

The WD200 lid came in finally and I ordered somehting a little different than last time. This is the Version 2 lid with a narrow lip/flange an the other I used on the Miami Vice was Version 1 with thicker flange...the outside measurement varies a little bit and it ended up being about 1/2" too small all the way around...oops. Suppose I should have been a bit more careful in the order. Nothing a little trimming can't fix! All in all, the parts are TOP NOTCH and teh countersunk screws to hold the lid down are a nice touch for sure!

No I REALLY gotta get going on the fiberglass work for the hatch and the hull...poop.

Name:	Us53211.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	1381040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22180.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	1381041  
Old 02-17-2010, 12:59 PM
benckie

sweet radio box, is the quickdraw pipe a deep v or a qd shock waver or black jack pipe, s it looks side on under like the deep v ?
Old 02-22-2010, 12:49 PM
FlogginHarvey

ORIGINAL: benckie

sweet radio box, is the quickdraw pipe a deep v or a qd shock waver or black jack pipe, s it looks side on under like the deep v ?

When purchased second hand, I was told it was a Deep Vee pipe. The springs are offset so the pipe sits a little lower than the header...I think the shockwave pipe would be the trick but this one works very well.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:53 PM
benckie

im thinking of the shock wave pipe for a cat build as it might sit in the hull good, but i would ened the hull the check first
Old 02-23-2010, 11:30 AM
FlogginHarvey

I have seen a QD 25HT/DeepVee Pipe installed in a Expresscarft Thunderbolt and a MHZ Drambuie and the DeepVee pipe really seemed the way to go with the extra room in the sponson and down.

Do a search here for sickmodelpowerboats Drambuie and Drambuie Rebuild and you will see the boats...Tony and Nick built them and ran them.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:35 AM
FlogginHarvey

ORIGINAL: sticktickler

I had a cool story to tell Trey (A.K.A. FlogginHarvey) about his RC KAAMA boat build so I sent him an e-mail. He has some other commitments at the moment and asked me to share the story with you all. Here is a copy of the e-mail I sent him which tells the story just fine.

Trey,
WOW! The coolest thing has happened as a result of the KAAMA You Tube videos. The new owner of the actual Betty Cook KAAMA winning 1979-81 Scarab race hull has contacted me. Sadly the boat is in much need of restoration which is now underway. He too wants a full scale set of my graphics to outfit the hull, he just loves how they came out. So now your model has a more complete story as it has inspired the now full scale owner to look just the same as your model. So that make his real boat a model of yours and another part of a wonderful story. This nearly makes your model priceless now! He also want's me to build him a model just like yours of his boat, I already found a hull I think. I am going to ask him for photos of the restoration and a piece of the hull to go along with your boat for display. How cool is that! Please go tell this story on RCU such cool stuff how lucky are you.

Hey Jason,

Any word on the graphics yet? I have been checking the mail like a kid on Christmas Morning...
Old 02-25-2010, 10:54 PM
sticktickler

The graphics are done and on the way to Trey for this classic show quality build. Here are all the graphics I designed from the actual full scale boat photos in every detail. Can't wait to see these on the hull Trey hurry hurry we need our KAAMA fix!

Zoom in on the PDF file to see the quality of the true vector artwork.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jg13963.pdf (167.0 KB, 151 views)
Old 02-27-2010, 11:58 AM
FlogginHarvey

Graphics arrived yesterday and look great! Thank you for the notes on them for placement very nice touch.

Going to get started on the FG side of things late nerxt week and hope to have it ready for the Water by the end of March???!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:26 PM
FlogginHarvey

Updates! The owner of the real Kaama and I have spoken a couple times via e-mail and he is a VERY nice guy. He loves these big old Classic Scarabs!!!

And:

...finally made some time to work on the Scarab. The Hatch needs to be extended to mimic the KAAMA boat as those motors were staggered way back when. So, the red-neck came out in me and I got busy making a psuedo-mold for the extension. sprayed some "release agent" (AKA WD40 ) on the hatch and cut some cloth for the support...mixed up some west systems and WHALLAH! I was careful to pull it up while it was still "green" and flexible so it was pretty easy and didn't stick...I will cut the hatch in half in the middle of egine scoops and laminate in the the extension this week later (I hope)...

Name:	Da83166.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	1395301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20592.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	1395302  
Old 03-11-2010, 12:32 PM
OCEANBEACH

DOES ANYONE HAVE THE INSTRUCTION SHEET FOR THIS SCARAB ?

I THINK I HAVE ALL THE PARTS FOR MY INTERIOR ? BUT NEED TO KNOW THE ASSEMBLY.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:02 PM
FlogginHarvey

ORIGINAL: OCEANBEACH

DOES ANYONE HAVE THE INSTRUCTION SHEET FOR THIS SCARAB ?

I THINK I HAVE ALL THE PARTS FOR MY INTERIOR ? BUT NEED TO KNOW THE ASSEMBLY.

