Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Buz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

ORIGINAL: aircrash

Hi Simon,

I did a flight for you also. An extra one, so I cooked all six batteries. [img][/img]
Nice T-shirt weather, alley not so much busy, spectators, no wind (zero), so I took advantage.
I`m so happy. [img][/img]

I went high, close to the power cables, to the 3rd floor, in this alley.
Then I started to make some turns there. [img][/img]
Now I have to go to a nice place to fly.

I wish you get those birds done soon. So you get some stick time, and video time (you make good ones).

Hi again Buzz,

Well, my new 3in1 is also a bit tricky to the drifting.
Set the gyro also to a little more sensitive. This helps.
I also have to make it perfect as it was the stock one.

Now both the previous and this one fly better when you run the bird some seconds, then unplug the battery and plug it again.
It`s the gyro.

Get this video done. [img][/img]

Spiros

Spiros,

I just came back into my office after going out to see if I had the swash plate level. It was perfect. So, I set it down in the driveway and took off. It was flying great until I saw something fly out the bottom of the helicopter at the same time I lost control of it. I am so glad i was only about 5 ft high. One of the motors fell out! LOL!~ I still had top rotors, so I went wide open to soften the "landing" and it really did help... I broke a top blade. It all landed in the soft grass, and I don't see any more damage. So, I guess I'll just put the motor back in. The mounting screws are lost.... but I can borrow another pair from another heli. It seems like the more I work on this one, the worse it gets! I promise a good video if I can actually get anything to fly.

Buzz
Old 05-12-2010, 06:32 PM
dshutters

Peter,

I've had good luck using a T6 Torx driver. In extreme cases (as when I've completely rounded out the grub screw's socket) I've gently tapped a T7 Torx driver into the screw hole to remove it. Hope this helps.

Dave
Old 05-12-2010, 06:52 PM
dshutters

<div id="TixyyLink" style="border-bottom: medium none; text-align: left; border-left: medium none; background-color: transparent; color: #000000; overflow: hidden; border-top: medium none; border-right: medium none; text-decoration: none">I guess I should formally introduce myself. I've been a "lurker" for a few months, and am very grateful for the information everyone has posted here. I have been involved in RC hobbies for several years, mainly fixed-wing aircraft.

I currently have 3 BOL's. 2 "modified stock" and 1 built from scratch with aftermarket parts. My favorite ATM is the scratch built BOL. It is a brushless/boardless version, Xtreme carbon frame, extended shaft, Xtreme hard blades and Xtreme lower rotor head. I plan on installing the Xtreme blade grips and a Skytec metal swashplate (as time and $'s allow). I am using the Fusuno MD500 fuselage from HeliDirect. I'll try posting some pictures - never tried this before so bear with me. The radio I use with this is a JR XP6102 with micro-lite receiver left over from my airplane days. As many of you have stated - it is almost as much fun building and modifying these machines as it is flying them.

Again, thanks for all of the great information and the entertaining conversations.

Dave

</div>
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lj24215.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1435134   Click image for larger version

Name:	lg17086.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1435135   Click image for larger version

Name:	ty64339.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1435136   Click image for larger version

Name:	sl27711.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1435137   Click image for larger version

Name:	pa33618.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1435138   Click image for larger version

Name:	ne54988.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1435139   Click image for larger version

Name:	hj86643.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1435140   Click image for larger version

Name:	bz88866.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1435141  

Old 05-12-2010, 07:00 PM
rikybob

Simon,

The bold was funny! Prolly a lot of truth to it! Speaking of which......I will carry BOTH of the lil birds on holiday! It will be another short one but after working 12 days straight.....I NEED a break.

So can I borrow about 3 of those cyclic servos??? Looks like yer not using them!

I checked my last HK post........looks like somewhere around the 22nd ish.

Then, DUN, DUN, DUN......the "build" begins. I'm jazzed.......till then I fly my BOL and the SR!

