Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

"Nosen Cessna 310 Club"

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

"Nosen Cessna 310 Club"

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 03:26 PM
thisoldman
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE:

im on hold for a little while.. building a vacuum forming machine. have some things that i need and with all i have to do, this will help alot. Have the bottom box guile and working on getting it togeather.. ordered my vaccum pump. by the time it gets here should be about ready to hook it up.. will run some test runs first, then i can start making parts that i need.
will probable on this for acouple of weeks.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:57 PM
slevin1
My Feedback: (23)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE:

Looking great Al. Keep it up.

Saul
Old 11-14-2010, 08:17 AM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RE:

Al,is there a chance of some pics of the vacuum forming machine, I would enjoy seeing that project also? I'm also interested in what parts you're planning to make with it.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:19 AM
thisoldman

Default RE:

i can do that.. will get some pictures on here of the machine as i build it.. Im going to make the lens that goes in the tip tanks for the running lights. also have to make some things for another guy and his plane that im building for him. will also make the inside of the wheels well covers. always have had to buy these things.. this will save me time and money buy doing it myself.. everything for the machine can be bought pretty much at local hardware or lumber yard.. I have most of it already on hand.. I did buy a vaccum pump on ebay. Hope in a couple of weeks to have it going.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:21 AM
thisoldman

Default RE:

i know its not part of the build on here, but think that some of you might be interested in it and may want to build one yourself. can also do canopy's. this is going to make things alot easier.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:11 PM
warbirdmustang
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE:

I'm definately interested, Al. I'm wanting to build one myself, so you pics will be right on time!
Bryan
Old 11-16-2010, 12:20 PM
thisoldman

here is the start of the vacuum machine.. i will be able to do 6x9, 12x9 and 12x18. will have 3 different size plattens. will keep you posted on it. this will be a two stage.. vacuum pump and shop vac working togeather.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:21 PM
thisoldman

here is the start of the vacuum machine.. i will be able to do 6x9, 12x9 and 12x18. will have 3 different size plattens. will keep you posted on it.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:26 PM
thisoldman

for some reasons it did not post pictures.. will try again.. this will be a two stage.. vac pump and shop vac working togeather
Old 11-16-2010, 12:28 PM
thisoldman

two more pictures.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:28 AM
DelRay

Al, thanks for the pics, looks like you're a good carpenter. I'm thinking of building one , these pics will help give me some ideas.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:13 AM
thisoldman

Default RE:

well i got the vacuum machine done.. now im back on the 310 again. thought there might be more people on here by now as the building season is going now. picked up another n osen 310 kit.. will put it back anlong with the trainer. have enought to keep me going for a few years now. will start posting pictures again as i move along with build.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:26 AM
slevin1
My Feedback: (23)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE:

Al,

Please post some video of the vacuum forming process on YouTube.

Saul
Old 12-09-2010, 06:54 AM
thisoldman

Default RE:

not able to do video.. do not have a video camera.. sorry. does anyone have pictures on how they did there flaps. trying to figure out inner flaps.. do not have room for servo.
might have to make it so when i plug in outer wing it hooks to inner flap to operate.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:18 PM
wolfy888

Hi, guys: new to the forum here, but am building a version converted to P/Q model, and have reduced the Nosen plan to 68% of original size to arrive at an 83" span, using Magnum .46's as powerplants. Just breezed over the posts, as there are a LOT of us 310 fans out there; I have some useful stuff to share about construction and details. Someone was asking about the flap wells and linkages; I'll post how i solved this soon. Am looking for the appropriate sized retracts, and am considering electric units, as I have the door sequencer computer already. Airframe should weigh in at 18-21 lbs., so I'm a bit smaller than the real thing, but am looking at more intense details like the fueling ports will actually be at the scale location in the tip tanks, meaning that I installed DuBro fueling valves under small flip-open doors at the scale location, and ran fuel ines from there to the actual tanks in the nacelles.Hope to see new posts fromeveryone soon, as I've coveted this airplane since I first saw the ads for the originl kit way back in 1974. Wolfy888
Old 12-11-2010, 07:09 AM
thisoldman

Default RE:

after alot of work and not being happy with the way the wings go togeather im making a change.. going to make the wing one piece. its long but don't like the flex in it. had it set up in three pieces, but just not happy with it. just to much chance of it flexing. always something that im not happy with and having to make changes. if i was going to leave in three pieces, would change to larger rods and install dowels thru ply. maybe next one will do that.
fuselage is comming along.. i love the g & l glass one. not all that carving and sanding.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:07 PM
frankeldan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I split my wing into the 3 sections too. But I'm also afraid of the flex in them. I'm going to put it all back into 1 wing also. It's going to be tough to lug 120" plus around though.

Like all your progress Al. We are all listening here. Keep up the nice work.

