Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 05:58 AM
sgbfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

Hi Brian,

Bad luck re. motor screws. I've just got the servo's in but it was not without incident. I was gripping a nut with some thin pliers whilst trying to tighten the screw & then a moment of mal-coordination got the better of me. The little nut was then heard ricocheting around the room and finished at the back of a desk that is flush to a wall and only weights 3.5 tonnes! The next 40 minutes were spent looking for a telescopic magnet!

The nut is now recovered!

Simon
Old 05-23-2010, 06:04 AM
rikybob

Simon,

Niiice recovery. There are a few extra everything in the packages so you know. [8D]

I think we need to as soon as practical get new servo "nuts" that are able to easliy disengage when crashing so as not to break the frame.

As for motor screws. I don't think yours came with any either. I have an LHS, what is your solution?? The "tin" may help???

Brian
Old 05-23-2010, 06:16 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: rikybob
Yes, that is my ''harem'' got I'm lucky! Going to drink some coffee and get some flying in before Tony and I semi finish my build. I don't have screws to set the motor in. Grrrrrr
Peter,
I will be waiting ref: music. It was really kinda cool and catchy. More vid will be the order of the day!
Hey again Brian,

I count you as one of the lucky ones - as you have expert help "on tap". I have had no-one here to help me out - and earlier on had to feel my way through - learning as I go/make nistakes......
I'm glad that I found the eager, like-minded guys on these forums (especially this thread) to bounce ideas off - else I would be A LOT worse off

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
I will reveal the music artist & name during this week - and Tuesday IS heli-meet -"so stay tuned"[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 05-23-2010, 06:19 AM
sgbfly

Hi Brian, I'm hoping spare screws from the BOL motors will fit OK. Also, your right in that I think I have seen some in the heli spares tin.

Simon
Old 05-23-2010, 07:29 AM
aircrash

Hello there.
Thank you Brian and Peter.

Today I cooked 4 packs on the BOL. It was nice. Some wind, some drops of rain, and at last daylight flying again!
I uploaded a couple of vids too. One is being uploaded actually.

An interesting (beautiful) neighbor got at the balcony, but I kept looking at the BOL...

Brian, I see you are short of little things. Buy lots of spares!!! BTW, the phone company must be happy! I wish you get it up asap.
Simon, I know how is to miss a tiny thing and then have to look for it. This really can make you slow on progress. I have also a magnet in a boom.
Peter, you have so many birds that if you were helped on each of them then I could feel sorry for the guy who helped (considering the birds you have) . That`s nice to see someone got it going by himself.

Enjoy your birds for as long as they can go up!

Spiros

Old 05-23-2010, 07:57 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: aircrash

Hello there.
Thank you Brian and Peter.

Today I cooked 4 packs on the BOL. [img][/img] It was nice. Some wind, some drops of rain, and at last daylight flying again!
I uploaded a couple of vids too. One is being uploaded actually.

An interesting (beautiful) neighbor got at the balcony, but I kept looking at the BOL...

Brian, I see you are short of little things. Buy lots of spares!!! [img][/img] BTW, the phone company must be happy! I wish you get it up asap.
Simon, I know how is to miss a tiny thing and then have to look for it. This really can make you slow on progress. I have also a magnet in a boom.
Peter, you have so many birds that if you were helped on each of them then I could feel sorry for the guy who helped (considering the birds you have) . That`s nice to see someone got it going by himself.

Enjoy your birds for as long as they can go up!
[img][/img]

Spiros

Spiros,

Glad you could fly and next time get a picture of both "birds" please.

I recall a pretty one in the alley one time!

As for spares as soon as the Princess bonus comes in I am going to pick up quite a few spares!

As for the phone, Tony and I have unlimited phone minutes. I am going to investigate Skype however for overseas calls, I hear its pennys a minute!

Enjoy my [link=http://www.youtube.com/user/b4566bb]latest video [/link] with commentary and I have one more coming as well!

Brian
Old 05-23-2010, 08:37 AM
aircrash

Hi again Brian,

I see you`re getting this bird mastered.
Nice flight!
Get this 450 built.

As for the phone, I`m not in a free (unlimited) calls program, but there is such a program with a little more monthly fee. There is a free international calls also.
But I would have to pay the double the monthly fee. I do not, so Ican buy even more parts!
ROFL

PS. Now it`s raining (but a bit)...