R/B
Old 05-12-2010, 07:03 PM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: dshutters

<div id=''TixyyLink'' style=''border-bottom: medium none; text-align: left; border-left: medium none; background-color: transparent; color: #000000; overflow: hidden; border-top: medium none; border-right: medium none; text-decoration: none''>I guess I should formally introduce myself. I've been a ''lurker'' for a few months, and am very grateful for the information everyone has posted here. I have been involved in RC hobbies for several years, mainly fixed-wing aircraft.

I currently have 3 BOL's. 2 ''modified stock'' and 1 built from scratch with aftermarket parts. My favorite ATM is the scratch built BOL. It is a brushless/boardless version, Xtreme carbon frame, extended shaft, Xtreme hard blades and Xtreme lower rotor head. I plan on installing the Xtreme blade grips and a Skytec metal swashplate (as time and $'s allow). I am using the Fusuno MD500 fuselage from HeliDirect. I'll try posting some pictures - never tried this before so bear with me. The radio I use with this is a JR XP6102 with micro-lite receiver left over from my airplane days. As many of you have stated - it is almost as much fun building and modifying these machines as it is flying them.

Again, thanks for all of the great information and the entertaining conversations.

Dave

</div>
Hi Dave!

Glad you came out to play with us! Sounds like you have a great armada!

We look forward to enjoying your company!

R/B
Old 05-12-2010, 10:58 PM
aircrash

Hi Dave and welcome,

Three BOL? Sounds like you must have lots of fun there.
One of them has almost no esky part on it!
Keep up.

Spiros

Old 05-13-2010, 03:00 AM
sgbfly

ORIGINAL: dshuttersI guess I should formally introduce myself. I've been a "lurker" for a few months, and am very grateful for the information everyone has posted here. I have been involved in RC hobbies for several years, mainly fixed-wing aircraft.
<div style="border: medium none; text-align: left; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); overflow: hidden; text-decoration: none;" id="TixyyLink">
I currently have 3 BOL's. 2 "modified stock" and 1 built from scratch with aftermarket parts. My favorite ATM is the scratch built BOL. It is a brushless/boardless version, Xtreme carbon frame, extended shaft, Xtreme hard blades and Xtreme lower rotor head. I plan on installing the Xtreme blade grips and a Skytec metal swashplate (as time and $'s allow). I am using the Fusuno MD500 fuselage from HeliDirect. I'll try posting some pictures - never tried this before so bear with me. The radio I use with this is a JR XP6102 with micro-lite receiver left over from my airplane days. As many of you have stated - it is almost as much fun building and modifying these machines as it is flying them.

Dave</div>
HI Dave &amp; Welcome,

Your bbBOL looks great. First time I've seen an xtreme frame installed. Is there some rtfheli parts installed? (skids, battery tray, esc and bl motors perhaps). If you get chance, I would love to see a vid of this bbBOL flying!

Simon
Old 05-13-2010, 04:57 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: dshutters
Peter,
I've had good luck using a T6 Torx driver. In extreme cases (as when I've completely rounded out the grub screw's socket) I've gently tapped a T7 Torx driver into the screw hole to remove it. Hope this helps.
Hey Dave & may I add my welcome - albiet a bit late (due to time zones).......

Thanks for introducing yourself mate. I had the feeling there were a number of buzy fliers just lurking & reading - and you confirmed it for me!!
Thanks for the above info on Torx drivers - I'm sure it will come in handy![sm=49_49.gif]

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
P.S. The most radical that I have got with a grub screw is putting a dob of CA onto the end of a hex wrench and pressing it into the hole (let it set for a few minutes) It worked great BTW........
P.P.S. At last count I have three BOLs also[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 05-13-2010, 06:51 AM
Sky Soldier

Welcome Dave,

Glad to have another Tennesseean! I grew up on a farm outside of Memphis and ATM am parked across the River so I can run over and check on family and property there. Will be moving over to Lobelville,TN later this summer. Hope you haven't had any damage from the recent flooding. Living near Ft. Campbell you must see military birds in the sky alot.