Dan

Old 12-11-2010, 03:10 PM
thisoldman

Default RE:

well ill keep up the work. having to make some changes in how im going to fasten all into one.. changing out one of the ribs and putting in a ply rib and also adding ply across3 ribs so the wing becomes one.. will show more as i post some pictures. so busy right now, im lucky if i can get couple of hours a day on it. anyway i hope everyone has a merry Christmas and happy new year. still have some shopping to do for the wife yet.. Have to keep her happy or will be living in the shop.. he he.
also will have carbon fiber the full length of the wing.
a year from now my next project will be a 148 inch p39 aircorba with engine mounted where it is suppose to be.. behind the pilot with drive shaft to the prob. Have some of the engineering done on it, but have it on hold for right now.
the cessna 310 has been a project that i have enjoyed so far.. will keep everyone ujpdated on it as i go. have spent more time on it then i thought i would, but that is because of all the changes i have been making to it. going to use a new type of covering on it.. you spread it on and you do not have to glass.. throught a friend have found the system to not glassing or smelling it anymore.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:38 AM
frankeldan

What type of resin is it ? West systems? I've used West .. no smell, easy to work with, long setup time.

D
Old 12-12-2010, 08:33 AM
DelRay

Al, I understand the concern over the flexing of the wing tips in a three piece wing design, but it can be done with good results. There are a couple of areas where this flexing can occur, one is the area where the center section and wing tip come together. Another is the male and female means of joing the two.
Here's a few pics of mine and a brief description of how I did it. I used aluminum tubes in the center section and machined steel rods to fit them for the tips. The tips are secured with the quick pins in each nacel, two per nacel.( note the pin on the nacel, I wasn't sure what the correct name for them was) It's dark in there, but it gives ya the idea of what I'm talking about.
The ribs that meet at the center / tip junction can and should be a nice , tight fit, no wobble there. I made sure that those were a nice, tight fit before drilling the holes for the pins. The wooden stands are something I built to hold the center section, it comes in handy for storage, and really is nice for assembly at the field.
If one has the means to transport a full , one piece wing, that would be the way to go.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25178.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1533234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11935.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1533235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42236.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1533236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47977.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	1533237  
Old 12-12-2010, 06:17 PM
thisoldman

Default RE:

i have the room to haul it around so thats not a hard thing for me.. on the next one i do ill do a 3 piece and make it different.
the stuff that im going to use is made my stryo spray and sells for 29 dollars a quart. a friend says 8oz will cover a large scale plane and is just a good as fiber glassing with out all the glass and smell. glassing drives me nuts.. have reaction to the glass and resin. i can get more info if anyone wants it.
got my prints copied for the aerocorba.. man that is going to be a huge plane, going to take a good size engine for that one, but that is in the future. the lumber is going to cost something for that one.
maybe tomorrow can get some pictures on here. hope i can get more then a hour or two in the shop tomorrow. wife asked what i wanted for christmas. told her a 2000 hp radial engine.. yea right she said.
some day i hope i can come across a good deal on a 180 or 200cc radial. they are expensive right now and don't see them comming down much in the future.
i have two p47, a p38, a p51 and giant corsair yet to build.. so guess you know im going to be busy for awhile. most of my summer next year will be in the shop instead at the flying field. also a giant aerocorba p39
Old 12-13-2010, 04:12 AM
thisoldman

Default RE:

was reading back thru everything.. just a reminder that i have the formers on cd for the g and l glass fuselage.. have sent to a few of the guys. well today i can get back on it. think we need 32 hours in a day. time sure flys when having fun.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:17 PM
frankeldan

ORIGINAL: thisoldman

i have the room to haul it around so thats not a hard thing for me.. on the next one i do ill do a 3 piece and make it different.
the stuff that im going to use is made my stryo spray and sells for 29 dollars a quart. a friend says 8oz will cover a large scale plane and is just a good as fiber glassing with out all the glass and smell. glassing drives me nuts.. have reaction to the glass and resin. i can get more info if anyone wants it.
got my prints copied for the aerocorba.. man that is going to be a huge plane, going to take a good size engine for that one, but that is in the future. the lumber is going to cost something for that one.
maybe tomorrow can get some pictures on here. hope i can get more then a hour or two in the shop tomorrow. wife asked what i wanted for christmas. told her a 2000 hp radial engine.. yea right she said.
some day i hope i can come across a good deal on a 180 or 200cc radial. they are expensive right now and don't see them comming down much in the future.
i have two p47, a p38, a p51 and giant corsair yet to build.. so guess you know im going to be busy for awhile. most of my summer next year will be in the shop instead at the flying field. also a giant aerocorba p39

Well Al ... You do have some lofty plans for building in the future. I'm lucky if I can find the time to repair all the landing gear that I've busted off the Arfs this season. I was out of work for the last 13 months , so did my share of flying and building this year. But all good things must come to an end. I landed a job and started last week. soooo.. My man cave time is limited now. When you find out what you are using to glass, let us know.

Dan
Old 12-15-2010, 06:22 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh my gosh Al we must be related in some way shape or form
I hold very dear to my heart the Cessna 310, Piper Pa-22 Tri-Pacer
and the Bell P-39 Airacobra. Got to keep tabs on the P-39, been
thinking of getting the American Eagle kit down the road after I
finally get started on my new 310 next year.

BTW keep up the good work on the 310 been following along.

Bill D.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:07 AM
thisoldman

hi bill
well i have over a hundred hours in the tri pacer. will build one later down the road. have about 25 hours in the 310. none in the aircorba. but the one im building is from scratch. the wing span will be around 148 inches. will mount the motor where it is suppose to be.. behind the pilot. will probable get started on it late next year.. have alot of things to do first. will keep going on the 310.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.