Check your e-mail. I sent a reply to you and am more than happy to share info I have collected. The old Dumas Scarab 38KV build sheets are fro Nitro Sub-Surface and the Gas Surface setup is a hair-bit different. There are also a few things you will want to do to the running surface if running a newer, higher hp motor setup like we use nowadays...the boat hull is an older design and has a TON of lift designed with some hook and rocker in different areas...It's a really fun sport boat hull but needs a little attention to make "perfect."
Old 03-11-2010, 05:12 PM
OCEANBEACH

thanks,
i'm looking for the cockpit assembly sheet, i have all the plastic parts as you have shown, but neeed to know how to install the side panels.
i'm not going to install any motor, just trying to make a replica model, then i'm trying to find 2 outdrives, ( i don't care if they are broken)
already have the exhaust tips, k trim tabs, railing etc.
boat was never rigged in all these years.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:08 PM
GETUSUM
My Feedback: (7)

Hey Big,
This is Richard from the boat dock,Get u Sum Racing

I just found 3 decal sheets, DASH, 2 sets of all the grills, 3 rub rail kits ect,,,,

Ihave 5 of the boats,,,and1 ready to run,,,YELLOW , with decal if anyone wants it for 450.00

Super nice hull,,,but BAD rigging on the engine , homelite in it,,,bought it, due to the hull being so nice.

Give me a Call harvy, if ya need any of the rails,,,Ibought all DUMAShad, period,,,none left,

[email protected]
getusuminc.com
Old 03-12-2010, 06:52 PM
specialk1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: FlogginHarvey

Updates! The owner of the real Kaama and I have spoken a couple times via e-mail and he is a VERY nice guy. He loves these big old Classic Scarabs!!!

And:

...finally made some time to work on the Scarab. The Hatch needs to be extended to mimic the KAAMA boat as those motors were staggered way back when. So, the red-neck came out in me and I got busy making a psuedo-mold for the extension. sprayed some ''release agent'' (AKA WD40 ) on the hatch and cut some cloth for the support...mixed up some west systems and WHALLAH! I was careful to pull it up while it was still ''green'' and flexible so it was pretty easy and didn't stick...I will cut the hatch in half in the middle of egine scoops and laminate in the the extension this week later (I hope)...
hey trey . i have some pictures that karma hull i took in Miami some years ago , i need to find them and post them .. that is a great build !!!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:35 AM
FlogginHarvey

ORIGINAL: GETUSUM

Hey Big,
This is Richard from the boat dock,Get u Sum Racing

I just found 3 decal sheets, DASH, 2 sets of all the grills, 3 rub rail kits ect,,,,

I have 5 of the boats,,,and 1 ready to run,,,YELLOW , with decal if anyone wants it for 450.00

Super nice hull,,,but BAD rigging on the engine , homelite in it,,,bought it, due to the hull being so nice.

Give me a Call harvy, if ya need any of the rails,,,I bought all DUMAS had, period,,,none left,

[email protected]
getusuminc.com

Thanks, R...I think I have all I need for this one. I will let you know if anything changes.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:36 AM
FlogginHarvey

ORIGINAL: specialk1

ORIGINAL: FlogginHarvey

And:

...finally made some time to work on the Scarab. The Hatch needs to be extended to mimic the KAAMA boat as those motors were staggered way back when. So, the red-neck came out in me and I got busy making a psuedo-mold for the extension. sprayed some ''release agent'' (AKA WD40 ) on the hatch and cut some cloth for the support...mixed up some west systems and WHALLAH! I was careful to pull it up while it was still ''green'' and flexible so it was pretty easy and didn't stick...I will cut the hatch in half in the middle of egine scoops and laminate in the the extension this week later (I hope)...
hey trey . i have some pictures that karma hull i took in Miami some years ago , i need to find them and post them .. that is a great build !!!

Post 'em Up!!! Love to see them for sure!
Old 03-18-2010, 10:37 AM
FlogginHarvey

Updates of the hatch work...what a PITA...and a HUGE mess. love this hobby!

Made a red-neck mold extension for the longer engine cowlings of the KAAMA vs the "stock" 38KV. I hope it releases???!!!

Name:	Us54635.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	1400540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74081.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	1400541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85951.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	1400542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un33701.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	1400543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te47476.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	1400544  
Old 03-20-2010, 12:31 AM
sticktickler

Red-neck or not as long as it works, looks like you're on the right track keep up the good work.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:12 PM
FlogginHarvey

Well...I think it will work. My "release agent" worked on most...I should have taped the edges of the hatch...using some plastic wedges to pull the part of my "mold" and it is slow going to be careful...
Old 03-23-2010, 12:23 PM
timjz
My Feedback: (1)

Richard, would you be willing to part with one of the decal sheets? I'm building a 45" Dumas Scarab & could use them. Funny you say that you bought all Dumas had, I called last Friday to order the rail kit for my boat. I also asked if they had ANY Scarab decals at all. They're all out. Anyway, let me know.
Tim

Does anyone have any extra decals or an extra windsheild for a Scarab?
Old 03-24-2010, 02:19 PM
FlogginHarvey

The windsheilds are actually just wood pieces they pre-cut and put into the the boxes...you seal with epoxy and glue together and affix to boat.

I will take a digital picture of my decal sheet tha came with the 38KV NIB lit and see if Jason (sticktickler) can reproduce a vinyl set. i bet ha can???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.