Love the pics you posted. Your MD500 is making me drool. I want one. How does it handle in flight compared to stock cabin? Is it durable? How about replacement skids?

Calm winds and carefree flying,
Jerry
Old 05-13-2010, 09:37 AM
vincefly

Hi Dave,
I'm glad to see other "Lurkers" out there so that I won't feel alone.

This group is the cream of the crop when it comes to the BOL. The knowledge base and experience is priceless.
Enjoy and participate. I should and will.

Vince
Old 05-13-2010, 10:03 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: vincefly

Hi Dave,
I'm glad to see other ''Lurkers'' out there so that I won't feel alone.

This group is the cream of the crop when it comes to the BOL. The knowledge base and experience is priceless.
Enjoy and participate. I should and will.

Vince

Hi again Vince!

Yes you should participate and glad you will!!!

Yer pal in BOL!

R/B
Old 05-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Buz

Hi Dave,

Welcome aboard! Jump on into the discussion. I want to know more about your Heli. It looks great!

Buzz
Old 05-13-2010, 12:16 PM
kiwigeoff

Welcome Dave,

Great looking bird. I hope we eventually see some video of it flying.

Jump in with some discussions as it sounds like you have plenty of experiance that can be shared.

Geoff
Old 05-13-2010, 04:30 PM
aircrash

Hi again,

Tonight I cooked 4 packs. It was great!
Now that Ihave time to fly I started buying batteries. I think those are a bit better.
I may have to buy more chargers though!

I made an onboard test again, at the afternoon. It seems the video is better, less vibrations.

The bad part is that there is wind during daylight, except of very early in the morning. The good part is the wind is calm at the night.
Those leds have saved me a lot, as I can see it better and so can any other who passes from the alley (cars, trains, boats, etc).

I have to say I`m very happy with the C 40x Main Blade Esky E020 Big Lama MD500 53#1 53Q.
They fly very good, they are good to a sporty flight, they stand a contact and track perfectly. I can confirm this every time I use the BOL.
But most of all, they are cheap.

Till now the gears seem to last forever, the skids, the battery holder (I have done the battery tray credit card mod), the motors (well, they will go off sometime), the fuselage (taped).

I`ll upload a new video too.

Best to you,

Spiros
Old 05-13-2010, 04:42 PM
aircrash

ORIGINAL: Buz

Spiros,

I just came back into my office after going out to see if I had the swash plate level. It was perfect.
Hi Buzz,

This is good.
As when the swashplate is level and so the servo arms are at the middle (center) then you have all the available travel the servo can give to the swashplate, so you get the maximum swashplate change.
When it needs trimming then you loose some travel. So you loose FF speed (or backwards speed).
This along with the c.o.g will make it speedy, but it will fly better also.

ORIGINAL: Buz
So, I set it down in the driveway and took off. It was flying great until I saw something fly out the bottom of the helicopter at the same time I lost control of it. I am so glad i was only about 5 ft high. One of the motors fell out! LOL!~ I still had top rotors, so I went wide open to soften the "landing" and it really did help... I broke a top blade. It all landed in the soft grass, and I don't see any more damage. So, I guess I'll just put the motor back in. The mounting screws are lost.... but I can borrow another pair from another heli. It seems like the more I work on this one, the worse it gets! I promise a good video if I can actually get anything to fly.

Buzz
I wish you have better luck to this bird, and upload another good video.
I liked much your walkera video.

Spiros
Old 05-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Sky Soldier

Hey Ya'll

My birthday present to myself arrived today, a BOL with red cabin, 'Big Red'. Spent a great afternoon lubing and running in motors, installing +20 shaft, credit card mod and string taping inside of cabin. Now if the wind would just lay down so I can test fly.

Spiros,

I know you say tape the outside too, but just can't get myself to do that yet. I did put one narrow strip along the spine of the tail where the seam wasn't glued well. My taping skills aren't that good, but I can get by with wrinkles on the inside.