Spiros
Old 05-23-2010, 08:52 AM
sgbfly

As for the phone, I`m not in a free (unlimited) calls program, but there is such a program with a little more monthly fee. There is a free international calls also.
But I would have to pay the double the monthly fee
. I do not, so Ican buy even more parts!
ROFL
Hi Guys,

FYI I have one of these call plans at work.

I'm going to have to down tools now because I have visitors. My progress is attached

I also bought 2 of these Wera 1.5mm Allen screw drivers. They are the best hex drivers I have!

Simon

ps. Nice vid Brian!
pps. Peter, should you be minded to get one of these. Feel free to email at will!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32675.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	1440632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18206.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1440633  
Old 05-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Sky Soldier

Hey Ya'll or You All,

I see you've been busy here on the thread while I was having a boating, bar-b-que and beer excursion. Took my birds along and, as usual, the Loach got away from me and busted 2 blades. I was astounded when the flybar cap (stock) broke and Big Red BOL suffered its first crash. No other damage and the screws were still in place! So I get to do a little tinkering to get all flyworthy again.

Hey Spiros,

Love your new led setup. The flying was real nice, too. I agree with Brian, try to get the other 'birds' in the frame next time. The bi-lingual commentary was priceless.

Hey Brian,

Another nice vid, as usual. Sorry to hear you're missing screws. I've suspected that you single rotor guys have had a screw loose to start with!

Hey Geoff,

No worries, mate. Will give you a review of the HP blades after I've flown them enough to have an opinion.

Hey Dave,

What's your opinion of the Hard Extreme blades you have on your MD500? I have a few sets of the floppy white Extreme's and don't like the mushy feel they impart.
I suppose they help with onboard video, but I really have no interest in that. When I get a keyfob cam I'll use it as a hat cam. I hope I can find one of those fluffy terry cloth ones so I can be just like Our Hero.

Calm winds and Comical crashes,
Jerry

ps, Yes Simon, Gypsy did chase the BOL and almost caught it with a flying leap once. I've had 3 horses move into the flying field. This should be interesting.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:05 AM
dshutters

Hi All

Keep up the good work on the videos. I've not yet been able to put together a video that I feel is worthy of uploading. I'll keep trying though.

Jerry - I really like the hard Xtreme blades - except for the price. They give a much more solid feel to the controls. They are more durable than the stock blades as well, which is important when you take my flying skills into account!

My battery charger has just informed me that the lipos are ready to fly. Gotta go - the blue sky is beckoning!

Best regards to all

Dave
Old 05-23-2010, 11:40 AM
aircrash

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the comments.

Yes the hat-cam is really a good go. You can even wear it at midnight and no problem. Noone will laugh at you.
Now I used some self sticking velcro tape and it looks really good.
I had seen Simon to use it (took a photo of his own) and then I made one. Just pick up a good cap. One that fits right into your head at the same position no matter if you don`t look (critical as you`ll have to press the rec button).
One with a big curve to its brim is a good one, as it is hard enough to make the camera stay steady.

I use a Kingston 4GB Class 4 micro SD card and it is fast also. At copying it goes as fast as 8-9MB/s (I think it`s MB/s).

You`ve got to love the HP blades. Or else I would feel unconfortable Ibought 4 or 5x of 40x blades.
In fact they are so cheap that you should love them.
Anyway I hope they suit you.
In every video you see I use only the HPblades (although I recently bought some more stock "A" blades).
In the last 5 or 6 (which is a lot of flights between of them) I use the same pairs.

On the other hand I have to use again the stock blades and why not, the white xtreme ones I have.

The PR301 charges the EK1-0188 battery at 1 hour as Simon said. It charges the 1500mah (true 1000mah) too soon also.
So I think even the "loose a screw" battery owners could have PR301 chargers for two or more batteries. If they ever fly more than some seconds. (I`m joking).

Ohh, btw, why don`t you use an xtreme extended shaft on the red BOL?

I`m going to cook some li-po there (in the alley, where else? ). Ihave six packs ready.

Have a good flying experience there.

Spiros

Old 05-23-2010, 01:31 PM
aircrash

ORIGINAL: sgbfly

I'm going to have to down tools now because I have visitors. My progress is attached

I also bought 2 of these Wera 1.5mm Allen screw drivers. They are the best hex drivers I have!

Hi Simon,

Well done for the 450 kit. I wish for the best.

I would like such a screwdriver type allen but it costs a bit (mind the shipping cost to me). I had found (locally) Wiha allen screwdrivers at the same price (as you paid) but I was afraid it would not last too long, cause of the small size.
So instead I bought a few ordinary allen wrench, saw that a couple of them were too soft and they were worn, so Icut the damaged tip (angle grinder) and then I heated up the tip and cool it rapidly to water ( quench hardening ).
Now they last and they don`t wear out.

Ihad a great time, no wind or just 1 Beaufort, got 5 packs cooked and tried the passing over (above) a car for a few times. It was great (funny).

Spiros

Old 05-23-2010, 02:28 PM
aircrash

Now another video to the Big Outdoor Lama fans (or maniacs).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BctrIPZc0n8[/youtube]

Not as good as the previous time, maybe I should insert the key camera more to the sponge holder, but who knows...

PS. Someone stop me shooting videos!

Spiros
Old 05-23-2010, 03:50 PM
sgbfly

Hi Spiros,

I liked your video & noticed the onboard video got a little better as time went by. I'm guessing that this was the blades slowly straightening due to centrifugal force. Perhaps your blades are fractionally too tight in the grips?.....Or perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree!

I'm tempted to go outside with the BOL now, then again I've had a drink so perhaps discretion is the better part of valour??!!

Best to all!

Simon
Old 05-23-2010, 04:15 PM
aircrash

Hi Simon,

Have I ever told you I was -and still am- not only helped from your posts but also inspired to be a lover of the BOL?
Never mind, I`ll tell it once more.

A drink and a BOLmight be a tricky combination.

Good point, there must be something that causes this little shaking so it does not focus so well.
Hmm, no, it`s not the blades. It could be though.
But I realised what it is. It came by just thinking of some other.
I had to make it stop drifting as it makes the onboard video poor (not related to the focus problem though) and to be able to fly it better, than have to correct all the time the bird from turning by itself.
So I adjusted again the proportional pot and then, voila, Irealised what I had done after the good onboard video.
Ihad increased the gyro`s sensitivity, so to be as stable as it can be. This gave me some wagging I didn`t bother to decrease it a bit.

So it must be the gyro`s sensitivity Iguess.
I have to check though.

I cooked 4 more packs at the evening! I went nuts today!
I have to buy either more batteries, or more chargers!
(I said I went nuts today)

Spiros
Old 05-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Edmund2

Spiros. loved the cat video and the sound of the brushless motors. Just had UBOL out on it's first real outside flight, landing on top oftruck roofs standingin the parking lot. So much more power than stock BOL. Only brought 1lipo alongand did not go too high as I did not want it to run out way up there. 50incoming posts since Fridayafternoon. Read it all but your last twoover the weekend.

Are you now suffering from Brain's illness as I noticed you made the one video@23h30?

Edmund2
Old 05-24-2010, 01:13 AM
aircrash

Hi Edmund,

I usually fly till 23:00 so I don`t bother the neighbors. Else I have no problem to fly late, as the wind is calm every night.
The good thing is that it does not make a lot of noise.

The brushless has a lot of power indeed. Even at 656g with the 11T pinions had enough power... So you get it easy at first, as you did.

Have a nice day.

Spiros

Old 05-24-2010, 01:21 AM
Edmund2

Spiros, also noticed the increase in your flying skills over the last weeks, as with everything in life the more you do it the better you become at it. Trust UBOL will give me lots of joy.

Edmund2

Old 05-24-2010, 03:46 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: sgbfly
But I would have to pay the double the monthly fee
. I do not, so I can buy even more parts! [img][/img]
ROFL
Hi Guys,
FYI I have one of these call plans at work. [img][/img]
I'm going to have to down tools now because I have visitors. My progress is attached [img][/img]
I also bought 2 of these Wera 1.5mm Allen screw drivers. They are the best hex drivers I have! [img][/img]
ps. Nice vid Brian! [img][/img]
pps. Peter, should you be minded to get one of these. Feel free to email at will!
Nice flying everyone[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif][sm=teeth_smile.gif][sm=regular_smile.gif][sm=tongue_smile.gif][sm=49_49.gif] - that is the best way to not forget anyone!!

Hey again Simon,

I have no plans to go to another bird now - I will just fly the ones I have forever (or until there is no longer parts available)

Old 05-24-2010, 05:37 AM
aircrash

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

I have no plans to go to another bird now - I will just fly the ones I have forever <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);">(or until there is no longer parts available</span>)

Hi Peter,

This is actually my intention. <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);">Only that I will have so many parts that it will fly almost for ever.</span>
Only the batteries will go off.