Simon,

You've slipped a couple more good ones in and I love it. Please define: nesh and chuckable. And the origin of the word 'chuff' would be interesting to know. Can you tell, Mate, that I'm fasinated by language use and accents? Good on you.

Calm winds and Clear alleys,
Jerry

ps. The wind Gods smiled and I got to run 5 packs, 2 each on the BOLs. All birds handled the occasional gust just fine and I only stopped because of darkness.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:00 PM
aircrash

Hi Jerry,

That`s good news!
Happy birthday! With a nice present also.
You get them (video) taped. And post about the +20mm shaft after some use.

PS. Ilike the "clear alleys" thing.

Spiros

Old 05-14-2010, 01:30 AM
Edmund2

Welcome Dave, the guys on this thread has helped my to become a BOL lover as well.

Spiros/Simon/Peter, will assemble UBOL tonight and check operation. Fitted another grub screw that went in a bit further. Checked with fiber optics light if there is anyhting preventing it from going in deeper and found nothing. All plugs are tight so I can only start up to check. Another hectic day ahead so have a great one all.

Edmund2

PS, try this one. Waiting for the bean counters to fix up something so I went onto the roof at work (150 x150 meters), no wind. Had a nice flight and flew down gently from roof levelto the ground 9 meters below, barely made it up again before lipo ran out. Heck of an effect on depth perception going downas it wants to fly upwards not downwards.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:15 AM
rikybob

Hi all!

Happy Birthday Jerry! Glad you got your RED BOL in and and how smart to prep it out before flight!

Edmund, I will be taking my birds with me on summer vacation in the Carolina mountains and expect to fly my BOL off my friends home, deck similarly! I imagine it is neat AND disconcerting simultaniously!

Well, no wind this am but work came early. I flew both my SR and BOL for a pack a piece in prepartion for a camping weekend this weekend! I didn't want to crash either of them so "played nicely". Lets see if I can get some vid over the short holiday?

I am progressing nicely with the "unmentionable" as I have learned three of the four orientations. "Nose in" will be coming soon as the inevitable crashes!

Best to all!

R/B
Old 05-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Edmund2

R/B enjoy the break, in desperate need of one as well after the horrible week at work. Mrs has a full one planned for me with daughter's wedding arrangements etc., luckily no chores lined up so will get some flying time. Picking up the CP from heli hospital tomorrow. Will also get a training kit to help with the landings. Just had a flight down the 60 meter long passage at work above head level. If the forward stick had the same facility as the throttle I could have put the TX down so prefectly it flies.

My son's BOL is twitching in the tail so proportional will need to be adjusted as well as swash to fix sideways and rearwards drift. All the great info on the forums has provided pictures of what needs to be done. He is back in SA next week and then he will take his BOL along to Namibia. Was hoever nice to have 3 of them at home.

Catch you guys from home over the weekend.

Edmund2
Old 05-14-2010, 09:22 AM
aircrash

Hi Edmund,

I hope you get the U-BOL right for some good flights.
Try the gyro as Simon had advised and set the proportional as close as to the center (of the pot travel).
If all connections are OK then it should work OK.

But if all these fail, then the fault may be to the throttle range setting of the esc. One must have been programmed (set) wrong.

Hi Rikybob,

Get them so you can have fun, spectators, fans, and videos!
Have a nice holiday.

Hi Jerry and Peter,

I would be happy if I could get a non-Tx version RED BOL (or blue). If I find one, and if the exchange rate is good then I`ll buy one!
If Peter does not buy it first, and if Jerry let some spare parts for me so I can have a nice combined shipping cost.

Hi Simon,

How is the 2nd BOL goes? Still waiting parts?

PS. Li-po are being charged, I hope I can cook some tonight (as the wind is bad at the afternoon).
I promise I won`t upload any other night video! I`m full of them!