Today it`s a holiday, so I went to a square I had not gone before. It was great but I took only 4 packs...
Not a calm day but a slight breeze was more than OK.
I was so excited that I could not wait for the motors to be cooled down. Two packs were on onboard video, so they got hot.

I must build this bb BOL and I may have to fit another servo horn to the elevator. It has not so good speed against the wind. The cause is the swashplate that has shorter ball links, but this is good for the aileron response and the good hovering (as the trimming can be more precise while the movement of the swashplate makes less movement to the rotor`s blade angle).

So I can wait for some parts I have on the go.

Spiros

Old 05-24-2010, 07:38 AM
aircrash

Here`s the video. (another one)
I really liked Vince`s idea of having two cameras, one onboard and one hat-cam.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xMRtI7DAa8[/youtube]

The gyro sensitivity setting was decreased just a little bit, almost nothing, still it corrected the focus problem.
But the quality may be better if I insert more (or less) the camera to the sponge holder.
I have to get better on this.

Enjoy.

Spiros
Old 05-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Ooben

Hi all, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I wasn't going to post anything until I had read all the posts on this thread. However, after my adventures this weekend, I thought I would share them with everyone. I've found a few things to do with your Big Lama when you start getting bored with it.....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H30YFw5a7jE[/youtube]

This was a failed attempt to push over my wife's quilt studio, ok, so that wasn't all that exciting, so I thought I would try this....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjL1_3aGkgM[/youtube]

I found that the length and pitch of the rotors are not ideal for underwater travel, I'll do some more testing and get back to you on what works the best......

Anyway, after my Big Lama's brief career as a submarine, it checked out ok after I dried everything off....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb2IbcxX2Ok[/youtube]

I would like to thank the members of this forum for sharing all their knowledge, it has really shortened my learning curve,(with the exception of the little swimming episode....)
Mike

Old 05-24-2010, 10:38 AM
vincefly

Spiros,

When compared to my two camera attempt, You rate as a Professional. Your flight footage is so
vibration free that it is easy to see smaller details than in my attempts. I suspect that most of the
reduction is because you take great care in "tuning" your bird. The rest must be in the way you
mount your camera. Could you describe the way you do it so that I can attempt to copy it?

Vince
<br type="_moz"/>
Old 05-24-2010, 01:05 PM
aircrash

Hi Vince,

Ithink it`s the sponge I use. I may upload a picture if Ihave not already.
The flybar link rod adjustment also makes a difference.
If I find time I`ll tell you more of what I have found.
Please do feel comfortable to ask again, as you`ll see I`ll be a bit busy the next days.

Hi Mike and welcome to the BOL lovers!
I have to watch your videos. Next thing I`ll do will be this.

Hi everybody,

Well... Hmm, do you remember the good flying and with all the work Ihad done on it BOL?
Forget about it!

No, I did not bought a 450!
I must forget about it though. As I lost it!
I went to the park, a bit windy. OK , Isaid.
But remember I told you it`s not good at FF at wind?
Well, it could not get back to me, the wind took it away, kept going far away, I tried... but no!
It went behind some trees, at a closed area inside the park. I could not get there though.

I should have killed the throttle, even if it would drop from 20m it would have some damage but at least I would get some parts of it.
I did not killed the throttle, I lowered it, lost some height, then applied FF and throttle, no, the wind was stronger than its power...

I should have killed the throttle!
Now I learnt the small damage is better than no BOL at all.

So I must get ready the #3 BOLI have (now only 2). It needs taping, leds, credit card battery holder mod, heatsinks, xtreme extended shaft and cup.

Have fun,

Spiros
Old 05-24-2010, 02:11 PM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Ooben

Hi all, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I wasn't going to post anything until I had read all the posts on this thread. However, after my adventures this weekend, I thought I would share them with everyone. I've found a few things to do with your Big Lama when you start getting bored with it.....

This was a failed attempt to push over my wife's quilt studio, ok, so that wasn't all that exciting, so I thought I would try this....

I found that the length and pitch of the rotors are not ideal for underwater travel, I'll do some more testing and get back to you on what works the best......[img][/img]

Anyway, after my Big Lama's brief career as a submarine, it checked out ok after I dried everything off....

I would like to thank the members ]of this forum for sharing all their knowledge, it has really shortened my learning curve,(with the exception of the little swimming episode....)
Mike

Mike,

I'm just gonna say it.

You sir, are a maniac!

Welcome to the group!

Brian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.