Spiros

Old 05-14-2010, 09:39 AM
sgbfly

ORIGINAL: Sky Soldier

Hey Ya'll

My birthday present to myself arrived today, a BOL with red cabin, 'Big Red'. Spent a great afternoon lubing and running in motors, installing +20 shaft, credit card mod and string taping inside of cabin. Now if the wind would just lay down so I can test fly.

Simon,

You've slipped a couple more good ones in and I love it. Please define: nesh and chuckable. And the origin of the word 'chuff' would be interesting to know. Can you tell, Mate, that I'm fasinated by language use and accents? Good on you.

Calm winds and Clear alleys,
Jerry
Hi Jerry,

Happy Birthday &amp; I'm chuffed you got so much flying in before darkness descended! Your post made me chuckle I will probably have to email you so as not to trouble the moderators But here goes:

I like to chuck (throw) a bit of slang into the discussion for good humour. A lot of the slang I use is frequently used in Yorkshire, a north eastern English county. Nesh - means does not like the cold or susceptible to the cold. Chuckable, has some interesting meanings, but, as I used it, I think it comes from motoring journalism. A chuckable car is one that can tolerate being driven hard or thrown arround. So for flying a BOL, chuckable means you can jockey the sticks &amp; fly with gay abandon. Oops there I go again. Gay abandon is the same as reckless abandon and means without care or worry. Chuffed means very pleased or delighted. Chuff has a number of meanings the most innocent of which is the noise steam trains make . Whatever you do, don't look up some of the slang I use here.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Simon

Old 05-14-2010, 09:57 AM
sgbfly

How is the 2nd BOL goes? Still waiting parts?

PS. Li-po are being charged, I hope I can cook some tonight (as the wind is bad at the afternoon).
I promise I won`t upload any other night video! I`m full of them!
Hi Spiros,

The stuff you helped me with from global.mart arrived today. This included a rx for BOL #2. The esc's and gyro I ordered from Hobbyking should be tomorrow or monday according to the mail tracking. What is holding this project up is the lack of stock at my favourite vendor (miracle mart). Cabin, frame, tray and skids are required and not yet ordered. I will wait a little while yet because their quality of service has earned my loyalty!

All the parts except for a tail servo have now arrived for the 450 build.

Have fun tonight! I'm babysitting for my sister!

Simon
Old 05-14-2010, 10:44 AM
aircrash

Hi again Simon,

I am too waiting for Miracle Mart to get in stock some parts.
As I had found no non-Tx BOL.

So your 450 is almost ready. That`s nice!

Now I did a test flight on the modded brushless BOL. I did not liked it at all.
Blade strikes, the bird is not steady at all out of the blade coning, you make a stick input the blades cone then starts to move as it likes, it needs too much throttle to lift with the 10Tpinions, and I`m totally disappointed of it.
I can`t fit again the 11T pinions as I don`t know if the rest are OK.
I should have gone for 400D full length blades... I was afraid of that from the beginning...
Too much head speed for those poor stock blades... the 400D in full length would cope to the weight, as the 400D weighs the same...
I knew that (I had told it before I build it), I hoped I could get away, but no...

So, Imay fit it in a stock fuselage, actually to my brushed taped fuselage and if it goes well then I`ll use a fresh fuselage to the brushed one.

I remember you`ve said your BOL weighs 393g without a battery.
This is the weight of my modded BOL without esc, battery and Belt-CP canopy...

So I better start modifying it to a nice stock fuselage...

But if you have a nice price 400D blades then I could try some. At a +25mm extended shaft.
Wait, I have 7894 stock length blades... I must make use of them...
If it goes well in the stock fuselage then I`ll make the modded chassis BOL a static model, with a new untaped canopy, new fins, xtreme white blades, a metal kit, new skids (I have some), and polished (again) the frame.

Spiros

Old 05-14-2010, 12:46 PM
rikybob

Hi again Simon,

So your 450 is almost ready. That`s nice!
Spiros

Uh, if you count being in little pieces in a box as almost ready.

"We" have a loooooong way to go!

R/B

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.